Why are you still in Thailand?

bwpage3

Thailand was one of my stops on a 'Round the World' one year plane ticket. I met a thai girl shortly after I arrived and ended up married, .. I did the same thing so many of us so stupidly trustingly do, .. built a house and helped her family many times, .. but also like so many others, as soon as my money was gone, ..so was she, .. sleeping with another farang while we were still married. I never slept one night in the house I built near her family home, but everything I owned was stored in it.

When I tried to get some of my things, I was denied access as the house is not mine. They kept everything, .. even my clothes. I was under 60 at the time and had no pension, so I was in a very tough spot. Luckily for me a friend helped me with some money to get by. My pension is very small, and getting smaller as the Canadian Dollar continues to drop in value, even against the Tai baht. My pension used to provide me with 22,00 baht. Now, it is not quite 17,000 baht.

I can not afford to go anywhere or do anything but pay my rent and buy my food and medicines. No way I can go for a holiday .. even overnight so there is no way I can relocate to another place or return to my own country.

This is why I am still in Thailand at 68 years old

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand was one of my stops on a 'Round the World' one year plane ticket. I met a thai girl shortly after I arrived and ended up married, .. I did the same thing so many of us so stupidly trustingly do, .. built a house and helped her family many times, .. but also like so many others, as soon as my money was gone, ..so was she, .. sleeping with another farang while we were still married. I never slept one night in the house I built near her family home, but everything I owned was stored in it.

When I tried to get some of my things, I was denied access as the house is not mine. They kept everything, .. even my clothes. I was under 60 at the time and had no pension, so I was in a very tough spot. Luckily for me a friend helped me with some money to get by. My pension is very small, and getting smaller as the Canadian Dollar continues to drop in value, even against the Tai baht. My pension used to provide me with 22,00 baht. Now, it is not quite 17,000 baht.

I can not afford to go anywhere or do anything but pay my rent and buy my food and medicines. No way I can go for a holiday .. even overnight so there is no way I can relocate to another place or return to my own country.

Jeez!

facepalm.gif

Appreciate your honesty, sad story, but I would bet there are many like you that's for sure, so dont feel too bad, you werent the only one to get stung and certainly wont be the last.

The OP says he has everything the same as Thailand but safer and cleaner.

Well I am sure that Thailand is safer than USA and most of Europe. On my infrequent returns to the land of my birth I certainly feel much more at risk walking the streets there than I do in Thailand.

Living in rural Isaan, the air is as clear as anywhere else with no pollution for dozens of miles.

Personally, having worked in Asia for fifteen years, then retired to Thailand, I would not consider living anywhere else.

But, the same as living in any country, you need to have a plan to survive. I started planning my retirement pension when I was 18 and it allowed me to retire at age 52 and hopefully enjoy many more years in Thailand.

because i love to drink as much piss as i can and bang every day burp.gif

If what you are saying is true, don't you realise that it is odds on you are not going to live a lot longer?

It is not guaranteed that people like myself are going to live to a ripe old age, but in your case it is almost certain you are not.

I find the post a rather self serving one, but still some valid points are raised. So far as being cheaper in US, I can assure you such is not the case from my country Australia. the cost of living there is horrendous. I have a nice condo 9sqmts, views over the bay and i live comfortably, something I could not do in Oz on my pension.

As much as agree with most of your comment, I do however disagree equally on many others.

Life is not the same for all of us, I for example i live here quite happily, I have a good retirement nest which allows me to get the best of what Thailand has to offer. I'm Italian but have lived in UK since 1970, therefore I believe I get best of both worlds, Thailand most of the time, 3-4 months in UK and of course 2-3 visits to Italy to visit my family as well as traveling around EU as and when I please.

Also, I met a very lovely Thai girl and we've been together 5 years and all is well.

In other words, I have many options and this freedom allows me to be happy and content to live in Thailand.

I can't believe some of the sad stories I read and hear, don't you know or have any common sense? Don't you know that you've got to know your girl WELL before committing to buy a house-condo etc. You are victim of your own desire to own a pretty girl, of course she will read through that and, ultimately she will catch you. So my friends, look beyond the pretty face.

It may not be perfect here but, for me it nearly is.

If it weren't for the cold weather back home and the <deleted> snow, would be on the next plane back to normal....been mildly amused for the past 10+ years, but the constant noise, dealing with stupid people, traffic, daily near misses when crossing the street, etc., etc. have worn out the welcome mat.....always have a Plan B in my back pocket and very limited excess baggage, so sooner than later it will be bye, bye Lieland....???

