Planning to live well in Chiang Mai

Lewthetraveler

My future plans are to travel most of the time with a changing fixed base in different areas of the world.

I plan on Thailand (probably Chiang Mai) as my fixed base for travel in Asia because I am reasonably familiar with Thailand and I can get anything I need there.

Then I would travel for the length of a visitor's visa in each of the adjacent countries (China, India, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia), returning to Thailand to rest up and restock.

I plan on visa exempt entries for each return to Thailand but keeping a room/apartment for as long as this all will take.

Is there anything about apartment rental in Thailand, repeated visa-exempt entry, etc. that I have misunderstood and will keep this plan from working?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Lewthetraveler

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a limit to tourist visas. You could be turned away at immigration on one of your return trips id you do not have a legitimate reason for being here. Government is cracking down on serial tourists. Unless you are legally working or retired with proper visa, don't expect to be allowed in and out too many times.

Also it could be difficult to open a bank account and perhaps rent long-term without a long-term visa. Your plan for using Chiang Mai as "home base" to explore the neighboring countries is good -- if you have a longer-term visa for Thailand. If over age 50, then a O-A retirement visa would be best. If under age 50 consider the Thai Elite visa -- yes, it's a little pricey at 500,000 baht, but it's good for 5 years and you get all sorts of concierge services. It's a visa aimed at a frequent traveler, which sounds like you plan to be.

That 30 day stamp isn't a visa-on-arrival, it's a visa exempt entry and the Immigration officials at the airports get rather testy if you collect more than six of them in your passport within a year.

Best to have a long-term visa if you plan to live long-term in Thailand.

I see no problem with your plan if your visits to foreign countries are over a month. As for renting an apartment. Pay a year ahead and should be no problem. For a bank account you may have to shop around. It seems that many of them do not have a firm policy in fact they may differ from branch to branch.

How ever it works out you have a good plan.

Good luck with it.

thanks john,

I am hoping not to need an in-country bank account as it seems more trouble than its worth.

The exception is that I may need local bank account for rent payments and, in that case, I'll do what I have to do and fund it with wire transfer from US.

My intent is to use a low fee credit card for all travel expenses but that can be figured out when the time arises.

I am hoping not to need an in-country bank account as it seems more trouble than its worth.

Makes things easier. Alot of bills can be paid at the ATM with a local bank card. You can transfer funds from home in large sums and save from alot of exchange fees. I only transfer enough money that I need for a month which helps me stay within my budget. Not much trouble connected with it at all.

Edited by Rob13

No bank account.. No visa.. Seems more just casual visiting than living in the sense of any settling..

Some things just make life easier.. even if your travelling (eg your water or electric bills come, have to be paid or you get cut off, without a bank account you cant have them auto debited, now you need to pay someone to pay your bills.. All just snowballs).

Based on the bills issue alone (which I hadn't really considered), I will probably get a Thai bank account as per Rob13.

I haven't decided where I will end up on a semi-permanent basis; perhaps somewhere I haven't been yet.

I do want time to see the more out-of-the-way places that I haven't visited like the further north places in Laos and Myanmar and the North-east parts of India.

Chiang Mai seems attractive, good restaurants, good medical care, lots of activity.

Cost of living is not exorbitant and weather seems more tolerable than BKK.

Is Merril Lynch Intl used by anyone here?

I have several Thai bank accounts and I got a few of them before I got married on various visas, including tourists visas. I've never really had Thai friends but if you're buying a condo or gold or something big like that the seller or agent will gladly take you down to their bank and introduce you. The key is being introduced by a Thai. Maybe you could ask your landlord to help you with that. They'd be motivated if you signed a one-year contract. One caveat--my info is several years old.

Edit: I might help if you start things off with a sizeable deposit because we know banks like money.

Edited by Somnambulist

Merril Lynch nickel and dimed me for everything. And because it was before the internet I had to go through my 'personal' banker everytime I wanted to move money out of an ML account.And he would drag his feet,. I finally closed the acct which took months and calls to the State's Att. Generals office. They're there for themselves only. Fast to take the money and slow to let go of it.

If you're from the states look into Capital One. I started using their 360 account a few months ago for travel/spendng money. All online,no paper, very low fees. I don't think they are charging me for Intl transactions. The Thai bank charges me 200 baht,but nothing has showed up on the CapOne account. Whoever you use be sure to tell them your travel plans, Thailand is on a banking watch list and if you don't alert the bank they could cancel your card.

