Phuket property glut?

jamie obda

Only if you assume, as soo many expats wrongly have in the recent and long past, that the Baht is peaked and will now only go one way, down.  That thinking was wrong for over a decade...and while some average properties in Phuket are in a glut and its always buyer beware, the Baht currency as Bloomberg writes has been among the strongest in the world.  Regarding a comment a while back that most agree there is a Phuket property glut (and so not a wise investment), beware its an old investor reality: when it comes to investing, most are usually wrong. 

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, thaistocks said:

Only if you assume, as soo many expats wrongly have in the recent and long past, that the Baht is peaked and will now only go one way, down.  That thinking was wrong for over a decade...and while some average properties in Phuket are in a glut and its always buyer beware, the Baht currency as Bloomberg writes has been among the strongest in the world.  Regarding a comment a while back that most agree there is a Phuket property glut (and so not a wise investment), beware its an old investor reality: when it comes to investing, most are usually wrong. 

Yes, no one knows where the baht will go.  But you are using faulty logic  using hindsight as justification of a good investment.  You know...past returns and all that.

3 hours ago, thaistocks said:

Patong2 You seem to only have focused on Patong, which is in a world of its own. As pointed out in prev. post Sugar Palm Condo. example, right on the park and not on the beach has increased some 50% since opening besides the Baht vs. most other FX currencies appreciations. Perhaps you did not broaden your looking?   Even Shop-houses, ha  yet so flagged in horror 10-20 years ago, yet in many locations, notably Phuket town, have appreciated considerably.   But off your radar screen?  And no annual property taxes.  And contrary to in the US, here it did not collapse during the N. Atlantic induced global financial crisis.

You likely know next to nothing about the Thai share market...its human that "what we don't know we inherently don't like" (especially when it comes to ones' savings).  As a US based person you say, you likely also have the additional headache & audit trigger back home as to US taxes and complicated filings etc..which have nothing to do with merits on Thai property investing.   BTW, a strength or weakness of a currency where one invests is of paramount important metric to foreign investors and related to this discussion as a property glut does imply a financial risk and of loss (its the core)  and examples where given here on a property bought and sold for less, i.e. losses... implying a glut.

Interesting you should quote Sugar Palms, I certainly wasn't aware of it and had a look at the position.

It is neither in the centre of Phuket Town, nor near Central so  why do people buy or want to rent there? (The first question we ask when looking at an investment)

I am fairly familiar with other parts of the Island and have had spent months around Khon Khaew

near the British International School. I have seen reasonable quality places built and real crap built and 2 years down the track, many of both types, empty and I can only wonder how the body corp gets paid.

To me, it is an experts market and good luck to beginners in that. In our home country we joke about looking at a 100 houses before we buy (ie visit) and it was not far from the truth. And we have still made mistakes. You need to look at a lot to get the real feel for the market.

I am not looking to be speculative, have enough property survive most events, and am happy to sit and let my portfolio appreciate in a stable environment. 

As for shares, just gambling

You cannot control the way the executives reward themselves, and many 18 month managers abound and destroy the goodwill in companies. Same in most countries, so why would Thailand be any different. Again a market for people much cleverer than I.

As Thomas Stanley put it in his enlightening book "The Millionaire Next Door" you don't need to take too many risks to get comfortable.

12 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Yes, no one knows where the baht will go.  But you are using faulty logic  using hindsight as justification of a good investment.  You know...past returns and all that.

Not making future predictions here -at this venue.  I just made the point that even while the doomsayers acclaim a property glut in Phuket and then deduce/infer many endure loosing investments;  just tamed that down by showing the other benefit -nobody brought up.  From an expat view point its always about total returns, so obviously the currency change counts.  Sugar Palm Condo is right adjacent to Phuket's biggest and long expanding park & ponds. Its installed 100 outdoor high quality excercise equipment. Go take a look,  Its the only building with direct-secure access to this grand park, while minutes away from town.   A big pool make up nearly half of the building plot (3rd floor)

16 hours ago, Squaready said:

Just a friendly observation and suggestion Mr or Ms. Xylophone....

You seem obsessed with getting the last word in in every discussion/debate. Not sure why you feel the need to do that, but you do.

