Why are you still in Thailand?

bwpage3

@ bwpage3

Too many quotes on quotes so let me answer from your last response aimed at me. your statements highlighted in grey and numbered.

1) We see posts every single week how everyone has it all figured out, all kinds of success stories and not one shred of evidence to back it up. But then other comments like having to use your wife's land and a less than stellar house tell a different story.

^ Yes there are many fools that land in Thailand(SEAsia) and make some terrible errors in judgment, we all read about them. In fact I have met a few. in speaking with a few most never had a plan. We call it rose colored glasses and a lot of booze.

2) Working in Thailand on an expat salary is not the same as living there retired. Not even close.

You are absolutely right on being retired versus living there on an expat salary. I personally think it is the best way to see the place. You have ample time on weekends and holidays to go see the country. I enjoyed Malaysia the same way(not for nearly as long). Hated China. This afforded me time to assess the place.

3) Were you on business assignments in the far north or Isaan or in the city? Apples and oranges.

My assignments were outside BKK, I seldom went into the city. I preferred the outskirts. While I agree that BKK versus Isaan is vastly different, work is work, people are people. I was afforded an excellent opportunity which allowed me to see what Thailand is and isn't. I didn't make a decision on retiring there based on a few holiday weekends in Pattaya.

4)Another keyboard millionaire, build on land that wasn't even yours, and then stating what a "nice" house you have. You my friend do not have anything, your wife has it all.

Well I have to say, I wish I was a millionaire(I guess somewhere on paper I am but that's just paper). See I am of the opinion one should only invest in Thailand what one is willing to lose(this should be a rule anywhere IMHO). My investment in the house on HER land (since you have a hang up about that) was all OK with me. I completely understand the rules. Now the house is in our name but I do not see that being anything advantageous. She insisted on it. Its just us 2 and if something should happen to her I can stay. See I don't judge my wife by what all the others have posted that had happen to them. People do not come to forums to talk about good things, they come to whinge, bitch piss and moan(just like you). Not all are the scamming undermining cheaters that many men come on and whinge about. In fact I laugh at those guys because they were the ignorant ones.

Btw, now that you are back and comfy in the US, who owns your house and the land?. Hmm. I thought so..A BANK! You own nothing just a bit like Thailand No? However now you have to work to keep the bank happy and your credit rating up or you could lose it all. I do not have to do any of that. All paid in full.

5)You would do best to educate yourself by reading the 10 thousands of posts from people that have retired in Thailand and grew old of it, bored with, divorced from it or 100 other reasons.

Why in the hell would I do that. I do not care what 10,000 people posted on a forum. I am me and live my life for me. I own it. Anyone who can be swayed by others whinging on a Thai forum strike me as pretty weak in their personal make up. While I am not saying there are not things to learn from some of them, most are simply tools that never had a plan, the means or thought it through.

6)Everyone claims to know Thailand pretty well. Ever drive from Chiang Rai to Phuket? How about Phuket to Nong Kai? You do not know Thailand well.

Interestingly, yes I have driven virtually north to south and east to west. After meeting my GF(now wife) we did that trek before coming back to the US. She resigned from her job and we spent appx 2 months messing around. Was a great trip. We left just outside Chiang Mai. The drive out of the mountains was pretty typical but gave me an idea of the North. We stopped at the elephant reserve in Lampang, From there to Ayutthaya was scenic but not much to see. I enjoyed all the road stops and she picked up spices and items to bring to the US. I liked Cha Am, did not care for Hua Hin, I enjoyed Pran Buri, Ao Luk, Krabi. We didn't quite make it into Phuket but I didn't really want to just like I have never been to Pattaya. Just too touristy for my personal taste(btw, I have been to virtually all the islands in case you wondered about that). On the return back we went to Mae Sot to the Burma Border then blew across to Chiang Rai then to her friends house in Korat. We logged a ton of kms on her car(yes I have a Thai drivers license and drove a lot). We flew to Cambodia to Angkor Wat for a week as I always wanted to visit it. See I was not a sit at home type. Every holiday while working I went and saw new places. The North and BKK Thai language was a challenge to understand. I could go on and on but you seem to have judged me like you tell me not to judge you.

