Long term farang - too much cheap charlie?

CLW

Hello everyone,

I would like to share this story with you.

A few weeks ago I went to a trip to Rayong with some friends. We are all students (permanent + exchange).

So that night we looked for a restaurant for dinner. Found a pretty nice place on the main road.

Lots of thai customer, good menu, price well posted so no farang rip-off.

Rice with various toppings 60 THB, vegetarian 50 THB, extra egg 10 THB, big portions.

As we were sitting down, one girl (from France, permanent student) said she won't eat here because it's too expensive.

In her Soi meals like this cost only 35 THB so we tried to convince her it is NOT expensive for a place like this.

Finally she did eat with us but not very comfortable.

The next day, we went to have lunch at a seaside restaurant with fresh fish, crab and shrimp. Not expensive for Thai restaurants.

The same girl, after we decided to have 1 beer each after eating, she said the beer here is too expensive (big bottle 110 THB)for her and she will go to the

next 7-11 to buy her beer there.

So to be honest, 60 THB, that's 1,50€, where do you get a complete meal, including water, in France or Europe?

Are some of the Farangs staying here long term becoming a little bit cheap charlie too much?

BTW: The same girl also doing hitchhiking and couchsurfing in Thailand and Myanmar to save travel costs....

Hello everyone,

I would like to share this story with you.

A few weeks ago I went to a trip to Rayong with some friends. We are all students (permanent + exchange).

So that night we looked for a restaurant for dinner. Found a pretty nice place on the main road.

Lots of thai customer, good menu, price well posted so no farang rip-off.

Rice with various toppings 60 THB, vegetarian 50 THB, extra egg 10 THB, big portions.

As we were sitting down, one girl (from France, permanent student) said she won't eat here because it's too expensive.

In her Soi meals like this cost only 35 THB so we tried to convince her it is NOT expensive for a place like this.

Finally she did eat with us but not very comfortable.

The next day, we went to have lunch at a seaside restaurant with fresh fish, crab and shrimp. Not expensive for Thai restaurants.

The same girl, after we decided to have 1 beer each after eating, she said the beer here is too expensive (big bottle 110 THB)for her and she will go to the

next 7-11 to buy her beer there.

So to be honest, 60 THB, that's 1,50€, where do you get a complete meal, including water, in France or Europe?

Are some of the Farangs staying here long term becoming a little bit cheap charlie too much?

BTW: The same girl also doing hitchhiking and couchsurfing in Thailand and Myanmar to save travel costs....

Happy new year to you and your friends! Now get a life, spend some time in Thailand before you start your BS!

Maybe she could have taught you something if you would listen to her.

I remember Thailand before people tipped. Thais never tipped and foreigners didnot have to either.But 2 week millionaires,tipped to look like bigshots.I told them not to do it but they knew better. Ya right. Thais got used to it now service has declined but they stand there with their hand out and ask for a tip now.

I see her point. You were paying just about double to the going prices but you were ok with it. Keep that up and the going price will be the double price.the only way to keep prices down is to talk with your feet. Go somewhere that is not over priced and let the overpriced guys go under.

A fool and his money are some parted.

Edited by lovelomsak

I know people like this. They should really make a habit of saying "Im broke/poor" versus calling a $2 meal or a $3 beer "expensive".

Weeeeeell,

I'm not sure I want to pay 60bht for a meal, when I can get the same meal for 35bht.

And I'm not really wanting to pay 120bht for beer, when I know many bars that charge 200bht for 4 large.

Really what the lady needs to do, is find people to hang out with that are more her sort.

When it's you that always wants to do something different to your friends, you need to find new friends.

Completely off topic, but in a cheap Charlie sort of way.

In CM KFC O-burger at KSK 65bht, KFC O-burger at Central Festival 45bht.

How does that work?

Especially as KSK is a run down dump, and Central Festival is brand new and shiny.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

It's all about location. I can get a big beer for 55 baht if I'm willing to drink on the front porch of 7-11. But I'd rather pay 100 baht and sit in a nice bar.

Maybe it is different in BKK but in CM, by drinking in really nice garden style Thai bars with live music, you can easily get 3 or 4 large beers for 200 baht. One such venue actually has promotions some nights 3 large Chang for 100 baht! Very few non Thai seem to go to these places though.

Are you drinking in Western bars?

Edited by rogeroc

110 Baht for big bottle? That is a rip off. Sensible girl knows her stuff.

Even when at the bar watching football we only pay 80 Baht. Normal restaurant 60 Baht. In Pattaya too.

I read this and just think that the bars/restaurants with 80 or 60 THB big bottles are cheap charlie places. They buy a bottle for 55 - 70 THB in makro, so why they shouldn't add 20-40 THB?

Man, if I order a Suhsi in Germany and add a 0,5 coke I am paying like 150 THB for it while they buy it for 30 THB.

I'd rather sit in a restaurant that sells beer for 110 THB to all it's customers with a price list publicly displayed than in a place where it sells for 80 THB but not for all.

I know the type you mean....very direct....they say whatever they are thinking....complete opposite to thai system....theyre about to discover a world of unhappiness here....hope she doesnt get into a fracas before her time here is up.

I read this and just think that the bars/restaurants with 80 or 60 THB big bottles are cheap charlie places. They buy a bottle for 55 - 70 THB in makro, so why they shouldn't add 20-40 THB?

to all it's customers with a price list publicly displayed than in a place where it sells for 80 THB but not for all.

Direct from the beer distributor ..... 30-40bht a bottle.

And if they sell enough, a free serving girl in a beer dress.

Serious bars don't buy from Makro.