UK Tourist Visa for Girlfriend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to take my girlfriend to the UK later this year. We intend to visit my father, step-mum and sister, staying in the UK for about a week. My father is 84 years old. I had hoped to sponsor her but I understand that to be a sponsor you need to be resident in the UK. I live in Thailand and have lived here for more than 30 years. I have a good job in Thailand and am fully able to pay for flights and accommodation in the UK. I can also prove savings in Thailand of several million Baht. I have been employed by the same international company for 23 years and am in a managerial position. I live with my son. I visited the UK with my wife (now deceased) and son about 25 years ago without problem. My son carries both Thai and UK passports (I don't believe this has any bearing on the matter).

My girlfriend is currently working overseas but will be back in Thailand for a month in April or May (annual leave) and we intend to submit the application then. She has approximately Baht 300,000 in her bank account and some land (not much) up country. She will return to work overseas to finish out her 2 year contract with a reputable international hotel chain, but during that period she will take a week's leave (June, July or August 2016). She is able to obtain a letter confirming her employment and salary of approximately Baht 30,000. We have known each other for 14 months, spent time together in Thailand and I have visited her twice in the country where she is working. We have some pictures of these holidays together but not much in the way of a pictorial history and very little in the way of correspondence, as we mostly communicate via Line. We are in daily contact.

If I cannot issue a sponsorship letter, then my sister, who is a manager in a large UK bank would be prepared to issue one.

BTW I will be flying to the country where my girlfriend works, meet her there and then we would fly to the UK together. We would then return, with her flying back to work and me returning to Thailand and my job here. All rather messy I know, but I would appreciate any pointers people with experience could give, such as whether I should submit a letter even though I may not be able to sponsor her, evidence that would be appropriate from me and her, etc.

PS I do not have any property in the UK and my last visit was about 18 years ago for a 3 day work visit.

Edited by GarryP

You should have no problem obtaining the visit visa and there is no issue concerning you writing the sponsor letter.

Main points that will be reviewed in the application are :

evidence of the relationship between you and your girlfriend

reason for visit & accommodation

funds available to finance trip

REASON TO RETURN FROM UK

From your post it looks like you have all of these items fairly well covered. Go ahead and make the application and cover the points above in your sponsor letter.

Good luck

Happy Days

• Like 2

A bump is in order. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

You can sponsor her visit and the fact that you live in Thailand strengthens her case for having a reason to return. It should be straightforward.

Agree.

Arguably she doesn't need you as sponsor.

She is going for a week's holiday (traveling with long-time boyfriend who will also be returning to Thailand). Can support herself and satisfy 1. Genuine reason for visit 2. Financials and 3. Reasons to return

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

As the purpose of the trip is to visit your family, then you should sponsor her. Otherwise why would she travel to the UK to meet strangers?

'Sponsor' in a visa application does not mean providing the finances; it's more like someone sponsoring a friend for membership of a club.

See Standard Visitor Visa for more details and how to apply.

You may also find UK visit visa basics helpful. Some of the details are out of date; but the essentials haven't changed.

Edited by 7by7

As the purpose of the trip is to visit your family, then you should sponsor her. Otherwise why would she travel to the UK to meet strangers?

'Sponsor' in a visa application does not mean providing the finances; it's more like someone sponsoring a friend for membership of a club.

You may also find UK visit visa basics helpful. Some of the details are out of date; but the essentials haven't changed.

Would you envisage any issue with her applying as a tourist, who is visiting the UK for a week ?

Would you envisage any issue with her applying as a tourist, who is visiting the UK for a week ?

No, plenty of people take short breaks abroad.

• Like 1

The visa application asks for the purpose of the visit.

As the purpose of the visit is to meet her boyfriend's family then this is what she should say.

Saying she was a tourist would be a false declaration; a serious matter. Were this to be discovered, say in a future application, then she could be banned from entering the UK for 10 years.

From what the OP has said, I see no reason for her to lie and take that risk.

• Like 1

Garry, you say in the OP

BTW I will be flying to the country where my girlfriend works, meet her there and then we would fly to the UK together

Are you aware that if she is legally resident in the country where she works, and the appropriate work visa would count, then she can apply for her visa there; otherwise she will need to apply in Bangkok.

Garry, you say in the OP

BTW I will be flying to the country where my girlfriend works, meet her there and then we would fly to the UK together

Are you aware that if she is legally resident in the country where she works, and the appropriate work visa would count, then she can apply for her visa there; otherwise she will need to apply in Bangkok.

