This is partly why things stagnate here. PUBLIC TRANSPORT RANT.

dhream

its early NYE. The Thai missus and I have tried to get Taxi using all available means, including grabtaxi.

Sure they can take us out, but not bring us home, Not even for 1000 Baht!

So apart from one of us having to stay sober, we have to take our vehicle out onto the roads where others will be even more idiotic than usual, or simply stay home.

And yet, they ban uber, how ironic given entrepreneurs of any size here are otherwise allowed to operate.

It's retrograde protectionist policies like this that protect their woeful taxi 'service', and contribute to Road carnage, happy new-year everyone.

Edited by dhream

Book a guest house in advance is the best solution if one of you wont keep off the booze.

We're staying home. Can't be bothered heading into town with all this BKK idiots blocking all the roads. Not sure what's safest. Me driving after a few beers (that's a few beers, not legless, but, hey, all you puritans let rip...) or my wife sober laugh.png

I m in Bangkok, Silom area, deliberately so, after trying to cope with CM traffic madness the last few years. Guess what? Bangkok is like a ghost town, apart from taxis almost no traffic at all, think this will be my preferred location from now on for both Songkran and New Year....they all come to CM, so lets all go to BKK for a quiet relaxed holiday!!!

Took me four hours to drive from Bang Saray into Pattaya and back. (Normally I can do it in an hour.) Police were utterly ineffectual at grabbing offenders - baht bus drivers and the like who park up and block one of the few lanes moving on 2nd road.

Was really fun in town. And astonishing to see the number of people all around the moat near Thapae, and up and down Loy Kroh.

Made me wonder 'where ARE all those people normally?!'. Loy Kroh could be like that every weekend night..

Anyway, public transport is doable but I agree that the first indications are that Grabtaxi is a bust. So you just get tuktuks and red buses, they're mostly alright. And once you get to know a couple good ones, really quite reasonably priced. (Especially considering the overall expenses of a night out.)

For me I took it very easy on the drinks and took a conservative route back home. The increased policing of drunk driving really is a good thing. It does require throwing some money to your friendly public transport providers. (In which I don't include "meter" taxis, of course.) I think the effect is almost visible already in that I used to see much crazier driving on nights like this at 2am. I bet the casualty numbers will be way down this year, for the city area and surroundings at least.

Anyway.

post-64232-0-18443000-1451614119_thumb.j

post-64232-0-26656300-1451614118_thumb.j

post-64232-0-19357300-1451614117_thumb.j

post-64232-0-10228500-1451614116_thumb.j

Oh yeah.. some things I missed:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well reading all the other posts it would appear that there is no stagnation here in Chiang Mai. It would not surprise me if your story of woe happened in many cities.

I mean really New Years eve and you expect the taxi service to be as available as it is on June 13th.

Was really fun in town. And astonishing to see the number of people all around the moat near Thapae, and up and down Loy Kroh.

Made me wonder 'where ARE all those people normally?!'. Loy Kroh could be like that every weekend night..

Anyway, public transport is doable but I agree that the first indications are that Grabtaxi is a bust. So you just get tuktuks and red buses, they're mostly alright. And once you get to know a couple good ones, really quite reasonably priced. (Especially considering the overall expenses of a night out.)

For me I took it very easy on the drinks and took a conservative route back home. The increased policing of drunk driving really is a good thing. It does require throwing some money to your friendly public transport providers. (In which I don't include "meter" taxis, of course.) I think the effect is almost visible already in that I used to see much crazier driving on nights like this at 2am. I bet the casualty numbers will be way down this year, for the city area and surroundings at least.

Anyway.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

Oh yeah.. some things I missed:

Your 4th image from the top, is really quite nice!

Are you selling these?

Anyway, fine shot that reminds one of Lunar New Years of Yesteryear, with the smoke and clamor, crackling and hollering.

Edited by BaronOfThunder

I did the twenty minute walk to Nimman.....it was OK, and they let things stay open, but TBH, the service and fun at the bars is much better duringthe week, without the weekend warriors, and/or the HiSos, and/or the people from Bangkok. I almost got on a red with a group of Chinese at the corner of Suthep, but kept walking. They finally caught up with me at Soi 13...so the negotiations must have been fierce for the 700 meter fare.

So, there should be more govt works programs to aid people who want to get drunk sometimes… especially on holidays… my guess is that there are other priorities...

