3 wheeled motorcycle

watgate

I was riding up Huay Kaew toward the zoo and I saw an elderly man cruising along in a 3 wheeled motorcycle. I said to myself " Now I can handle that in Chiang Mai's crazy traffic". I never learned to ride a motorcycle and don't like the idea of trying to learn on the roads of Chiang Mai but I thought to myself I can handle a 3 wheeled motorcycle. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these 3 wheeled motorcycles or know anything about them. I don't know how fast they go and if they would not be recommended on the super highway but to get around Chiang Mai or head out to Mae Rim or San Kamphaeng or San Sai etc. they might do the trick. Any input would appreciated.

I have seen these around and I am guessing that the 3 wheeled motorbikes are custom made. They probably can go the same speeds as the 2 wheeled jobs but would have to take corners carefully not having the lean factor.

If you`re not a motorbike person or not had experience on the Thailand roads, I wouldn`t recommend getting one.

post-246045-0-19820100-1451737086_thumb.

Tried a Yamaha Tri City 3 wheeler for 4 days and quite liked it.

They are similar to a 2 wheeler in that they do not stand up on their own so don't think you would get a more stable bike at low speed.

Negatives - Takes up a little more room to park, seems harder to thread through traffic but it is not that much wider, not particularly powerful.

Positives - Fun to ride, brakes really really well and safely on wet roads ( it rained nearly everyday and I had it out when it was really pouring down.

- The 2 front wheels have a real benefit in the pot holes around Phuket. Generally easy to keep one wheel out and you do end up with a less bumpy road. Puncture a front wheel and the other one would get you home or to repair shop

At about B85,000 probably not badly priced.

For years I belonged to the four wheels good; two wheels bad club. Then on a family holiday we hired three motor bikes & I got to drive a two-wheeler for the first time since I was eleven. I loved it so much, I bought one. I was 70 at the time. Three years on I take every opportunity to buzz about on 2 wheels.

There is a shop on Sri Donchai opposite the temple at the moat end which sells the Honda Gyro 3 wheel motor bike. Its a 50cc machine which actually leans into bends. About 30,000 baht. Never ridden one but like yourself I feel I could handle one.

The Yamaha Trinity has three disk brakes and all three are activated by the left-hand lever. However, the two front brakes are activated only lightly. Very clever design. The right-hand lever activates the two front brakes strongly.

The transmission is very good also. It is automatic but has quite a lot of engine-braking. All in all, I think it is safer than a two-wheeler.

The scooters with two front wheels are a real gas to ride. The Piaggio comes in 250 and 400 versions. I doubt they are available in Thailand yet - ask at the Vespa dealership. But I have seen a couple of three wheelers in the last months advertised on TV or BHT Sold. The front wheeled versions that lean the wheels are very stable. Not really much different in width. They are very stable when cornering and especially on dodgy surfaces. I had a go on a friends 250 when back in OZ and am sold on the concept. They have to be a big plus if you are not steady on a scooter or inexperienced. I could really throw the thing around - much more than I would dare do on my little Honda 110. Also, as mentioned above, fantastic brakes which is a real plus. For around CM I think they would be great. Plenty on the MP3 model on the interweb.

I know that Yamaha are doing a model called the TriCity a 125cc motor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorcycle_manufacturers/yamaha/11055698/Yamaha-Tricity-review.html

There has been some comment on TV about this before.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719594-yamaha-tricity/

In my opinion rear double wheels that are fixed or basic suspension would be prone to flipping. The whole point of the new front system is that it has special suspension to prevent this from happening as it adjusts to the camber of the leaning in on corners.