Thai foods you would not eat

ableguy

Andrew Zimmerman did an episode on his show Bizarre Foods about Issan. His guide was a woman from Bangkok. The farmers went out and showed him how to catch the rats . If eating them is'nt bad enough they really did'nt even clean and prepare them . What they did was just chop up the entire dead corpse throw it in a wok with some herbs chili peppers and serve it. There was the guts, head, tail ,brains ,eyes etc. I don't even think they completely got all the fur off.Of course Zimmerman tried it, as is his personal policy. But the woman from Bangkok absolutely refused. She was revolted by the whole thing. The people who prepared it were somewhat put off by her refusing to eat it.But she was like screw customs and tradition I am not eating that vile filth.. She was funny. But that has my vote as the worst thing I've ever could imagine eating.Insects not so bad but I draw the line at cockroaches.

Yes that sounds atrocious but there were actually grosser things on the Anthony Bourdain episode. So it's a contest now -- not only disgusting but the MOST disgusting!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew Zimmerman did an episode on his show Bizarre Foods about Issan. His guide was a woman from Bangkok. The farmers went out and showed him how to catch the rats . If eating them is'nt bad enough they really did'nt even clean and prepare them . What they did was just chop up the entire dead corpse throw it in a wok with some herbs chili peppers and serve it. There was the guts, head, tail ,brains ,eyes etc. I don't even think they completely got all the fur off.Of course Zimmerman tried it, as is his personal policy. But the woman from Bangkok absolutely refused. She was revolted by the whole thing. The people who prepared it were somewhat put off by her refusing to eat it.But she was like screw customs and tradition I am not eating that vile filth.. She was funny. But that has my vote as the worst thing I've ever could imagine eating.Insects not so bad but I draw the line at cockroaches.

His name is Zimmern. Just sayin..

One thing I can't stand here in Thailand or anywhere else is cilantro, or "pak she" in Thai. It tastes like soap to me and ruins any food that has it in it. Unfortunately, Thai cooks put it in a lot of things. I always have to say, "Mai ow pak she" when ordering out. I agree with a few other posters about eating raw meat. The danger of getting liver fluke or trichinosis is just too great. Personally, I'm not real fond of fermented rice deserts, but find most other Thai foods delicious.

• 3 weeks later...

My GF is dying for dancing shrimp and I will try them if she ever tracks down a place that has them.

I don't know where you live but opposite soi udomsuk, I believe sukhumvit 66 sells them at one of the food stalls.

Good luck ;)

Too late.

Eaten it all.

One fond memory of eating a delicious beef noodle dish one morning after a gruelling mountain hike with my group of international/western buddies, which included one Thai who did the ordering. Halfway through our noodles, to the consternation of several diners, our Thai friend asks, "how do you like the cow anus?"

• 1 month later...

Archived