Yet your last words are usually just a regurgitation of your previous “last word”.

The silent majority of the thread is likely looking for accurate information on property investing rather than simple opinions.

As Mysterion politely said, in one of his posts, you and several others here routinely provided negative personal “anecdotes”, but i must honestly say i haven’t learned anything of real significance from you or them.

It would be helpful for all of us if you could kindly provide broad facts rather than pure speculation or peculiar anecdotes, if you plan to continue pursuing the “last word”.

Just sayin’

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Dear Mr, Mrs, Ms Squaready,

I thought your post was worth a revisit, this especially as your observation was just friendly, and another you posted was just a “casual observation”.

Of course you never mentioned as to whether you had a biased or unbiased opinion, however it becomes quite clear that you have a bias towards investing in property here and a couple of pointers gave it away – –

If your opinion was unbiased than you would have commented on the fact that what you wrote about me being obsessed with getting in the last word etc, could well apply to Mysterion also, because he does exactly that, exactly the same - – but no mention of it?

His posts are just a regurgitation of his previous post, yet it only applies to me and not him apparently? Strange comment.

Your appreciation ("likes") of posts regarding investing in property here go back to January 2016, so a long time bias I would suspect, and far away from the suggestion that “I and others need to be helpful for all of us learning something of significance". Poppycock, if you haven't learnt by now, with this and your own research, then there's no hope.

So you've been on this thread for over two years and haven't learned anything, or was that just a throwaway line in support of a property seller?

And of course you suggest that I and others only provide negative personal anecdotes, where in fact many of us have quoted actual sales, in actual locations for actual prices, something you seem to overlook. Furthermore your use of the word anecdote is misleading, because actual properties and locations have been provided, so factual and not heresay.

Now on the subject of bias, it's pretty obvious that someone who sells property for profit here would want to talk the market up and you? Your position with regards to this would be interesting, rather than attacking the posters, incl, AJBangkok who has, despite your incorrect assumption, contributed in the past. 

As for me I have no bias or should I say, no axe to grind, whatsoever, because I have bought and sold properties here and made a profit on them. Furthermore I have helped friends sell properties here, so if anything, my bias should be positive!

The reason it is not is because I see the market and I investigate the market, and I have friends who are property agents in the market, and I have friends who try to sell houses and apartments and see what they are going through with regards to a property glut here and not being able to sell.

I tell it like I see it, like it is and just to support that, because you asked for more information see the following.......

1). Property for sale in Phuket - Thailand-Property

https://www.thailand-property.com   7345 properties for sale in Phuket on Thailand-property. 

But no glut?

Facts.Just sayin'……...

PS. Just so that you are aware, when someone posts here, others respond, and so it goes on, just as Mysterion does and has.

14 hours ago, Mysterion said:

How could anyone in their right mind deny that FX is a very  significant factor for an international property market??? 

As I explained earlier, that is not what I said, and if you read my post, you will see that, however quite possibly, reading and understanding could be difficult for some folks.

And if it is true that there are, according to Mr, Mrs, Ms Squaready, people following this thread to learn something, then let me add this: –

Investing in any market sector, no matter what or where, for the sake of a profit through currency movement is an absolute no-no in regular investing.

It belongs under the speculative investing category and then there are very few experts in this field, and those that are, get it wrong as often as they get it right.

It has no place in a property investors portfolio.

And yes this is a reply Mr, Mrs, Ms Squaready!!!!!!!! :passifier:

On 02/05/2018 at 5:36 PM, xylophone said:

The subject of a property glut is different from currency movements or investing in the SET, they are not interdependent, although owning stocks in ones own name does have a nice comfort factor to it.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

As I explained earlier, that is not what I said, and if you read my post, you will see that, however quite possibly, reading and understanding could be difficult for some folks.

And if it is true that there are, according to Mr, Mrs, Ms Squaready, people following this thread to learn something, then let me add this: –

Investing in any market sector, no matter what or where, for the sake of a profit through currency movement is an absolute no-no in regular investing.

It belongs under the speculative investing category and then there are very few experts in this field, and those that are, get it wrong as often as they get it right.