7) You have never retired or living Thailand permanently so you have no experience to give anyone on that matter.

Well why does one have to be retired in Thailand to offer advice to others? To me your angst reads like you moved to Thailand,thought it was the "promise land", got pigeon holed away out in Isaan and felt trapped. I get it, you didn't have a plan and it ate you up mentally. You are not alone. You got married, had a child and you got a wake up call. (I could poke a dig at you but won't, I will let it go).Retiring anywhere is tough unless you really think it out. Wait until you retire in the US if you even can, you will likely work until you die like 90% of the population. Now maybe that's what you want to do. Some can't think of a life without work, they are conditioned to it. Wait until your wife has her moments in the states and her rose colored glasses come off. I know my wife had her moments. Its comfy for you to be back but what about your wife? Give it time. The US isn't the "promise land" either

8)To each own. Should read some more posts as their is a growing number that thought Thailand was the promised land, not thinking so much these days.

Do a read on what happened in 1997. Living in the third world? Nothing is ever guarantee

Again, I do not alter my life to whinging posters on a Thai forum(seems you do though). If you do that's your choice but I guarantee you your POV will be extremely jaded. I have never ever thought of Thailand as the "promise land". That's ridiculous. who thinks like that anyway? Anyone considering moving abroad should do their homework, it does not matter to what country. I am clearly aware of Thailand's position and what I can and cannot do and the pro's and con's. Every place has them.

Good Luck back in the states.

Just another person who has the answers to everything, had been there and done everything, worked for US Corporation in rural Thailand doing God knows what for 2 to 4 years at a time when there is nothing going on in rural Thailand corporate wise.

What exactly did you do? How about some facts? VISA?

You didn't build a US house, you built a Thai house in Timbuktoo. Ever try to sell a used house in Thailand? It is a lost investment. Thai's don't want to lose "face" buying a used house.

Wait 10 years and let me know how your house is holding up. Nothing is built to any quality standards in rural Thailand.

Ever see a brick mason in the USA use quarter bricks with an inch gap in between held together with the cement? Look under the raster and that is exactly what you will find. You can pound a chisel right through the outside wall with zero effort.

Do you understand the foundation your house is built on? A couple of pylons at best made with cheap, inferior concrete. Maybe no foundation at all? or the foundation sitting on top of the ground?

No wonder so many condos, apartment buildings, bridges etc. just seem to fall over in Thailand.

Mold, mildew, termites, you name it. Not to mention the smell from all the cooking.

You do not have anything of value there, sorry.

Whining? What's a forum for? To write posts? or to please you?

Maybe you don't seem to understand 90% of the posts of this entire forum are unhappy or people looking for answers or help? Are all these posters whining? If Thailand is such a Mecca, you wouldn't think there would be a forum of millions of posts seeking help.

Ubon Joe has answered 38,000 posts mostly about VISA's it seems. Yet you have never lived in Thailand and have it all figured out? Strange.

When you call most of the posters "simply tools" perhaps you should look in the mirror.

Ask one of the experienced "tool" posters what happens to your house if your wife dies before you?

Everyone moving to Thailand already knows it all. That is why we have a forum with millions of posts asking for help.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ bwpage3

Too many quotes on quotes so let me answer from your last response aimed at me. your statements highlighted in grey and numbered.

1) We see posts every single week how everyone has it all figured out, all kinds of success stories and not one shred of evidence to back it up. But then other comments like having to use your wife's land and a less than stellar house tell a different story.

^ Yes there are many fools that land in Thailand(SEAsia) and make some terrible errors in judgment, we all read about them. In fact I have met a few. in speaking with a few most never had a plan. We call it rose colored glasses and a lot of booze.

2) Working in Thailand on an expat salary is not the same as living there retired. Not even close.

