Thai foods you would not eat

ableguy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this part of the world they eat placentas so Thailand is rather tame with weird foods. Caramelized crickets, just because the legs get stuck in my teeth.

Actually, eating cow placenta is quite popular in Thailand. I also heard they like to put partially digested cow faeces on food to enhance the taste.

They eat that so they can talk more shit ((:

Whenever I comment to my wife on Thai foods I would never eat (We lived in my home country for 15 years) she smiles sweetly at me and says, blue cheese, she finds the small revolting, frogs legs in garlic butter sauce, snails in garlic butter sauce. I hold my hands up and say Truce.

Yeah, there are lots of foods eaten in Thailand and elsewhere which are, to say the least, off-putting.

The various tripe and internal organs of animals eaten raw are fairly revolting and so are the lightly feathered embryos of various fowl, the numerous insects, and the blood and bile atrocities people consume. However, let us not forget the refuse yeast of breweries. I first encountered Marmite and Vegemite in Thailand years ago. They are right up there on the revolting list--somewhat akin to salty axle grease.

Many of the issan foods are responsible for liver fluke and several public campaigns have been attempted over the years to get people to stop eating uncooked stuff. Sooner or later they will see the light and start eating much more Macs and KFC. Hey presto no more liver fluke, just obesity.

I'll have a go at most thai food as long as it contains no chilli and does not smell like rotting corpses.

Which leaves you with more or less sod all....

My food comes from the supermarket.

The supermarket is located in Thailand.

Therefore the steak I purchase at said supermarket is Thai.

I avoid all "street" food because it is unclean. Most restaurants are also quite dirty "behind the curtains". If I can't see that it is being prepared clean, I won't have anything to do with it. Now, if I were starving, that would be another matter. I'm not, so far.

As to what I will not eat, most Thai food. It looks like slop and glop. No, thank you!

In this part of the world they eat placentas so Thailand is rather tame with weird foods. Caramelized crickets, just because the legs get stuck in my teeth.

Actually, eating cow placenta is quite popular in Thailand. I also heard they like to put partially digested cow faeces on food to enhance the taste.

I think McDonald's have the patented rights to the latter.

Durian, jackfruit, bugs, and anything containing bplaa ráa. Thai's love bplaa ráa at the expense of liver flukes a high mortality rate due to liver disease. Somtom tastes just great with just lime juice and not (uggg) bplaa ráa.

The entire menu at McDonalds, it's a proven killer.

Proven you say, where are the facts ?

Super Size Me - documentary film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock.

There's no right or wrong here. I like a Big Mac and fries 2 or 3 times a year, but a steady diet like many Westerns indulge in??? Draw your own conclusions.

Yeah, there are lots of foods eaten in Thailand and elsewhere which are, to say the least, off-putting.

The various tripe and internal organs of animals eaten raw are fairly revolting and so are the lightly feathered embryos of various fowl, the numerous insects, and the blood and bile atrocities people consume. However, let us not forget the refuse yeast of breweries. I first encountered Marmite and Vegemite in Thailand years ago. They are right up there on the revolting list--somewhat akin to salty axle grease.

Vegemite on hot toast, so that it mixes with the melting butter & soaks into the toast.

Or mix vegemite with avocado & spread that on your toast.

Both go great with scalding hot coffee on a frosty morning.

You can also dissolve vegemite in boiling water for an early morning hot drink, although it doesn't make as good a drink as Bovril.

l don't buy vegemite anymore as it has a Halal symbol on the label which means the company has paid graft to the lslamic Certification Board.

Where does that money end up?

The entire menu at McDonalds, it's a proven killer.

Proven you say, where are the facts ?

Super Size Me - documentary film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock.

There's no right or wrong here. I like a Big Mac and fries 2 or 3 times a year, but a steady diet like many Westerns indulge in??? Draw your own conclusions.

So no proof then.

Just as I suspected.

Wash your mouth out with soap. Don't you know Vegemite is the standard breakfast food of millions of Australians? It kick-starts the taste buds.

Back on topic, my Thai GF likes the fish eyes after I eat the fish. Northern Thai sausage ( Sai ua ) I quite like, don't know how it compares with Isaan sausage.