Edited by Rob13

Hi Lew -

I recently ran into an issue with my bank in USA - they could not wire money for me w/o me being present. They do know me and we have done this easily in the past. I was able to get around it because they could wire money from the investment account that I have with them… I do have a debit card with them too and that works fine…

Best is to at least speak with the bank manager at your branch of whatever bank and let them know where you will be - also, be sure to alert your credit card company so they can expect overseas charges…

Good luck and happy trails...

I have several Thai bank accounts and I got a few of them before I got married on various visas, including tourists visas. I've never really had Thai friends but if you're buying a condo or gold or something big like that the seller or agent will gladly take you down to their bank and introduce you. The key is being introduced by a Thai. Maybe you could ask your landlord to help you with that. They'd be motivated if you signed a one-year contract. One caveat--my info is several years old.

Edit: I might help if you start things off with a sizeable deposit because we know banks like money.

Thai banks do want a local person know to them serving as a personal reference, but that personal reference doesn't have to be a Thai person. When we opened our accounts at Bangkok Bank, we told them the names of an American couple who banked there and lived across the hall from us. They weren't even with us at the bank. Probably helped that we brought $10.000 U.S. in cash to open the account. No further reference was needed.

Since then, I've taken numerous other foreigners to the same bank to introduce them and answer questions they may have while opening their accounts. And I've served as the "guaranteer" on several occasions when people are claiming an inheritance. There is a myth that this has to be a Thai person, too. No, just someone known to the bank as being reputable, with a hefty balance at the bank.

So, OP, don't fret if you can't find a "Thai person" to serve as a reference to open a bank account. If you're known to a foreigner who has ties in the community, then that person can serve as a reference as well.

I use xendpay for low fee money transfers from a UK bank to Thai account.

All I needed for a Bangkok Bank account was my passport, the tenancy contract (proof of address in thailand) and some cash to deposit 20,000 baht. This was at branch in Kad central.

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect!

I have been using ML the past 5 years or so and no problems moving money over here. Good relationship with my banker. My bank wire is usually 2 to 3 days via an email to him. Regarding my visa/atm card, I can use my card over here for 6 months at a time if notified and then same process. As to ATM withdrawals, that is automatically blocked unless I contact ML by phone for a specific date/time to do a withdrawal. Repeated fraud practices caused this policy to be put in place.

Pretty happy with ML services overseas.....

CB

There is no such thing as "visa exempt entries" to Thailand. Everyone needs a visa.

Yes there is, It's called Visa on Arrival. If you fly in to Thailand you get a 30 day visa exempt. But If you come by road crossing a land border different rules apply to citizens of different countries....I believe that citizens from a G7 country get a 30 day, and citizens from other western countries only 14....

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...rules change constantly depending to border crossing....I just did a border run to Mae Sai a couple of days ago, there was a couple who were refused exit because they would not be able to return.

Regards.

Edited by off road pat

Good plan OP, I have been doing that for 20+ years at least. there is a saying in my country "join the useful to the joyful" , so if you have to do a visa run? you might at lest make it a interesting and joyful event.

Have great trips...

Best regards.

Kasikorn are usually foreigner friendly, plus they're not useless like Bangkok Bank.

I have accounts with both Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank, can't say I've noticed any difference in service. Perhaps details of your unfortunate experience with BB would be useful. Then we can have a competitive poster telling us how useless Kasikorn is.laugh.png

To the OP:

1/ Chiang Mai is a good choice, I've been living here 6 years and love it.

2/ Immigration here is a fairly arduous process, if you can afford it better to hire an agent. Otherwise, be prepared to queue up at 4.30 am for some functions.

3/ While CM has an international airport, not many flights actually go from here. A lot of flights to the destinations you mention will only be accessible after going back to Bangkok.

4/ As quickly as possible, develop a heightened sense of road safety. The rules of the road are quite simple here - there are no rules, except perhaps size matters. Think defensively.

Good luck.

"I have accounts with both Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank, can't say I've noticed any difference in service. Perhaps details of your unfortunate experience with BB would be useful. Then we can have a competitive poster telling us how useless Kasikorn is.laugh.png"

The difference I see is that it is very easy to transfer funds online from a US bank directly into my Bangkok Bank account. No charge on the US side, small fee at BB.