A National Anthem for England at last?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think one that's actually in English would be more fitting.

There was a good Radio 4 prog on "global English" - lot's of people doing mad versions of Shakespeare and refusing to concede that theirs was any less an authentic version than any other.

If you wanted to really hack everyone off, and make a political point, you could set something from the Anglo-Saxon chronicles to music. Make it surreal by choosing Beethoven's NInth - Ode to Joy - as the music. laugh.png

Did for 56 years seen it go down hill steadily try Bradford/Keighley/oldham/Rochdale spot the white man so please don't try to tell me it's not as bad as people say. Pakistani pedophiles rings all over the north west praying on white girls sharia law openly practised in Bradford so please no lectures. I'm just glad I'm out of it it's only going to get worse

So you don't live in the UK. Your ignorance is showing; you obviously get your opinions of life in the UK from sites like Gatestone.

But this is a topic about an English national anthem.

If you want to air your ignorance on life in the UK further, there's a topic in Outside the box where you can do so. I'll be happy to educate you there.

I watch the news, and read the newspapers daily.

I have 6 siblings still living there, as well as numerous friends, all of whom would move away tomorrow, if they could afford it.

So they, and the media, are wrong with their perception of the way the country is going ?

Perhaps an upping in the standard of newspaper. Might be advisable. And tbh the main stream MAIN considerations are not to inform you off what is going on but to make sure their story is attention grabbing and avoids legal action.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did for 56 years seen it go down hill steadily try Bradford/Keighley/oldham/Rochdale spot the white man so please don't try to tell me it's not as bad as people say. Pakistani pedophiles rings all over the north west praying on white girls sharia law openly practised in Bradford so please no lectures. I'm just glad I'm out of it it's only going to get worse

So you don't live in the UK. Your ignorance is showing; you obviously get your opinions of life in the UK from sites like Gatestone.

If you want to air your ignorance on life in the UK further, there's a topic in Outside the box where you can do so. I'll be happy to educate you there.

I have 6 siblings still living there, as well as numerous friends, all of whom would move away tomorrow, if they could afford it.

So they, and the media, are wrong with their perception of the way the co

Myuntry is going ?

Perhaps an upping in the standard of newspaper. Might be advisable. And tbh the main stream MAIN considerations are not to inform you off what is going on but to make sure their story is attention grabbing and avoids legal action.

My family and friends have no reason to tell me lies.

It's about time you took your patriotic goggles off, and became realistic.

Edited by thaiduncankk

(Cut-and-shut for convenience)

Is there for honest Poverty
That hings his head, an' a' that;
The coward slave-we pass him by,
We dare be poor for a' that!
For a' that, an' a' that.
Our toils obscure an' a' that,
The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The Man's the gowd for a' that.

'An' all that'?

We'd have to opt for something by Chas n Dave :)

(Cut-and-shut for convenience)

Is there for honest Poverty
That hings his head, an' a' that;
The coward slave-we pass him by,
We dare be poor for a' that!
For a' that, an' a' that.
Our toils obscure an' a' that,
The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The Man's the gowd for a' that.

'An' all that'?

We'd have to opt for something by Chas n Dave smile.png

Imagine trying to coordinate "rabbit, rabbit, bunny, jabber" etc across Twickenham.

Something with a tune that can't be buggered up is vital. Lili Marlene or Men of Harlech (of Zulu/Michael Caine fame).

Take the latter -

Men of England stop your dreaming

Half of you are ******g steaming

Pay attention, drunken beaming

Goodwill all around

North, South, East, West tolerate

Treat even scousers as a mate

Accept that you will salivate

When vindaloo's proposed

Curry's English and so's tea

Live here and you too will see

England's careworn dignity

Is really rather fine

[Ach, you've got Scots writing you anthems laugh.png ]

So anyway, did Donald ever find his troosers?

Let the wind blow high, let the wind blow low

In Thailand flat on ma' erse I'll fa'

7-11 rum's mighty braw

Two pound for a pint!

Reelin' roon Lumpini park

Boakin' loudly efter dark

Sterotypin's such a lark

Scotsmen on a tour!

Wee smilin' polis cries, "Ho, you"

He could parliamo Glesca too

An' he made me clean up aw my spew

An' me too drunk to care!

The girlfriend smelled the acid crust

An' I could see that a' was bust

That i'd abused the lovin' trust

Of ma' East Asian babe!

But lo behold she knew the score

Her faither was a drunken bore

An' ma' soaked keks were nothing more

Than Friday night at hame!

[There ye are!]

Jerusalem? no never never

Its a religious song that most people that are stirred by it at sporting events, are probably atheists anyway.

Get Sir Paul McCartney to write something new

World has had enough religion lets not have another song about it

Great idea mate, am sure that dyed haired tossa McCartney could come up with another gem like the Frog Song!

OK if not him, what about the song writers for One Direction? their tunes are catchy

So they, and the media, are wrong with their perception of the way the co

Myuntry is going ?

My family and friends have no reason to tell me lies.

It's about time you took your patriotic goggles off, and became realistic.

Not lies but inaccurate sounds appropriate. And me patriotic... I don't think so.

Yup know, it's a funny thing, but most of the inhabitants of Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield etc are English just as I am. They may have immigration in their recent history but then if we go back a bit further then so do I and many others. England is not swamped with immigrants but is certainly enriched both culturally and financially by them.

Anyway, I have lived all my life with God Save the Queen and see no reason to change it.

Yup know, it's a funny thing, but most of the inhabitants of Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield etc are English just as I am. They may have immigration in their recent history but then if we go back a bit further then so do I and many others. England is not swamped with immigrants but is certainly enriched both culturally and financially by them.

Anyway, I have lived all my life with God Save the Queen and see no reason to change it.

Words spring to mind coffee. Bacon. Wake up. Smell.

Absolutely. Some of Britain's greatest people are immigrants, or the offspring of immigrants. Some of my very best friends also. The country wouldn't be half the place it is now without them.

England has an Anthem, God Save the Queen. Just because we are glorious rulers of foreign lands such as Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and have thus imposed our anthem on them, it doesn't mean that it isn't the English National Anthem.

Having said that, its a shit anthem.

England has an Anthem, God Save the Queen. Just because we are glorious rulers of foreign lands such as Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and have thus imposed our anthem on them, it doesn't mean that it isn't the English National Anthem.

It's a dirge. Whatever you think of France, the anthem's brilliant. The Star Spangled Banner is pretty cool as well, although you need to be able to sing to stop that last "brave" going flat.

It's a dirge. Whatever you think of France, the anthem's brilliant. The Star Spangled Banner is pretty cool as well, although you need to be able to sing to stop that last "brave" going flat.

The French got a good one there and the Russian one is not bad either. Maybe we could do a swap?

The French got a good one there and the Russian one is not bad either. Maybe we could do a swap?

The French anthem tune is quite good, but told by a French lady that the words are about marching and raping, maybe someone could clarify this. Not a lot of young people today seem very loyal to England anymore, maybe a song like Vindaloo would be a good anthem, certainly go down well at sports events.

The French anthem tune is quite good, but told by a French lady that the words are about marching and raping, maybe someone could clarify this.

La Marseillaise in English.

Many years ago, after an experience in a rural French bar with very primitive facilities, me and my caving mates would sing a different version:

A Frenchman went to the lavatory

For to have a jolly good s***.

He took his jacket and trousers off,

then he got down to it.

But when he'd finished his business

An anguished cry rent the air:

"Où est le papier!

"Où est le papier!

"Garçon, Garçon,

"Le papier est gone!

"Où est le papier!"