Lost Phone in Taxi need advice

Na Fan

FYI I just spoke to an agent and the process is the following, if anyone should run into this and wishes to pursue it:

- Police report must be filed

- Copy of ID or passport along with the report must be sent to the carrier's legal department directly

- The carrier's legal will then directly work with some special unit at the Thai police

Welp, we'll see what happens next.

Fan

Steven, it's a Samsung Galaxy S5 black. No covers or otherwise fancy attachments.

yes, they have it at the MBK shopping mall ..... not sure how much but many there.

how much are you prepared to pay ??

Best joke I've heard yet this year. Too funny.

Steven, it's a Samsung Galaxy S5 black. No covers or otherwise fancy attachments.

yes, they have it at the MBK shopping mall ..... not sure how much but many there.

how much are you prepared to pay ??

Best joke I've heard yet this year. Too funny.

no ... I was just asking if you wish to get the same mobile .... just asking to help you ..

Mine fell out of my pocket on the bus. I noticed as soon as I got off at Tesco's so I went inside and used the phone to call my wife, she rang my number but it had been switched off. That could have only been about 6 or 7 minutes after I got off the bus.

I went to AIS the next day and they gave me another SIM card with the same number and the same balance, lost what was on the phone though.

I understand most of you are advising to just let it go. However, considering the circumstances I can't really do that:

1. We know the place and time the phone disappeared, down to the exact minute.

2. We have video of the driver, the car, the plate, including an image of his face. He also mentioned which province he's originally from and that he owns the car and didn't just rent it out.

3. We have the serial number of the phone, with which the cell phone carrier can track the phone, regardless of what SIM card is in it. I know the phone was fully charged and the battery lasts for days. If it was switched off somewhere, that's who has it (and I'd bet my cojones it's the driver).

4. I have all original receipts and the phone is on a contract (not prepaid)

5. It's an expensive phone and seeing how that guy just kept it as his own is something I can't allow to happen. That's theft

In my opinion that's as clear cut as it gets. It should be a piece of pie for the police to recover that phone.

What we did yesterday is the following:

- Contact the carrier's call center. They told us to go to the police station and report the loss, and take that report to the nearest carrier's shop.

- Cop filed the report and gave us a copy (on the same sheet of paper that also contained someone else's case, with personal details and all. Professional.)

- Off to the shop, they told us they can't do it. And referred us back to the cops

It's pretty much the same scenario that I've witnessed countless times. The call center staff is trained and knows what they're doing. The staff in the shop couldn't be more clueless and lazy.

Round two. I'm escalating this now internally with the carrier myself and will also escalate it with the cops through some contacts. Being screwed over by some low life scum isn't how I plan to start my new year.

Na Fan

you lost it and have no proof whatsoever that the taxi driver took it. you think he didn't have another fare but that is a quess.

I understand most of you are advising to just let it go. However, considering the circumstances I can't really do that:

2. We have video of the driver, the car, the plate, including an image of his face. He also mentioned which province he's originally from and that he owns the car and didn't just rent it out.

3. We have the serial number of the phone, with which the cell phone carrier can track the phone, regardless of what SIM card is in it. I know the phone was fully charged and the battery lasts for days. If it was switched off somewhere, that's who has it (and I'd bet my cojones it's the driver).

5. It's an expensive phone and seeing how that guy just kept it as his own is something I can't allow to happen. That's theft

In my opinion that's as clear cut as it gets. It should be a piece of pie for the police to recover that phone.

- Contact the carrier's call center. They told us to go to the police station and report the loss, and take that report to the nearest carrier's shop.

- Cop filed the report and gave us a copy (on the same sheet of paper that also contained someone else's case, with personal details and all. Professional.)

- Off to the shop, they told us they can't do it. And referred us back to the cops

It's pretty much the same scenario that I've witnessed countless times. The call center staff is trained and knows what they're doing. The staff in the shop couldn't be more clueless and lazy.

Round two. I'm escalating this now internally with the carrier myself and will also escalate it with the cops through some contacts. Being screwed over by some low life scum isn't how I plan to start my new year.

