UK Tourist Visa for Girlfriend.

• 2 months later...

One more quick question. If we apply for the visa and get it but have to postpone the trip, will the validity of the visa extend that far?

Basically, from being granted the standard visitor visa, how long do you have to use it before it expires? The reason I ask is that our trip dates are not absolutely certain. But they will be within a three or four month window. Say we get the visa in May as we plan to travel then but have to change plans and cannot go until July, would that be possible? All I can find is that "you can apply up to 3 months before you plan to travel".

The visa will be valid for 6 months. I don't think matters when you travel as long as it's within the 6 months of the visa's validity.

Thank you so much. You have been very helpful on this thread. Put my mind at rest.

Just to add to the reply from brewsterbudgen, the visa holder would have to leave the UK on or before the visa expiry date, unlike countries like Thailand that allows you to enter up to the expiry date and then stay for the duration of the leave to enter.

To clarify a little further, if I may:

The visa will be valid from the requested date or the date of issue; whichever is the later. It will expire 6 months after the valid from date and the holder must leave the UK on or before the expiry date.

• Like 1

Your wife needs to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/thailand/tourism

The application still asks for a specific type. This is the header of my wife's current application.

Applicant:
xxxxxx
Reference:
GWFxxxxx
Travel Date:
13 Jun 2016
Application Started:
24 Mar 2016
Incomplete
Next Step:
Go To Application
Visit
Visit - family - 6 months

The standard visitor visa has replaced several catergories; including the family visit visa.

The application form asks for the reason for the visit, in your wife's case visit family, not the type of visa.

Though the way it is worded doesn't make that totally clear; it is UKVI after all!

But however you want to look at it, your wife is applying for a standard visitor visa; family visit visas no longer exist.

My girlfriend will not lie on the application. We will tell it as it really is. To be honest, we will visit my father and sister for only a couple of days or so. The rest of the time we will be sightseeing. I have not been back to Yorkshire (yes that is where I will be going) for 30 years so it is a holiday for me too. We will be staying in hotels all the time we are there. I do not want to impose on my dad as he is getting on in years now.

Anyway, thanks for all your input. It no longer sounds so daunting.

You need to read the latest guide on supporting documents, it has changed quite significantly from last year. Now includes quite a list of what they don't want. The old adage of 'you can't give too much information' has gone out the window.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423699/2015_04_20_Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_Final__2__-_CLEAN.pdf

Also on the application form there is now a question asking why someone else would pay for the trip. That, along with the additional info at the end gives the opportunity to provide some explanation on the application form.

My girlfriend will not lie on the application. We will tell it as it really is. To be honest, we will visit my father and sister for only a couple of days or so. The rest of the time we will be sightseeing. I have not been back to Yorkshire (yes that is where I will be going) for 30 years so it is a holiday for me too. We will be staying in hotels all the time we are there. I do not want to impose on my dad as he is getting on in years now.

Anyway, thanks for all your input. It no longer sounds so daunting.

You need to read the latest guide on supporting documents, it has changed quite significantly from last year. Now includes quite a list of what they don't want. The old adage of 'you can't give too much information' has gone out the window.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423699/2015_04_20_Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_Final__2__-_CLEAN.pdf

Also on the application form there is now a question asking why someone else would pay for the trip. That, along with the additional info at the end gives the opportunity to provide some explanation on the application form.

I had already read the list. Of this list of documents you do not need, I was only intending to submit one of those listed. And that was photographs of us together, which I will in any case submit, simply to show that while I live in Thailand and she is working overseas, we have spent time together whenever work has allowed.

Section 4: documents you should not send unless specifically requested

 bank statements or letters issued more than 1 year before the date of application

 driving licence

 photographs (other than passport photographs required in section 1)

 notarial certificates

 business cards

 hotel bookings

 flight bookings

 photocopies of bank cards

 credit card statements

 certificates relating to leisure activities

 evidence of car ownership

 travel insurance

 sponsor’s utility bills

 sponsor’s council tax bills

 educational certificates (unless specifically listed in section 3)

The standard visitor visa has replaced several catergories; including the family visit visa.

The application form asks for the reason for the visit, in your wife's case visit family, not the type of visa.

Though the way it is worded doesn't make that totally clear; it is UKVI after all!

But however you want to look at it, your wife is applying for a standard visitor visa; family visit visas no longer exist.

It doesn't really matter what you think.

The fact of the matter is that when someone starts an application, the first question is "Select a visa type", and 'standard' is not an option.

This first question comes in three parts -

First: Reason - Visit/Study/Work/Settlement/Transit/Other/Exempt.

Note that family is not listed as a reason.

Second: Visa Type - Tourism/Child/Family/Business(5 types)/Diplomatic/Marriage-CP/

Medical/PPE/Other

Third: Visa Sub Type - Length of visa period - 6 mths etc.

