Is this spec worth upgrading to ssd ?

speedtripler

hp pavillion dv7

1680x 1050 resolution 17.3" screen

core 2 duo P8400 @2.26

4GB ram

500GB Hdd at 5400rpm + external 1Tb also 5400rpm i think ,,,,

and windows 10 pro is running fine on it if thats makes any differnce

would the upgrade make a noticeable differnce ? or is the other spec just too old ?

its a bit hot and noisy under heavy load but i assume i could fix that with a cleaning out

and a ssd maybe less heat and quieter etc ...........

Yes.

The general responsiveness that an SSD brings is astounding.

In my UL80, which has a Core2 Duo @ 1.2ghz the addition of an SSD makes it a very usable machine.

In regards to the heat and noise, take off the CPU cooler, clean off the old TIM and apply new. Of course a good cleaning wouldn't hurt but that processor is really old and I'd bet the compound between it and the HSF has dried up.

Per daveboo, an SSD will work wonders for the responsiveness in data reads and saves, most noticeable in startup. Your box may be elderly but if it works well enough then clean out the inside. I would not remove the HSF unless you know how to properly apply the thermal compound, few do and usually smear on too much.

thx everyone for the advice

i understand from reading any ssd will do so there is no point in buying the top of the range one etc

because my laptop spec would not be able to utilise it anyway .........

whats a good one to get ?

the samsung evo 840/850 gets great reveiews but if i cant use that much speed anyway can i get a cheaper one ?

theres a few for sale from brands nobody ever heard off about half the price of the samsung ........

i understand from reading any ssd will do so there is no point in buying the top of the range one etc

the samsung evo 840/850 gets great reveiews but if i cant use that much speed anyway can i get a cheaper one ?

theres a few for sale from brands nobody ever heard off about half the price of the samsung ........

Possibly.

However garbage collection may not be as good, overprovising may be less resulting in drive slowing more as it fills, and the quality of the NAND may be lower resulting a shorter life.

its likely full of dust because it runs 24/7 but i think i can strip it down and clean it out ...

if i cant theres plenty of guys in fortune who can ..........

"Pro-Corner" on the 3rd floor of Fortune is an excellent service shop. English spoken.

Yes, a SSD will make a very noticeable bootup and overall responsiveness improvement on most any computer, especially older ones. It sure did when I put some SSDs in a couple of 8 year old Tosiba laptops (one of them running a Pentium Core Duo and the other one a Celeron) and my newer Lenovo i7 CPU based laptop.

I have an old HP mini netbook. It has the maximum RAM that it can use. It was still so slow that I was going to give up on it. A friend recommended that I try an SSD. I decided that if it was still slow with the SSD, that I'd use the SSD for my more powerful laptop. The old HP mini has a new life. No powerhouse for sure but usable. I have even put Windows 10 on it. So to answer your question, the SSD's are amazing.

I was planning to put one of these in an 8 year-old Core 2 Duo. When people have done this, have you gone for a 250 or 500 GB SSD drive?

Just trying to decide whether the 250GB is too small and will lead to later regrets about not getting a bigger drive.

Also, has anyone got an SSD to work in Win XP? Apparently you need the trim command to run an SSD properly. Unfortunately this is only present in >Win 7 ie it's missing in Win XP, although apparently some manufacturers eg Samsung come with their own software you can install to do this.

I found some references to people running Win XP on ton an SSD, but don't know how successful it was in the long term.

Possibly.

However garbage collection may not be as good, overprovising may be less resulting in drive slowing more as it fills, and the quality of the NAND may be lower resulting a shorter life.

i ordred the samsung evo 850 250GB ,from singapore so will take a few days to arrive

looking forward to testing the performance anyway ;).....new toys are always exciting ....

its likely full of dust because it runs 24/7 but i think i can strip it down and clean it out ...

if i cant theres plenty of guys in fortune who can ..........

"Pro-Corner" on the 3rd floor of Fortune is an excellent service shop. English spoken.

i thoughht i could do it myself but then i watched this :

the hp pavillion dv7 needs to be completely disassembelled to clean out the fan

its outta my league so it will have to go into that shop and see if they can do it blink.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update in case it helps anyone else whos sitting on the fence .....

got the sdd and the migration disc didnt work smoothly ,ended up doing a clean install blink.png

the ssd is mindblowing quick ....thumbsup.gif

my 6year old laptop feels as quick as my gfs acer which is 6month old with an i5 cpu

best upgrade money can buy imo

i doubt i will ever buy a spinning disk again .....

thx all for your wisdom ......wai.gif

Archived