Why are you still in Thailand?

bwpage3

I am always amazed by OP's like this from people who have obviously not been happy with their life in Thailand and I am guessing that they themselves have made some bad decisions while having lived here and are justifying their move back home. IMO, (That's as long as it isn't just a baiting post..............rolleyes.gif )

It would be interesting to know the OP's reason for coming to Thailand and whether he was a teacher or retiree, as these two groups seem to be the ones his displeasure is directed at, but not limited to; all gloom and despondency directed towards something the OP couldn't, for whatever reason come to terms with.

Advice to the OP, in addition to the 'unhappy' posters on here try not to let your own opinions generalize the entire ex-pat communities successfully living here. On a personal level, I could list exceptions for every key point that you listed in the OP which has allowed me to live here (on slightly more than $1,000 a month) for the last 18 years. No bridges burnt, options always available. In other words, my choice to happily live here, not an obligation to do so. I know there are a lot more people that feel the same way.

My main reason for still being here though?

As usual, it is because all my clothes are here............wink.png

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still in Thailand because:

easy visa (retirement extension)

no personal income tax here or in my home country (all entirely legally)

fairly good infrastructure/accommodation

good choice of international restaurants/places to eat (I'm in Jomtien)

fair choice of imported goods in supermarkets (ditto)

fairly low prices for things involving a lot of labour

But all other things being equal (which they are not) I would move to Portugal or the Philippines or some Central/South American countries or even some parts of the US. The main things that hold me back are the first two items on my list above as all those countries would either make it hard for me to stay there permanently or would tax me heavily for doing so, or both.

I should point out that I have plenty of money in the bank and dont work, I live alone (and always will) and am currently in good health.

What dont I like about Thailand:

the need to finance healthcare oneself

it's too hot and humid

too much traffic (not a big deal)

too much noise (not a big deal where I am but could become a big deal overnight)

I dont like Thais and the way they do things very much (no big deal as I rarely have anything to do with them)

very high prices for imported items, and poor choice of goods in shops (no big deal)

Edited by KittenKong

I am reading the first OP and no wonder his wife jumper at the opportunity to move to USA.

Basically, what my gf said is correct.

Thai women who had no prospects in Thailand are fine with moving overseas where there is some kind of safety net.

Thai women who had a career in Thailand are miserable. Every single one of them (again, unless there is a very large Thai community).

I mean... who doesn't like free stuff?

"The house and all our belongings were left to my father in law, who was a dirt poor Isaan farmer. He deserved it, a decent man, always caring and supportive."

I wish I could do the same for my mom. She deserves it too. Always took a good care of me even now while I'm Thailand. I am overwhelmed with guilt being away if I ever return that will be the reason alone.

"I bought my wife a brand new car."

What did your wife do before she met you?

"Company provides medical, dental and life insurance so my family will be protected in the event anything happens to me."

Once I get married I will be getting health insurance thorough my wife's company in Thailand which is quite comprehensive. Really, if your wife works and is a career woman this shouldn't even be an issue.

I understand you want a better life for your family, but not everyone married into a poor family from Isaaan.coffee1.gif

I like being in Thailand to get away from big headed blow hards like the OP.

I've never met one other American in my small city and I like it that way. A Russian and s German but they weren't blow hards.

Yes. The more that move, like the OP, the more I will like it.

I like being in Thailand to get away from big headed blow hards like the OP.

I've never met one other American in my small city and I like it that way. A Russian and s German but they weren't blow hards.

Yes. The more that move, like the OP, the more I will like it.

That's OK. My Brit neighbor once told me I was a nice guy --- for an American.

You could spend your whole life working for plan B. Plan B always involves money

my 2 Satang smartàrse comments smile.png

-there's no need for a Plan B if you have money,

-that also applies to those who have burned all those proverbial bridges,

-because with money it's rather easy to build new bridges.

Then Money is your Plan B

Plan B give you options, and Money give you options,. Who does not like options?

enough money gives you Plan B and 24 more options (Plan C till Plan Z) smile.png

This forum has thrived for years off massive amounts of stories of personal misery.