You are absolutely right on being retired versus living there on an expat salary. I personally think it is the best way to see the place. You have ample time on weekends and holidays to go see the country. I enjoyed Malaysia the same way(not for nearly as long). Hated China. This afforded me time to assess the place.

3) Were you on business assignments in the far north or Isaan or in the city? Apples and oranges.

My assignments were outside BKK, I seldom went into the city. I preferred the outskirts. While I agree that BKK versus Isaan is vastly different, work is work, people are people. I was afforded an excellent opportunity which allowed me to see what Thailand is and isn't. I didn't make a decision on retiring there based on a few holiday weekends in Pattaya.

4)Another keyboard millionaire, build on land that wasn't even yours, and then stating what a "nice" house you have. You my friend do not have anything, your wife has it all.

Well I have to say, I wish I was a millionaire(I guess somewhere on paper I am but that's just paper). See I am of the opinion one should only invest in Thailand what one is willing to lose(this should be a rule anywhere IMHO). My investment in the house on HER land (since you have a hang up about that) was all OK with me. I completely understand the rules. Now the house is in our name but I do not see that being anything advantageous. She insisted on it. Its just us 2 and if something should happen to her I can stay. See I don't judge my wife by what all the others have posted that had happen to them. People do not come to forums to talk about good things, they come to whinge, bitch piss and moan(just like you). Not all are the scamming undermining cheaters that many men come on and whinge about. In fact I laugh at those guys because they were the ignorant ones.

Btw, now that you are back and comfy in the US, who owns your house and the land?. Hmm. I thought so..A BANK! You own nothing just a bit like Thailand No? However now you have to work to keep the bank happy and your credit rating up or you could lose it all. I do not have to do any of that. All paid in full.

5)You would do best to educate yourself by reading the 10 thousands of posts from people that have retired in Thailand and grew old of it, bored with, divorced from it or 100 other reasons.

Why in the hell would I do that. I do not care what 10,000 people posted on a forum. I am me and live my life for me. I own it. Anyone who can be swayed by others whinging on a Thai forum strike me as pretty weak in their personal make up. While I am not saying there are not things to learn from some of them, most are simply tools that never had a plan, the means or thought it through.

6)Everyone claims to know Thailand pretty well. Ever drive from Chiang Rai to Phuket? How about Phuket to Nong Kai? You do not know Thailand well.

Interestingly, yes I have driven virtually north to south and east to west. After meeting my GF(now wife) we did that trek before coming back to the US. She resigned from her job and we spent appx 2 months messing around. Was a great trip. We left just outside Chiang Mai. The drive out of the mountains was pretty typical but gave me an idea of the North. We stopped at the elephant reserve in Lampang, From there to Ayutthaya was scenic but not much to see. I enjoyed all the road stops and she picked up spices and items to bring to the US. I liked Cha Am, did not care for Hua Hin, I enjoyed Pran Buri, Ao Luk, Krabi. We didn't quite make it into Phuket but I didn't really want to just like I have never been to Pattaya. Just too touristy for my personal taste(btw, I have been to virtually all the islands in case you wondered about that). On the return back we went to Mae Sot to the Burma Border then blew across to Chiang Rai then to her friends house in Korat. We logged a ton of kms on her car(yes I have a Thai drivers license and drove a lot). We flew to Cambodia to Angkor Wat for a week as I always wanted to visit it. See I was not a sit at home type. Every holiday while working I went and saw new places. The North and BKK Thai language was a challenge to understand. I could go on and on but you seem to have judged me like you tell me not to judge you.

7) You have never retired or living Thailand permanently so you have no experience to give anyone on that matter.

