Returning to Thailand after a 3, almost 4 month break...

Hi

I lived in Thailand up until early October of last year

I had lived there for just over a year and a half on a visitors visa via a u.s. passport.

I have had one over stay of 10 days just before I renewed my visa for three more months in Mai Hong Son

I over stayed for one day a year before, due to a holiday

I left Thailand 2nd of Oct, a few days after my visa renewal in Mae Hong Son,

as my flight to New ealand was a few days after my last visitors visa.

I am returning now and hoping to stay for another year plus.

Last out of the country visa run was to Savannakhat in Laos

as when I went up to

forgot the name,

in Laos ,

further north

where I had always gone for mostly double entry visas except for one single entry visa once,

I was turned away n denied.

Savanakhet was easy to get th new double entry visa.

Ok so being gone 3 months.

I will get

? 30 days visa upon entry, correct?

then Ill have to do a visa run to,

best to ? savanakhet?

rather then up further north in laos?

get a double entry visa there.

Since I was up north n denied,

can I ever go up there again n be assured of a visa?

Now, that I have been gone a while, I ask.

What new Thai visa laws are in place, if any?

I wish to stay another year or possibly a few years, if I chose.

Thanks for your insights n facts,

prior to their receipt.

Kindly

No double entry Visas available anymore outside of your home country. METV (multiple entry Tourist Visa) only available in home country. Single entry visas still available in neighboring countries.

Where are you now....

What reason were you given for being denied in Laos ...

Why not get a SETV instead of relying on Visa exempt entry ...

Im visiting back in New eland where I have a permenant residency visa to live for some years before happily coming to Thailand.

I will not ever chose to return back to the united slaves.

So, I need to apply to the thai embassy here in New ealand (?) to get a double entry visa,

is this correct?

If I came to Thailand Id only get 30 days n x ing the boarder only get 3 months maximum?

could I get a series of those like one use to the double entry visas?

Is this new rule likely to change as I knoe Thail laws are often changing.

In answer to the question what reason was I given for no visa extension in further no Laos. I had come to get them too many times there I was told. Thus why I went to Savanakhet.

Im visiting back in New eland where I have a permenant residency visa to live for some years before happily coming to Thailand.

So, I need to apply to the thai embassy here in New ealand (?) to get a double entry visa,

is this correct?

If I came to Thailand Id only get 30 days n x ing the boarder only get 3 months maximum?

In answer to the question what reason was I given for no visa extension in further no Laos. I had come to get them too many times there I was told. Thus why I went to Savanakhet.

Double entry visas are no longer issued.

The new multi-entry tourist visa allows multiple entries of 60 days/entry for six months.

is this correct?

As said a 2 entry tourist visa is no longer available. You best option would be to apply for the new multiple entry tourist visa that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months. By dong an entry just before the visa expires you can get almost 9 months of total stay from it.

You could a apply for it at the embassy in Wellington since you are resident of New Zealand.. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/wellington/th/services/779/17622-Tourist-Visa.html

• If the embassy in Vientiane, Laos denied you a visa you should avoid going there. If you get a new passport or allow enough (unknown) time they might give you one on the future,
  • You should get a single entry tourist visa (SETV) or better still a new multiple entry tourist visa (METV) from New Zealand before returning to Thailand.
  • When your SETV/METV expires you can get more SETV's (only) locally but each embassy/consulate will have a limit so you might need to apply in different countries.
  • The METV is only available from countries that you have permeant residency, so in your case NZ or the US.

Your best option would be a METV from NZ followed by a SETV from a neighbouring country. With extensions of stay that will give you about 1 year. At the end of that year you could continue on SETV's or return to NZ for a new METV and repeat.

Edited by elviajero

Scanning through your original post I didn't notice that you mentioned your age. Maybe I missed it.

If you're over 50 you could get a non-imm O visa and, while in Thailand, apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. The extension would be good for a year added on to your visa permission to stay. It would require money in a Thai bank and/or proof of income certified by your embassy.

With a re-entry permit you could exit and enter as you like during the life of the extension. No need to be continually resident in Thailand. To continue the extension you would just need to be in Thailand around the time it expires so that you can renew for another year.

It is all very well saying that someone should get a METV, but in some countries, the requirements are beyond belief and quite impractical !!

The requirements are only impractical for some that are not using the visa for it's purpose. It's a multiple entry tourist visa. If you don't live in Thailand and want to visit multiple times over a 6 month period it works.

If you can't produce the required paperwork in NZ for an METV you should still be able to get a 60 day SETV there. If you enter on a 30 day waiver you will only be able to extend it by 30 days giving you 60 days in all. If you get a SETV you can extend that by 30 days giving you 90 days.

Edited by Kathiejs