Buy or rent for 6 months

nb1984

Hi all,

I'm living in Bangkok for at least 6 months and wondering whether it'd be better to rent a scooter/bike or just buy a second hand one from a rental agency. After reading the posts it seems like it may be more hassle than it's worth to buy one as opposed to getting a cheap monthly rental but I'm looking for something to drive fairly long distances (weekend trips to Issan or part of the way down south) so imagine this'll throttle the bike by the time I'm finished with it. My friend suggests getting a bike from Ho Chi Minh for a cheap price and driving it back but there seem to be various problems with bikes from other countries and the books.

With your experience what do you reckon would be the best avenue to take?

Thanks,

Thanks Lovelomsak! I think that's what I'm edging towards if I'm honest. I'm probably not an endurance freak but an overly ambitious! I'm intending to do a lot of roadtrips from bkk but will have to see how far I get - should have about 4 days at a time for an adventure although imagine I'll need a new pair of buttocks once I'm done!1

How much will it cost to rent a scooter for a month? 2500b?

So in 6 months that would be 15,000B. If you buy a 2nd hand scooter for around the same amount, in 6 months you could probably sell it for around the same price.

So just save some money and buy a cheap 2nd hand scooter. If you really can't sell it then you've lost nothing.

Have you ever ridden a scooter long distance before? I'm a very experienced rider meaning it's less work for me than it would be for a novice. I once rode a big bike in 100 F (38 C) weather for ten hours straight. It took me two days to recover from the wind/sun/noise and vibration. I was surprised that I was exhausted. I'm not sure I could have gone very far the second day.

Oh, and I did have some chafing and rash on the insides of my thighs from the seat, and it was a high end Mustang brand touring seat. I was wearing jeans too, not shorts. Never again.

Can you rent a car? At least Hertz and Avis rent cars at most of the major airports in LOS. I rented one for 6 months but I can't recall what it cost. You can find out and even reserve online.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

You can buy a decent ( less than 2 years old ) 110cc for 15k.

Are you going to be based in BKK ? If you look down Ramkamhaeng road, along the road around Big C you will see a few auction places.

Often worth asking at your local taxi stand to see if they know somewhere.

Hell !! Scooter touring is way hipster.

Issan isn't a bad ride if you avoid the khao yai road and head out on the Si saket/surin roads. Coming south, will take you a few days but you will have some good times - The petkasem road could be a little dangerous at times mind.

Get yourself a RAM mount and use google maps to guide and the worlds your oyster. It's worthwhile getting some throw over panniers as the weight on your back is really annoying after a day.

If the bike goes wrong you can fix it anywhere, tyres and tubes are nothing.

I have never sold one of the wife's scooters and made a profit but I have never lost more than 5K, but you will get a clean bike for the money you spend on rental and have something to sell. Working out how to register a bike isn't hard and an experience.

PS you can't buy a bike in HMC and ride it back here - you could, even if you got it in the country it would but attract attention from police - just better to be legal here ( and get a license too )

I had a big bike when I lived in Bangkok and ended up spending most of my time going to Hua Hin and Cha Am, instead of Pattaya.

Since you can't take motorcycles on the expressway the 105+ intersections on Sukumvit from central Bangkok to Bang Na where I could get under the expressway was just too much of a PITA

Scooter touring in Thailand is a nice concept but you only need to spend 1 hour on the saddle of a Fino or similar at 60+KPH to realize the seat, tires nor suspension is suitable OR safe.

I've done mot of Thailand on a 300cc Honda Forza with the very best "big arse" falang seat and suspension available and it lost all the initial appeal after 2-3 days.

Suggestion, why not fly or bus to a central locations and rent a bike there to do the local touring?

Licence, insurance, break down is then not you concern

Go for it ! !

Go to a dealer or auction and get a 2nd-hand Wave repo or something,

You will need a Certificate of Residency or Work/ed permit

[see archives]

but dealer will handle all paperwork easy-peasy.

[theoretically].

Get a drivers license.

[see archives]

You will have the time of your life,

if you can survive unmolested.

Get one of those mesh ventilating seat covers.

I am on the side of the buyers.

Honda Wave, five or so years old.

They run forever, can be fixed everywhere, easy to sell and comfortable for chugging along at 70 kms/hr for five hours or more. As an added bonus you can get two boxes of large beers between the legs.

Forget buying in Saigon.

Buy second hand. Look at bikes from the rental companies and from the on line and news

paper classified sections. If you spend around 20- 25 k you will not spend more than renting

and can sell or give the bike away when you leave. rolleyes.gif

I rode motorcycles for most of my adult life. That comes down to 45 years. In the stables, presently: a BMW 1100 GS, a honda PCX 150, and a Honda click 125.

For a trip like this I could really go with a Honda 4- gear, 125 cc., it appeals to me in terms of durability, repairability, cheapness in maintenance, and the overall concept of it.

As far as painful <deleted> are concerned: VERY much dependent on (your) age and weight, and moving around on the saddle does really help a lot!

Cutting to the chase: If you really want to explore Thailand, buy yourself a 2nd hand Honda, with gears. They will NEVER die, cheap to maintain, and get you everywhere. Selling it should not be hard.

Best of luck!

I would buy if you are going to get the use out of it. Buy a second hand Honda Wave or Yamaha Spark. They go forever and you wont lose much money when you sell. If you buy for say 15,000 and sell for 12,000 or even 10,000 if you are in a hurry.

I did Khon Kaen to Chaing Mai recently on a 115 Spark. Had a great time, just took it easy over two days. It was worth the sore ass..........

Buy one second hand for 15k baht, you can sell it for half that easily in 6 months and it's still cheaper than renting.

Or maybe you'll decide to stay longer. I was in exactly your situation 9 years ago (planning a short term stay, couldn't decide to buy or rent). I decided to buy and 9 years later I'm still here and still own the bike and it still runs great smile.png .

While I don't know the OP's age or fitness level, I'd suggest 200 km in a day is maximum for a scooter. Apart from the fact it is tiring, hard on the back etc., the fact is one moment's lapse in concentration can be fatal on Thai roads. I've done the Chiang Rai - Mae Sai - Fang- Thaton - Mae Chan - Chiang Rai loop on a scooter, and it was no picnic.

Bear in mind in the hills a scooter won't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I'd suggest a bigger bike or a car for more range. You can hire a Honda City for 800 baht a day in Chiang Mai, don't know the rates for Bangkok.

If the OP goes in low season, good accommodation is very cheap and he could conceivably move from city to city through the Isaan area on a scooter.

Rent or buy? For that length of time, I'd spend a bit extra and get a scooter with less than 10K on the odometer, about 20 - 25K baht. Resale wouldn't lose much value.

There are some weird answers here ..

Buy back schemes, really ?? There are more Honda waves than people in this country. I buy my bikes from a guy that handles part-ex bikes - Honda pay peanuts for them, can't process them, so knock them on to the second hand shop.

Don't buy second hand ??

The wave/dream/cub is one of the best, bullet proof engines in the world .. Proven over many years and continents - anyone can fix it, parts are cheap.

The one good bit of info is .. But a 125cc, it will give you more power to get about on.

Just buy something second hand - you can't go wrong ( unless it's been stolen )

Buy a new Honda 500 for 220k.....drive it wherever you want. Cross borders, whatever. Then sell it. Some dealers will even tell you they will buy them back.But I think selling one private party would be easy.