Seven dangerous days: Road toll worse than last year on fifth day

webfact

Road toll worse than last year on fifth day
THE NATION

30276076-03_big.JPG
Heavy traffic congestion is seen on the inbound lanes of Vibhavadi Rangsit Road yesterday as New Year holidaymakers begin returning to Bangkok.

BANGKOK: -- THE ROAD death toll passed last year’s figure on the fifth day of New Year’s so-called “Seven dangerous days” on the roads with nearly 300 people killed as of Saturday.

The Road Safety and Directing Centre (RSDC) yesterday revealed the road fatalities, injuries and accidents were significantly higher than during the same period last year.

As of Saturday, 292 deaths, 2,855 injuries and 2,753 accidents had been reported since Tuesday.

Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd praised the campaign of seizing vehicles of drunk drivers, as it had been successful and the government would consider enforcing this measure for all long holiday seasons.

"This measure has had good feedback from many organisations and road users. Moreover, it also resulted in officers inspecting cars for illegal things such as weaponry and drugs as well," Sansern said.

Last year by the fifth day there had been 260 deaths, 2,542 injuries and 2,446 accidents, meaning 32 more deaths, 313 more injuries and 307 more accidents had been reported this year.

The centre disclosed that 26 per cent of road accidents were caused by drunk driving, the major reason for road accidents. That was followed by speeding at 17 per cent.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director Chatchai Promlert said the accident statistics over the last five days were of concern.

"Today [yesterday] many people are on their journey home and many people drive very fast and cut in front of other cars at close range, which is very risky," Chatchai said.

"Therefore, I ask the drivers to drive carefully, comply strictly with traffic rules and stop driving if they feel sleepy."

Chanchao Chiyanukit, a member of the national road acci-|dent prevention committee, said yesterday was the last day of the |long New Year holidays, so many people were travelling back home. The long drive many faced, coupled with weariness as a result of the New Year celebrations, may increase the risk of road accidents, Chanchao said.

"The RSDC has ordered more intensive traffic surveillance on the main highways to Bangkok, so the traffic rules are strictly enforced," Chanchao said. "There will be more frequent inspections of drivers, especially for speeding and alcohol … and to keep drivers alert and reduce the chance of dozing off."

Colonel Sirichan Ngathong, the National Council for Peace and Order deputy spokeswoman, revealed that 3,046 vehicles were seized and 30,152 people were charged with drink driving since December 25.

Taejing Siripanich, secretary-general of "Don't Drive Drunk Foundation", also complimented the measure.

"The measure has cut down some of road accidents, but not much. Therefore, such a measure should be expanded and implemented for the whole year, not only for seven days, and stricter law enforcement should be used in order to effectively decrease road accidents," Taejing said.

"This would be a good start that this government is paying attention to tackling road accidents."

Sansern said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha wanted more people to use minor roads when travelling over the holiday period, not drive too fast and not drive too tired.

He said the PM expressed his gratitude for the job done by officers who worked during the holiday.

Despite the number of road accidents being higher this year, he believed that all officers had done their best, Sansern said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-toll-worse-than-last-year-on-fifth-day-30276076.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2016-01-04

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 per cent of road accidents were caused by drunk driving.

17 per cent speeding.

And the remaining 57 per cent ???

Fatalities, injuries and accidents were ""significantly"" higher than during the same period last year.

Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd praised the campaign of seizing vehicles of drunk drivers, as it had been ""successful"".

300 people killed in the 5 days ??

These statistics have no accuracy.

The average road-deaths per day is 72.

3,046 vehicles were seized and 30,152 people were charged with drink driving since December 25 ??

That's 10 drivers charged per vehicle.

This entire article is nonsense !!

17 per cent speeding.

Fatalities, injuries and accidents were ""significantly"" higher than during the same period last year.

Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd praised the campaign of seizing vehicles of drunk drivers, as it had been ""successful"".

3,046 vehicles were seized and 30,152 people were charged with drink driving since December 25 ??

Have no idea, but just thought when reading this that 3,046 vehicles were seized because they were the only person or driver in the car ?

all the others the driver was charged with drink drive, but another person/driver NOT over the limit was able to continue

Anyway is about time All cars and Buses were fitted with some device that could not start the engine if the driver was over the limit..

So over 30'000 drunk drives charged over 7 days !! That says it all really doesn't it. That's a average of nearly 4300 a day and you know if they really tried that figure would,go through the roof ! When have they ever applied the law with any enthusiasm ,clarity or integrity unless is the little lifts fortnightly to pay the Mia nois etc. If what people are saying that they passed the checkpoints and those manning them were sleeping/not interested it shows what a massive problem it really is...And can those in here maybe with more intelligence than me please explain why this drink driving rule doesn't apply for the rest of the year ??! Unbelievable !

