UK Tourist Visa for Girlfriend.

No problem at all. They work from the documents presented to them.

I would disagree. I do not believe that they created a new system where UK officials were unable to access the original application, little point in that if applications can be altered.

I would suspect that VFS will not accept an amended application.

If you have not paid you can abandon the application, it would die a death in due course, and start again.

If you have paid then you need to decide if you want to chance it or not.

Your application fee is non-refundable.

What is the visa fee refund policy?

We will only refund your visa fee if you withdraw your application in writing, using the refund request form on visa4UK, before biometrics are submitted and within 3 months and 7 days of the date the application was paid for. Visa fees for applications where submission of biometric information is not required will only be considered for refund where the written notification of withdrawal is received before the physical applications have been either accepted at the visa application centre or received directly at the Visa section. You will not be entitled to a refund if your application is granted for a shorter time period than the period you applied for.

Edited by theoldgit
Quoted flame removed and quote snipped as per forum rules.

No problem at all. They work from the documents presented to them.

I would disagree. I do not believe that they created a new system where UK officials were unable to access the original application, little point in that if applications can be altered.

I'm afraid you're wrong to disagree, bobrussell is quite correct when he says that UKVI decision makers do work from the up to date information on the hard copy of the application, together with the supporting documents, submitted via the Visa Application Centre. He didn't suggest that decision makers were unable to access the online application.

I would suspect that VFS will not accept an amended application.

You suspect wrongly, applicants are advised to correct any mistakes they've made in their online application, VFS staff are contracted to forward all applications, including those where mistakes have been identified and corrected, and that's exactly what they do.

If you realise that you made a mistake on your online form, you cannot change it after you have submitted the form. Please make any changes in writing on your Completing the application form.

Would be more than happy to be wrong, I take it that this information has been verified by experience.

I didn't say decision makers, I said UK officials, quite different. An online system serves little purpose if the UK immigration officers cannot access the correct information, maybe a bit too forward thinking for the UK government. Looks like I was mistaken in the belief that this move to an online system was in part to improve security at UK entry points.

I didn't say decision makers, I said UK officials, quite different.

Yes quite different, the decision makers are the people who make the decision on the application so it's quite useful for them to have up to date and accurate information in the event that the applicant has discovered they've made an error after the submission of the online application.

As I pointed out previously the advice on how to address errors after the online submission is clearly given in the FAQ section of the Visa4UK website, and there are numerous posts from members who've been able to correct errors in their online application.

As a matter of interest which "UK officials" were you actually referring to, you'll appreciate that the term would cover a number of staff?

Would be more than happy to be wrong, I take it that this information has been verified by experience.

I didn't say decision makers, I said UK officials, quite different. An online system serves little purpose if the UK immigration officers cannot access the correct information, maybe a bit too forward thinking for the UK government. Looks like I was mistaken in the belief that this move to an online system was in part to improve security at UK entry points.

Yes, loads and loads of experience!

Corrections and amendments can be made right up to the time the application is packaged to go to the embassy (probably more accurate to say the minute the applicant leaves the building!).

Whether the idea is to move everything online at some stage, I cannot say but that does not seem likely to happen any time soon.

I don't know if using the online form is to give an ECO an early glimpse of an application (seems pretty unlikely) or whether it is to ensure as much as possible is legible and typed which seems quite likely.

I am not sure quite what the reasoning is behind filling the form on-line beyond 'it is still a work in progress'.

Edited by bobrussell

We will only refund your visa fee if you withdraw your application in writing, using the refund request form on visa4UK, before biometrics are submitted and within 3 months and 7 days of the date the application was paid for. Visa fees for applications where submission of biometric information is not required will only be considered for refund where the written notification of withdrawal is received before the physical applications have been either accepted at the visa application centre or received directly at the Visa section. You will not be entitled to a refund if your application is granted for a shorter time period than the period you applied for.

I received a refund for my girlfriend's Visitor visa application after being incorrectly advised by VFS staff that the Marriage Visitor visa application we had submitted was not multiple entry. I had to apply for the refund using the request form referred to, it took about 28 days and I lost money on the £ to $ exchange rate.

I received a refund for my girlfriend's Visitor visa application after being incorrectly advised by VFS staff that the Marriage Visitor visa application we had submitted was not multiple entry. I had to apply for the refund using the request form referred to, it took about 28 days and I lost money on the £ to $ exchange rate.