Well I rest my case ....... be happy in your totally stuff up country with all your money and leave us alone we are very happy here with little pension money nice people nice beach and magnificent country life

Maybe amigo need to speak spanish to be together with the Cubanos y portorriquenos en Miami .....you are a looser mate had no idea about real life......only money you are typical USA person money money money ...stay and please unsuscribe yourself from this forum ...we do not need people like you here

Adios

....just wondering ...

So what is keeping you in Thailand?

Some strong souls have admitted they have no where to go back to, no education, no job skills in their own country. They probably do not have a choice and you have to respect those that tell the truth.

The others make up stories

What have you contributed here except troling how USA is great?

But America is great, I would live there if I was American.

I'd have a trailer with my bicycles on the back, Florida in winter, Oregon in the summer.

I wouldn't live in Canada ..... too cold and wet ...... but OK for ski-ing.

Last time in the US I priced out a F250 4x4 and a 25ft Airstream… motorcycle, mtb and kayak on the truck, live in southern arizona feb-may for excellent mtb'ing and june-sept in the pacific northwest for great kayaking and motorcycling and the rest in spain or wherever.

I need to stop being so lazy and make it happen... I've become so lazy here...555

Anyway, thanks for this post, it's inspirational and confirming.

where do you want go anyway? . last day I saw on TV a bungalow in Hawaii sold for 600'000$

here you would pay 8000 bahts a month for a nice little house in Udon Thani.

most people in the USA are broke. they all rely on their credit card or friends and families to stay out of the streets . 110 millions are out of the labor force. and you must really like the childish US mentality (people act like kids who can not stop to spend) and this horrible USA government (surrounded by croocked agencies) that borrow and print $ like if they are untouchable.

Europe is not better:. high unemployment rate, terrorism, Muslims, and lot of tax, problem of language , racism, and a shit government who don't care of their citizen.

there is no good place anymore. Thailand is still one of the best place where you can go a long way with your little money, don't have to pay crazy income tax.

anyway, welcome back to the USA. nobody forces anyone to stay in the LOL . the one who is forced to go back is the one who thought he could have the same life like in the USA(borrow from banks until he becomes a debt slave) , buy a house and a car, and spend thinking someone will come to help when the money will be gone. now go back to the USA and try to get some food stamps or a job at 50.... because here in Thailand there is no food stamps or ebt cards for farang.

I net about $60000.from my patented internet business so could live here or Florida. I am starting to lean to Florida again(feel safer driving,can own my own land and house are mostly the reasons,more tax breaks help to)

My gf however does not want to leave.Sooo

I arrived in 1990. Happily married to a Thai for 20 years with three great kids (that we had together). Overall Thailand has been a good, but not great, place to live. It's attractive qualities are the warm weather and low cost of living. The Thais are friendly, cheerful and fun loving but I have never really been able to connect and establish solid friendships - despite a solid Thai language base. My expat freinds are the best I have had. It's been relatively easy for myself and my wife to build a substantial asset and income base, I could not have done that in my home country. We are leaving Thailand mid this year with no plan to return. I will be eternally greatful for all of the good things that have come my way while in Thailand .... though I will not miss the place for a second, I will miss the freinds I have have for so many years. That said, will see how my wife handles being an expat. I suspect she will badly miss the perks of being a big fish ... which is what she loves about Thailand.

One can guarantee any kind of post which hits a nerve with some people will result in negativity flowing in leaps and bounds.

One can see it is the same posters by name that are always the most combative and resentful.

Many people, especially the negative ones, will never post anything factual other than their own misguided opinions because they know they really have no facts to post.

It does not matter to anyone what I post, were I live, why I moved, etc. But for some, the message seems to get them rightfully upset time and time again.

These posters can not see past their own point of view for one reason or another.

One poster here is happy about hearing about a job in Texas. He is happy, good for him. Do you want to bash him because he failed in Thailand or be happy because he is happy? Most bashings here come out of jealousy from those that have zero options.

2 other posters contacted me and live right here in Florida. Very happy after returning from Thailand. Do they need to be bashed as failures.

The point of this whole post was stir emotions which is always does.

Have negative posters commenting on the reasons why I did this or that. They have no clue but continue to act like they have all the answers when they have none.

The idea of a post is hopefully get some factual stories about what is possible and why and how people made them possible.

