UK Tourist Visa for Girlfriend.

If you write a detailed sponsorship letter, what information should you include in the Additional Information section of the online form? It seems that everything would already be covered by the letter and the other sections of the online application. Or do you just keep repeating yourself.

I usually just say 'Please see attached letter of sponsorship', although I did make a few extra points last time, as we had recently married.

No-one at the Threndy Building has ever complained.

If you write a detailed sponsorship letter, what information should you include in the Additional Information section of the online form? It seems that everything would already be covered by the letter and the other sections of the online application. Or do you just keep repeating yourself.

I usually just say 'Please see attached letter of sponsorship', although I did make a few extra points last time, as we had recently married.

No-one at the Trendy Building has ever complained.

I have not said anywhere that she should say she is visiting her family; because she isn't! She's visiting her boyfriend's family, so that is what she should say.

You are advocating saying her reason for visiting the UK is tourism when it is in fact to visit and meet her boyfriend's family.

You may think making a false declaration is not lying; most would disagree with you.

Saying "I shall be visiting Yorkshire and staying in various hotels. My boyfriend will take the opportunity to introduce to me to some of his family." if that is what you will be doing is not a lie.

Saying it when you'll be staying with your boyfriend's family is a lie.

As I asked before; why lie when telling the truth will get the visa?

So when you go to Laos to apply for Thai visa you don't put tourism, but "I am here to apply for a Thai visa"/

One of he questions in the online form is whether the applicant has family in the UK. We take this to mean blood relatives (brothers, sisters, uncles and aunts, etc.), husband or children. We answered "no" for my girlfriend as she does not have any family there. So if she has no family in the UK, how can you claim that she is visiting family. My family is not her family. She is my girlfriend. If my family were also her family it would be an incestuous relationship. The question is, are you "visiting family", not are you visiting "a" family. Now that little letter "a" makes a world of difference, but the form does not use it!!!!!! It would be different if we were married perhaps, but we are not.

So yes, she will visit my family with me, among visiting other things, but the purpose of her visit is not to visit family (without an "a" because she does not have one there) but for tourism. It's a holiday for her to see places she has never seen before. We will see the sights too. Now one of the reasons for ME visiting is to visit MY family (not "a" family), but then I don't need a visa to do that. We will also visit my best friend's family so should she claim that as visiting family? Of course not. His family are no more related to her than mine.

To repeat "Does my girlfriend have family in the UK?" "No". So the purpose of her visit cannot be to visit family. Perhaps visit "a" family, but certainly not hers. When preparing the online application for your girlfriend answer from her perspective, not yours. It is her visa, not yours.

This thread has certainly offered some insight and entertainment. I will let you know if the visa is rejected for claiming she has no family in the UK and is going there as a tourist with me (which are the facts of the matter and God's honest truth).

• Like 1

One of he questions in the online form is whether the applicant has family in the UK. We take this to mean blood relatives (brothers, sisters, uncles and aunts, etc.), husband or children. We answered "no" for my girlfriend as she does not have any family there. So if she has no family in the UK, how can you claim that she is visiting family. My family is not her family. She is my girlfriend. If my family were also her family it would be an incestuous relationship. The question is, are you "visiting family", not are you visiting "a" family. Now that little letter "a" makes a world of difference, but the form does not use it!!!!!! It would be different if we were married perhaps, but we are not.

So yes, she will visit my family with me, among visiting other things, but the purpose of her visit is not to visit family (without an "a" because she does not have one there) but for tourism. It's a holiday for her to see places she has never seen before. We will see the sights too. Now one of the reasons for ME visiting is to visit MY family (not "a" family), but then I don't need a visa to do that. We will also visit my best friend's family so should she claim that as visiting family? Of course not. His family are no more related to her than mine.

To repeat "Does my girlfriend have family in the UK?" "No". So the purpose of her visit cannot be to visit family. Perhaps visit "a" family, but certainly not hers. When preparing the online application for your girlfriend answer from her perspective, not yours. It is her visa, not yours.

This thread has certainly offered some insight and entertainment. I will let you know if the visa is rejected for claiming she has no family in the UK and is going there as a tourist with me (which are the facts of the matter and God's honest truth).

I did the same thing on my girlfriend's application. Although we will be staying with my sister, I ticked "no" for the question about whether she has family in the UK, so she has no family to visit!

• Like 2

You are spot on. There is a list of family members and 'boyfriends family' is not one of them. The list appears as you start to add a family member.

So when you (7by7) go to Laos to apply for Thai visa you don't put tourism, but "I am here to apply for a Thai visa"/

Never happened yet, but if I do ever go to Laos to apply for a Thai visa, I'll let you know!

• Like 1

I did the same thing on my girlfriend's application. Although we will be staying with my sister, I ticked "no" for the question about whether she has family in the UK, so she has no family to visit!

I disagree. I took my then girlfriend to meet my family in 2011 and 2013. I ticked saying that she was visiting MY family the first time and reacquainting herself with MY family the second time, and vice versa, in both visits.

