Thailand expects record tourist arrivals in 2016

webfact

Thailand expects record tourist arrivals in 2016
BY PAIRAT TEMPHAIROJANA

BANGKOK: -- International tourist arrivals in Thailand are expected to reach a record high in 2016, the tourism minister said on Wednesday, after nearly 30 million foreigners came to its temples, beaches and bars in 2015.

Tourism boomed even after the deadliest attack on Thai soil in peacetime at a shrine in central Bangkok shook the country and as a high profile trial for the murder of two British backpackers sullied the industry's reputation.

Tourism accounts for about 10 percent of Thailand's GDP and is one of the few bright spots for an economy that underperformed peers in Southeast Asia.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-tourism-idUSKBN0UK0IU20160106

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2016-01-07

Funny how I remember them saying tourism was down some because of the bombing at the shrine? Maybe I'm wrong! However, this article states about record numbers of tourists. That would be the Chinese tourist groups who don't spend any money while they are here.

Funny how I remember them saying tourism was down some because of the bombing at the shrine? Maybe I'm wrong! However, this article states about record numbers of tourists. That would be the Chinese tourist groups who don't spend any money while they are here.

The numbers were down after the bombing for a short period after the bombings, but people forget quickly.

Tired of the nonsense about the Chinese not spending any money, they just don't waste their money on hookers and booze. But they stay in Thai hotels, use Thai transportation and eat in Thai restaurants, so no doubt they contribute to the GDP.

Am in the business, and have an increasing number of Chinese customers, and they are no different from their Western counterparts. Maybe a little odd behavior at times, but they are in my experience no Cheap Charlies.

As for the high numbers in total, just check the increased number of arrival at Thai airports (Up 35%, and they are not all visa-runners), so actually I think the optimism from TAT is well grounded.

Optimistic people here in Thailand and that the key for more projects to be unleashed. The WILL will be forgotten in time no one calls these people to account, you can do and say anything.

The numbers were down after the bombing for a short period after the bombings, but people forget quickly.

Tired of the nonsense about the Chinese not spending any money, they just don't waste their money on hookers and booze. But they stay in Thai hotels, use Thai transportation and eat in Thai restaurants, so no doubt they contribute to the GDP.

Am in the business, and have an increasing number of Chinese customers, and they are no different from their Western counterparts. Maybe a little odd behavior at times, but they are in my experience no Cheap Charlies.

As for the high numbers in total, just check the increased number of arrival at Thai airports (Up 35%, and they are not all visa-runners), so actually I think the optimism from TAT is well grounded.

Arrivals may well be up and that's no surprise. But with the majority being Chinese and other Asian tourists the average length of stay is well down. I've said before that hotel nights would be a better indicator than numbers but this is difficult to judge, especially when on one hand you have the THA stating that hotels are practically full for the foreseeable future and on the other you have hotel, guesthouse and resort owners saying that their occupancy rates are the lowest for many years.

Interesting that in this article the focus is on numbers but in another article there's a line stating that the TAT will be less interested in numbers and more interested in expenditure.

Expect more of the same contradictory announcements throughout the year.

It would be interesting to see figures on how many people use Bangkok as a transit hub.

I was flying back from Europe after Christmas holidays, and I could hear that a god portion of the passengers sitting near my seat were transiting through Bangkok to Australia, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar and even one was bound for Bhutan. This makes me wonder if a good number of arrivals are not coming to Thailand as your usual 2 week tourist, but only stay perhaps one night before flying to final destination?

I never have a problem finding a hotel in Thailand even during the holiday period. Many times I just walk in and can still get a discounted rate. Americans and Europeans are not coming to Thailand like they used to but they are being replaced by the Chinese simply because there are so many of them that are now travelling and Thailand is a nearby and budget destination. they are not big spenders like those from the West but their large Numbers will keep some types of business from going broke. The lack of increases in tourist arrivals from the West does not make for long term profits in Thailand. Many two and three star hotels are just hanging on.

Tourism boomed after the bombing, nice choice of words, and after the Koh Tao atrocity.