Yes, I am aware of that and she is on a work visa. It is just that she will be back here in April or May for her 1 month leave entitlement and we thought it would be simpler for her to do here. She only gets off one day a week where she works and that is the weekend so it would not be possible to get to the embassy there.

The visa application asks for the purpose of the visit.

As the purpose of the visit is to meet her boyfriend's family then this is what she should say.

Saying she was a tourist would be a false declaration; a serious matter. Were this to be discovered, say in a future application, then she could be banned from entering the UK for 10 years.

From what the OP has said, I see no reason for her to lie and take that risk.

Don't you think that is slightly scaremongering.

A week's holiday to the UK that incorporates visiting relatives of a boyfriend is not visiting family.

I have seen many applications that take the tourist route and various family members are visited on such holidays. In my own case, my partner has visited twice on the basis of tourism and visited many of my family members.

• Like 1

You may consider it scaremongering to advise people of the possible consequences of lying in a visa application; I don't.

These days immigration officers at UK ports of entry can call up someone's visa application on their screens; so I can easily see the following conversation at LHR immigration:

I.O. What is the purpose of your visit?

Traveller: To meet my boyfriend's family.

I.O. But in your visa application you said you were a tourist!

Could be even worse if the boyfriend wasn't even mentioned in the application.

I can't remember the context, but Boycott on TMS yesterday said that if you lie you have to always remember what you said in case you're asked again.

Why lie when telling the truth means you'll get the visa anyway?

• Like 1

You may consider it scaremongering to advise people of the possible consequences of lying in a visa application; I don't.

These days immigration officers at UK ports of entry can call up someone's visa application on their screens; so I can easily see the following conversation at LHR immigration:

I.O. What is the purpose of your visit?

Traveller: To meet my boyfriend's family.

I.O. But in your visa application you said you were a tourist!

Could be even worse if the boyfriend wasn't even mentioned in the application.

I can't remember the context, but Boycott on TMS yesterday said that if you lie you have to always remember what you said in case you're asked again.

Why lie when telling the truth means you'll get the visa anyway?

I am not advocating lying.

I am suggesting that the reason for the visit is a holiday = tourism. She is not visiting family, she has no family in the UK (she may, or may not be traveling with her boyfriend- I cannot remember the exact routes being taken)

It is a simple application and the conversation with the IO would go.......

I.O What is the purpose of your visit ?

A: I am taking a short holiday with my boyfriend

I.O. What are you planning to do on your visit

A: I shall be visiting Yorkshire and staying in various hotels. My boyfriend will take the opportunity to introduce to me to some of his family.

Exactly what I did on 3 successful applications for my partner

• Like 2

Purpose of visit - holiday!

Nothing wrong with that as purpose of visit. Nothing to stop a holiday involving family, immediate or otherwise. If questioned about the purpose of the trip this covers all!

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1

I have not said anywhere that she should say she is visiting her family; because she isn't! She's visiting her boyfriend's family, so that is what she should say.

You are advocating saying her reason for visiting the UK is tourism when it is in fact to visit and meet her boyfriend's family.

You may think making a false declaration is not lying; most would disagree with you.

Saying "I shall be visiting Yorkshire and staying in various hotels. My boyfriend will take the opportunity to introduce to me to some of his family." if that is what you will be doing is not a lie.

Saying it when you'll be staying with your boyfriend's family is a lie.

As I asked before; why lie when telling the truth will get the visa?

• Like 1

I have not said anywhere that she should say she is visiting her family; because she isn't! She's visiting her boyfriend's family, so that is what she should say.

You are advocating saying her reason for visiting the UK is tourism when it is in fact to visit and meet her boyfriend's family.

You may think making a false declaration is not lying; most would disagree with you.

Saying "I shall be visiting Yorkshire and staying in various hotels. My boyfriend will take the opportunity to introduce to me to some of his family." if that is what you will be doing is not a lie.

Saying it when you'll be staying with your boyfriend's family is a lie.

As I asked before; why lie when telling the truth will get the visa?

I never said anything about staying with the boyfriend's family!

If you want to make that up, and introduce it into the equation, then it would require an invitation from the family. That would simply add another layer of paperwork to the application.

I repeat - this is not a family visit; she is the applicant and has no family in the UK.

Read the OP!

It is the OP I am talking about!

You are suggesting that she say the purpose of her visit is tourism when it is not; it is to visit and meet her boyfriend's, the OP, family.

I did read read it, the fact that you failed to understand it appears to be your issue - visiting her boyfriend's family at some point does not make this a family visit.