After we were married in January 2015, plainly she WAS visiting HER step-family and so it was appropriate to say so.

I really can't see how so many here seem to think they are the only 'experts' and make a meal of things, and yet only complicate matters. All it does is add to confusion for which TV is known so well ...

Edited by Mister Fixit

I disagree. I took my then girlfriend to meet my family in 2011 and 2013. I ticked saying that she was visiting MY family the first time and reacquainting herself with MY family the second time, and vice versa, in both visits.

After we were married in January 2015, plainly she WAS visiting HER step-family and so it was appropriate to say so.

I really can't see how so many here seem to think they are the only 'experts' and make a meal of things, and yet only complicate matters. All it does is add to confusion for which TV is known so well ...

Which is exactly what you have just done!! Well done.

That was the form VAF 1B, you would not have ticked anything. Questions were answered by entering text.

The current online application requires the relationship be selected from a drop down list. No problem if you are married or claim you are in a civil partnership but not much available for ordinary girlfriends.

A great non-argument.

I doubt it would make any great difference whether you put family or not! Legal nitpicking suggests after marriage you have a sister-in-law but before she is just your boyfriends sister.

I cannot believe any application is going to be refused based only on which category has been chosen. When family visit visas could be appealed it did make a difference but now it does not matter one jot whether you chose to visit family of just visit generally. When my girlfriend visited me she applied for a standard visit visa. When we married, it was a family visit visa.

These are all general visit visas and are judged on the same information, in the same way.

• Like 1

A great non-argument.

I doubt it would make any great difference whether you put family or not! Legal nitpicking suggests after marriage you have a sister-in-law but before she is just your boyfriends sister.

I cannot believe any application is going to be refused based only on which category has been chosen. When family visit visas could be appealed it did make a difference but now it does not matter one jot whether you chose to visit family of just visit generally. When my girlfriend visited me she applied for a standard visit visa. When we married, it was a family visit visa.

These are all general visit visas and are judged on the same information, in the same way.

That depends on how open minded you want to be.

When we went to the German embassy last year, as soon as the IO saw the family visit visa it was a done deal, never looked at the marriage certificate.

Of course people are not particularly interested in circumstances that do not apply to them, mainly those that live in the UK.

A great non-argument.

When we went to the German embassy last year, as soon as the IO saw the family visit visa it was a done deal, never looked at the marriage certificate.

Of course people are not particularly interested in circumstances that do not apply to them, mainly those that live in the UK.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "That depends on how open minded you want to be".

Like Bob has pointed out "I cannot believe any application is going to be refused based only on which category has been chosen", I'd actually go a stage further and say that no it wouldn't. As Bob adds, most categories under the Standard Visa type have the same burden of proof, there is no advantage of one over the other.

My girlfriend, we're not married, used to apply for family visit visas as they had a right of appeal, not that she needed to. Like your wife she is well versed in the application process and has successfully applied for a number of visas over the years we've been together, however on her last application she applied for a longer term General Visa, the Standard Visit Visas weren't around then. She applied for a General Visa because as a family visitor she was actually supposed to travel with me or specifically supposed to be travelling to meet members of my family, whilst we didn't envisage that she would need to travel alone, she applied and was granted a two year visa, in case I might have been joining her later or she fancied a trip on her own.

When she used the first time, the Border Force officer at Gatwick said that she might want to apply for a family visa next time, I reminded her that the burden of proof was the same and the general visa wasn't as restrictive, she responded "yes, good point".

Even though she had a general visit visa she applied for a Schengen Visa, via the Netherlands Consulate, as the partner of EU National, obviously there was no marriage certificate to see and as she didn't actually get to see the decision maker so she doesn't know how much of a done deal it was, but nevertheless she was issued with a multi entry Schengen Visa valid until three months shy of the expiry date of her passport, to comply with Schengen Rules, and, probably like your wife's visa, it was issued free of charge.

• Like 1

A great non-argument.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "That depends on how open minded you want to be".

I was referring to this narrow minded arbitrary generalisation

" but now it does not matter one jot whether you chose to visit family of just visit generally. "

It is up to the individual which way they chose to jump and as nobody can be aware of all circumstances, comments like that are not particularly helpful.

'All circumstances' in this case are not that significant. The evidence required is exactly the same whether you use the drop down box for family visit or tourism.

To get a visa the visit must be affordable, have a purpose and the applicant must show adequate reasons to return. The reason for the visa can be to do touristy stuff or visit people in the UK. Whether a boyfriends family is family can be open to all sorts of interpretation. A long term boyfriend is really a partner so a family visit may be appropriate. A short term boyfriend may be considered different.

At the end of the day absolutely none of this matters because it is a matter of quibbling when a boyfriend becomes a partner. The ECO is not going to waste much time worrying about this as they concentrate on the important aspects of the application. Once the right of appeal was lost for family visas, the distinction became pretty much academic.

• Like 2

Indeed.

Obviously one should click on the most appropriate choice in the drop down box.

But, unless you are applying for a Marriage Visitor Visa, Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa, Permitted Paid Engagement Visa or Short-term Study Visa, what you'll get is a Standard Visitor Visa; whichever option you click on.

