Why are you still in Thailand?

bwpage3

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had been 60, wealthy and without ambition, I can see how things might have been different than being young and poor.

At 60 most of your ambition is to live another year.

If you haven't done everything else by then, you're a loser.

If your ambition at 60 is living another year, you have failed at life in general.

Today, 60 is still pretty young.

If you have not been a fool and have taken care of yourself, your ambition should be living another 20 years or more...not one!

So, if you have a kid and he has some kind of chronic illness your kid failed at life.... like in general.

What arrogant thing to say.

Im still here because....I cant find the Departure Lounge, following renovations...biggrin.png

that's a good one weegee ... made me laugh gigglem.gif your problem is you keep ending up in the ladies toilets because you can't read the arrows correctly .

If I had been 60, wealthy and without ambition, I can see how things might have been different than being young and poor.

If your ambition at 60 is living another year, you have failed at life in general.

Today, 60 is still pretty young.

If you have not been a fool and have taken care of yourself, your ambition should be living another 20 years or more...not one!

So, if you have a kid and he has some kind of chronic illness your kid failed at life.... like in general.

What arrogant thing to say.

It depends on how you define life.

But as far a life accomplishments, I must say,

Yes, it is sad but true.

What has been accomplished?

Not much.

It's being realistic, not arrogant.

but I would not have made the statement myself.

Remember, you said it,not me.

...but if you don't have money, it could be disastrous IMO

Well, you and I will have to agree to differ on that point.

Assuming that one does have medical insurance, no amount of money can stop a disaster. No amount of money can turn back a stroke or heart attack.

It depends what you want in your twilight years. I see many 'happy' elderly monks who have no money (yes honest!), but who have a room over their heads and more free food than you could ask for.

I've had money ($ millionaire). I've also been in 'last-10-baht' situations. Neither scenario was the reason for me being happy or unhappy. That comes from your inner self.

But let's agree to differ :)

As predicted 100% in the original post, the keyboard millionaires come out now happily living om $1,000 or less a month.

Have you read the world's news section recently?

Back in EU/US

- Taxes are rising and your pension is not making ends meet.

- millions of immigrants are flocking in; putting huge pressure in welfare services and social peace.

- Citizens are gradually being stripped of their rights;

- The dollar is said to collapse soon plunging Western economies in total chaos.

- Terrorism is way worse than here.

There are simply no more places to run to.

It does not mean this place is good; it's just going down not as fast as the West.

Thailand is not down? Thailand is not third world? You are kidding yourself. If the dollar ever collapsed how much do you think the baht would be worth? Do you even bother to pay tax? Sorry but the sky is not falling chicken little. In Thailand, your hardly a visa running guest. When times get as tough as you make them out to be you will see how welcome you really are. Land? Exactly.

I am reading the first OP and no wonder his wife jumper at the opportunity to move to USA.

Basically, what my gf said is correct.

Thai women who had no prospects in Thailand are fine with moving overseas where there is some kind of safety net.

Thai women who had a career in Thailand are miserable. Every single one of them (again, unless there is a very large Thai community).

I mean... who doesn't like free stuff?

"The house and all our belongings were left to my father in law, who was a dirt poor Isaan farmer. He deserved it, a decent man, always caring and supportive."

I wish I could do the same for my mom. She deserves it too. Always took a good care of me even now while I'm Thailand. I am overwhelmed with guilt being away if I ever return that will be the reason alone.

"I bought my wife a brand new car."

What did your wife do before she met you?

"Company provides medical, dental and life insurance so my family will be protected in the event anything happens to me."

Once I get married I will be getting health insurance thorough my wife's company in Thailand which is quite comprehensive. Really, if your wife works and is a career woman this shouldn't even be an issue.

I understand you want a better life for your family, but not everyone married into a poor family from Isaaan.coffee1.gif

That women with a career in Thailand? A Thai making minimum wage in the Us probably out earns 90% of the Thai women with careers in Thailand. You try to generalize and put every single Thai woman that went abroad into the same category.

What I have seen first hand is many farang do not tell their wives the truth, bring them abroad to crappy existence worse than Thailand and expect them to be overjoyed with nothing.

No one cares to read anything people who make up stories with no facts or evidence.

It's odd the people making the most noise never have one truthful fact to share

I am always amazed by OP's like this from people who have obviously not been happy with their life in Thailand and I am guessing that they themselves have made some bad decisions while having lived here and are justifying their move back home. IMO, (That's as long as it isn't just a baiting post..............rolleyes.gif )

It would be interesting to know the OP's reason for coming to Thailand and whether he was a teacher or retiree, as these two groups seem to be the ones his displeasure is directed at, but not limited to; all gloom and despondency directed towards something the OP couldn't, for whatever reason come to terms with.