17 per cent speeding.

It's difficult for me as a driver to check if someone is drunk in an other car but most on the time when I pass someone driving erratically, he (she) is on the phone !

In Bangkok, I live near a four lanes (2x2) road with frequent accidents. More than half of the drawings on the road are clearly from motorcycles.

On inter province speed ways, the main problem I encounter are 1/ people blocking the right lane when they are not passing an other vehicle, 2/ people using the road shoulder when the traffic on the main lanes slow down.

By far the most dangerous drivers in Thailand are drivers of public transport vehicles, of any kind.

17 per cent speeding.

Have no idea, but just thought when reading this that 3,046 vehicles were seized because they were the only person or driver in the car ?

all the others the driver was charged with drink drive, but another person/driver NOT over the limit was able to continue

Anyway is about time All cars and Buses were fitted with some device that could not start the engine if the driver was over the limit..

I'm sure also money changed hands not to,impound the vehicle . And what preparations were made to deal with 30,000 drunken drivers vehicles anyway ?! I accept its possible they might have been somebody in some vehicles sober !! But I'm sure in not many. You well know when Thais go out its in for a penny in for a pound and you don't often see anyone abstaining !!

Another Thai Fail, Educate then we will be Impressed...

educate? not in this life time! hell, these people don't even have to have a drivers license to buy a car! and the drivers test? all they do is look at a film, are scolded to drive properly , they do not undergo a street driving test.AND they believe in Karma! plus they have only been driving as a mass for less than forty years, that and their attitude that they are better than the regular folks because they have a "car" or truck fuels the attitude,

" last year i honked my horn numerous times at a push cart driver to get him over, he jumped off his motorcy, opened my left hand door and when he noticed I was a falang, he apologized! dam fool! almost got out of my truck and back handed his sorry ass!

The General is on the right track, but it is going to be a very long haul to keep these people from killing each other on the road!

Education

They do not keep left at all times except to overtake.

They have no clue that cars on round about

Have priority .

Flash headlight should mean I see you please pass .

Not I see you and you wait for ME to pass.

Keep distances .drive with due care

Zip system on reduce lanes.

Respect strictly traffic lights .

Register all offences on common data base

Punish severely multiple offenders

By confiscating then repossessions

Ban from driving only to be re admitted after schooling .

No exceptions

The National Road Accident Comittee should be sacked.

Apparently England has the same population as Thailand and only had 20 deaths.

This country urgently needs a televised road education programme , road signs and an attitude reform about driving.

It needs to have the speed limit reduced to a max of 100km with speed cameras and heavy fines and penalties.

The taxi and public tranport operators need to be warned of heavy fines and have random testing, random testing needs to also be on the roads all the time.

It is a crying shame that this carnage is happening every day, Thailand needs to wake up, or would that be loosing face for the people if they are told they need reform on the roads.??

First it is stated in this article that more people have been killed and injured on the roads than in the same period last year and then almost immediately after this someone supposedly in authority states that the new system of seizing drunk drivers' vehicles has been a success....... What a non-sequitur! Nothing is going to improve these statistics, which are depressingly the same year upon year until: a) there is a realistic driving test, B) people are educated about the effects of alcohol on driving, c) some serious punishments are meted out to those who break the law, d) the police get serious about applying the road traffic and driving laws that already exist to everyone and not just to those poor blighters who aren't rich or don't have connections. The road tragedy enacted twice a year in this country is - or should be - a national scandal.

The statistics again are stupid, nonsensical and confusing.

in how many of the accidents where motorcycles involved and where did those accidents happen, in the backstreets (where the karaoke bars are) or on the highways? How many total vehicles on the road compared to last year, how many accidents/vehicle on the roads? what is the average age of those causing the accidents?

By analyzing statistical data accurately one can find a pattern and focus on that.

More idiots on the roads makes more accidents happen, simple.

I am sure if one checks the number of accidents/vehicles on the road there will be no difference with any other day of the week, only maybe that the risk of accidents occurring may increase somewhat exponentially with increased traffic.

Edited by AlQaholic

Whatever the damned figures - the fact is, it's a danger on the roads, 365 days a year. When can these clowns wake up and do their jobs i.e. enforcement and education? And not just around festive periods, but all year round. I mean, can I pay taxes (aka the clowns' salaries) just during the festive periods? Sheesh... and you can still pat yourselves on the back for a job well done? I've seen babies with a better sense of priority than you bumbling lot.

So. The bold target of reducing road deaths by 80% will be achieved how?