Well why does one have to be retired in Thailand to offer advice to others? To me your angst reads like you moved to Thailand,thought it was the "promise land", got pigeon holed away out in Isaan and felt trapped. I get it, you didn't have a plan and it ate you up mentally. You are not alone. You got married, had a child and you got a wake up call. (I could poke a dig at you but won't, I will let it go).Retiring anywhere is tough unless you really think it out. Wait until you retire in the US if you even can, you will likely work until you die like 90% of the population. Now maybe that's what you want to do. Some can't think of a life without work, they are conditioned to it. Wait until your wife has her moments in the states and her rose colored glasses come off. I know my wife had her moments. Its comfy for you to be back but what about your wife? Give it time. The US isn't the "promise land" either

8)To each own. Should read some more posts as their is a growing number that thought Thailand was the promised land, not thinking so much these days.

Do a read on what happened in 1997. Living in the third world? Nothing is ever guarantee

Again, I do not alter my life to whinging posters on a Thai forum(seems you do though). If you do that's your choice but I guarantee you your POV will be extremely jaded. I have never ever thought of Thailand as the "promise land". That's ridiculous. who thinks like that anyway? Anyone considering moving abroad should do their homework, it does not matter to what country. I am clearly aware of Thailand's position and what I can and cannot do and the pro's and con's. Every place has them.

Just another person who has the answers to everything, had been there and done everything, worked for US Corporation in rural Thailand doing God knows what for 2 to 4 years at a time when there is nothing going on in rural Thailand corporate wise.

You didn't build a US house, you built a Thai house in Timbuktoo. Ever try to sell a used house in Thailand? It is a lost investment. Thai's don't want to lose "face" buying a used house.

Wait 10 years and let me know how your house is holding up. Nothing is built to any quality standards in rural Thailand.

Ever see a brick mason in the USA use quarter bricks with an inch gap in between held together with the cement? Look under the raster and that is exactly what you will find. You can pound a chisel right through the outside wall with zero effort.

Do you understand the foundation your house is built on? A couple of pylons at best made with cheap, inferior concrete. Maybe no foundation at all? or the foundation sitting on top of the ground?

No wonder so many condos, apartment buildings, bridges etc. just seem to fall over in Thailand.

Mold, mildew, termites, you name it. Not to mention the smell from all the cooking.

Maybe you don't seem to understand 90% of the posts of this entire forum are unhappy or people looking for answers or help? Are all these posters whining? If Thailand is such a Mecca, you wouldn't think there would be a forum of millions of posts seeking help.

Ubon Joe has answered 38,000 posts mostly about VISA's it seems. Yet you have never lived in Thailand and have it all figured out? Strange.

When you call most of the posters "simply tools" perhaps you should look in the mirror.

Ask one of the experienced "tool" posters what happens to your house if your wife dies before you?

Everyone moving to Thailand already knows it all. That is why we have a forum with millions of posts asking for help.

You are clearly jaded. You can't believe that someone can actually live in Thailand and have a nice life in a nice home with a nice wife. Its beyond your scope because you didn't. You think all foreigners are miserable.

My responsibility was to transfer and establish operations moving mfg to Thailand and sustain it. As for a VISA, my VISA was a B1, when I retire it will be an AO. Simple. done and done. Why do you keep saying I have not lived in Thailand. Is there some sort of passing? I lived there 4 years, off for 1 year, back for 2 off for 2 months, back for 3.

As for the guy responding to 38,000 posts on Visa's, sheese. I have struggled to post 500 times in 5 years. Visas are simple. B1 or AO(there are others I know). Fill out the forms, show the correct credentials and done. I have never ever in all my 10 years ever had an issue with a VISA. Heck even my GF got her tourist Visa to visit the US without any issues. Its complicated for some that either do not understand the requirements or did nothing to look at the requirements. In fact we did all her INS application for her US greencard by ourselves and did not have one issue. Couple more months and she will become a US citizen and have a US Passport.