Advice to the OP, in addition to the 'unhappy' posters on here try not to let your own opinions generalize the entire ex-pat communities successfully living here. On a personal level, I could list exceptions for every key point that you listed in the OP which has allowed me to live here (on slightly more than $1,000 a month) for the last 18 years. No bridges burnt, options always available. In other words, my choice to happily live here, not an obligation to do so. I know there are a lot more people that feel the same way.

My main reason for still being here though?

As usual, it is because all my clothes are here............wink.png

Here is a tip. Read the original post. Back to corporate America. That pretty much rules out being retired or a school teacher.

I am 61. I worked for a company in the US for 30 years and got a great retirement for life.

I have traveled all over the world and go a little tired of it.

Yes, my ambition is to live another year only so I can pursue a greater ambition which is young cute thai girls. :)

I have over 10,000 posts on "another forum".

I started posting because I was so miserable in Canada that the forum became my way out... literally to another world.

I was living other people's stories and eventually I decided to get some blz and move myself.

Me posting is a habit. Just like other people do a crossword puzzle or read NY Times in the morning.

What I find sad about you OP is that like most Americans (well Westerners) you are not honest with yourself. Your whole life is a lie.

There is no shame saying that you came to Thailand because you couldn't find a woman in your ole' US of A.

If that's not the case then why did you not move back earlier... before you got yourself a wife?

Certainly you spent a lot of time in Thailand since you built a house and had a business.

You came to Thailand because you were lonely. Period.

But no.... instead you come up with a story to justify your existence by trashing the place you chose to live in and make fun of Thai Visa posters. BTW, these are the same posters I learned a lot from about bad women, money, scams, condos, lies, etc...etc....

I learned a lot from those barstool sitters.

What have you contributed here except troling how USA is great?

BTW, life is not about money. Not at all.

First of all you do not know me and you have no idea, as usual, what you are talking about. I did not come to Thailand because I was lonely. Far from it. My job in corporate America had me flying back and forth from the US to Asia Almost every week. After doing that for a couple of years I got sick of the travel and just stayed in Thailand. I always knew I could go back anytime I wanted and have the same kind of corporate job. If you have been in Thailand for 10 years or more, ask yourself have things gotten better for foreigners or worse? Pretty simple question for every expat to figure out themselves unless you trapped yourself there. You don't have to be jealous of anyone else that makes their own decisions for a year any reason.

We've been here for 19+ years to include numerous long trips back to the US. Every time we go back to the US, we think to ourselves, "isn't this better than what we have in Thailand?," to the point that we've considered moving back many times. But when we return to our small home in the jungle, it takes all of a week or two to remind ourselves that what we have here is not attainable in the US, no matter how much money we have. And so we remain.

Different strokes for different folks..........if you're happy in the US, then be happy. But don't deride others who choose to live here....especially when you failed at trying to do so.

And for what it's worth.....I can count the number of Thai/American marriages that are over the 25 year mark on many many more hands than those that have failed. Several nearing the 50 year mark.

Does that count the 700 farangs that got divorced in Khon Kaen in one month?

America's race relations are dysfunctional.

There is terrible social isolation and alienation there.

People psychoanalyze one another to death endlessly there.

Corporate interests control the government.

There is too much gun violence in America.

The threat of terrorism is lower here.

People are friendlier here.

The cost of living is cheaper here.

My blood pressure is lower here.

I am certain that my wife is happier here than she would be if I dragged her to America.

I am far happier here than I ever was in America.

Divide the population of people living in the USA by the number of guns deaths in 2015. Then post that percentage here.

This will be your own proof how factually unsound your own statement is.

One can guarantee any kind of post which hits a nerve with some people will result in negativity flowing in leaps and bounds.

One can see it is the same posters by name that are always the most combative and resentful.

Many people, especially the negative ones, will never post anything factual other than their own misguided opinions because they know they really have no facts to post.

It does not matter to anyone what I post, were I live, why I moved, etc. But for some, the message seems to get them rightfully upset time and time again.

These posters can not see past their own point of view for one reason or another.

One poster here is happy about hearing about a job in Texas. He is happy, good for him. Do you want to bash him because he failed in Thailand or be happy because he is happy? Most bashings here come out of jealousy from those that have zero options.

2 other posters contacted me and live right here in Florida. Very happy after returning from Thailand. Do they need to be bashed as failures.

The point of this whole post was stir emotions which is always does.

Have negative posters commenting on the reasons why I did this or that. They have no clue but continue to act like they have all the answers when they have none.

The idea of a post is hopefully get some factual stories about what is possible and why and how people made them possible.

Did I fail because I moved to Florida? Fail at what? I am not a Thai citizen or resident. Some might think they are but until you become a legal resident or citizen, you are not.