So why all the spin coverups and perverting the course of justice if it is truly not affecting tourism.

Exactly. And with the Koh Tao atrocity currently making international headlines with a 'Boycott Thailand' slogan, I wonder what these muppets are smoking.

I think this is subterfuge on behalf of the tourism authority the way things are going they will be lucky to get any tourists the multiple entry visa has been stopped which was a very popular visa many people who have booked and paid for holidays have been denied visas on the grounds they were coming to work in Thailand I think its time the tourism authority and immigration got together and sorted these problems out.

Regarding Chinese tourists.

99% Pay up front in China for an all inclusive deal at really cheap rates. I know this as I worked in China and saw the prices in travel agencies for places like the Maldives even. Also, as rewards for hard work, companies send huge groups of employess for short breaks abroad all paid for the management.

About 3 years ago, I was trawling around the back Sois here on my bicycle and off Soi KawPai I spotted a big new complex. It looked like serviced apartments and I went to have a look and asked at reception about room costs. I do this in case I have found somewhere nice for friends coming visiting etc.

The woman on reception told me she was the Manager and that there were no rooms available for the next 2 years as the owners had signed a deal with a Chinese tour group. At that time there was no one in the hotel but her hands were tied and she said even though the Chinese were not there they were not allowed to let out the rooms. She also said that due to "cultural" differences they were hard work.

The Chinese that do come here and spend money are really wealthy Chinese normally younger age group and they travel independantly and they have to have "high up" connections back home before they can do that. Mainland Chinese people on the whole cannot just get on a plane and leave.

So when someone sates they dont spend money here. That is correct. The real money has already been skimmed higher up the food chain at a "General" level?

Back to "Touris'" numbers - rightly stated already, BKK is a Hub for onward travel, also Don Muang and so is Chiang Mai. When landing cards are counted for transit passengers the total "visitors" could be as high as 50+ million (check WiKi) - but I think TAT hold that number back as year on year they add a couple of million to their already over inflated numbers.

Well, the world economies seem to be a bit shaky at the moment. Maybe time for a Thai beach?

China stock market last 30 minutes this morning before the circuit breakers kicked in for the 2nd time this week. Market climbed yesterday a bit because the Chinese government threw money at it but it did not last. Yes I am sure all these Chinese being battered in the stock market will want to rush here for a vacation. The only benefit I can see because of a dropping yuan is that the Chinese will want to get their money out of the country fast and possibly into the Thai condo market. The new building across the road only has a couple lights on at nighttime.

Well, the world economies seem to be a bit shaky at the moment. Maybe time for a Thai beach?

China stock market last 30 minutes this morning before the circuit breakers kicked in for the 2nd time this week. Market climbed yesterday a bit because the Chinese government threw money at it but it did not last. Yes I am sure all these Chinese being battered in the stock market will want to rush here for a vacation. The only benefit I can see because of a dropping yuan is that the Chinese will want to get their money out of the country fast and possibly into the Thai condo market. The new building across the road only has a couple lights on at nighttime.

Given a constant increase each year, any boffins out there who can calculate when the number of tourists exceeds the population of the country?

Like I said before bring your own water generator poop bags and oxygen mask because in the end mother nature will decide when we have reached our limits and the oceans will only hold so much garbage.

Given a constant increase each year, any boffins out there who can calculate when the number of tourists exceeds the population of the country?

Like I said before bring your own water generator poop bags and oxygen mask because in the end mother nature will decide when we have reached our limits and the oceans will only hold so much garbage.

I never have a problem finding a hotel in Thailand even during the holiday period. Many times I just walk in and can still get a discounted rate. Americans and Europeans are not coming to Thailand like they used to but they are being replaced by the Chinese simply because there are so many of them that are now travelling and Thailand is a nearby and budget destination. they are not big spenders like those from the West but their large Numbers will keep some types of business from going broke. The lack of increases in tourist arrivals from the West does not make for long term profits in Thailand. Many two and three star hotels are just hanging on.

We walked into about 5 hotels over the Christmas period in several cities and had no problem getting a good room and the prices were not inflated for the holiday period. They were glad to get customers.