And Yes I get what forums are all about. Sadly the ones like myself that are not having hundreds of issues or a meltdown are trashed or told that we are outright lying. Misery loves company...right? I suspect you had hoped that all the people would jump on your bandwagon and agree with all your hate of the Thailand and how how great the US is. Well I am not. Thailand, like the US is exactly what the individual makes of it. I post for fun as time allows and to show others that its not as bad as all the whingers come on and trash about. Just like the US. There are things I love about the country I was born and raised in and things I loathe. Same goes for Thailand. I just happen to prefer Thailand at this juncture in my life. Don't try and draw me into your hate because someone else is content and planned it out. Also don't dive into petty stuff about house build quality and garbage on the roadside. Come back with some substance. You make it seem moving back to the US all of that is gone. Who are you kidding! You make it appear that there is no roadside garbage and houses are perfectly built, no termites, no mildew, no plumbing issues. If that was the case why are there entire business segments for construction repairs, plumbing services, termite fumigation, mildew repair, etc etc. And FWIIW our home is built quite well and I designed the plans with my wife. We had a professional general contractor build it (Amazing huh, a professional contractor in Thailand) Yeah they exist. Not every house is built by family members with no skill.

Anyway this is my last response. You are far too defensive to be objective and your responses reflect that. You made a decision to move back and all good. Welcome back and hope all works out as planned. Thailand isn't for everyone. Like you requested of me in 10 years, Do the same for the TV folks. Tell us how its all working out being back...biggrin.png

I think there are happy people who have moved and are living in Thailand.

Some others have legit complaints.

Others, well, they would complain about anything and any place.

It seems there are a large number of these types in Thailand who come here seeking a better life.

But, they would truly not be happy any where.

you think you own more in the USA than in Thailand because you can buy land in America.

guess what? in the USA, you own nothing.

try to not pay your tax in the number 1 country... and next day the government will raid your house at 6 am with an army of US Marshalls with guns and rifles , they will knock your head against toilet bowl, hand cuff you, put you in jail and will explain you who is the real owner in America.

now schmuck , do you think you own a piece of the US land?

you think you own more in the USA than in Thailand because you can buy land in America.

try to not pay your tax in the number 1 country... and next day the government will raid your house at 6 am with an army of US Marshalls with guns and rifles , they will knock your head against toilet bowl, hand cuff you, put you in jail and will explain you who is the real owner in America.

That's a good point. Now that I have given it some thought, I do trust my Thai wife much further than I trust the US government, at least how it is now. I do have about half my liquidity in the US. I don't even trust the US bank and certainly not the stock market. If my wife were to die before me, I wouldn't want to live in the upcountry house anyways. Her family could have it all. I would pack up what I wanted to keep and move back to my condo in the farang ghetto. It is in my name and I bought it before we were married. I'm not fluent in Thai and without my wife, I'd have all sorts of confusion living upcountry. In the farang ghetto, I don't have to speak Thai. Things could change here, but as it is, I'm quite content. I do depend on the US government to pay me back for contributing all my working life into the Social Security program.

@ bwpage3

You are clearly jaded. You can't believe that someone can actually live in Thailand and have a nice life in a nice home with a nice wife. Its beyond your scope because you didn't. You think all foreigners are miserable.

My responsibility was to transfer and establish operations moving mfg to Thailand and sustain it. As for a VISA, my VISA was a B1, when I retire it will be an AO. Simple. done and done. Why do you keep saying I have not lived in Thailand. Is there some sort of passing? I lived there 4 years, off for 1 year, back for 2 off for 2 months, back for 3.

As for the guy responding to 38,000 posts on Visa's, sheese. I have struggled to post 500 times in 5 years. Visas are simple. B1 or AO(there are others I know). Fill out the forms, show the correct credentials and done. I have never ever in all my 10 years ever had an issue with a VISA. Heck even my GF got her tourist Visa to visit the US without any issues. Its complicated for some that either do not understand the requirements or did nothing to look at the requirements. In fact we did all her INS application for her US greencard by ourselves and did not have one issue. Couple more months and she will become a US citizen and have a US Passport.

