Exiting Thailand at Nong Khai-Vientiane border and re-entering without entering Laos

Hi to all,

Simple question, I had a double entry visa to Thailand, have used one of them, am currently in Thailand, would like to exit and re-enter to activate the other. If I exit at the Thailand-Laos border at Nong Khai, can I just exit and re-enter without having to cross the bridge and enter Laos? It makes sense to me that this would be the case, but just asking to make sure.

Thanks.

Where you go depends on where you are in Thailand!

For example on what you will have to pay:

1,500 Baht or $30+ for a Laos visa.

$35 for a visa on arrival to Cambodia.

500 Baht for a day pass to enter Myanmar/Myawaddy from Mae Sot, Tak (only crossing i done to Myanmar).
Malaysia has visa exemption for many countries but if you need to get a visa on arrival then it's $100.

How, could it even be theoretically possible to EXIT Thailand at the bridge without crossing the bridge and entering Laos ? How could you be said to have left Thailand at all ? In real terms, it is possible to step only 100 yards into Laos and cross over to the Out (of Laos) side of the bridge and come back to LoS within one hour if you avoid the busy mid-day queues that can develop if a bus-load from further south suddenly turns up. In case you don't know - the quietest time to go is after 7 pm - the offices are open until 10 pm (unless they've recently changed) and it is a very quiet time. I've been many times at that time of the day. There is just a $1 'overtime' charge, which i think kicks in at 4 pm. Take US Dollars ($35 or $36 for late crossing - check the current amount) and save quite a few Baht !

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Hi - if by 'double entry' you mean a 2 x 60 days tourist visa - have you thought about going to immigration to extend the first 60 days by 30 days for 1,900 baht (if it is still this fee) ? The normal use of a 'double' is to get 6 months out of it by getting 2 extensions of 30 days each added to the 2 x 60 days - experts please update if this is now not allowed.

Interesting -- you'd think that if the reverse happened you wouldn't "eat" a re-entry permit.

In May, I accompanied an elderly person who was returning to the U.S. She was easily confused, so it was thought to be a good idea if I flew with her from CNX-ICN on Korean Air and stay with her during her 10 hour layover to make sure she got some rest and onto her flight to LAX where her family would be waiting to meet her. She wasn't any problem on the flight, so it was OK for her to fly alone from ICN-LAX. It was just the idea of her being alone during a 10 hour layover that had people concerned.

There were restrictions on my being able to stay with her in the international area. In the end, I booked a return to Chiang Mai the next day in order to stay with her and never entered Korea. No stamp in my passport showing me entering or leaving Korea.

When I returned to Chiang Mai, the officer at the podium at the airport had a bit of fun. He remembered me from her departure (there had been some drama about her paying an overstay fine). He saw I had no entry stamp for Korea in my passport and asked if they refused entry for me as "undesirable" That was his word. He also saw I was wearing the same clothes. At least he was smiling.

I asked if that meant I didn't have to use my re-entry permit and he shook his head no. He made much flair as he stamped my passport, saying "re-entry permit used".

Thanks for all the replies and info guys. I am now considering making the crossing at Mae Sot in and out of Myanmar, but I'm not sure about whether I need to get a visa for Myanmar or not. I've read guides saying I can get a one-day pass for 500B, does anyone know if this is still possible?

Thanks for all the replies and info guys. I am now considering making the crossing at Mae Sot in and out of Myanmar, but I'm not sure about whether I need to get a visa for Myanmar or not. I've read guides saying I can get a one-day pass for 500B, does anyone know if this is still possible?

You will pay 500 baht or you can use a crisp new $10 bill for a border pass. No need for a visa.

Just an fyi, If you happen to have 2 passports (issued by same country) and hope to exit Thailand on passport #1 and enter Cambodia (via a land crossing) on Passport #2, they will not permit you to do that, they will insist on all the visa's and stamps for both countries being in the one passport. I found out the hard way with an e-visa for Cambodia in one passport and my Non B visa from Thailand in the other.

This is not an issue if arriving by air. Also this was not for visa run/extention purposes, but was trying to save using up all the pages in a passport by sharing the stamps between two passports.

Just an fyi, If you happen to have 2 passports (issued by same country) and hope to exit Thailand on passport #1 and enter Cambodia (via a land crossing) on Passport #2, they will not permit you to do that, they will insist on all the visa's and stamps for both countries being in the one passport. I found out the hard way with an e-visa for Cambodia in one passport and my Non B visa from Thailand in the other.