Anyone who actually wants to submit an application must make a choice based on the options above and telling people that 'family' is not a visa type is not particularly helpful. Any arguments about the website not being up date is of no help whatsoever to people doing this for the first time.

At this stage of the game it is a bit academic if the piece of paper in the passport has changed, if the form is not completed correctly there is no piece of paper.

A good tip regarding photos is to copy and paste a few into the sponsor letter, assuming it's written in Word. They don't take up any space but are there to provide additional "evidence" of the relationship. In my recent, successful application, I included a series of photos on the letter, one for each year of our 6 year relationship.

As a bit of a grammarian, it annoyed me that you couldn't use brackets or apostrophes in the online application (or at least I couldn't)!

I agree with you. What I also dislike is the very limited character count in some of the blocks. How you can meaningfully explain why you have previously been refused a visa to another country in the number of characters they allow is beyond me.

PS This afternoon pasted some photos in a Word document. Great minds thing alike. Hahaha.

• Like 1

If you write a detailed sponsorship letter, what information should you include in the Additional Information section of the online form? It seems that everything would already be covered by the letter and the other sections of the online application. Or do you just keep repeating yourself.

When I've written sponsorship letters I've always made short and punchy as I can, just including relevant information, I certainly wouldn't be repeating myself over and over.

I try to put myself in the place of the reader, I'm aware that they've probably read many such letters every day, probably many tens a week, so just get your point over as briefly and succinctly as you can, I aim for no more than two sides of A4.

Briefly mention your plans for the trip, her ties to Thailand, your ties and relationship and the financial details, and of course clarify any points that you couldn't make in the actual application..

Just keep in mind that the decision maker only has a very short time to consider the application, your role is to make that task as easy as possible.

• Like 1

If you write a detailed sponsorship letter, what information should you include in the Additional Information section of the online form? It seems that everything would already be covered by the letter and the other sections of the online application. Or do you just keep repeating yourself.

In the addition information section. I normally put a single sentence on the main reason for the application and then outline the supporting documents. I don't list everything, something like 'Itinerary plus 5 appendices' to indicate a total page count.

I have never had a problem but if something did go missing which led to an enquiry, its something to fall back on. I always mark my documents Appendix 1, 2 etc.

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed, there is really no need for comments like that aimed at other members of this forum.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Also please refrain from continually adding nested quotes, it's poor netiquette.

The sponsor's letter should, as theoldgit says, be brief and to the point. There is an example in the pinned UK visit visa basics topic. It is a little out of date as it mentions the old paper form, not the online application and doesn't mention contact via Skype and similar; but it can still be used as a template.

It should cover anything you may wish to add in support of the application which is not covered anywhere on the form.

You can also use it to expand on any answers where there is not room to do so on the form; but simply repeating yourself is pointless.

I also include a list of the supporting documents.

Don't go over the top on these; see Visitor: supporting documents guide. Note that in section 4 it says photographs, other than one passport sized photograph of the applicant, are not required. Neither are hotel bookings, flight bookings etc.

A detailed itinerary is not required, though in your sponsor's letter it wont hurt to give a brief explanation of the reasons for the visit at this time.

Whilst I am a firm believer that it is better to provide something the ECO doesn't want than miss something they do; it must be remembered that, as theoldgit says, they only have a very limited time to process each application. You don't want to overwhelm them with unnecessary documents and informatio0n as this may cause them to miss something vital.

I appreciate that some people have provided far more in the way of documents and information than I am advising and been successful; but equally I and many others have provided nowhere near that much and been successful.

Thanks for all the input. I have been able to provide a screen shot of email history, but we mainly communicate by LINE. So evidence of that is lacking as we do not keep a history of texts.

For evidence of my links to Thailand and financial status sufficient to pay for the trip, I will simply produce evidence of employment here, bank statements, copy of my British passport with visa history, and a copy of my Thai ID card, which I got a month ago. We will also submit a copy of her contract and confirmation of employment from her employer overseas, as well as bank account, id card, etc.

My sponsorship (is that what it is called in this case) letter is just short of two pages, which includes a list of attached documents.

As I mentioned before, we are traveling together (but due to changes in plans will both be flying out of and back to Thailand - which is so much more convenient for me). Upon our return to Thailand she will fly off and finish her contract overseas. I will focus a bit more on my intention of remaining in Thailand, that is, the boyfriend (me) lives here, not the UK, as I believe in this case it is an important factor.

Edited by GarryP

Post containing personal details, reference number, removed.