For those of you that think moving from Thailand is a failure? What about those moved from their own countries to Thailand? Are they failures too because you said so?

This post did highlight some good factual experience. Options should always be planned.

Because Thailand has be great to you doesn't mean it won't be without hardship?

Anyone remember 1997? Could happen again, then where will you be with no options?

I would hope every single grown man on this forum would understand what is best for him, his family and their future.

When you start thinking you have all the answers for people you don't even know, you are already out of options.

If you do something, anything and have the balls to post up the facts, that is not being pompous, that is being honest.

If your whole life exists to post your opinions, well who really cares? show some factual accomplishments in Thailand.

If you live your life one day at a time, one week at a time, don't be surprised when life throws you a curveball.

The fact remains the country has not gotten any easier for foreigners the past 20 years, quite the opposite.

There are many Thai people in Florida that have managed to move here, open their own businesses, buy land and houses and cars not being married to Americans or farangs.

What exactly have you, not your wife, been able to do in their country?

Short of your wife having land and a house, what exactly have you the expat achieved? Landing a job as a school teacher.

I moved back to Florida, entire family is well adjusted and happy as hell. Our son will get a first world education and have his own future. Did I fail Thailand? I bet they were happy as hell to see another farang leave. I did not need anyones advice, just made it happen. It happened. Nothing pompous about it.

No need to be sad, jealous, combative. It is what you make of it and no one else matters except your family. My family has their entire lives to adjust to the USA, where they are finding out they can fit in and be accepted, go to school and be what ever they want to be.

We've been here for 19+ years to include numerous long trips back to the US. Every time we go back to the US, we think to ourselves, "isn't this better than what we have in Thailand?," to the point that we've considered moving back many times. But when we return to our small home in the jungle, it takes all of a week or two to remind ourselves that what we have here is not attainable in the US, no matter how much money we have. And so we remain.

Different strokes for different folks..........if you're happy in the US, then be happy. But don't deride others who choose to live here....especially when you failed at trying to do so.

And for what it's worth.....I can count the number of Thai/American marriages that are over the 25 year mark on many many more hands than those that have failed. Several nearing the 50 year mark.

Does that count the 700 farangs that got divorced in Khon Kaen in one month?

I have lived in Khon Kaen for over 10 years, and to be honest, your quotation of 700 farangs it the biggest BS I have ever read, or even, the most likely I will ever read on Thai Visa.

So today I got home, My wife says to me, I got some bad news , I ask what ? she says you know the property we have by the ring road in KKC, I said yea what about it. She Says they opened a cement plan right behind it, noise and dust all day and night.

So that property is unless and I am out 20 grand. TIT ,

The good news she says is that if we still want to build there, cement will be real cheap,laugh.png the girl has a good sense of humor, which is probably why she married me.tongue.png

I love Thailand, but the more I know about it, the more I love the good old USA, Never invest on anything in Thailand that you cant laugh about it when they build a cement factory behind itlaugh.png

I get the impression from your post that you consider money #1.

What is wrong in earning $1,000 per month in Thailand? It is a helluva lot more than most Thais earn.

What is wrong in living/renting a one-room house in Thailand? Can you live in 2 or 3 rooms at the same time?

I agree that one should have suitable medical insurance, but a big house and a big salary (in any country) doesn't always mean a big smile on your face

Only one thing wrong with earning $1,000 per month, It does not allow you to prepare for the future, that if you are lucky will come.

Thailand is great for the young, and if you have money for the old, but if you don't have money, it could be disastrous IMO

and I agree that the big house and the big salary does not always mean a big smile on your face, but it sure helps when things go south on you,

Hopefully you've settled down with a lovely with and family. That's who will look after you when you get older. Unlike the western world, it's fabulous to know that if I'm old and grey my kids will take care of me over here.

"Senior Member", I normally would agree would your premise, but the condescening tone of your diatribe make me want to puke.

Please stick to telling your friend in Florida (the sunny place for shady people) how many foreign fools there are in Thailand.

Anyone that says their life is much better in Thailand. I believe it, but who is reporting?

I love Thailand, for a visit. I have met some really nice people, Thai and Falang.

Sorry, but I believe most that think Thailand is so great never had much of a life in their home countries.

Mostly, due to lack of money or fruitful relationships I think.

I have traveled all over the world and would say Thailand is at the lower end of "quality of life".

I live California and have good money. Sorry, but I went to college, got a great job, and after 30 years have a great retirement. I live in a really nice home, the weather is great, I have a nice car, it is very clean, the restaurants are wonderful, the clean beach is very close, everyone speaks English. It is a great life.

Much better then I would have in LOS.

