More than 20 Phuket bus drivers arrested for drug use

rooster59

More than 20 Phuket bus drivers arrested for drug use

1_201612143524609_wLFrseXrfEebpTNOnZKAPk

Officers test drivers' urine for amphetamine. Photo: Thalang District Office

PHUKET: Officers arrested more than 20 bus drivers for amphetamine use as the drivers made their way through the Tah Chat Chai checkpoint over the last three days.

“Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayatongda ordered a joint task force of police, local government officials and provincial officers to tackle drug use by public transportation drivers and other professionals working with tourists,” explained Thalang Chief Administrative Officer (Palad) Siripong Leeprasit. “During the three days, 43 people tested positive for drugs. Of those, 24 were bus drivers.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/More-20-Phuket-bus-drivers-arrested-drug/62783?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-03

Sorry but having traces of drugs in the blood doesn't equate to them being high on drugs, or even impaired by them. I mean somebody can very easily spike somebody's drink with a drug, and they'd feel fine a couple of days later but still fail the test.

Admittedly it doesn't inspire confidence that they're testing positive for illegal drugs, but I think the more pressing issue is addressing their driving skills and attitudes. Those who drive bigger vehicles here seem to see that as carte blanche to bully smaller vehicles out of their as and when is convenient for them to do so.

But if anything this story is a positive as those drivers will likely have something to think about now & the passengers will be (i'd hope) driven by potentially a more sensible driver for the remainder of the journey

My friend used to joke that the only two qualifications to be a bus driver here were 1) be an ex-convict and 2) be on yaa-baa.

Not far from the truth.

Unfortunately very close to the truth, The road toll up to 250 or so in the fourth day is disgusting. I would like to see the Police get real serious about this slaughter on the roads and keep this crackdown in place.

Have a couple of police at the Lod dto depots around the country doing testing on drivers as they leave.

Taxi drivers as well some are obsessed with working long hours to make money, I have had one fall asleep at the wheel nearly killing my young son wife and myself, I as many others on TV have had terrorising rides in the 10 seater suicide vans.

I took a taxi form Don Muang to Suvharnabum a week ago and it was the most terrorising ride I ever experienced in LOS ,the guy was doing 140k plus at times and zig zagging in and out of traffic and using the safety shoulder to overtake.

He did 140 k on the aproach to the airport which is a 60 or 80 zone, he did not slow down until traffic caused him to, I think he was full of amphetamine or something -- Keep the crackdown and make it permanent.

If they make the touroperators responcable for their drivers, they will finally do the drug test on their drivers. And if they don,t. Put them out of bussiness and fine them with a gigant amount. Maybe this will end this driving disaster with a lot of dead people.

They got arrested,now what happens 500 Baht fine and back to driving buses?

If you read the full news article --->

Officers suspended the driving licence of each of the motorists for 30 days, and fined each of them 10,000 baht. Additionally, they were all taken to the Thalang District Office, where they will begin a rehab program on Monday,"

Sorry but having traces of drugs in the blood doesn't equate to them being high on drugs, or even impaired by them. I mean somebody can very easily spike somebody's drink with a drug, and they'd feel fine a couple of days later but still fail the test.

Admittedly it doesn't inspire confidence that they're testing positive for illegal drugs, but I think the more pressing issue is addressing their driving skills and attitudes. Those who drive bigger vehicles here seem to see that as carte blanche to bully smaller vehicles out of their as and when is convenient for them to do so.

But if anything this story is a positive as those drivers will likely have something to think about now & the passengers will be (i'd hope) driven by potentially a more sensible driver for the remainder of the journey

Be careful you might fall off the fence.

“Officers suspended the driving license of each of the motorists for 30 days, and fined each of them 10,000 baht."

30 days and they will be back to drive even more "hard" to make up for the 10K fine and lost 30 day money.....

TIT

They should do this all over the country.....

wai2.gif

Edited by torpedo1970

If you read the full news article --->

Officers suspended the driving licence of each of the motorists for 30 days, and fined each of them 10,000 baht. Additionally, they were all taken to the Thalang District Office, where they will begin a rehab program on Monday,"

Also - they were busted at the top of the island, most likely on their way into Phuket so they would be inter provincial buses. I wonder how many they would find amongst the drivers who are carting around the Chinese hordes within Phuket.