Can we bring this poi8ntless pettifogging to a close now?

No problem. It has been interesting and opened my eyes a bit to different interpretations people use. There has definitely been some good advice on this thread which I have taken heed of. Fingers crossed there should be no problems.

• Like 2

I note that Trendy and the British Embassy are listed as only being closed on 2 May but not on 5 May (Coronation Day) or 6 May (the latter was later announced as a public holiday by the government). Does anyone know if the situation remains unchanged? We were hoping to be able to book an appointment for 4 May (believing 5 and 6 to be holidays).

Also, when booking an appointment, do they offer you a selection of times and dates or do you suggest them and Trendy confirms which one they can fit you in on. I'm asking because we have a tight window we are targeting. Also, how far ahead can you book your appointment. My girlfriend returns at the beginning of that week and with all the things we have planned we do not have much time in hand.

For example, if I submitted the application and paid the fees now, would I have a better chance of fixing a 4 May slot or is that too far ahead? If I left it until say just a few days before she arrives, 4 May could be fully booked. But if Trendy is open on 5 and 6 May this would give us a bit more room to manoeuvre.

This visa stuff is all very new to me.

That was the form VAF 1B, you would not have ticked anything. Questions were answered by entering text.

The current online application requires the relationship be selected from a drop down list. No problem if you are married or claim you are in a civil partnership but not much available for ordinary girlfriends.

I only did the manual form in 2011. I'm sure had to apply by computer in 2013, as I think they had a beta system then, very bad one too.

One more question. Is is possible to reschedule your appointment if you can't make the booked date.

Yes. Its not a problem. You have to cancel and make a new appointment. I did it 3 times last year as VFS screwed up processing the Canadian visa. We ended up collecting the passport and walking next door to hand in the UK application.

How far in advance can you book, say 3 weeks in advance?

If I remember right, that is a question of timing. I think they only advance the calendar a month at a time about a week before the end of the month.

If I have that right and you were in the last week of the month you would have about 5 weeks to choose from. However if you were in the second week of the month you may only have till the end of the month.

This time I booked on 31st March and all of April was available, not sure if I could have gone into May. We are going on Tuesday, not the best of days but we are a bit restricted. I would suggest that you avoid if possible Mondays, Fridays and the day before a holiday.

PS. Just noticed the comment about the fees in your previous post. The process asks that you make the appointment and then you get 3 hours to make the payment or the appointment is cancelled.

I would suggest that you make an appointment for the end of April and make the payment. You do not want to be leaving the payment to the last minute and then possibly running into a problem. Later in the month you can change the appointment to one that suits. You can check the calendar without actually making a change. Just go back to the application and click on the appointment tab, it will have changed to green and say 'View Appointment'.

If I remember right, that is a question of timing. I think they only advance the calendar a month at a time about a week before the end of the month.

If I have that right and you were in the last week of the month you would have about 5 weeks to choose from. However if you were in the second week of the month you may only have till the end of the month.

This time I booked on 31st March and all of April was available, not sure if I could have gone into May. We are going on Tuesday, not the best of days but we are a bit restricted. I would suggest that you avoid if possible Mondays, Fridays and the day before a holiday.

PS. Just noticed the comment about the fees in your previous post. The process asks that you make the appointment and then you get 3 hours to make the payment or the appointment is cancelled.

I would suggest that you make an appointment for the end of April and make the payment. You do not want to be leaving the payment to the last minute and then possibly running into a problem. Later in the month you can change the appointment to one that suits. You can check the calendar without actually making a change. Just go back to the application and click on the appointment tab, it will have changed to green and say 'View Appointment'.

Thanks very much. Much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I have already booked the appointment but have one last question. I have received two statements/letters from my bank, one confirming funds in my savings accounts and another confirming funds in my mutual fund accounts. As I have these statements in hand, I assume it would not be necessary to make copies of each of my accounts (I have a number of them). It just seems superfluous to submit both. Any opinions on this?

They used to say that you should provide copies of any documents that you want returned, they then keep the copies.

Not sure if is still the case.

I'm assuming the mutual funds are not readily available, or needed, for the trip, if there are sufficient funds without them do you need to submit?

They used to say that you should provide copies of any documents that you want returned, they then keep the copies.

Not sure if is still the case.

I'm assuming the mutual funds are not readily available, or needed, for the trip, if there are sufficient funds without them do you need to submit?

With mBanking I am able to convert my mutual funds to cash within 24 hours and withdraw those funds in the UK using my Bangkok Bank ATM, should the need arise. Actually, the accounts are just to show that I have funds in Thailand and, thus, the reason why I and my girlfriend will be returning. I will also include a copy of my Thai ID card as another supporting reason (I am a British passport holder but obtained Thai citizenship earlier this year). Just trying to dot all the Is and cross all the Ts.

One last question. I promise. wink.png I made a mistake on one of the entries in the online form. Would it be okay to simply correct the error in the hard copy and have my girlfriend initial the same? I will add a post-it note to clarify the error.