Why are you still in Thailand?

bwpage3

This forum has thrived for years off massive amounts of stories of personal misery.

It is very rare to read a happy or successful story that is truthful and full of verifiable facts. (not counting all the unverified, self-proclaimed keyboard millionaires)

With the last regime change, VISA requirements are getting tougher for many.

Divorce is rife.

Many school teachers finding out they cannot financial make ends meet or are not happy with what little they have.

Many have become professional bar stool sitters.

Many have told so many stories, their own mothers do not believe them.

So why are all the thousand's of "sad sacks" that write 10,000 posts a week of their extreme trials still doing in Thailand?

We have all heard all the stories. "Yeh, I came to Thailand from the UK because I love Asia" when you probably had no idea where on the map Asia is but in fact probably came because you heard a story how easy Thai girls were to get for the old, poor, ugly, you name it types.

So talked yourself into coming to Thailand with a few bucks in your pocket, thinking if the case runs out you can always getting a job teaching English, even though you may not have even finished high school in your own country and have no bonafide education or skills to legally exist in Thailand.

So the dream of the beautiful Thai girl landed you in Thailand and yes, even you were able to find one.

Even with that many have already been divorced from the "easy" Thai girls once or twice or more.

Many have a wife and kids. Kids that will grow up in Thailand with a piss poor education and no possible way to get out of the standard Thai poverty lifestyle (Knowing that Thai graduates from Uni make 15,000 baht a month which will never be enough for a house or car)

Medical insurance? Many have none and will eventually die leaving a financial burden on their poor family left behind.

So what is keeping you in Thailand?

Some strong souls have admitted they have no where to go back to, no education, no job skills in their own country. They probably do not have a choice and you have to respect those that tell the truth.

Others retirees living on a meek pension think they have it made compared to their own country? One really has to question when you compare exact apples to apples whether this is true or not. A 1 room flat is cheap in Thailand but probably can find a 1 room cheap anywhere in the world if you wanted to.

Reading the Thai news, the economy, the politics, the language, the VISA's, not being able to own land, succumbing to lowering yourself to teach English to survive, all the trash, pollution, scams, crime. Then add in no insurance, no SSN, many probably not keeping up with taxes, etc.

With all that going against you, what exactly is going for you after you get the girl and family?

I would be ashamed to admit to anyone if I moved 10,000 miles away and could only make $1,000 a month. Not quite the same as an oil workers salary.

I have a couple of friends that moved to Thailand, married now, have kid/kids. Want to go back to their home countries but have no money and no home to go back to.

Illegal VISA options all but run out. Stressed out knowing their Thai world is closing in on them.

The older you get, the harder it gets

So why are you still in Thailand?

My Situation:

Lived in Thailand for over 10 straight years

Found the Thai wife, have a kid

Moved back to Florida USA - Back to Corporate America, near the beach, climate same although cooler than Thailand, lots of Thai people, numerous Thai restaurants, Thai grocery stores to buy anything Thai and cook your own.

So basically everything is the same as in Thailand except it is much safer and cleaner where I live.

What is not the same:

Have huge income

Nicer house and vehicles

Nicer places to visit on weekends, holidays, cruises, etc. It's Florida!

Kid is in an excellent school, will be able to go on to Uni and actually have a future when he graduates

We even have a Thai temple

As is in Thailand, we have Thai's here working at Walmart just getting by but most appear to prefer it to Thailand

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trick to Thailand is not to burn your bridges back home, Have a Plan B,

I cringe when I hear " I sold the house, sold the business and moved to Thailand" a recipe for disaster IMO.

The truth of the matter is that at some point for many of us Thailand will get old, and we will want to get back home and for sure, if we are lucky we will get old and might need to repatriate.

So the solution IMO is to heave some doors open

I am also Back in the US, working, padding up my pensions and social security. In four years I will retire , but still maintain my Florida residence, I will move to my property in Thailand, for as long as I like and rent the property in FL .

if I dont like it there,or need to move back for medical reasons, I will have a way back home.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

I get the impression from your post that you consider money #1.

What is wrong in earning $1,000 per month in Thailand? It is a helluva lot more than most Thais earn.

What is wrong in living/renting a one-room house in Thailand? Can you live in 2 or 3 rooms at the same time?

I agree that one should have suitable medical insurance, but a big house and a big salary (in any country) doesn't always mean a big smile on your face

Lordie, lordie, the OP needs assurance that he's happy and we're not. That's hard because I am happy and he sounds pretty miserable. I liked that part about his "huge income" though. As I read it, I said it like Trump would, with a perfect O of a mouth: I am in Florida with a heewuuge income.