It is very rare to read a happy or successful story that is truthful and full of verifiable facts. (not counting all the unverified, self-proclaimed keyboard millionaires)

With the last regime change, VISA requirements are getting tougher for many.

Divorce is rife.

Many school teachers finding out they cannot financial make ends meet or are not happy with what little they have.

Many have become professional bar stool sitters.

Many have told so many stories, their own mothers do not believe them.

So why are all the thousand's of "sad sacks" that write 10,000 posts a week of their extreme trials still doing in Thailand?

We have all heard all the stories. "Yeh, I came to Thailand from the UK because I love Asia" when you probably had no idea where on the map Asia is but in fact probably came because you heard a story how easy Thai girls were to get for the old, poor, ugly, you name it types.

So talked yourself into coming to Thailand with a few bucks in your pocket, thinking if the case runs out you can always getting a job teaching English, even though you may not have even finished high school in your own country and have no bonafide education or skills to legally exist in Thailand.

So the dream of the beautiful Thai girl landed you in Thailand and yes, even you were able to find one.

Even with that many have already been divorced from the "easy" Thai girls once or twice or more.

Many have a wife and kids. Kids that will grow up in Thailand with a piss poor education and no possible way to get out of the standard Thai poverty lifestyle (Knowing that Thai graduates from Uni make 15,000 baht a month which will never be enough for a house or car)

Medical insurance? Many have none and will eventually die leaving a financial burden on their poor family left behind.

So what is keeping you in Thailand?

Some strong souls have admitted they have no where to go back to, no education, no job skills in their own country. They probably do not have a choice and you have to respect those that tell the truth.

Others retirees living on a meek pension think they have it made compared to their own country? One really has to question when you compare exact apples to apples whether this is true or not. A 1 room flat is cheap in Thailand but probably can find a 1 room cheap anywhere in the world if you wanted to.

Reading the Thai news, the economy, the politics, the language, the VISA's, not being able to own land, succumbing to lowering yourself to teach English to survive, all the trash, pollution, scams, crime. Then add in no insurance, no SSN, many probably not keeping up with taxes, etc.

With all that going against you, what exactly is going for you after you get the girl and family?

I would be ashamed to admit to anyone if I moved 10,000 miles away and could only make $1,000 a month. Not quite the same as an oil workers salary.

I have a couple of friends that moved to Thailand, married now, have kid/kids. Want to go back to their home countries but have no money and no home to go back to.

Illegal VISA options all but run out. Stressed out knowing their Thai world is closing in on them.

The older you get, the harder it gets

So why are you still in Thailand?

My Situation:

Lived in Thailand for over 10 straight years

Found the Thai wife, have a kid

Moved back to Florida USA - Back to Corporate America, near the beach, climate same although cooler than Thailand, lots of Thai people, numerous Thai restaurants, Thai grocery stores to buy anything Thai and cook your own.

So basically everything is the same as in Thailand except it is much safer and cleaner where I live.

What is not the same:

Have huge income

Nicer house and vehicles

Nicer places to visit on weekends, holidays, cruises, etc. It's Florida!

Kid is in an excellent school, will be able to go on to Uni and actually have a future when he graduates

We even have a Thai temple

As is in Thailand, we have Thai's here working at Walmart just getting by but most appear to prefer it to Thailand

Love it you are so right , that is why I am not that stupid to put all my money in to thailand I aloud so much of my hard earned money to put into thailand not much money for me but that was it no more and me I not live there I just come and go to thailand.

I see it over and over man tell me how they sold the lot to move to thailand and I say how stupid are you but it is there money and there life .

The worst thing is when you get sick it cost shit loads to see a doctor and try and get better but the system is a joke when you are sick the doctors play get the money game from you I seen it over and over again and the doctors do it to the Thais as well .

But it is good fun if you can play the game a lot better then the thai lady just make sure you don't get involved with a thai mole from the bars no good at all .

Have had both and let me tell you the ones that are none bar are just so different it is not funny.

Bar moles are a no no from my experience .

Get a good one if you can and you will be a lot happier on saying that yes sometimes you can get a bad one who has not worked the bars but not a lots of them not like bar moles .

Bringing a Thai women to the USA is like raising a child.

If you like that good for you.

You have to teach them many things.