It has no place in a property investors portfolio.

And yes this is a reply Mr, Mrs, Ms Squaready!!!!!!!! :passifier:

Xylophone,

You are digging an even deeper credibility hole for yourself every time you post erroneous and contradictory nonsense like what you wrote above.

Your first post clearly claims that FX is not related to the state of Phuket proeprty market, and your second post says international investors should not even consider the impact of FX in their decision making process.

I am appalled you would write what you did. You are really not helping anyone here with misinformation like that.

It is an irrefutable fact that, FX risk/reward must be a considered when making any investment in a foreign currency. It is a vital component of a buy/sell/hold decision in phuket property.

You may want to fess-up about your mistakes and/or focus on  another topic that you better understand. 

2 hours ago, Airalee said:

Thaistocks logic is not “faulty” at all.

He/she is simply reminding the readers that the FX dynamic can have a very significant +/- impact on the phuket property market.

The Baht FX rate is moving all the time vs other currencies, and as a result there will always be foreign buyers/sellers of phuket  property who could be big winners and big losers as a result of the FX movements alone.

8 hours ago, Patong2 said:

But we love the place and are happy to pay our landlord our rent each year.

Very good for both you and Phuket.

It sounds like your landlord is lucky to have a good long term tenant. 

9 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Very good for both you and Phuket.

It sounds like your landlord is lucky to have a good long term tenant. 

My landlord is lucky too.  Others in my building who own units, unable to find a renter, not so much.

54 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Your first post clearly claims that FX is not related to the state of Phuket proeprty market

As another posted said, 'wasting your time trying to school him". You obviously have a problem understanding the written word/English

Read my statement again as it says no such thing...………..it states that the SUBJECT of currency fluctuations.....Yes the subject, being a different subject to the property market. Clear now.

54 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

and your second post says international investors should not even consider the impact of FX in their decision making process.

Are you sure you are not dyslexic or from a foreign country, as I didn't say that at all!! .What part of:-

Do you not understand?? Your statement is completely different in meaning and context to mine.

Read again, and then apologise for your lack of understanding and inability to read and understand.... they are clearly not your strong points.

I pity your poor investors if you cannot understand written English...…..ah yes "post erroneous and contradictory nonsense like what you wrote above". A good pointer!!

"You may want to fess-up about your mistakes and/or focus on  another topic that you better understand". ...……….Like successfully managing $2 billion of funds for thousands of clients you mean, with huge overseas exposure in shares, bonds, fixed interest and property?

I did this and bought and sold property here, whilst you sold condos...….sad man.

32 minutes ago, Airalee said:

My landlord is lucky too.  Others in my building who own units, unable to find a renter, not so much.

Its good to have reliable tenants. More the merrier as they say.

I imagine there are indeed some landlords who also made poor decisions based on unrealistic yields that they projected.

At the same time, as someone else here suggested, unless you knew all the owners,  one could also imagine that some units may be kept empty all/most of the time for a variety of reasons.

57 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As another posted said, 'wasting your time trying to school him". You obviously have a problem understanding the written word/English

Read my statement again as it says no such thing...………..it states that the SUBJECT of currency fluctuations.....Yes the subject, being a different subject to the property market. Clear now.

Are you sure you are not dyslexic or from a foreign country, as I didn't say that at all!! .What part of:-

Do you not understand?? Your statement is completely different in meaning and context to mine.

Read again, and then apologise for your lack of understanding and inability to read and understand.... they are clearly not your strong points.

I pity your poor investors if you cannot understand written English...…..ah yes "post erroneous and contradictory nonsense like what you wrote above". A good pointer!!

"You may want to fess-up about your mistakes and/or focus on  another topic that you better understand". ...……….Like successfully managing $2 billion of funds for thousands of clients you mean, with huge overseas exposure in shares, bonds, fixed interest and property?

I did this and bought and sold property here, whilst you sold condos...….sad man.

Your credibility doesn't get any better as you refuse to admit your mistakes and actually try to double-down on them.

We have all heard your claims ad nauseam(probably a dozen times across various threads) about being some sort of  “successful” person prior to moving to Patong. Please save us from it. None of us will ever know if those claims are true or not, and they are irrelevant to the current discussion.