I get the impression from your post that you consider money #1.

What is wrong in earning $1,000 per month in Thailand? It is a helluva lot more than most Thais earn.

What is wrong in living/renting a one-room house in Thailand? Can you live in 2 or 3 rooms at the same time?

I agree that one should have suitable medical insurance, but a big house and a big salary (in any country) doesn't always mean a big smile on your face

Only one thing wrong with earning $1,000 per month, It does not allow you to prepare for the future, that if you are lucky will come.

Thailand is great for the young, and if you have money for the old, but if you don't have money, it could be disastrous IMO

and I agree that the big house and the big salary does not always mean a big smile on your face, but it sure helps when things go south on you,

What is not the same:

Have huge income

I find we don't really need a huge income to live life to a decent standard in Thailand, it's nice to be able to save most of it for that proverbial rainy day.

Nicer house and vehicles

I'm seriously happy with my house in Thailand plus we have a rai of gardens that give us great pleasure

Nicer places to visit on weekends, holidays, cruises, etc. It's Florida!

I live five minutes from the Mae Sa valley, it's some of the best scenery in the country with loads of things to do, places to eat and sights to see.

We even have a Thai temple

We also have lots of those, instead I prefer to mention that I have my choice of Christian churches in the city, if I so choose.

...but if you don't have money, it could be disastrous IMO

Well, you and I will have to agree to differ on that point.

Assuming that one does have medical insurance, no amount of money can stop a disaster. No amount of money can turn back a stroke or heart attack.

It depends what you want in your twilight years. I see many 'happy' elderly monks who have no money (yes honest!), but who have a room over their heads and more free food than you could ask for.

I've had money ($ millionaire). I've also been in 'last-10-baht' situations. Neither scenario was the reason for me being happy or unhappy. That comes from your inner self.

But let's agree to differ :)

Both my wife and I prefer living here for as many reasons as you list for not liking it here - and so we do and quite happily -

If we wanted to move to USA, we could. We would likely have a good life there too, but Thailand is easily our choice.

But thanks for your sincere concern, though I am sorry to see you have so much negativity that obviously bubbles right below the surface of your own happiness.

Have you read the world's news section recently?

Back in EU/US

- Taxes are rising and your pension is not making ends meet.

- millions of immigrants are flocking in; putting huge pressure in welfare services and social peace.

- Citizens are gradually being stripped of their rights;

- The dollar is said to collapse soon plunging Western economies in total chaos.

- Terrorism is way worse than here.

There are simply no more places to run to.

It does not mean this place is good; it's just going down not as fast as the West.

Have you read the world's news section recently?

Back in EU/US

- Taxes are rising and your pension is not making ends meet.

- millions of immigrants are flocking in; putting huge pressure in welfare services and social peace.

- Citizens are gradually being stripped of their rights;

- The dollar is said to collapse soon plunging Western economies in total chaos.

- Terrorism is way worse than here.

There are simply no more places to run to.

It does not mean this place is good; it's just going down not as fast as the West.

None of the above are entirely true.

Dollar is rising and is poised to get stronger in 2016. If Dollar collapses and plunges western economies in chaos, I am sure Thailand economy will not escape.

I have never made as much money as I made this Year

I believe I have more rights in the US than I have in Thailand

Never have , or personally know of anyone being involved in a terrorist threat

More people die in car accident in a weekend than do in terrorist threats in a decade.in the US( not really sure of these stats)

Things are not as bad as same think back home, come in the water id finebiggrin.png unless of course when I was in school you were out partying, and while I was working and saving, you were getting laid in south east Asia, in that case you are screwed. tongue.png

I cringe when I hear " I sold the house, sold the business and moved to Thailand" a recipe for disaster IMO.

The truth of the matter is that at some point for many of us Thailand will get old, and we will want to get back home and for sure, if we are lucky we will get old and might need to repatriate.

I am also Back in the US, working, padding up my pensions and social security. In four years I will retire , but still maintain my Florida residence, I will move to my property in Thailand, for as long as I like and rent the property in FL .

if I dont like it there,or need to move back for medical reasons, I will have a way back home.

How is that a recipe for disaster. If they didn't sell the house and business they probably would still be in some miserable city in some miserable country... That my friend is a good recipe for disaster, you have it the wrong way around!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Well OP... I agree that you shouldn't burn any bridges.

That being said I wonder what do you consider a huge income in USA and if you married a Thai Woman who had no prospects in Thailand. My gf has serious doubts about moving to Canada because she has a career here and a huge plot of land that will fund her retirement once she inherits it.

