They got me again

TheCruncher

Went to one of the bigger supermarket chains in Thailand today, and the washing detergent I always buy for my front loading washing machine had a yellow price tag.

This indicates that it is reduced in price, and indeed it showed the old price with a strike through, and the temporary promotion price which was 10% lower.

Since I'm not senile yet I know the strikethrough price is indeed the price it always was, so I took advantage of the promotion and bought a pack.

When I came home I noticed that they had reduced the size of the package from 900 gram to 800 gram, so promotion my arse.

How is it possible that supermarkets in Thailand still get away with this scam, because that is what it is in fact, since the promotion actually turns out to be a price increase.

I'm sure many of you have experienced similar scams, so feel free to post them here.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont see a scam here. It's your responsibility to check the weight label each time you purchase.

If there was a simple price deduction I would agree, but this was labeled as a promotion with the yellow price tag and the price of the old item strikethrough.

The old price is a scam, since there has never been the same item in 800 gram package previously.

I had one recently "buy one get one free", but in reality, the promotion price was double the price of actually going to the shelf and purchasing just one.

Amazing!

Most common I have discovered, is the price on the ticket on the shelf, is seldom the same as what shows up on the checkout screen, its invariably higher at the checkout.

Most common I have discovered, is the price on the ticket on the shelf, is seldom the same as what shows up on the checkout screen, its invariably higher at the checkout.

I've never seen this in the years I've been here and I'm a pretty careful shopper. I think you read the price of the item on the shelf above or below by mistake - it can be confusing.

Dont see a scam here. It's your responsibility to check the weight label each time you purchase.

It is indeed a scam if the strikethrough price pertains to the old packaging with more content.

I doubt the practice would pass the smell test by any serious consumer protection authority and I think the shop would even be mildly sentenced in court for disloyal practices.

I've never seen this in the years I've been here and I'm a pretty careful shopper. I think you read the price of the item on the shelf above or below by mistake - it can be confusing.

It must be because it never happened that Big C canceled it's policy that you got the item for free if the price at the check out was higher than on the shelf.

NOT?

I suggest next time you pay some more attention, because it is rife in Thai supermarkets

If there was a simple price deduction I would agree, but this was labeled as a promotion with the yellow price tag and the price of the old item strikethrough.

The old price is a scam, since there has never been the same item in 800 gram package previously.

Have you checked EXACTLY the same item in OTHER supermarkets? Bit of a bugger doing that this weekend with all the extra traffic but you can do it some time next week. Either way, get back to us before next weekend.

Have you checked EXACTLY the same item in OTHER supermarkets? Bit of a bugger doing that this weekend with all the extra traffic but you can do it some time next week. Either way, get back to us before next weekend.

What do I need to check?

I buy this particular brand of detergent for years already, but usually I buy it at Makro because it is sold there 5% cheaper, since there are not many powders around that are suitable for front loading machines. So I'm well aware of the original price, and can compare the size with the package I still have from my previous purchase.

Actually when I picked up the package I was suspicious already that the size was reduced, but since they published the old price on the label, I was convinced it was the same size.

Have you thought about making a formal complaint?

Seems rather petty to me but if it means that much to you then make a fuss to those who perpetrated this 'crime'.

It doesn't make sense to make a formal complaint about a small amount of money, however it still should be regarded as a scam, and I'm also not making a fuss of it.

If you read the OP again you will see that this thread was actually intended for other members to post similar experiences, which may concern more than a few Baht.

Have you thought about making a formal complaint?

Seems rather petty to me but if it means that much to you then make a fuss to those who perpetrated this 'crime'.

Petty my derriere. This is fraud (basic, sure, but fraud nonetheless) and thus a criminal offence. It is deceptive advertising to create a false illusion, which is yet another way of saying fraud, and thus a crime. Etc, etc etc.

If such an issue is petty to you, then think about why developed countries have such stringent laws against this very practice and why even the most minor infringement is met with harsh penalties.

Deception in advertising and marketing is outrageous in this country, and morally reprehensible. I thank the OP for highlighting an everyday example of it.

Reducing the size and keeping the price the same is sneaky but it's been going on for decades in all countries by all manufacturers. Google it. I found a UK news article in the Daily Mail newspaper discussing this in 2006. Stores can legally put those 'reduced' price tags provided the product was on sale for the higher price for a matter of days.