And Yes I get what forums are all about. Sadly the ones like myself that are not having hundreds of issues or a meltdown are trashed or told that we are outright lying. Misery loves company...right? I suspect you had hoped that all the people would jump on your bandwagon and agree with all your hate of the Thailand and how how great the US is. Well I am not. Thailand, like the US is exactly what the individual makes of it. I post for fun as time allows and to show others that its not as bad as all the whingers come on and trash about. Just like the US. There are things I love about the country I was born and raised in and things I loathe. Same goes for Thailand. I just happen to prefer Thailand at this juncture in my life. Don't try and draw me into your hate because someone else is content and planned it out. Also don't dive into petty stuff about house build quality and garbage on the roadside. Come back with some substance. You make it seem moving back to the US all of that is gone. Who are you kidding! You make it appear that there is no roadside garbage and houses are perfectly built, no termites, no mildew, no plumbing issues. If that was the case why are there entire business segments for construction repairs, plumbing services, termite fumigation, mildew repair, etc etc. And FWIIW our home is built quite well and I designed the plans with my wife. We had a professional general contractor build it (Amazing huh, a professional contractor in Thailand) Yeah they exist. Not every house is built by family members with no skill.

Anyway this is my last response. You are far too defensive to be objective and your responses reflect that. You made a decision to move back and all good. Welcome back and hope all works out as planned. Thailand isn't for everyone. Like you requested of me in 10 years, Do the same for the TV folks. Tell us how its all working out being back...biggrin.png

You have an answer for everything.

Professional contractors is Thailand is the biggest laugh I have ever heard.

You must not read the news with all the condos, apartments, bridges, etc. built by "professional contractors" falling down

You are just not being truthful and trying to ridiculously defend your non-truths.

Good luck if your passes before you, then you won't have any house to worry about.

You have some serious phobia there friend.

Do you follow the laws in Thailand?

From the sounds of it probably not.

Try dealing with facts.

What happens if you work in Thailand and get caught not paying taxes or get caught without a work permit?

You can "what if" yourself to death.

In the USA most law abiding working class citizens pay tax.

Do I own a piece of land? Yes I do.

Do I pay tax? Yes I do. Uncle Sam takes it out of the ole paycheck before I even see it.

Are the Marshall's kicking down the door?

No they are not.

Is my head being bashed into the toilet?

No it is not.

Get yourself some help. The sky is not falling and no one is coming to kick the door down.

Your post makes you the schmuck, schmuck.

That's a good point. Now that I have given it some thought, I do trust my Thai wife much further than I trust the US government, at least how it is now. I do have about half my liquidity in the US. I don't even trust the US bank and certainly not the stock market. If my wife were to die before me, I wouldn't want to live in the upcountry house anyways. Her family could have it all. I would pack up what I wanted to keep and move back to my condo in the farang ghetto. It is in my name and I bought it before we were married. I'm not fluent in Thai and without my wife, I'd have all sorts of confusion living upcountry. In the farang ghetto, I don't have to speak Thai. Things could change here, but as it is, I'm quite content. I do depend on the US government to pay me back for contributing all my working life into the Social Security program.

One of your previous posts about living in Thailand you stated you never lived in the "Farang Ghetto" i.e. the city, always outside.

Now all of a sudden, you own a condo in the farang ghetto.

Doing business outside 1 year, 2 years, whatever.

That is the problem with telling stories.

Eventually you wind yourself up forgetting which story you told.

Spare us please already busted

I think you better re-read what I have posted. I have had that condo in Jomtien for probably 12 years. I now live upcountry in the boonies. I also lived in Bangkok for quite a few years. I would guess that you have confused me with someone else or that you fail to comprehend what I have written. You owe me an apology.

I left Thailand 30 years ago after having lived there two years, and I sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if I had stayed on. I suppose that is why I frequent this forum. I by no means regret the decision to leave Thailand to return home to start a new career. My life turned out pretty good on the whole. Still, I like to visit Thailand from time to time and maybe one day I might return for an extended stay.

@ bwpage3

You must not read the news with all the condos, apartments, bridges, etc. built by "professional contractors" falling down

You are just not being truthful and trying to ridiculously defend your non-truths.

Good luck if your passes before you, then you won't have any house to worry about.