You also have to show them how to drive (if you dare), get them insurance and medical, the language, teach them a completely different culture.

The job part is huge as I agree it is not easy for them to find one, especially a decent job.

So eventually boredom will settle in.

I think it is easier for a guy from the USA to move to Thailand, then for them to come here.

This forum has thrived for years off massive amounts of stories of personal misery.

It is very rare to read a happy or successful story that is truthful and full of verifiable facts. (not counting all the unverified, self-proclaimed keyboard millionaires)

Divorce is rife.

Many school teachers finding out they cannot financial make ends meet or are not happy with what little they have.

So why are all the thousand's of "sad sacks" that write 10,000 posts a week of their extreme trials still doing in Thailand?

We have all heard all the stories. "Yeh, I came to Thailand from the UK because I love Asia" when you probably had no idea where on the map Asia is but in fact probably came because you heard a story how easy Thai girls were to get for the old, poor, ugly, you name it types.

So talked yourself into coming to Thailand with a few bucks in your pocket, thinking if the case runs out you can always getting a job teaching English, even though you may not have even finished high school in your own country and have no bonafide education or skills to legally exist in Thailand.

So the dream of the beautiful Thai girl landed you in Thailand and yes, even you were able to find one.

Even with that many have already been divorced from the "easy" Thai girls once or twice or more.

Many have a wife and kids. Kids that will grow up in Thailand with a piss poor education and no possible way to get out of the standard Thai poverty lifestyle (Knowing that Thai graduates from Uni make 15,000 baht a month which will never be enough for a house or car)

Medical insurance? Many have none and will eventually die leaving a financial burden on their poor family left behind.

Some strong souls have admitted they have no where to go back to, no education, no job skills in their own country. They probably do not have a choice and you have to respect those that tell the truth.

Others retirees living on a meek pension think they have it made compared to their own country? One really has to question when you compare exact apples to apples whether this is true or not. A 1 room flat is cheap in Thailand but probably can find a 1 room cheap anywhere in the world if you wanted to.

Reading the Thai news, the economy, the politics, the language, the VISA's, not being able to own land, succumbing to lowering yourself to teach English to survive, all the trash, pollution, scams, crime. Then add in no insurance, no SSN, many probably not keeping up with taxes, etc.

With all that going against you, what exactly is going for you after you get the girl and family?

I would be ashamed to admit to anyone if I moved 10,000 miles away and could only make $1,000 a month. Not quite the same as an oil workers salary.

I have a couple of friends that moved to Thailand, married now, have kid/kids. Want to go back to their home countries but have no money and no home to go back to.

Illegal VISA options all but run out. Stressed out knowing their Thai world is closing in on them.

My Situation:

Moved back to Florida USA - Back to Corporate America, near the beach, climate same although cooler than Thailand, lots of Thai people, numerous Thai restaurants, Thai grocery stores to buy anything Thai and cook your own.

So basically everything is the same as in Thailand except it is much safer and cleaner where I live.

What is not the same:

Have huge income

Nicer house and vehicles

Kid is in an excellent school, will be able to go on to Uni and actually have a future when he graduates

As is in Thailand, we have Thai's here working at Walmart just getting by but most appear to prefer it to Thailand

Love it you are so right , that is why I am not that stupid to put all my money in to thailand I aloud so much of my hard earned money to put into thailand not much money for me but that was it no more and me I not live there I just come and go to thailand.

I see it over and over man tell me how they sold the lot to move to thailand and I say how stupid are you but it is there money and there life .

The worst thing is when you get sick it cost shit loads to see a doctor and try and get better but the system is a joke when you are sick the doctors play get the money game from you I seen it over and over again and the doctors do it to the Thais as well .

But it is good fun if you can play the game a lot better then the thai lady just make sure you don't get involved with a thai mole from the bars no good at all .

Have had both and let me tell you the ones that are none bar are just so different it is not funny.

Get a good one if you can and you will be a lot happier on saying that yes sometimes you can get a bad one who has not worked the bars but not a lots of them not like bar moles .

On the big picture, what you say is generally true and I guess not really funny.