My friend used to joke that the only two qualifications to be a bus driver here were 1) be an ex-convict and 2) be on yaa-baa.

Not far from the truth.

Unfortunately very close to the truth, The road toll up to 250 or so in the fourth day is disgusting. I would like to see the Police get real serious about this slaughter on the roads and keep this crackdown in place.

Have a couple of police at the Lod dto depots around the country doing testing on drivers as they leave.

Taxi drivers as well some are obsessed with working long hours to make money, I have had one fall asleep at the wheel nearly killing my young son wife and myself, I as many others on TV have had terrorising rides in the 10 seater suicide vans.

I took a taxi form Don Muang to Suvharnabum a week ago and it was the most terrorising ride I ever experienced in LOS ,the guy was doing 140k plus at times and zig zagging in and out of traffic and using the safety shoulder to overtake.

He did 140 k on the aproach to the airport which is a 60 or 80 zone, he did not slow down until traffic caused him to, I think he was full of amphetamine or something -- Keep the crackdown and make it permanent.

I agree the toll of 250 for 4 days is disgusting but on one of the busiest periods of the year they have managed to keep it under the normal yearly average of about 70 per day.

And, as another poster stated, the only way it will ever improve is if they start heavily fining/jailing the bus company owners for allowing these unsafe practices to continue.

Not far from the truth.

I agree the toll of 250 for 4 days is disgusting but on one of the busiest periods of the year they have managed to keep it under the normal yearly average of about 70 per day.

And, as another poster stated, the only way it will ever improve is if they start heavily fining/jailing the bus company owners for allowing these unsafe practices to continue.

Fining/jailing the bus company owners ain't gonna happen. They are owned by the "right people". You know, the ones who are never touched for anything.

That banal, hackneyed "500 baht fine and back to normal" comment looks a bit daft considering the report said that those caught got a 30 day licence suspension, 10,000 baht fine and compulsory attendance to a rehabilitation course.

Are you insane? These mongrels are driving hire and reward vehicles. They are driving paying public. They should not have any 'traces' of drugs or alcohol in their blood. We read on a daily basis about these min-van drivers rolling or crashing their vans and you jump to their defence.

Of course their driving skills need to be addressed but being drug free would be a great starting point

Of course drivers of larger vehicles who think 'might is right' need to be taken to task - drug testing would be a great starting place for that too - but because they need assesment does not make it any more appropriate for van drivers to use drugs.

I wonder what excuse you will come up with when you're pulled and have drug traces in your body because if you're supporting these idiots, it's an easy assumption to make that you drive among them in the same state.

Phuket is the place of mafia, extortion, thief's, cheats & scammers ...... why would anyone want to be in an environment associated with such scum ...... coffee1.gif

Don't forget Washington D.C. , USA. but their called Lobbyist, Politicians, Realtor's, Taxi drivers if they speak English and Oh! Yea! Obamacare.

There, IMHO, the owners create several problems here. The bus drivers have families to feed, but are required to drive for long hours, without a break to earn sufficient money. Hence they have the delema of driving whilst in a fatigued state where they may fall asleep at the wheel, or take stimulants to temporary ward off this state. I believe that there is money to be made from poverty. The rich will exploit the poor at regular opportunities. I admit that I enjoy the fact that I can purchase a comodity or service cheaply here intThailand because the provider is being paid such low sum, with the minimum wage kept below THB.300/day. The bus owners are likewise taking advantage of the poor. Maybe, in one way or an other we all take advantage of them.

The poor sometimes have no choice but to do what they have to out of need. The richer will exploit them out of greed.

Makes one think why they're on amfetamine, cause they make such long hours and can't stay awake otherwise?

Imagine how many accidents would happen when they're not on speed, as it makes you more alert.

Don't get this the wrong way, obviously it's insane but the underlying problem is much bigger.

Edited by dennis123

Where did they find 24 sober/drug free replacement drivers at New Years for the stranded customers at the checkpoint?

Well done but a pity this will end after "The Seven Days of Death".

Exactly - makes you think what the stranded passenegers thought and how long did it delay their journey to their destination ??

Authorities not supplying any details about thst problem ...

" somebody can very easily spike somebody's drink with a drug "

so according to your theory 20 bus drivers have their drinks spikedgiggle.gif

" the more pressing issue is addressing their driving skills and attitudes "

wouldn't you say their driving skills and attitudes would be directly affected by taking drugs?blink.png