What is relevant, is you trying to somehow pass off incorrect/mis-information about a citical aspect of Phuket property investing as correct.

For goodness sakes Xylophone, nobody can force you to fess-up, but its your credibility on the line man!

As a result, all your comments regarding phuket property are now tainted. 

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

Xylophone,

You are digging an even deeper credibility hole for yourself every time you post erroneous and contradictory nonsense like what you wrote above.

Your first post clearly claims that FX is not related to the state of Phuket proeprty market, and your second post says international investors should not even consider the impact of FX in their decision making process.

I am appalled you would write what you did. You are really not helping anyone here with misinformation like that.

It is an irrefutable fact that, FX risk/reward must be a considered when making any investment in a foreign currency. It is a vital component of a buy/sell/hold decision in phuket property.

You may want to fess-up about your mistakes and/or focus on  another topic that you better understand. 

I have come back on the thread because I am absolutely furious, livid, because of what you have done with regards to my previous posts.

You have misrepresented my posts and twisted the wording to suit your own ends, and that is inexcusable and unforgivable.

That you have to stoop this low says a lot about you and you and how you operate, however I should have known that you were capable of this after you fired off a quite nasty retort to another poster, when you suggested that "he was living in some back streets of a cheap soi in a rental hotel, and had a chip on his shoulder". Poor form in anyone's language.

So if there are any folks reading this thread and these posts who are looking at property here, then be prepared to meet people like Mysterion, and be on your guard, because whatever the case, the situation or the circumstances, he has shown that he is capable of misrepresentation of the highest order, just to suit his ends.

The problem being that his ends are to sell you a property in an oversupplied market, so beware.

As a result of your misrepresentation it should be clear to all that you have the reputation of the everyday "property spruiker", almost the lowest of the low...…...and one who can't understand English at that!!  

37 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Its good to have reliable tenants. More the merrier as they say.

I imagine there are indeed some landlords who also made poor decisions based on unrealistic yields that they projected.

At the same time, as someone else here suggested, unless you knew all the owners,  one could also imagine that some units may be kept empty all/most of the time for a variety of reasons.

I base it off of the list of units currently for rent, but unoccupied at the juristic persons office.  I’m sure there are many more that are kept empty for whatever reason.  But hey...I like living in a ghost town.  The swimming pool and fitness center feel like my own private amenities.

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I base it off of the list of units currently for rent, but unoccupied at the juristic persons office.  I’m sure there are many more that are kept empty for whatever reason.  But hey...I like living in a ghost town.  The swimming pool and fitness center feel like my own private amenities.

Sounds very nice. I prefer it that way also.

cheers  :-)

I've followed this topic, and to be frank there is nothing new that any resident of Phuket doesn't already know.   One party with a fairly obvious vested interest (selling real estate) verses another with real life experience of owning/renting property here, swapping blows with anecdotes and experiences, each with their opinion.

Most of my fellow home owners here are not overly concerned with the resale situation here.   The property they have bought are for long term retirement and resale isn't really a consideration unless under unforeseen circumstances.   The quality of life of having one's own home in an environment that fulfils everyday needs with minimum of stress whilst ticking the comfort level boxes is very satisfactory.

The rental market is another story.   Many, and primarily Thais, bought property with a view to securing a long term income from expat renting residents.   The rental market became swamped, monthly rental rates stagnated, and as the numbers of long term expats (particularly those from the West) diminished, so these properties were put on the market for sale.

I'm sure that we all have anecdotes and stories that we can share, but are they really important?   Maybe time to close this thread, as my neck is getting slightly cramped from the tennis inspired net volleys.   Love all.

Your credibility doesn't get any better as you refuse to admit your mistakes and actually try to double-down on them.

We have all heard your claims ad nauseam(probably a dozen times across various threads) about being some sort of  “successful” person prior to moving to Patong. Please save us from it. None of us will ever know if those claims are true or not, and they are irrelevant to the current discussion.

What is relevant, is you trying to somehow pass off incorrect/mis-information about a citical aspect of Phuket property investing as correct.

For goodness sakes Xylophone, nobody can force you to fess-up, but its your credibility on the line man!