Did I fail because I moved to Florida? Fail at what? I am not a Thai citizen or resident. Some might think they are but until you become a legal resident or citizen, you are not.

For those of you that think moving from Thailand is a failure? What about those moved from their own countries to Thailand? Are they failures too because you said so?

This post did highlight some good factual experience. Options should always be planned.

Because Thailand has be great to you doesn't mean it won't be without hardship?

Anyone remember 1997? Could happen again, then where will you be with no options?

I would hope every single grown man on this forum would understand what is best for him, his family and their future.

When you start thinking you have all the answers for people you don't even know, you are already out of options.

If you do something, anything and have the balls to post up the facts, that is not being pompous, that is being honest.

If your whole life exists to post your opinions, well who really cares? show some factual accomplishments in Thailand.

If you live your life one day at a time, one week at a time, don't be surprised when life throws you a curveball.

The fact remains the country has not gotten any easier for foreigners the past 20 years, quite the opposite.

There are many Thai people in Florida that have managed to move here, open their own businesses, buy land and houses and cars not being married to Americans or farangs.

What exactly have you, not your wife, been able to do in their country?

Short of your wife having land and a house, what exactly have you the expat achieved? Landing a job as a school teacher.

I moved back to Florida, entire family is well adjusted and happy as hell. Our son will get a first world education and have his own future. Did I fail Thailand? I bet they were happy as hell to see another farang leave. I did not need anyones advice, just made it happen. It happened. Nothing pompous about it.

No need to be sad, jealous, combative. It is what you make of it and no one else matters except your family. My family has their entire lives to adjust to the USA, where they are finding out they can fit in and be accepted, go to school and be what ever they want to be.

Exactly, you make several good points.

Anyone that says their life is much better in Thailand. I believe it, but who is reporting?

I love Thailand, for a visit. I have met some really nice people, Thai and Falang.

Sorry, but I believe most that think Thailand is so great never had much of a life in their home countries.

Mostly, due to lack of money or fruitful relationships I think.

I have traveled all over the world and would say Thailand is at the lower end of "quality of life".

I live California and have good money. Sorry, but I went to college, got a great job, and after 30 years have a great retirement. I live in a really nice home, the weather is great, I have a nice car, it is very clean, the restaurants are wonderful, the clean beach is very close, everyone speaks English. It is a great life.

Much better then I would have in LOS.

I have spent time in the countryside LOS. My former GF being from Khon Kaen area. I was totally bored after a few days with no internet, modern conveniences, etc. I could never live in that type environment. Or, in the concrete jungles of BKK or Pattaya for that matter.

But, probably just my issue I guess.

LOS is great for a month or two for me. I come a lot. I like drinking and sexy girls. But that is about it really.

I know many people verbally "seem happy" with their lives in LOS. Good for them if things are that much better.

For me, living in LOS would be a big step down.

I am just saying.

You see, in the 3 years I have been here I have never once said I love Thailand and I don't. It's just ok.

For me it should be the same, come here for a month or two and move on.

I understand why some people say it is paradise and they love it.. I get that. But the US has some of the most beautiful places and things to do.

If it weren't for the cold weather back home and the <deleted> snow, would be on the next plane back to normal....been mildly amused for the past 10+ years, but the constant noise, dealing with stupid people, traffic, daily near misses when crossing the street, etc., etc. have worn out the welcome mat.....always have a Plan B in my back pocket and very limited excess baggage, so sooner than later it will be bye, bye Lieland....???

Yep... this is a lot of what I'm feeling already at 3 years... this is why I ask myself why am I still here. One thing I have to admit is I am lazy and it's easy to live here. but some of things you mention are burning me out.

Some of it could be that I live in CM in a stupid busy area... but what I think it is mostly, I am bored here... so much more for me to do recreationally in the states.

Initiate Plan B...5555.

Happy new year smile.png

Bringing a Thai women to the USA is like raising a child.

If you like that good for you.

You have to teach them many things.

You also have to show them how to drive (if you dare), get them insurance and medical, the language, teach them a completely different culture.

The job part is huge as I agree it is not easy for them to find one, especially a decent job.

So eventually boredom will settle in.

I think it is easier for a guy from the USA to move to Thailand, then for them to come here.

I think some guys become so convinced that life in the West is so infinitely better that they scarcely give a moment's thought to how well their Thai wife will adjust to a new life in the West, and what effort will be needed to make the adjustment a smooth one.