This is not an issue if arriving by air. Also this was not for visa run/extention purposes, but was trying to save using up all the pages in a passport by sharing the stamps between two passports.

How/why do you have 2 current passports from one country ?

Perfectly legitimate and necessary for many who work in varied locations overseas.

I had two passports for many years but no longer as the need cannot now be justified or evidenced.

edit

remove typo

Edited by sunnyjim5
  • Like 2

Perfectly legitimate and necessary for many who work in varied locations overseas.

I had two passports for many years but no longer as the need cannot know be justified or evidenced.

Indeed.

People in oil and gas,business people etc awaiting visas.

People who have valid reasons can have more than one passport document. This applies usually to people who travel a lot on business, and may need to have, say, a passport to travel on while another is awaiting a visa for another country. Reasons and supporting documentation (such as a letter from an employer) must be provided.[30][31]

• Like 1

I do. I am often in Malaysia and told my embassy after showing them a ticket to Israel that Malaysia and Dubai will make problems.

Never been to Israel for the past 8 years but they will always go for it when I show them a fully paid ticket. ALways good to have two passports. tongue.png

You can get both arrival/depature stamp at the Myanmar immigration and walk right back over the bridge and into Thailand no need to spend time in Myanmar.

As the Myanmar immigration is located in Myanmar you will have to go to Myanmar to go the Myanmar immigration

I thought that when people got a "one day pass" into Burma they didn't have their passports stamped with an entry-exit and thus it didn't show up in their passports as actually being in Burma. Would that meet the Thai requirements for activating another entry for a tourist visa?

It's been a few years, but that's what I did that last time I went shopping across the border from Mae Sai. Still had to pay 500 baht for the Burma "day pass", but at least it didn't "eat" my Thai re-entry permit and no evidence in my passport that I'd been in Burma. And frankly, since I had a choice of leaving my passport at the bridge with either the Thai authorities or the Burmese, I felt more confident with the Thai. My first words to them after a grueling two hours in Burma were "dee jai glap maa prathet Thai, ka"

(I have a retirement extension and no need to do any visa runs and every incentive to keep my "permission to stay" alive)

I thought that when people got a "one day pass" into Burma they didn't have their passports stamped with an entry-exit and thus it didn't show up in their passports as actually being in Burma. Would that meet the Thai requirements for activating another entry for a tourist visa?

It's been a few years, but that's what I did that last time I went shopping across the border from Mae Sai. Still had to pay 500 baht for the Burma "day pass", but at least it didn't "eat" my Thai re-entry permit and no evidence in my passport that I'd been in Burma. And frankly, since I had a choice of leaving my passport at the bridge with either the Thai authorities or the Burmese, I felt more confident with the Thai. My first words to them after a grueling two hours in Burma were "dee jai glap maa prathet Thai, ka"

(I have a retirement extension and no need to do any visa runs and every incentive to keep my "permission to stay" alive)

I went out and back in at Mae Sai within the past month and the Thai Immigration officer was pointing at a sign that said something about no in/out, or perhaps it was no out/in, whatever it was it wasn't going to affect my visa as I have the multiple entry stamp, but they did stamp me out and again at the Myanmar immigration it was the same in out stamps for Baht 500.

I'd only gone to visit the Duty free shop on the bridge so I'd have been happy to skip the space taken up by the extra stamps if possible, but alas not possible on this occasion.

I'd been over in Tachilek earlier in the year, with a bit of special treatment and there wasn't any stamps being done anywhere and my passport was in my pocket for the duration of the travel.

I had two passports for many years but no longer as the need cannot know be justified or evidenced.

Indeed.

People in oil and gas,business people etc awaiting visas.

People who have valid reasons can have more than one passport document. This applies usually to people who travel a lot on business, and may need to have, say, a passport to travel on while another is awaiting a visa for another country. Reasons and supporting documentation (such as a letter from an employer) must be provided.[30][31]

Thanks - one of those days when i learn something genuinely new !

You can get both arrival/depature stamp at the Myanmar immigration and walk right back over the bridge and into Thailand no need to spend time in Myanmar.

As the Myanmar immigration is located in Myanmar you will have to go to Myanmar to go the Myanmar immigration

I said no need to spend any time in Myanmar if you can read?

I said no need to spend any time in Myanmar if you can read?

But what you meant was that you dont have to spend anytime in Myanmar, OTHER than the time spent there getting a Visa