Na Fan

you lost it and have no proof whatsoever that the taxi driver took it. you think he didn't have another fare but that is a quess.

At that time, in this place, it's extremely unlikely - granted not impossible, but the odds are astronomical - that he got another fare. So yeah it's a guess, but a fairly accurate and educated one.

Na Fan

At that time, in this place, it's extremely unlikely - granted not impossible, but the odds are astronomical - that he got another fare. So yeah it's a guess, but a fairly accurate and educated one.

Do you know his working times then

Mobile phones, what's the point of them? More trouble than they're worth. Easy to lose. Easy to waste precious time looking at. I only use phone boxes for the past 8 years since I stopped using mobiles. Horrible inventions.

Astromnical odds that a Bangkok Taxi could pick up a fare in the early hours ???

Op you started this thread and alot of replies were trying to be objective , but honestly your sounding like a bloody jerk now.

Let it lie here and just go and do what you seem fit please

Mobile phones, what's the point of them? More trouble than they're worth. Easy to lose. Easy to waste precious time looking at. I only use phone boxes for the past 8 years since I stopped using mobiles. Horrible inventions.

What did you think about the invention of the phone box before that happened then ?

Bloody horrible invention them phone boxes , im gonna stick to morse code ???

Perform a remote reset for your phone which will take effect next time the phone is switched on.

Buy new phone and restore data and apps from the backup you should have been making regularly on your PC.

Buy a case with a tether for the new phone and attach to your belt or carry round your neck.

Be more careful in future, and don't be too quick to jump to the conclusion that the taxi driver kept it. I'm sure most taxi drivers don't bother to check or even clean the back seats of their cabs daily. Probably the next passenger has it.

You are putting a lot of effort into tracking down this phone and the "guilty" taxi driver.

Maybe next check you pocket and belongings before getting out of the taxi, it will save you a lot of stress and ill feelings towards people. Just a thought.

Na Fan

Please let us know how your reactive measures help you recover your phone. Then, do some proactive measures with your next phone.

Be more careful in future, and don't be too quick to jump to the conclusion that the taxi driver kept it. I'm sure most taxi drivers don't bother to check or even clean the back seats of their cabs daily. Probably the next passenger has it.

Well said.

Long time ago I went to Vietnam to see my GF and left phone in the taxi at DM. The following morning we were having coffee by the pool and my GF got a call. The taxi driver had rung the last number dialled. It was one of Mr T's cabs and I got my phone back about a week later when I returned to Pattaya.

If you have LINE notifications that pop up. Send yourself a message in Thai offering a reward and it will pop up on the screen.

Too late for you, but for others, put LookOut, or PreyProject on your phones and laptops. They can't be deleted by the thief. I gave my family the passwords. If Im murdered, theres a good chance the killer has my phone or laptop.

If you have LINE notifications that pop up. Send yourself a message in Thai offering a reward and it will pop up on the screen.

Too late for you, but for others, put LookOut, or PreyProject on your phones and laptops. They can't be deleted by the thief. I gave my family the passwords. If Im murdered, theres a good chance the killer has my phone or laptop.

Wow , thats some worst case scenario planning right there !

Smartphones are wonderful, except when you lose them and all the data on them. Which is why I carry a bog standard 500 baht dumb phone, if I lose it I'm out 500 baht and nothing else.

I'd agree with other posters the best shot is to call using a Thai speaker and offering a reward above the going rate for used phones of that brand and model.

Smartphones are wonderful, except when you lose them and all the data on them. Which is why I carry a bog standard 500 baht dumb phone, if I lose it I'm out 500 baht and nothing else.

I'd agree with other posters the best shot is to call using a Thai speaker and offering a reward above the going rate for used phones of that brand and model.

Thats the only reason?

Thats the only reason?

No, I also despise so-called smartphones for their habit of sending my emails off into cyberspace before I've finished them, never to be seen again. My hands are just too big for them.

If your murdered ?

Do you think someone is out to kill you for your phone / laptop. Is it the same taxi driver that made off with the OP's phone ?

You know the sayin ... you're more likely to get murdered by those you know than a stranger ... just sayin'.