I meant if I submitted the application but included incorrect data and as a result my girlfriend's application rejected. In such a case it would be non-refundable to me. Anyway, everything is in place and we will (or rather she will) submit on Wednesday.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your suggestions/advice.

Yes, loads and loads of experience!

Corrections and amendments can be made right up to the time the application is packaged to go to the embassy (probably more accurate to say the minute the applicant leaves the building!).

Whether the idea is to move everything online at some stage, I cannot say but that does not seem likely to happen any time soon.

I don't know if using the online form is to give an ECO an early glimpse of an application (seems pretty unlikely) or whether it is to ensure as much as possible is legible and typed which seems quite likely.

I am not sure quite what the reasoning is behind filling the form on-line beyond 'it is still a work in progress'.

Nobody can have loads of experience, the online form was introduced fairly recently with revisions on the 18th March 2015 and on the 31st March 2016 that I know of.

In an ever changing environment, old experience means little.

Any system that allows 2 versions of the same data set is fundamentally flawed and open to exploitation.

After every terrorist incident we hear the same question, "How was that allowed to happen" and invariably comes down to a failing in the system. The UK government is staring such a failing in the face.

I note that Trendy and the British Embassy are listed as only being closed on 2 May but not on 5 May (Coronation Day) or 6 May (the latter was later announced as a public holiday by the government). Does anyone know if the situation remains unchanged? We were hoping to be able to book an appointment for 4 May (believing 5 and 6 to be holidays).

Also, when booking an appointment, do they offer you a selection of times and dates or do you suggest them and Trendy confirms which one they can fit you in on. I'm asking because we have a tight window we are targeting. Also, how far ahead can you book your appointment. My girlfriend returns at the beginning of that week and with all the things we have planned we do not have much time in hand.

For example, if I submitted the application and paid the fees now, would I have a better chance of fixing a 4 May slot or is that too far ahead? If I left it until say just a few days before she arrives, 4 May could be fully booked. But if Trendy is open on 5 and 6 May this would give us a bit more room to manoeuvre.

This visa stuff is all very new to me.

I'm booked in at Trendy on Friday 6th at 9am, I hope it hasn't changed!

I will clarify. There is loads of experience that conclusively proves that an amended form can be submitted. The website clearly states that amendments should be made on the submitted form!

Not sure what the two versions are because the ECO uses the submitted form and documents. Also not sure how this can be exploited. terrorist or otherwise!

The system is 'beta' and has been since it was introduced. I suspect the plan is for the decision to be based on the online form eventually.

I will clarify. There is loads of experience that conclusively proves that an amended form can be submitted. The website clearly states that amendments should be made on the submitted form!

Not sure what the two versions are because the ECO uses the submitted form and documents. Also not sure how this can be exploited. terrorist or otherwise!

The system is 'beta' and has been since it was introduced. I suspect the plan is for the decision to be based on the online form eventually.

My girlfriend submitted her amended form this morning without any problems.

Garry as I mentioned earlier, I am due there on Friday. Please can you confirm that photos were not required this time, only biometric data? Edited by DMC1

Garry as I mentioned earlier, I am due there on Friday. Please can you confirm that photos were not required this time, only biometric data?

My girlfriend prepared a passport photo as indicated in the required documents, however, they did not want one.

As to other photos, they are no longer required, however, I did include a few printed on A4 paper.

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

Garry as I mentioned earlier, I am due there on Friday. Please can you confirm that photos were not required this time, only biometric data?

My girlfriend prepared a passport photo as indicated in the required documents, however, they did not want one.

As to other photos, they are no longer required, however, I did include a few printed on A4 paper.

Thanks Garry. Just checking as there is no longer any mention of bringing passport photos on the appointment form. I also noted on the website that they have just put a note on there to say that if you are submitting biometric data at the application then there is no longer any need for passport photos.

I believe also in the supporting documents that they no longer want photo evidence. I also have included some printed on A4, as with previous applications. I usually end up submitting the same package every year, with some slight updates.

• Like 1

Glad that things worked out from your point of view. I have to say that I think it is scandalous that the UK government allow this practice to continue.

Front line immigration officers have a difficult job at the best of times and to be denied a tool that would be of significant benefit is quite ridiculous.

Glad that things worked out from your point of view. I have to say that I think it is scandalous that the UK government allow this practice to continue.