I have met many professionals foreigners here over my working life. Auditors, legal representatives, tax advisors , business consultants, technical consultants, teachers, managers, cfo's ,FIFO - geologists, drillers, divers, all others who are " professional" . All worked for international firms , all earned more money than you realise..all have made real good quality of lives here, educated their children here, wives ( a mixed bunch).

Why does everyone think there can't be professionals here...Thailand and Asia boomed through the 80, 90 and 2000's the locals just didn't have the skills to do certain jobs then, now they do..it was a place to make a killing at that time with a fantastic lifestyle and low taxes.

Stop twittering on about just houses..very myopic.

Cracks me up when bragging about model wives in Thailand when they can be bought for 2k baht for high end and perform on demand without the high maintenance issue

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

It cracked me up also when I read your comment.

You're a little deluded there old mate but whatever floats your boat.

I'm open minded and always willing to learn but cant see your message. Whats delusional ? Now lets keep it in perspective, we are talking Asia right? and not some blond haired blue eyed goddess from the west? now getting that does take talent..

Huawei,

You're on the money but for near all on this forum, they're "just" staying in Thailand.

There are many who have done well here, it's just you won't find many commenting on this forum.....they have better things to do, as have I.

Better things to do ? LOL.

You have been a member just over 24 hours, 6 posts to date.

I think we could well see quite a few more posts from you in the near future.

What have you contributed here except troling how USA is great?

But America is great, I would live there if I was American.

I'd have a trailer with my bicycles on the back, Florida in winter, Oregon in the summer.

I wouldn't live in Canada ..... too cold and wet ...... but OK for ski-ing.

Last time in the US I priced out a F250 4x4 and a 25ft Airstream… motorcycle, mtb and kayak on the truck, live in southern arizona feb-may for excellent mtb'ing and june-sept in the pacific northwest for great kayaking and motorcycling and the rest in spain or wherever.

I need to stop being so lazy and make it happen... I've become so lazy here...555

Anyway, thanks for this post, it's inspirational and confirming.

I wish you all the best in the USA, you'll need it all the luck you can get there. As previously mentioned Thailand may not be perfect but, it nearly is, cheap prices, petrol, condo and houses by the sea, on top of all this, endless amount of pretty girls. Did you know that Thailand has been classified by the BBC to be in the 7th place in the world for a place to retire to?

Anyway, there is no way I'll contribute to the USA with my money, they only spend it on killing innocent people and armaments.

The army rules and the Federal Reserve rules in the USA, not presidents. (although even they do have some say)

Hi all

I do respect all of you that no other place to live ...same as me ..but why complaining and comparing ???? I do not understand ...no place to go ...so adjust and love the place that provide you with home food and other amenities .... and develop ....Thailand has many many opportunities to develop new business or new ideas .... so please be happy and give to others waht you know best ......your knowledge .... no money just your love and knoledge for other people future ......

Just wondering ....about your future and peace of mind ....

I learn and adjust ...now I am happy and in peace with myself ...

Sorry just wondering and sharing my feelings

Have a G'day ....

you don't own anything unless you pay your 18 trillions debt which is impossible to pay back. you don't own even your freedom (tax based on citizenship)

owning something doesn't exist. it's a social concept invented by banksters.

you own your house? most people don't own anything. only debts debts and debts.

the only thing you own is your body and your soul with your skills . even this is not guaranteed.

you don't own anything unless you pay your 18 trillions debt which is impossible to pay back. you don't own even your freedom (tax based on citizenship)

the only thing you own is your body and your soul with your skills . even this is not guaranteed.

Actually, you are not entirely true.

Borrowing builds equity.

I own 4 properties city fringe and CBD and have rock solid financials on the ASX.

For most here as previously stated, just "live" here; not having enough money so choice is limited. Many will be forking out eroded cash for their "buys" (US exempt).

A downturn in world economies makes for holidays for people with blue chip investments.

Just came back from Maldives with my former swimsuit model wife, mountains out of Chiang Rai on Wednesday for a week, an untouched southern island mid Feb, Europe in May, Great Barrier Reef and Nepal in the 2nd 1/2 of the year.