As a result, all your comments regarding phuket property are now tainted. 

I agree with what your saying Mysterion. It is probably best to just try to ignore the Xylophone character rather than trying to reason with someone who is hopelessly stubborn. Even if he is wrong he will never admit it.

On behalf of the readers(like myself) on the thread who are looking for knowledge, thanks again for helping to correctly clarify the importance of FX in the Phuket property market.

9 minutes ago, Squaready said:

On behalf of the readers(like myself) on the thread who are looking for knowledge, thanks again for helping to correctly clarify the importance of FX in the Phuket property market.

Seriously?   You need ThaiVisa for an insight into the foreign exchange implications for the Phuket property market?   Are you in a relationship with Mysterion?   Congratulations by the way if you have already given birth.

I've followed this topic, and to be frank there is nothing new that any resident of Phuket doesn't already know.   One party with a fairly obvious vested interest (selling real estate) verses another with real life experience of owning/renting property here, swapping blows with anecdotes and experiences, each with their opinion.

Most of my fellow home owners here are not overly concerned with the resale situation here.   The property they have bought are for long term retirement and resale isn't really a consideration unless under unforeseen circumstances.   The quality of life of having one's own home in an environment that fulfils everyday needs with minimum of stress whilst ticking the comfort level boxes is very satisfactory.

The rental market is another story.   Many, and primarily Thais, bought property with a view to securing a long term income from expat renting residents.   The rental market became swamped, monthly rental rates stagnated, and as the numbers of long term expats (particularly those from the West) diminished, so these properties were put on the market for sale.

I'm sure that we all have anecdotes and stories that we can share, but are they really important?   Maybe time to close this thread, as my neck is getting slightly cramped from the tennis inspired net volleys.   Love all.

Seems like you think you own this thread? Hehehe

Others are actually learning some things from this interesting thread, even though you seem to already know it all.

I have seen a handful of super negative views, and i have also seen a handful of more balanced views. IMHO, it is more than likely that the balanced commentators are the ones telling the true story about the phuket real estate market.

Hahaha.

There are many people who don’t fully understand the risk and rewards, and he/she and Thaistocks have both been very good at reminding the readers about true nature of foreign exchange and a few other interesting things about phuket property.

I hope you would agree that the thread needs more facts like that, and less extremism nonsense.

15 minutes ago, Squaready said:

Seems like you think you own this thread? Hehehe

Others are actually learning some things from this interesting thread, even though you seem to already know it all.

I have seen a handful of super negative views, and i have also seen a handful of more balanced views. IMHO, it is more than likely that the balanced commentators are the ones telling the true story about the phuket real estate market.

I really can't remember posting on this thread before, so my owning it is not likely and certainly not an aspiration.   There are many views here, vis a vis owning verses renting etc.   Some of the long term residents (I'm a baby at only 11 years) have experience of both, and typically have knowledge of friends and acquaintances who for whatever reason have been on the property merry go round that's Phuket. 

With my wife, we own property here and are very happy.   Tell us, what are your own circumstances?   And the good Mysterion, what's his own?   Individuals are giving you real life experiences, and as yet, nothing from those who are purporting to be 'balanced views'?   Balance comes from having experience.

7 minutes ago, Squaready said:

I hope you would agree that the thread needs more facts like that, and less extremism nonsense.

Balance is always good.   However, there should also be a degree of honesty on the part of those who choose to use forums such as this as a vehicle for commercial promotion.   I'm not talking about advertising per se, merely cherry picking a sector of a particular market that might be lucrative for themselves, leaving an impression that there is a larger market opportunity that in reality isn't there.

Trust things are fine with the baby?

50 minutes ago, Squaready said:

I agree with what your saying Mysterion. It is probably best to just try to ignore the Xylophone character rather than trying to reason with someone who is hopelessly stubborn. Even if he is wrong he will never admit it.

Thank you for the kind words!

I do find myself wishing there was a mute button on TV that i could use on some folks here LOL!

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

Thank you for the kind words!

I do find myself wishing there was a mute button on TV that i could use on some folks here LOL!

Sorry old chap but the truth will out.

