is penang?a great escape from c/mai smog 2016

evenstevens

We were in Penang for almost 4 months a few years. We rented an amazing, huge, brand new condo on the 26th floor of Times Square right in town and on top of a shopping mall with a supermarket, but it looked as though it were closed last year, still there are a few other supermarkets in town. On a short lease with cable TV, internet, electricity and water included we paid what was the equivalent of 32,000/month, but as I said this was so new we had to take the wrappings off a lot of things because it wasn't even ready to be let, it was 200 sq mt and really luxurious furnishings with a fantastic fully equipped kitchen. Accommodation can be had much cheaper of course in older buildings or ones not smack in the town centre. We found costs pretty much the same as here, some things more some things less. Beer was quite a bit more but wine was a serious lot less, supermarkets were a good bit cheaper on a lot of things, a good bit more expensive on others - I think cleaning supplies were more and food was less. Much easier to get around with the excellent Malaysian bus service, both around town and out for 2 or 3 day trips on the intercity buses. Street and canteen food is magnificent (I'm biased because I don't like Thai food at all) and we alternated Chinese and Indian which we found much cheaper than here. On the whole the people are very - perhaps overly - friendly and all older Chinese and Indians young and old spoke English as well as we do.

Penang is a Chinese city, but it's still hard to be out of earshot of the call to prayer so be aware of that. Taxi drivers were horrible, refused to use the meter even though there are big signs on the doors and back of seats saying it's illegal not to, getting your phone out, a convincing shrug and 'I'll just call the taxi authority then' (number on all signs) did the trick most times, but only do this if you know the way because they'll take you the longest possible way if they can get away with it.

Can't remember what the burning period was looking like - we left early February - but we've been to Penang many times over the last 15 years and pollution from the burning in Indonesia has often been a problem, even though they have good sea breezes to blow it away. We were a bit further south in September and it was awful, pure pea soup every day, but I think that is their main pollution period. Look up the listings for KL, there's very little difference between the two cities. Locals won't go in the sea if you pay them, it's very polluted, but pretty to look at. A couple of expats from here and Philipines said that they and their Asian wives were getting a lot of snooty looks from European expats (mainly English) who are pretty much all couples who do 6 months/6 months and are said to be cliquey.

I think you'd enjoy yourself, only one way to find out; by the time you realise you don't really like it, you'd have spent a few weeks there and if you add a couple of 3 or 4 night trips the burning season here will be over. Of course, being so much closer to the equator it's going to be a lot hotter than here.

As with anywhere in Malaysia, try one night (might have to be a very close hotel) before committing to anything as the location of mosques and karaoke rooms isn't always obvious.

Other places you could try for a getaway from the smoke would be southern Thailand, the east coast of Vietnam and the islands in the Philippines, but check pollutions levels before committing. Also, around Bali and I think Java it's rainy season so no burning off. Try a different one every year and report back smile.png

Concur with your assessment of the taxis in Penang , KL and Malaysia in general - Uber application is now available so would think taxis are more amenable now but check

Yes, if you don't mind an island full of Chinese, I was surprised at how many Chinese people lived on Penang.............but, I had a wonderful time. Good Resturants, lots of shopping areas, and, good mailing services so you don't have to carry the stuff you buy thru an airport, or train station. Enjoy.

if you love food,you will love penang.

stayed at the batu feringhi beach hotel.fabulous food there aswell. though it was 1989.

50 years ago when I worked in Kedah and Perak I often spent weekends on Penang - no bridge then, crossed by car ferry. It was a beautiful place, and your mention of Batu Feringhi reminded me of the empty unspoiled beaches and near pristine forests. I went back for a few days in 1990, and it was all utterly changed. The stretch of beaches from the E&O north is now solid with tourist hotels, and there is little access to the back of the island which used to be easy to get to and very pretty.

Concur with your assessment of the taxis in Penang , KL and Malaysia in general - Uber application is now available so would think taxis are more amenable now but check

before committing.

Glad to hear they have Uber now, but I'm not sure that it will make a lot of difference for tourists as drivers will assume you don't have a data plan. They are the most aggressive drivers of all the licenced and accredited ones I've come across anywhere and do the country a huge disservice. The tourist people know this and have a lot more sway than they do here.

For the technologically uninclined, I would recommend getting the phone number of the taxi booking service as soon as you arrive at the airport, and once you are out and about use it. Even if there is a taxi sitting in front of you, phone for one, it won't take long and may even be the one sitting in front of you. It costs an extra 2 ringit but you get a text telling you how long it will be along with the registration/licence plate number which serves both to identify it to you as it arrives and them should you have reason to phone back. The driver may still then try it on, but will comply as soon as you raise an eyebrow or hint that you are going to phone the booking service. They are penalised if reported and do lose their licences. Never take one off the street or you will be ripped off or have a stand up argument.

So anyway, I think Penang is pretty boring especially given the 'March escape' premise which implies a multi-week stay.

Also no need to even go that far: Pattaya or Cha-Am / Hua Hin (and beyond) are just fine in March.

You beet me to it.sad.png You pretty well answered the OP. Most of the posts were about some thing else.coffee1.gif