Oh, just in case you're wondering, my wife is independently financially secure and it's truly bloody wonderful knowing there is unconditional love and trust. I speak the language and genuinely love her family to bits also.

I'm retired at 45, my wife 38, has a business and I do love living here.....but it really takes effort to make it go your way; same in all of life.

MMF: You sent me this PM and for the life of me I have no clue what you're going on about.

"Well, it didn't work out for you. It does work out for thousands though. Enough said.

Ho, almost forgot, good luck with the miserable weather, high price petrol, expensive restaurants, Huge amount of speed cameras, Expensive home running cost. You got the the idea by now, I'm sure. So, good luck to you, Say hi to her Majesty."

You also quoted 3 other comments here without so much as a word.

What's up?

What have you contributed here except troling how USA is great?

But America is great, I would live there if I was American.
I'd have a trailer with my bicycles on the back, Florida in winter, Oregon in the summer.
I wouldn't live in Canada ..... too cold and wet ...... but OK for ski-ing.

Last time in the US I priced out a F250 4x4 and a 25ft Airstream… motorcycle, mtb and kayak on the truck, live in southern arizona feb-may for excellent mtb'ing and june-sept in the pacific northwest for great kayaking and motorcycling and the rest in spain or wherever.

I need to stop being so lazy and make it happen... I've become so lazy here...555

Anyway, thanks for this post, it's inspirational and confirming.

Actually, you are not entirely true.

Borrowing builds equity.

I own 4 properties city fringe and CBD and have rock solid financials on the ASX.

For most here as previously stated, just "live" here; not having enough money so choice is limited. Many will be forking out eroded cash for their "buys" (US exempt).

A downturn in world economies makes for holidays for people with blue chip investments.

Just came back from Maldives with my former swimsuit model wife, mountains out of Chiang Rai on Wednesday for a week, an untouched southern island mid Feb, Europe in May, Great Barrier Reef and Nepal in the 2nd 1/2 of the year.

Oh, just in case you're wondering, my wife is independently financially secure and it's truly bloody wonderful knowing there is unconditional love and trust. I speak the language and genuinely love her family to bits also.

I'm retired at 45, my wife 38, has a business and I do love living here.....but it really takes effort to make it go your way; same in all of life.

Sounds foxy to me.

Boy, talk about nonsense and "non-truths." It's absurd for you to suggest that "all the condos, apartments, bridges, etc. built by "professional contractors" (are) falling down"....it's just not true. If they're "falling down" right and left, it'd be in the news everyday. But even after earthquakes, most of these structures have held up pretty well. So you're just making up lies to support your biased claims. Shameful.

Cracks me up when bragging about model wives in Thailand when they can be bought for 2k baht for high end and perform on demand without the high maintenance issue

I'm open minded and always willing to learn but cant see your message. Whats delusional ? Now lets keep it in perspective, we are talking Asia right? and not some blond haired blue eyed goddess from the west? now getting that does take talent..

Nope, same price, imports from Russia and the Stans.

Nope, same price, imports from Russia and the Stans.

these are grey imports! laugh.png

I have a good friend who lives in Florida. He is out of my league as far as having money. His home was valued at more than a million dollars but he says that now he would be lucky to get 600,000. His taxes and home insurance are paid by the bank because it is included in his mortgage payment. Just the insurance and taxes are about 1,600 dollars per month. I live upcountry here in Thailand and I live on quite a bit less than that 1,600 dollars. He visits Thailand normally once a year and considered moving here but he is trapped in Florida because of his house. Since he is quite well off, the house payments including taxes and insurance are comfortably within his means. I worked and lived in Florida for about three years. At that time I owned and lived in a condo. I paid 275 dollars a month for maintenance. I have a condo in Jomtien and it is about the same size as the Florida condo. My monthly maintenance for the Jomtien condo is 600 baht per month (about 17 dollars). I'm happy to live here upcountry and use my Jomtien condo when I want a change of scenery.

Archived