Without wishing to keep dragging this topic down further unnecessarily, nobody is arguing that that UKVI application doesn't breakdown the purpose into various sub categories, including visiting families, but the fact remains that family visits, as well as tourist, business, and a number of other visit types, all need to be applied for under the Standard Visit category, of course they will then break down the actual purpose of the visit to actual subsections as part of the application process, for ease of decision making and statistical purposes.

• Like 1

Post containing personal details, reference number, removed.

Without wishing to keep dragging this topic down further unnecessarily, nobody is arguing that that UKVI application doesn't breakdown the purpose into various sub categories, including visiting families, but the fact remains that family visits, as well as tourist, business, and a number of other visit types, all need to be applied for under the Standard Visit category, of course they will then break down the actual purpose of the visit to actual subsections as part of the application process, for ease of decision making and statistical purposes.

What is wrong with getting the facts correct rather than distorted statements. There is no Standard Visit category.

In this case the category is 'Family' but could have been one of many,except 'Standard'

post-201813-0-82624900-1459496987_thumb.

Getting into nit picking but these are all categories of standard visit visas. Standard visit visas are for six months, are multi entry, do not allow work etc, etc. None have a right of appeal.and are submitted in the standard way (ie within the ordinary immigration rules).

Everything else is a subdivision of these and based on the purpose of the visit.

Non-standard visits would be those outside the ordinary rules!

Not at all sure what the issue is. Some applicants could apply under more than one sub-type.

Exactly, I thought all visas for this type of visas had to applied for as Standard Visas as you as you have pointed out, as does 7by7 and Theoldgit, and in fact so does The UKVI

You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK:

##for leisure, eg on holiday or to see your family and friends

##for business, or to take part in sports or creative events

##for another reason, eg to receive private medical treatment

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/overview

In the image provided by sandyf, Family Visits is listed under >>>Office Use Only.

Am I the only one who is now confused? I thought the earlier advice was quite straightforward.

• Like 1

thonglorjimmy,

It is quite straightforward; even though Visa4UK haven't fully updated their online form to reflect the fact that the category family visit visa no longer exist and, along with several other categories, now comes under standard visitor visa.

When applying, under "Select visa type" you will find three drop down boxes.

The first is "Reason for visit" (note this includes, among others, "Settlement" which is, of course, not a type of visit visa!)

For a visit visa, select "Visit"

The second box is labelled "Visa Type" from which you can select the reason for the visit.

It is obvious that these two boxes are wrongly labelled; settlement, for example, is not a reason to visit it's settlement! The first box should be "Visa type" and the second, for a visit visa, should be "Reason for visit."

But this online form has been in Beta testing for what seems like aeons! Hopefully they will get it right eventually, but I'm not holding my breath.

(Edit: Simultaneous posting! But I'll leave the above for the possible benefit of others who may be confused.)

Bob, if in the first drop down box you select "Other" then the second box gives you the choice of, among others, an EEA family permit.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

thonglorjimmy,

It is quite straightforward; even though Visa4UK haven't fully updated their online form to reflect the fact that the category family visit visa no longer exist and, along with several other categories, now comes under standard visitor visa.

The form has been amended recently and the category has been altered from 'Family Visitor' to 'Family'.

The visa application asks for the purpose of the visit.

As the purpose of the visit is to meet her boyfriend's family then this is what she should say.

Saying she was a tourist would be a false declaration; a serious matter. Were this to be discovered, say in a future application, then she could be banned from entering the UK for 10 years.

From what the OP has said, I see no reason for her to lie and take that risk.

Don't you think that is slightly scaremongering.

A week's holiday to the UK that incorporates visiting relatives of a boyfriend is not visiting family.

I have seen many applications that take the tourist route and various family members are visited on such holidays. In my own case, my partner has visited twice on the basis of tourism and visited many of my family members.

I don't think it's scare-mongering at all - why tell a lie on a visa application with all the ramifications if found out?

Just tell the truth. What's wrong with that? To do otherwise is lying and idiocy.

AND for the purposes of the visa, when visiting relatives of a boyfriend, SHE WILL be 'visiting family'. That's what a family is - immediate family and relatives of that family.

My wife has had 3 UK visas now, with another application coming soon, all based on visiting my family (and now hers) and all went through in a few days. Of course, when travelling between different places in the UK to meet different family members, we would also do some sight-seeing, but I also mentioned that in the application.

I can't believe the notion of lying on a visa app. That's a sure way to get her chucked out if found out.

I am suggesting that the reason for the visit is a holiday = tourism. She is not visiting family, she has no family in the UK (she may, or may not be traveling with her boyfriend- I cannot remember the exact routes being taken)

But she IS visiting family - her BOYFRIEND'S family. A visa to visit family is NOT a tourist visa and does NOT necessarily mean visiting HER family.

My wife has visited MY family three times now, and soon a fourth.

Edited by Mister Fixit