But, it did make me laugh. :)

Do you normally refer to your own child as "kid"? Not even a "my". Seems to lack a certain pride in his progeny. An afterthought or unplanned addition mayhap?

Some foreigners can make a very decent living here in Thailand, earning a good salary, perhaps even better than they would be earning back "home". Anyway, with the lower cost of living here you don't actually need to match the salaries of your "home" country. Only those who cannot survive without bringing their western lifestyle to Thailand would have problems, but then I do not see the point of moving here if that is how you wish to live.

Personally, I have no bridges to burn. I have not been back to the country I came from in more than 25 years (and then only for a funeral). See, I don't consider it as "home" anymore. Thailand is my home, so to go back would mean leaving my home. Everyone has a different story to tell, different reasons for being here. And to those naysayers who say you will never be accepted here, you are here at the whim of the immigration rules, etc., etc. ad nauseam, perhaps a bit of introspection is called for.

Edited by GarryP

Do you normally refer to your own child as "kid"? Not even a "my". Seems to lack a certain pride in his progeny. An afterthought or unplanned addition mayhap?

Maybe the kid came with the wife? (In which case it's quite nice of him to take on either.)

Who cares anyway?

Some foreigners can make a very decent living here in Thailand, earning a good salary, perhaps even better than they would be earning back "home". Anyway, with the lower cost of living here you don't actually need to match the salaries of your "home" country. Only those who cannot survive without bringing their western lifestyle to Thailand would have problems, but then I do not see the point of moving here if that is how you wish to live.

Personally, I have no bridges to burn. I have not been back to the country I came from in more than 25 years (and then only for a funeral). See, I don't consider it as "home" anymore. Thailand is my home, so to go back would mean leaving my home. Everyone has a different story to tell, different reasons for being here. And to those naysayers who say you will never be accepted here, you are here at the whim of the immigration rules, etc., etc. ad nauseam, perhaps a bit of introspection is called for.

I had a good income back in Europe and managed to arrange my retirement before I was 50. I dont think that I could have done that as easily here, and I dont think that I would ever want to get involved with any business venture that involves other people here (including staff, government offices etc). So I'm very glad to have sorted myself out elsewhere.

I left my home country (the UK) 40 years ago and have lived in other parts of Europe and parts of SEAsia ever since, until I retired and moved here. Everywhere where I have lived has been home to me.

The only real difference to my way of life in different countries is that the local food is different and the local rules are different, and whether I need heating or air-con or can just have natural ventilation. In every other respect I live exactly the same way here as I lived everywhere else, doing almost exactly the same things but with different scenery. I hope to continue doing that until I snuff it as it suits me perfectly.

I really dont care whether the locals anywhere accept me or not, and I dont suppose they care about that either.

The usage of "don't burn your bridges" is too often missed used on here.

One of the best life changes I have ever made was taking 3 months, during the winter, to sell everything I owned.

I retired at 50 and wanted to travel... what was holding me back was a 2400 sqft house full of stuff... I had become bogged down by material possessions... my ball and chain.

That process of going through, selling, donating, giving away and throwing away things I thought I could never do without was THE best thing I could have done at that time. I am now truly free and zero regrets.

I sold my house and now home is where I live.

IF the time comes that I need to return to the states, I will find a little place to rent until my need is gone and then I will leave again.

I've gone back the last 3 years for 5 weeks in the summer. This year I will not. I plan to see Vietnam and Philippines, especially during the smoke season and will probably start to scale back the amount of time I actually live here.

I am often not jumping with joy about living in Thailand and I understand why many of you are...and I often verbalize my thoughts and opinion and question myself why did I move here and why am I still here.

It's something I am working out in my head in my own time... certainly not at the stage of "personal misery" as some say or some are at.

For now I enjoy the hell out of riding my motorcycle in the mountains, exploring new places to eat and....

I am also changing my thinking about money. Going from working/saving mode to retiring/spending was not something I adjusted to as easily as I thought I would. A lot of inner contemplation, counseling, a couple trips back to the states and a lot of bashing from friends has reassured me it's ok to spend.

But a lot of people don't like what they don't like, doesn't make them bridge burners or dysfunctional people as is often said here... it makes them different from you and many of you can't seem to accept that for what ever reason.