Front line immigration officers have a difficult job at the best of times and to be denied a tool that would be of significant benefit is quite ridiculous.

Border Force Officers do have access to the online application at the Port of Entry, together with any amendments and notes that may have been entered onto the system by the Entry Clearance Officer when considering applications.

They also have access to the Warnings Index, this is a stand alone system with terminals at each desk and can be accessed by a swipe of the passengers passport.

Border Force Officers will also be advised by other team members, they used to be called ALO's, Airline Liaison Officers, of any persons of interest on particular flight via advance passenger information, you will sometimes see BF officers at the gate when passengers disembark.

Hi,

Garry P, Nice to hear the good news getting the GF visa sorted.

Sorry for hi jacking your thread.

I have a few questions, if anyone can help before we apply for the visa

My stepdaughter’s father died when she was 2 and I am not registered legally as her father so

1) Can I put my details as the father or her deceased father’s details even though she may not have all the details or leave it blank?

I have read that the form can’t be submitted if some details are missing?

2) Do we have to photocopy all my wife’s and daughter’s old Uk visa pages and/or old full passport pages when I submit the supporting documents.

I will hand in the old passports so it seems pointless if the VFS have the old passports to refer to check their previous visa history to the UK.

3) Do the photocopy bank statements have to be certified/ stamped etc by the bank?

Thanks for your time and help.

JJP

@jjp, it's always best to start your own thread otherwise questions can get missed, but in brief.

1 - You're not the father so your details shouldn't be entered, if the father is deceased put in what details you can, if you really don't know the DOB put something like 01.01.1900, but make sure you've explained what you've done.

2- No you don't need to photocopy the passports, they want to see the originals, you could put post it notes on the appropriate pages if you want to, but the form asks for the old visa numbers, I think, they can call them up on the system.

3 - Supporting documents, like bank statements, should be originals, if you print them online then it's these should be stamped by the bank. If you want documents returned then you should provide copies if the documents you want returned. You might get away with photocopies, some people reportedly do, but they do require originals.

jjp, I will defer to the gurus on the subject. My girlfriend's application was quite basic. I honestly do not know the answers to your questions. The guys on here will get you sorted out though.

@jjp, it's always best to start your own thread otherwise questions can get missed, but in brief.

1 - You're not the father so your details shouldn't be entered, if the father is deceased put in what details you can, if you really don't know the DOB put something like 01.01.1900, but make sure you've explained what you've done.

2- No you don't need to photocopy the passports, they want to see the originals, you could put post it notes on the appropriate pages if you want to, but the form asks for the old visa numbers, I think, they can call them up on the system.

3 - Supporting documents, like bank statements, should be originals, if you print them online then it's these should be stamped by the bank. If you want documents returned then you should provide copies if the documents you want returned. You might get away with photocopies, some people reportedly do, but they do require originals.

On point 3 we have never submitted original bank books nor have we ever stamped anything in the bank. We have either printed online statements from our respective Internet banking sites or photocopied our updated bank books.

On point 2 just put the old passports in with the supporting documents, don't worry about photocopying them as above reply states.

On point 1 yes that's about right.

My experience is only receiving 4 successful 6 month UK visitor visas. Soon to be 5, hopefully.

Originals are a requirement but like you say, DMC1, many people do get visas when they've only supplied copies, but people have had applications refused on the back of supplying only copies.

I'm not comfortable advising people to ignore the published requirements, but I did include the caveat that some do get visas issued on the back of photocopied supporting documents, life is always about choices.

The general experience seems to be that ECO's are much more flexible with original v's online print outs, when a visit visa is being applied for. The rules suggest originals are required but for settlement it has to be originals or certified print outs.

They may be more flexible where the applicant and partner are resident in Thailand but these are generally the easier ones to get visit visas as there are clear reasons to return!

Yes, I don't want to teach people bad habits, only share my experiences. I am not married BTW but been with my partner for 15 years & only ever requested 6 month visit visas.

You could probably make yourself a nice bank stamp in the local stationary shop!

And face a possible 10 year ban for submitting forged or fraudulant documents. Is it really worth the risk?

I was being sarcastic Bob. They've probably got a fraudulent stamp investigation section checking on stamp authenticity, so I wouldn't bother.

I realised that but there is no sarcastic smiley!

There are people foolish enough to take that sort of advice seriouslyfacepalm.gif

There are departments dealing with fraudulent documents.

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1