New Zealand Dollar Account Very High Interest More Than 7% A Year

Banks in Hong Kong and Singapore and many other locations offer more than 7% per year interest on New Zealand dollar fixed term account. I plan to open a fixed 6 month auto roll-over New Zealand dollar account in my HK bank with over 7% annual. Anyone have any insight why this currency offer such a high interest, and any risk involved?

Banks in Hong Kong and Singapore and many other locations offer more than 7% per year interest on New Zealand dollar fixed term account. I plan to open a fixed 6 month auto roll-over New Zealand dollar account in my HK bank with over 7% annual. Anyone have any insight why this currency offer such a high interest, and any risk involved?

You have answered the question yourself...

High yield = high risk and/or high imbalances.

It's fair, nope ?

On the other hand : Swiss franc... interest rate almost zero. Go figure...

You gain 7 % per annum, but you could lose much more in exchange rate against your home currency.

Think a currency like a stock, a share of the country wealth.

As for myself, I prefer AUD : lower yield 5.XX %) but stronger economic perspectives.

Even though the US dollar has weakened, the NZ dollar has weakened against the US dollar. That and the inflation rate is going to be closer to 4% than 3%. I think you will also have to pay NZ taxes on interest gained.

Even though the US dollar has weakened, the NZ dollar has weakened against the US dollar. That and the inflation rate is going to be closer to 4% than 3%. I think you will also have to pay NZ taxes on interest gained.

With an approved issuer like the BNZ, you can get an exemption from the Non Resident Withholding tax and instead pay only a 2% levy on the interest (I am a BNZ Private bank client, so this info is first hand).

As the saying goes; "more money has been lost chasing yields, than at the point of a gun". A couple of questions I'd ask myself are:

1) Would I be comfortable holding $NZD indefinitely, buying at today's exchange?

2) Is that a 3 wave correction on the chart (in which case you're in clover), or is it just finishing the fourth wave of a 5 wave correction.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$NZD...&a=57558232