It is not HER family !! facepalm.gif

• Like 1

The OP's situation is a tad similar to a visa application I submitted last week for a friend.

She is going to the UK with her boyfriend to see his terminally ill mother. They will spend some time with the family, sometime on their own and will all rent a cottage in the Lake District at some stage.

This was a tourist application.

It was approved within 24 hours under standard processing.

You still haven't answered the question; why lie in the application when the truth will get you the visa anyway?

BTW, the standard of an application has nothing to do with the processing time; that depends purely on how busy the visa section is.

There is also no longer any such thing as a tourist application or family visit application and has not been for some time; they, and other categories, now come under standard visitor visa.

But we are going around in circles; I believe in telling the whole truth in a visa application, you believe otherwise.

Up to the OP which path to follow.

• Like 1

You still haven't answered the question; why lie in the application when the truth will get you the visa anyway?

BTW, the standard of an application has nothing to do with the processing time; that depends purely on how busy the visa section is.

There is also no longer any such thing as a tourist application or family visit application and has not been for some time; they, and other categories, now come under standard visitor visa.

But we are going around in circles; I believe in telling the whole truth in a visa application, you believe otherwise.

Up to the OP which path to follow.

Of course it is now a standard visitor visa. If you have been involved in any recently you will also be aware of the sub-categories:-

Visit - Tourism - Visit - tourism - 6 months

The standard can't have been too bad if it was approved within 24 hours biggrin.png

The quality of presentation obviously assisted the ECO and there was no issue with thereason for visit.

YOU are going round in circles and, like the UK Benefits thread, are pee-ing into the wind.

I don't see what problems are likely to be met by just telling it as it is! In the covering letter deal with the details.

On arrival and if questioned, the applicant is on holiday and will be meeting some of her boyfriends family. She is a tourist and a visitor of informal family. I would agree that there might be minor issues with the definition of family just as there may be discussion of when a girlfriend becomes a partner!

Just be completely truthful, explain where there might be doubt and I cannot see why there should be a problem.

Nobody should lie on these applications, ever!

My girlfriend will not lie on the application. We will tell it as it really is. To be honest, we will visit my father and sister for only a couple of days or so. The rest of the time we will be sightseeing. I have not been back to Yorkshire (yes that is where I will be going) for 30 years so it is a holiday for me too. We will be staying in hotels all the time we are there. I do not want to impose on my dad as he is getting on in years now.

Anyway, thanks for all your input. It no longer sounds so daunting.

• Like 1

My girlfriend will not lie on the application. We will tell it as it really is. To be honest, we will visit my father and sister for only a couple of days or so. The rest of the time we will be sightseeing. I have not been back to Yorkshire (yes that is where I will be going) for 30 years so it is a holiday for me too. We will be staying in hotels all the time we are there. I do not want to impose on my dad as he is getting on in years now.

Anyway, thanks for all your input. It no longer sounds so daunting.

It is not really daunting Gary, the questions are pretty logical (a bit superfluous with parents details for your GF).

There are just 3 key criteria to satisfy - genuine reason to visit (and genuine relationship if partner is sponsor etc), adequate finance and evidence of reasons to return.

Nothing to lie about, your GF/You are going on holiday. This is a 'standard visa' and the drop down box will offer you 'Tourism - 6 months'. This is from my GF's application:-

Family and Friends

Please enter details of what you plan to do whilst in the UK Holiday in Scotland and Rome and spend time in Suffolk and Nottinghamshire visiting family of my partner. Do you have any friends or family in the UK?

No

I also put the following in the additional info section:-

Please see supporting evidence to satisfy 1. Genuine relationship and reason to visit UK. 2. Financial support from sponsor partner and 3. Reasons to return to Thailand. I have also taken out a travel insurance policy to ensure that I will not be a burden to the National Health Service

Feel free to PM if you get stuck.

Edited by Jip99

Points above are interesting,my wife will apply for a tourist visa shortly,we are going back for 3 weeks on holiday where we will visit various cities,but we are also going back as I am best man at my friends wedding,so what I read above makes me slightly torn as to which visa My wife should apply for

It really does not matter which visit visa you apply for. I suppose the rule of thumb should be 'what is the primary purpose of the visit?'.

If the applicant is visiting the applicants family or family of thier spouse, it should be a family visit visa. The rest of the time it should be a tourist visa!

There are almost no rights to appeal for either type so a tourist visit visa will do for most situations. I cannot see this being refused just because family are being visited.

I think people are worrying unnecessarily!