I am glad you are responsible enough not to drink and drive - but it sounds like the other poster who suggested a guest house for one night had the right idea. Do it up big and take a nice hotel… have a great buffet b-fast in the morning and then go back home…

In the misery-loves-company vein, if it makes you feel any better, Pattaya is no better than what you describe for CM. No metered taxis, no municipal bus lines, GrabTaxi success rate less than 50% -- especially for advance bookings -- and the private car services will only do long distance runs, like to BKK and beyond. If you live off of the main baht bus (sawng-taew) routes, you better own and use your own car/moto-sai or really enjoy walking.

I m in Bangkok, Silom area, deliberately so, after trying to cope with CM traffic madness the last few years. Guess what? Bangkok is like a ghost town, apart from taxis almost no traffic at all, think this will be my preferred location from now on for both Songkran and New Year....they all come to CM, so lets all go to BKK for a quiet relaxed holiday!!!

The scene during Songkhran will be quite different in the Silom area.

The opposite of a ghost town.

Right, the ones going out at the same time as others are not the brightest individuals in my opinion...

But usually they know it only after !

Book a guest house in advance is the best solution if one of you wont keep off the booze.

We're staying home. Can't be bothered heading into town with all this BKK idiots blocking all the roads. Not sure what's safest. Me driving after a few beers (that's a few beers, not legless, but, hey, all you puritans let rip...) or my wife sober laugh.png

I've spent NYE in BKK a couple of times now and it really is the best time to be there. Possibly one of the best places in LOS to be for NYE, due to the mass exodus of Thais & tourists to other top destinations around the land.

I've spent NYE in BKK a couple of times now and it really is the best time to be there. Possibly one of the best places in LOS to be for NYE, due to the mass exodus of Thais & tourists to other top destinations around the land.

I absolutely agree. Will be going again next year, just after Christmas until 1st or 2nd January works very well !!

Went out to a friend's place outside CM, street party. Inhaled a few Scotches, certainly could not have driven back safely. Had fireworks, fire balloons, plenty of food and good company, mix of falang and Thai. Slept over, drove back to the apartment 8 am with a clear conscience. Hardly a car on the road. Happy New Year to everyone.biggrin.png

In the misery-loves-company vein, if it makes you feel any better, Pattaya is no better than what you describe for CM. No metered taxis, no municipal bus lines, GrabTaxi success rate less than 50% -- especially for advance bookings -- and the private car services will only do long distance runs, like to BKK and beyond. If you live off of the main baht bus (sawng-taew) routes, you better own and use your own car/moto-sai or really enjoy walking.

My experience there was that even on the main songthaew routes half the time you had to be at a certain placer or they would pass you by.

Why do people keep repeating the lie that Uber is banned in Thailand?

I've used Uber several times over the past year; the last time I used Uber in Bangkok was 2 weeks ago.

As long as you are promoting them on the Chiang Mai forum care to give us their Chiang Mai phone number?

Edited by northernjohn

My experience there was that even on the main songthaew routes half the time you had to be at a certain placer or they would pass you by.

really? I own a small place in Pattaya as well as my main place Chiang Mai (pied-a-terre) and only use red buses and wave them down and hardly wait 10 seconds

Edited by LannaGuy

Did my first BKK NYE just past, I was amazed at how quiet it was, we had a great time ?

The last 3 on Samui seemed busier!!!!

Those idiot baht bus drivers were not accepting jump on jump off at new year eve. They were only accepting private hire only. I suppose the mafia got together and all agreed to stitch everyone up. They were asking stupid money for a run from soi 8 to walking street and again the same going the other way along second road. Thousands of people all wanting to use the buses and telling the drivers to bleep off when they were told the fare. Result was everyone on foot and hundreds of empty baht buses driving in a circle around beach road and second road. Loads of them parked up waiting for a fare. A night when they should make a packet transporting the hoards I guess turned into a night with not much to show for their efforts. I expect they will see the folly of it all and next year will be different. Also I wonder if there will be some sort of backlash from the authorities as a result of their behavior. It was most inconvenient to say the least.

Den'

yup, Bangkok is great during songkran. IT's actually a pleasure to drive in BKK during songkran.

The songtaew drivers are like soi dogs....they are nothingto worry about, and kind of friendly on an individual basis, but as a group, they become very protective of their turf, and become hunters. Mostly all bark, no bite.