Chili is a good way to prevent internal parasites, which is why the Thais slather it on. To those who have eaten frogs in Thailand, if you saw where

they come from, you would never do it again.rolleyes.gif

Mind you, we shouldn't complain too much.

Many animal parts that may be destined for dog food in our home countries fetch premium prices here. This keeps the cost of what we may consider premium cuts low.

Last week, the cheapest chicken cut was breast, lower per kg than chicken feet, gizzards and skin. Only cheaper part of the chicken was the chicken carcass, which is great for me as I can make a chicken soup for next to nothing. Often the butcher doesn't do a good job of cutting up the chicken and there is loads of meat left on it.

I am quite proud to say that in my 11 years here I have never, not once, climbed a mountain.

took a van trip, went jet sking. nor the most dangerous of all, eaten any Thai food ! I have never

when requested, removed my shoes. bowed to anyone ,nor gone to the temple of rocks. Crossing my

residential threshold, you Enter the US and you may smoke/drink/eat a greasy hamburger/curse/tell

the whole truth, actually, do most anything you wish but........ not fondle the woman in red !

I am quite proud to say that in my 11 years here I have never, not once, climbed a mountain.

took a van trip, went jet sking. nor the most dangerous of all, eaten any Thai food ! I have never

when requested, removed my shoes. bowed to anyone ,nor gone to the temple of rocks. Crossing my

residential threshold, you Enter the US and you may smoke/drink/eat a greasy hamburger/curse/tell

the whole truth, actually, do most anything you wish but........ not fondle the woman in red !

I wouldn't call that a list to be proud of, but I guess it takes all sorts.

You've seriously never eaten a single bite of Thai food in 11 years? I find that pretty hard to believe.

I used to eat pla ra and poo kem but stopped after hearing horror stories, I have eaten a few bugs for Thai's amusement including some ants and ant eggs just last week. Not big spoonfuls but I tried it. I like the BBQ chicken livers although it took me a while to get used to it as we don't eat it that way back home. I was offered some wild pig tongue last week and declined. I don't know why Isaan sausage would be a scary thing, I have loved it since I got here. I like that sour taste even though I know it has been sitting in the sun for days. My friend used to devour this "mushroom soup" until my GF told hime the main ingredient was fish stomach, now suddenly he does not buy it. I don't like blood products unless its Irish pudding which I put off until last year but relented to an Irish friend and have to admit it was delicious. My GF is dying for dancing shrimp and I will try them if she ever tracks down a place that has them. I tried a tiny piece of freeze dried durian and that was enough for a lifetime. I've eaten the pounded sun dried and shredded squid and went back for seconds. I have had the raw prawn dish several times which lacks any real flavor but have grown accustomed to the raw crab som tum. I actually prefer it to the cooked version if the crab is fresh. As others have said I refuse to eat those things Thais call a hot dog. In New York that chicken tube doesn't cut it. I came here to try new things and I stick to that mantra. I have never been sick (how do I say this gently) through my pie hole but my corn hole has been through some adventures to say the least. I left my country because I was bored as hell. I don't have that problem here. Every day I learn something from Thai people who love to share their food, language and culture which is exactly what I wanted. I say "Bon Appetit"!!!!

This has been a fascinating (if often disgusting) thread. (Perhaps it should have a spoiler alert attached to it).

What conclusion can one draw from all this gruesome description of the Thai diet? Is it a coincidence that life expectancy in the West is longer than it is in Thailand????

Andrew Zimmerman did an episode on his show Bizarre Foods about Issan. His guide was a woman from Bangkok. The farmers went out and showed him how to catch the rats . If eating them is'nt bad enough they really did'nt even clean and prepare them . What they did was just chop up the entire dead corpse throw it in a wok with some herbs chili peppers and serve it. There was the guts, head, tail ,brains ,eyes etc. I don't even think they completely got all the fur off.Of course Zimmerman tried it, as is his personal policy. But the woman from Bangkok absolutely refused. She was revolted by the whole thing. The people who prepared it were somewhat put off by her refusing to eat it.But she was like screw customs and tradition I am not eating that vile filth.. She was funny. But that has my vote as the worst thing I've ever could imagine eating.Insects not so bad but I draw the line at cockroaches.

Archived