The people I like hearing from are the ones that have taken action, whether they moved or stayed, live here part time or full time. I enjoy reading about and talking with them about their thought process. They offer good insight.

Edited by Nowisee

I'm not wealthy by any means but I am comfortable with Social Security and a private pension. I could afford to live in the USA but choose to stay here. Money may not be everything but being broke anywhere would certainly make for a miserable life. My Thai wife has put up with me for more than ten years. She is not likely to kick me out at this point but one never knows for sure. That said, I do feel comfortable having a plan B. I have a condo in the farang ghetto that is in my name and was bought before we were legally married. My wife is a hard worker and she is perfectly financially capable of being on her own. She doesn't need me.

As far as burning my bridges in the US, maybe I did. I gave my last house and property there to my kids. I told them that was their inheritance because I plan to live out the rest of my life as I see fit. My son is still convinced that I will be back and since he has done well in life, he would build me a retirement house on his land in beautiful scenic West Virginia. I'm happy here upcountry in the boonies of Thailand, warts and all and have no intension of leaving. If I would have to leave, it would not be my choice.

I think the worst miserable complainers here would be miserable no matter where they live. It's likely that many can't afford to move and are trapped here. Some people planned well for their move here and could move back to their home countries if they chose to do so. Those young people who work here for peanuts and live from payday to payday should be seriously thinking about how they will survive when they are no longer able to work and have no pension or savings. We all get old.

I didn't sell everything to move here - I'd been careful not to get bogged down in one place in the first place. And when I no longer enjoy living here, there's nothing to compel me stay, so I'll move on.

For now, though, I like it here. If the OP didn't, fair enough, but I never understand why people seem to want to prove that nobody should live here just because they didn't make a go of it. Move on, don't look back, and be happy wherever you choose to live.

There's a real difference between choosing Thailand as a place to build wealth in young and middle years than retiring after a lifetime of doing so.

I came to Thailand when I was 23 and there was plainly fewer opportunities to grow professionally and intellectually than the place I had left. Moving back five years ago (I am now 35) was a wise and timely decision.

If I had been 60, wealthy and without ambition, I can see how things might have been different than being young and poor.

Been around off and on about 6 years after coming on vacation back when. At this point affordability and familiarity are all thats keeping me here.

Slowly scouting out other locations, but as you get older its not as easy as it once was. Takes a lot of energy figuring out visas staying hotels etc thats involved in settling in abroad.

I think a lot of people just wash up here because its a popular vacation spot so those who do expatriate come to where they have been before as a familiarity factor.

So for me i guess its a combo of affordability, age, familiarity and laziness to put it bluntly.

Fortunately, I'm still young enough (late 40's) to have a go at some other locations i may be more interested in.

Most people are not Indiana jones or cia. Familiarity and inertia are strong factors. Many people never even make it out of the city they grew up in.

Edited by fey

Divorce is rife.

My Situation:

What is not the same:

Have huge income

Nicer house and vehicles

Gibberish

I think you should move here - you'd make a great English language teacher

Divorce is rife.

My Situation:

What is not the same:

Have huge income

Nicer house and vehicles

Gibberish

Ok I will and do a better job then you and you would be a Pom yes who put all your money in to thailand don't have to be smart to teach English in thailand.

Divorce is rife.

My Situation:

What is not the same:

Have huge income

Nicer house and vehicles

Gibberish

Ok I will and do a better job then you and you would be a Pom yes who put all your money in to thailand don't have to be smart to teach English in thailand.

Are there no commas on your keyboard ?

There's a real difference between choosing Thailand as a place to build wealth in young and middle years than retiring after a lifetime of doing so.

I came to Thailand when I was 23 and there was plainly fewer opportunities to grow professionally and intellectually than the place I had left. Moving back five years ago (I am now 35) was a wise and timely decision.

If I had been 60, wealthy and without ambition, I can see how things might have been different than being young and poor.

I came here to build up experiences and memories, not wealth.

Divorce is rife.

My Situation:

What is not the same:

Have huge income

Nicer house and vehicles

Gibberish

Are there no commas on your keyboard ?

Yes but I am lazy like you and not use them but all my money is not in thailand like you