She also has a lot of friends who moved overseas and are just miserable. Thais are social beings and unless there is a large Thai community where they live they won't be happy.

OP believes in his mind that you sprinkle some Thai resteraunts around you it's the same as being in Thailand? Sounds like his trying to justify his move. Quite frankly that's delusional..

How is that a recipe for disaster. If they didn't sell the house and business they probably would still be in some miserable city in some miserable country... That my friend is a good recipe for disaster, you have it the wrong way around!

How is not having a plan B is a recipe for disaster? do you need to ask? I guess you could throw caution to the wind, and when things go south on you blame the Thais.

or you could take your time, put in your time, save some money, rent the house back home, and then go do your thing. If Things work out well in Thailand, great, no harm, no foul. IF they don't, you have a plan B.

always in every situation have a plan B

Well OP... I agree that you shouldn't burn any bridges.

That being said I wonder what do you consider a huge income in USA and if you married a Thai Woman who had no prospects in Thailand. My gf has serious doubts about moving to Canada because she has a career here and a huge plot of land that will fund her retirement once she inherits it.

She also has a lot of friends who moved overseas and are just miserable. Thais are social beings and unless there is a large Thai community where they live they won't be happy.

Good point about the Thais being miserable overseas. I have had a Thai wife overseas and have met those miserable Thais it is more common then you think. Many problems arise with Thais going overseas boredom and not getting a nice job are 2 major ones.

I do agree too about not burning your bridges only fools do that.

How is not having a plan B is a recipe for disaster? do you need to ask? I guess you could throw caution to the wind, and when things go south on you blame the Thais.

or you could take your time, put in your time, save some money, rent the house back home, and then go do your thing. If Things work out well in Thailand, great, no harm, no foul. IF they don't, you have a plan B.

always in every situation have a plan B

You could spend your whole life working for plan B. Plan B always involves money

You could spend your whole life working for plan B. Plan B always involves money

my 2 Satang smartàrse comments smile.png

-there's no need for a Plan B if you have money,

-that also applies to those who have burned all those proverbial bridges,

-because with money it's rather easy to build new bridges.

OP:

Perhaps you should take advantage of America's superior health care and consult with a mental health professional to try and identify what deep insecurities compel you to belittle and disparage others in order to feel better about yourself.

Lots of luck in your search for answers!

And yes... we still remember your Decisions made for returning to the USA thread.

my 2 Satang smartàrse comments smile.png

-there's no need for a Plan B if you have money,

-that also applies to those who have burned all those proverbial bridges,

-because with money it's rather easy to build new bridges.

Then Money is your Plan B

Plan B give you options, and Money give you options,. Who does not like options?

I think that the OP makes some very valid and true statements but it's only an opinion at the end of the day and the OP is entitled to that.

However I get the impression that the OP is trying to convince himself rather than convince the membership of this forum, like he needs someone to agree with what He says to make him more sure that he made the right decision in moving back to the Good ole USA.

I could be wrong but how can you compare situations where emotions are involved to a summary or a balance sheet ?

I am one of those pensioners who is getting through on a meagre pension with no medical insurance and little in the bank to cover any contingency . yes we have a couple of nice properties to sell if it all goes tits up but I want those properties and any assets that we have to be used for my wife as her pension fund, she is a little younger than me (20 years) and in the event of my demise I would want her to be comfortable.

Talking about her indoors also makes me so thankful that I had the good luck to marry a "Good Un" and her. herself would be the major reason for me staying in Thailand that is apart from my entry into the most wonderful loving family which I now count as being part of.

I know, It all sounds bit too nice, a bit too cosy but living here even with all the negatives that there are and I am not blind to them is still for me the better option.

Not everyone lives in America. So we can't all pile down to Florida for the warm weather.

6th wedding anniversary next month, great kids, nice wife, warm dry weather.

I can cycle and hike every day.

Not all of us need to make money either.

Health Insurance is a big obsession for Americans, most of the rest of the world aren't all that bothered.

A strange cultural difference that Americans can't seem to understand.

When I was a kid they used to talk about the self-fulfilling prophecy like it was something magical and now with advances in neuroscience we can show how what we think and do can have an effect on who we become.

When I look around me I see beauty and wonder in the physical world around me and I feel love and satisfaction in my relationships. I sometimes think those who spend their time making long dark foreboding lists and focusing on the ugliness in this world are either projecting what lies within or bathing in a negative mindset which will become their reality and block all the joy from their lives.
I have chosen to live in a world filled with love and beauty but others may choose differently.

Archived