I have spent time in the countryside LOS. My former GF being from Khon Kaen area. I was totally bored after a few days with no internet, modern conveniences, etc. I could never live in that type environment. Or, in the concrete jungles of BKK or Pattaya for that matter.

But, probably just my issue I guess.

LOS is great for a month or two for me. I come a lot. I like drinking and sexy girls. But that is about it really.

I know many people verbally "seem happy" with their lives in LOS. Good for them if things are that much better.

For me, living in LOS would be a big step down.

I am just saying.

I was in many countries in Asia and Europe,but I do not know better country to live in than Thailand!

I am over 50 and visa is not problem for me and very cheap too.Cheapest at all comparing to any country I was in!

Weather is warm all over the year,food is great.People are in general friendly.

If you can socialize well,eat their food and learn to speak Thai,living cost is very cheap.

I have steady income from Europe about 1000 Euro and it is pretty good money in Thailand if you do not drink to much and do not pay bar girls!I feel that I live like a "king" comparing to my country life cost!

My Thai GF work too and we live in her small condo.She is owner!

I am happy here and I do not think to go back in European Union unless I get seriously sick.

Health can be only problem for me cos I can not afford cost of hospital bills here.

All people I know that live here,love this country and want to stay here for a life!!!

I think people who can be unhappy here ,will be unhappy any where else!

This forum has thrived for years off massive amounts of stories of personal misery.

It is very rare to read a happy or successful story that is truthful and full of verifiable facts. (not counting all the unverified, self-proclaimed keyboard millionaires)

With the last regime change, VISA requirements are getting tougher for many.

Divorce is rife.

Many school teachers finding out they cannot financial make ends meet or are not happy with what little they have.

Many have become professional bar stool sitters.

Many have told so many stories, their own mothers do not believe them.

So why are all the thousand's of "sad sacks" that write 10,000 posts a week of their extreme trials still doing in Thailand?

We have all heard all the stories. "Yeh, I came to Thailand from the UK because I love Asia" when you probably had no idea where on the map Asia is but in fact probably came because you heard a story how easy Thai girls were to get for the old, poor, ugly, you name it types.

So talked yourself into coming to Thailand with a few bucks in your pocket, thinking if the case runs out you can always getting a job teaching English, even though you may not have even finished high school in your own country and have no bonafide education or skills to legally exist in Thailand.

So the dream of the beautiful Thai girl landed you in Thailand and yes, even you were able to find one.

Even with that many have already been divorced from the "easy" Thai girls once or twice or more.

Many have a wife and kids. Kids that will grow up in Thailand with a piss poor education and no possible way to get out of the standard Thai poverty lifestyle (Knowing that Thai graduates from Uni make 15,000 baht a month which will never be enough for a house or car)

Medical insurance? Many have none and will eventually die leaving a financial burden on their poor family left behind.

So what is keeping you in Thailand?

Some strong souls have admitted they have no where to go back to, no education, no job skills in their own country. They probably do not have a choice and you have to respect those that tell the truth.

Others retirees living on a meek pension think they have it made compared to their own country? One really has to question when you compare exact apples to apples whether this is true or not. A 1 room flat is cheap in Thailand but probably can find a 1 room cheap anywhere in the world if you wanted to.

Reading the Thai news, the economy, the politics, the language, the VISA's, not being able to own land, succumbing to lowering yourself to teach English to survive, all the trash, pollution, scams, crime. Then add in no insurance, no SSN, many probably not keeping up with taxes, etc.

With all that going against you, what exactly is going for you after you get the girl and family?

I would be ashamed to admit to anyone if I moved 10,000 miles away and could only make $1,000 a month. Not quite the same as an oil workers salary.

I have a couple of friends that moved to Thailand, married now, have kid/kids. Want to go back to their home countries but have no money and no home to go back to.

Illegal VISA options all but run out. Stressed out knowing their Thai world is closing in on them.

The older you get, the harder it gets

So why are you still in Thailand?

My Situation:

Lived in Thailand for over 10 straight years

Found the Thai wife, have a kid

Moved back to Florida USA - Back to Corporate America, near the beach, climate same although cooler than Thailand, lots of Thai people, numerous Thai restaurants, Thai grocery stores to buy anything Thai and cook your own.

So basically everything is the same as in Thailand except it is much safer and cleaner where I live.

What is not the same:

Have huge income

Nicer house and vehicles

Nicer places to visit on weekends, holidays, cruises, etc. It's Florida!

Kid is in an excellent school, will be able to go on to Uni and actually have a future when he graduates

We even have a Thai temple

As is in Thailand, we have Thai's here working at Walmart just getting by but most appear to prefer it to Thailand

And your point is !!!!

Personaly I am fine here in Thailand away from the rat race. Each to his/her own enjoy the rat race cut throat people.

Archived