BMW X1 - all new 2016 please date Thailand?

MrJ

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/19/2016 at 11:27 PM, mortenaa said:

Could you tell us which brands official dealers do this?

I thought this thread was about BMW X1 - so obviously I am talking about BMW.. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find a reasonably extensive list of options available from Mercedes for my A series. Wheel size/Wheel Colour. Interior colour/ Choice of two seat styles and materials. Adaptive/standard suspension, sports/standard exhaust, Mechanical looking diff, Steering wheel style and option of matt effect paint.  Choosing any of these added up to a longer delivery period but I did get that "premium" feeling.  More importantly you feel you are getting the spec you want rather than the more usual "one size fits all" idea.

Worse still, If you decide not to buy from an official dealer in Thailand the grey market guys often choose options that no farang would want.. Red leather steering wheel anyone ?

12 hours ago, Pdaz said:

I was pleasantly surprised to find a reasonably extensive list of options available from Mercedes for my A series. Wheel size/Wheel Colour. Interior colour/ Choice of two seat styles and materials. Adaptive/standard suspension, sports/standard exhaust, Mechanical looking diff, Steering wheel style and option of matt effect paint.  Choosing any of these added up to a longer delivery period but I did get that "premium" feeling.  More importantly you feel you are getting the spec you want rather than the more usual "one size fits all" idea.

Worse still, If you decide not to buy from an official dealer in Thailand the grey market guys often choose options that no farang would want.. Red leather steering wheel anyone ?

I think this is because A class was a CBU so they could spec from a factory in Europe and the reason why it took a while to get here.

This wasn't particularly profitable for them hence the reason you can only get the AMG model now in Thailand officially.

Depending on the production line they usually won't allow you to spec individual options in Thailand for cars manufactured here. Slows down and complicates the manufacturing process. They like repetitive actions, though I think charging and extra 5% would probably net them quite a few orders for customised finishes.

Yes it's a CBU, hence the long lead time and the ability to customise. I wondered why the standard A series had disappeared from the Merc Thailand's website. Guess not a big seller here. I've been frustrated in the past when wanting to spec a manual in highest to trim level/largest cc from Honda/Toyoya only to find "can not'  Used to think that was crazy when they are made here. But you explanation of how the production line is set up answered that. Thanks.

It seems whatever is a hit overseas never makes it in Thailand or doesn't last long.

VW Golf/Passat, Sporty Renault hatchbacks, Nissan Qashqui and a whole host of good cars unavailable here. The Govt's stand on import tax really reduces choice for Thais.. The difference is nowadays cos of the internet many of them are starting to realize what they are missing.. Guess my Merc is gonna be another "weird egg" for the Thais to puzzle at.. Maybe shoulda saved up for the M2 after all :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2016 at 9:44 AM, MrJ said:

yes mostly but a few CKD diesel have been delivered already was sitting in pre ordered a M Sport white pearl at my dealer and didn't liked the exterior compared to the X Line (as Diesel as well on display) but expecting it better in other colors.

But if you order right now you have to wait for the diesel infill September, while petrol are available right away

So I am still undecided (power, 8 speed transmission, sport seats and steering wheel of the M or saving 300K for the benzene?) and checking out the show room in Germany at the moment to find a solution.

Any expierence with BMW diesel particle filter when mostly do short and city driving?

just changed my order in the last second - could test drive1st time the petrol X1 1.8i at the Pattaya dealer yesterday and was disappointed by the performance, so canceled the petrol and changed to 1.8d M Sport but have to wait for delivery about 2 months (hoping may get lucky and get it earlier)

1 hour ago, MrJ said:

just changed my order in the last second - could test drive1st time the petrol X1 1.8i at the Pattaya dealer yesterday and was disappointed by the performance, so canceled the petrol and changed to 1.8d M Sport but have to wait for delivery about 2 months (hoping may get lucky and get it earlier)

I think it's a better choice. This engine in my 218i is fine but in an SUV with an extra 100kg is probably lightweight.

On seeing the M Sport in person I switched too and collected the same day. Hope you don't have to wait long.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 7/15/2016 at 5:14 AM, MrJ said:

and its still a Mazda.........good car but different level of product

Why, if you stuck the BMW Badge on the Mazda, no one would know. I use not own an X and its not worth IMill more than any similar Asian brand, it just more "Get Me Darlin". like a mid range Benz against a Nissan ,Toyo,or Honda top models.

20 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Why, if you stuck the BMW Badge on the Mazda, no one would know. I use not own an X and its not worth IMill more than any similar Asian brand, it just more "Get Me Darlin". like a mid range Benz against a Nissan ,Toyo,or Honda top models.

Didn't really understand your post (a little too much Mother's Day partying?) but I think I agree with you ?

BMWs are great cars but unless one is really wealthy it's a hard purchase to justify for ordinary buyers. I'm looking at the new X3D Highline (only one model now) at 3.5M...but will wait 2 years or so to get used with 1M whacked off or buy new CX5 diesel.