The accusations are incredible and the only holes being dug are for those do not have the intelligence to understand what is written…………plain for all to see so judge for yourselves

My post: “The subject of a property glut is different from currency movements or investing in the SET”.

Mysterion post: “How could anyone in their right mind deny that FX is a very  significant factor for an international property market??? 

You post does not address mine in any way……………it is a non sequitur.

My post: “Investing in any market sector, no matter what or where, for the sake of a profit through currency movement is an absolute no-no in regular investing”.

Your post: “and your second post says international investors should not even consider the impact of FX in their decision making process”.

Jeez, they are poles apart and it really goes to prove that you and Squaready don’t have the capacity to interpret and understand. So I will try to help you here… overseas investors should do so for the basic fundamentals of that investment, not on the hope that currency movements will be in their favour.  Never purely for the hope of profit through currency movements. A bonus if they happen, a loss if they don't (a gamble). Easier for you guys?

So for those folks who are supposedly following this thread to gain information, maybe time to make a decision based on:-

1). The posts of a property agent/spruiker whose business is selling property here and who is willing to misrepresent or purposely misinterpret other posts. Or is maybe blind to the fact that there are around 7500 properties for sale here, along with derelict and abandoned projects, which does not suggest a buoyant property market.

And include the fact that 80% of the posts, mostly from people living here, disagree with the property sellers views

OR

2) A long term resident here, who has bought and sold in this market and who has successfully built and managed billion dollar funds invested around the world, including property, for clients, and who has no vested interest one way or the other in property investment here, but would like others to see the truth.

Up to you!

PS. And I repeat, “Investing in any market sector, no matter what or where, for the sake of a profit through currency movement is an absolute no-no in regular investing” Fact.

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

Seriously?   You need ThaiVisa for an insight into the foreign exchange implications for the Phuket property market?   Are you in a relationship with Mysterion?   Congratulations by the way if you have already given birth.

Nice one...……….and he has been on here for 2 years, and he believes Mysterion.

Slow learner perhaps?

2 hours ago, Squaready said:

Absolutely agree and here they are...…….but you won't like them! But directed at Mysterion……..

Time to face the facts I'm afraid, and these are: –

– You have a vested interest in talking the market up, because you sell properties in it. Therefore your views cannot be seen as fair and unbiased.

– Around 80% of the posts on this thread disagree with you and your viewpoint.

– You have shown that you can misrepresent posts and twist them to suit your own ends. 

– There are around 7500 properties for sale in Phuket, with many on the market for years, however in your opinion there is not a glut of properties here?

– A few posters have detailed their experiences with the difficulty in selling properties and renting for that matter, all first-hand and not "anecdotal" as you and another poster have ascertained in order to dismiss their experiences.

– My experience in the past with regards to investing in overseas markets, including property and foreign exchange management (which I can prove to a third party with absolutely no problem) is beyond reproach, so for you to denigrate me and my knowledge does you no good whatsoever, but does show your true colours and the depths to which you will sink.

– I have sold and bought properties in this market, and have made money in it, so I do know a little about it.

– There are failed, abandoned, bankrupt developments here as well as many which are part empty, and these can be easily seen, and many have been photographed in the "derelict and abandoned" properties thread. However you cannot see that these are not the signs of a healthy property market.

– There are property spruikers in abundance here, ranging from those on motorbikes who drive around the place trying to sell to the unsuspecting tourist, to about a dozen property booths in the Jungceylon shopping mall, which is why many pundits have described this place as the "wild west of the property market".

– The problems with buying, selling and renting here are manyfold and documented.

Yet through all of these facts you endeavour to try and convince people on this thread that Phuket is a great place for property investment.

Above are the facts, so it would be best if followers of this thread made up their own minds as regards property investment and a property glut in Phuket.

Having said that you will keep pushing your barrow as they say, and I will challenge you at every turn, but I will do it without misrepresenting your posts, something which you seem unable to do with mine.

12 hours ago, pagallim said:

Maybe time to close this thread, as my neck is getting slightly cramped from the tennis inspired net volleys.   Love all.

Good idea.

The topic has run past it's use-by date and it has deteriorated into a flame fest anyway.

:mfr_closed1:

Archived