I think that come the end of 2016 Thailand will still be the most dangerous country to drive in by a greater margin with even more poorly trained drivers on the road

Another Thai Fail, Educate then we will be Impressed...

educate? not in this life time! hell, these people don't even have to have a drivers license to buy a car! and the drivers test? all they do is look at a film, are scolded to drive properly , they do not undergo a street driving test.AND they believe in Karma! plus they have only been driving as a mass for less than forty years, that and their attitude that they are better than the regular folks because they have a "car" or truck fuels the attitude,

" last year i honked my horn numerous times at a push cart driver to get him over, he jumped off his motorcy, opened my left hand door and when he noticed I was a falang, he apologized! dam fool! almost got out of my truck and back handed his sorry ass!

The General is on the right track, but it is going to be a very long haul to keep these people from killing each other on the road!

Pretty much agree with you but im assuming your from the US as there are plenty of countries where you can purchase a car without a license. Its not a pre requisite in most places.

What a nonsense to impound the vehicles of suspected " drink / drug drivers ".

Most of the retarded morons of confiscated vehicles will be back on the roads causing even more carnage in / on a vehicle that they borrowed from their brother / sister / friend within a couple of hours.

The vehicles are not guilty of the crime, the drivers are ! lock up the drivers

A more appropriate course of action would be to stick these sicko,s in a metal cage on the roadside, for all to see for a period of 5 days to allow them to dry out.

Better still, stick them in the monkey house immeadiately for a period of 50 days, during which time they will have lost their face, jobs, vehicles and any standing they may have had within their community.

This would cause massive loss of face, and be would be an immeadiate deterant to any others who think that drinking and driving is a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

17 per cent speeding.

It's difficult for me as a driver to check if someone is drunk in an other car but most on the time when I pass someone driving erratically, he (she) is on the phone !

In Bangkok, I live near a four lanes (2x2) road with frequent accidents. More than half of the drawings on the road are clearly from motorcycles.

On inter province speed ways, the main problem I encounter are 1/ people blocking the right lane when they are not passing an other vehicle, 2/ people using the road shoulder when the traffic on the main lanes slow down.

By far the most dangerous drivers in Thailand are drivers of public transport vehicles, of any kind.

. Cement trucks and semi drivers should be Jailed Immediately

Post #13:

"Education
Have priority .
Not I see you and you wait for ME to pass."

Actually in Thailand the Law permits one to overtake on any side, provided there are lanes. Definition of a lane is same as in the west: if there is space for any number of vehicles side by side, then the number of lanes is same as number of vehicles, except when the lanes are clearly marked on the road surface.

In Thailand the law says that the car coming into a roundabout has the right of way.

Edited by AlQaholic

17 per cent speeding.

That sounds as, oh you're pissed as hell behind the steering wheel, but since one of your passengers is less drunk everything is fine.

I don't think that was how the program was explained the start of the 7 days.

All these U-turns are dangerous, appear many cars and motorbike drivers/rides have no idea what a turn signal [indicator] means on a bus or truck in the middle lane at such a U-turn..

Simply it impossible for these vehicles to make a U-turn by keeping to the right, yet almost every day I see car/trucks and motorbike going under trucks making these U turns.

Is it poor training ? appear so many have no idea how much room a big truck needs to make a turn........ and yes have seen the same on trucks turning left, they have no option but to be well out to make the turn, yet cars motorbikes try to undertake...... once the cab starts turning the mirrors can no longer see what is behind or alongside, they only know if they run over someone or over a car.

Yesterday was not a good day to drive even you go in opposite direction, because the ones heading back to bkk or that direction took up all the lanes. I have never seen so many check points any where in the world as I've seen this holiday. And i can understand why more accidents is because people scramble as fast as they could in any amount of space allowed. It's unbelievable.. as the lemmings do each year this was the drivers migrating in same fashion no common sense why there was mo traffic coming from the other direction, do they took overthat lane too. I had to use my enduro skills at times as there was asphalt to drive on for about at least 100km. It was a riot!!! Good thing there is gun control as i seen a lot of road rage happening. This country really needs traffic laws n education along with active highway patrolling. Cant just do it on a holiday. Like putting a lot of dogs in a cage and throw a cat in middle of them! :-)

Post #13:

"Education

Have priority .

Not I see you and you wait for ME to pass."

Actually in Thailand the Law permits one to overtake on any side, provided there are lanes. Definition of a lane is same as in the west: if there is space for any number of vehicles side by side, then the number of lanes is same as number of vehicles, except when the lanes are clearly marked on the road surface.

In Thailand the law says that the car coming into a roundabout has the right of way.

The Thai law clearly says the car already in the roundabout has right of way.