I genuinely worry that some guys not only fail to fully consider, but may even deliberately neglect, their wife's adjustment needs. Secretly threatened by the prospect that the wife might become too socially or financially independent, they neglect these needs in the hope that their wife's primary focus will remain caring for their spouse. If no planning or effort is made to facilitate cultural assimilation, social extension, language skill, educational and occupational development, social isolation and boredom will almost inevitably set in. OP, what if your wife wants to work, but the best job she can find is as a housekeeper at the local Motel 6, or working the drive thru window at the Jack-in-the-Box restaurant? Will you find this so socially embarrassing that you will refuse to let her work away from home?

I also think that some guys fail to consider how well a wife from Southeast Asia, (especially if they have limited formal education, poor English skills, or there is a big age gap between the husband and the wife) will be socially received in the West. Be it casual socializing amongst family, friends or coworkers, at the local country or golf club, at the company Christmas party or Fourth of July picnic, at school events, or at dinner and cocktail parties, etc., subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) judgmental attitudes and prejudices can bubble to the surface, and a foreign born spouse can be made to feel like they don't fit in, and aren't fully accepted or well-respected. Just as an example, on the TV program '90 Days To Wed' (which profiles couples where one spouse is in the US on a fiancee visa), the foreign-born spouses often encounter suspicion and skepticism from family and friends about their motives for marrying.

Also, even if a woman is relatively well-educated, has marketable job skills, and good language skills, not everyone has the temperament or inclination to uproot and move away from their family and friends to an unfamiliar country, no matter how much promise it might hold. Care for aging parents, relationships with already emancipated children, sibblings, friends, already established careers and businesses, and - believe it or not - genuine enjoyment of living in Thailand, may make people reluctant to uproot.

Any sensible person who truly puts the welfare of his family first should at least consider these factors before deciding to relocate. There's no 'one size fits all' answer to where best to live, and I'm genuinely surprised that the OP seems to so woefully under appreciate this.

I think some guys become so convinced that life in the West is so infinitely better that they scarcely give a moment's thought to how well their Thai wife will adjust to a new life in the West, and what effort will be needed to make the adjustment a smooth one.

I wonder how many are in my position, before we married I thought my wife would like the west but after 2 visits decided she did not like the weather food and missing family. So I moved here 10 years ago, since then the positives have been steadily out weighed by the negatives and if not for the wife I definitely would go home tomorrow. Then there is the political situation here where people can get 30 years in prison (virtual death sentence) for face book comments, there is an undercurrent of oppression and lack of freedom here now and I find the incessant nationalism jarring. Added to that the usual dislikes of noise, traffic madness and general lack of responsibility together with the Thai lack of logic and common sense just gets on my tits these days, when it used to be quaint or amusing.

Luckily we don't have kids to consider and now she's a bit too old for them anyway. So I find myself always about one argument away from saying sod this i'm off. I would miss her but she does not cook for me and does not do the cleaning or ironing either, so adjusting to a single life again in the west would not be that difficult. The climate and cost of living are the only things make me hesitate about going home, and the mrs of course.

So what is keeping you in Thailand?

Some strong souls have admitted they have no where to go back to, no education, no job skills in their own country. They probably do not have a choice and you have to respect those that tell the truth.

The others make up stories

Well said linden, its been an interesting read, despite the obviously educated Posters replies, I detect envy and insecurity amongst the "I'm richer than you" crowd, many who seem to have led sheltered lives, worrying about Health Insurance, and burnt bridges. Working as an A.B. on mostly Brit. ships trading worldwide for 43 years with all the hardship of life at sea(for those who demand verification of these assertions PM me) provided me with emotional, and physical tools to handle anything that life or nature comes my way. Why Thailand? I married a Thai, if I had married a Moroccan girl that I once lived with, I would be living in the Mid-Atlas. Also Thailand is Loke sawan compared to my ex-hometown in S.Wales on mud island(UK). My last visit '11 half the shops were boarded up, and the people mostly East Europeans were pimping young local girls in the docks area, it seemed the worst town West of Suez to me. So LOS is OK with me even at '71 and no Health Insurance I have no cares, I've got my Vigo, as I like to drive around rural Isaan, and my wife and I have a ! ry garden. also I never had any "bridges" to burn.

I read 'what happened in 1997 could happen again, then where would you be ' what happened ?

I was here then when the pound got to 95 to the baht, so if it happened again i'd be down at super rich changing money. Gold was about 6k for a baht then as well

Archived