They got me again

TheCruncher

Son...if this is your biggest scam...you are indeed one of the luckiest foreigners in the country...thousands of farang are scammed for thousand of baht...you have little to complain about...IMHO

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it possible that supermarkets in Thailand still get away with this scam,

"supermarkets in Thailand "

It happens everywhere in the world. Prices stay the same or are reduced slightly while the quantity or volume of product is decreased,

How is it possible farang don't see it happening in farang land or being done by western manufacturers, but think they've been so clever in spotting a "scam" only in Thailand?

article-2039052-0DFDA7F300000578-995_468

Bradley-Hughes-transparency-infographic-

How is it possible that supermarkets in Thailand still get away with this scam,

"supermarkets in Thailand "

It happens everywhere in the world. Prices stay the same or are reduced slightly while the quantity or volume of product is decreased,

How is it possible farang don't see it happening in farang land or being done by western manufacturers, but think they've been so clever in spotting a "scam" only in Thailand?

article-2039052-0DFDA7F300000578-995_468

Bradley-Hughes-transparency-infographic-

Better read the OP again very slowly, then look at your comments again.

Executives in Supermarkets in every single country go to school only to learn this kind of (dirty) tricks, how to sell for a few cents more...without the customer knowing it!

Welcome to the most humbug world on earth, the supermarkets onesmile.png

Stop blaming Thailand only for things. The US has been doing this for years now.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/04/04/u-s-companies-shrink-packages-as-food-prices-rise/

Thanks for the link, I only don't see any mention of it that in the US they also use the price of the old ( Larger size ) package as a reference for the new ( smaller sized ) package.

May be I missed something in the article, but the odds are that you missed something in the OP.

Petty my derriere. This is fraud (basic, sure, but fraud nonetheless) and thus a criminal offence

No. It isn't. "Fraud" and "criminal offence" have clear definitions. You may FEEL you have been cheated, but legally you have not. Even in Thaland, they don't charge, indict or prosecute based on feelings.

That happens not only in thailand, here in germany the supermarkets regularly have higher prices per 100gram for larger packs of something, this because people have the idea that more of the same should be cheaper, when in fact it sometimes is not.

Small jar of peanut butter 1,69 (200gram) get our Large instead for 3,99 (400gram)...

So even in over regulated Germany large business try to scam you.

It happens everywhere.

But in Germany or other countries with a higher developed consumer protection law it is required to display the unit price. So even without a calculator everybody is able to check and compare the prices.

article-0-14DD67B7000005DC-57_468x231.jp

consumer-spending.png

In Thailand a lot people use a calculator for 30+70 , receive 500 , return 400 etc.

Here you have a good chance to sale socks

one pair for 30 THB or 3 pair for 100 THB... -

if the sale sign is big and colorfultongue.png a lot people take the offer 3 for 100THB...

They THINK they got me!!

Last week I took PHP470 to my local bank for exchange to Baht. before AND after my visit I checked the exchange rate.

The paperwork they gave me showed an exchange of .53 when the quoted rate for the time was .77 more than 40% difference. I had no choice but to accept. However, on actually giving me the money they gave B449 instead of B249. I decided to keep it and if there were repercussions I would show them the receipt for B249.

No Commission charged but a 40% "commission taken" seems to me to be a 'rip off'", so their mistake (this time) is my gain.

Just so it's really clear. I can tell you that this "package adjustment" has been going on LEGALLY in the U.S. for years (maybe even longer as I'm not a great shopper. I just read the complaints or news in Consumer Reports or other magazines.) Candy manufacturers to canned goods and perhaps frozen food. If they reduce prices, they often put in less product to meet their profit margins And they often keep a similar size packaging (yes, to "visually deceive.") Although I consider it at least a white "lie," they call it "marketing." Competition, hopefully, will take care of that.

And psychologically, they've been doing that emotionally to us fir a long time.

E.g., women will tell you that certain dress designers will downsize their dresses: They'll label a dress a size smaller, so women will feel better about themselves ("Oh look, I only wear a size 5, I thought I was a 6 [or whatever.]")

I wouldn't call your purchase a scam for sure. This should really come under "Consumer Info," so that Thai neophytes like me will pay a little more attention ... once baht denominations become 2nd hand haha.

Hell, whether it's Japan in the 60's (not dept. stores), southern Morrocco or Turkey in the '70s, or even Italy in the later years, often what you paid was the price you agreed. As one Italian leather goods owner once told me: "I have one price for locals, one for Italian tourists, another for Europeans ..." and then with a grin, "And then I have one,for you Americans."

And, I'm sure you all will say, "Duh, yeah, it happens all over Thailand." So therefore, my friend, you just made a poor consumer choice when you had the packaging size and price right in front of you (I probably would have made the same purchase.) Relax. All is not naught: You learned something. Thank you for sharing.

That happens not only in thailand, here in germany the supermarkets regularly have higher prices per 100gram for larger packs of something, this because people have the idea that more of the same should be cheaper, when in fact it sometimes is not.

Small jar of peanut butter 1,69 (200gram) get our Large instead for 3,99 (400gram)...

So even in over regulated Germany large business try to scam you.

It happens everywhere.

But in Germany or other countries with a higher developed consumer protection law it is required to display the unit price. So even without a calculator everybody is able to check and compare the prices.

article-0-14DD67B7000005DC-57_468x231.jp

consumer-spending.png

In Thailand a lot people use a calculator for 30+70 , receive 500 , return 400 etc.

Here you have a good chance to sale socks

one pair for 30 THB or 3 pair for 100 THB... -

if the sale sign is big and colorfultongue.png a lot people take the offer 3 for 100THB...

I recognize that ketchup price tag a mile away. It's Sainsbury's. Yes, they are only good for comparing just price, not price/weight. In addition, Sainsbury's would sometimes use underhand tactics.

They would advertise an offer. e.g. Bachelors pasta noodle. 4 for 2 pounds. There are 5 flavours, only 4 qualify for the offer. If you buy 4 and include one that does not qualify, you get charged for them individually.

There are other similar scams with 3 for 2, or 2 for 1 offers.

edit: need a magnifying glass to read the weight on those peanut butter jar's.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Go Back Home and be safe....they cant getta there.....

Wow, 12 posts before the go back home if you don't like brigade enters the thread.

You dad wasn't a sheep farmer by any chance?

In the end the "go back home" crowd always look sheepish. There is always people in the world that insist black is the new white well in laundry anyways.

Go Back Home and be safe....they cant getta there.....

Actually they can, similar practices back home too sad.png

That's right, in the UK, a mars bar is increased in price along with making them a bit bigger.

About two or three weeks later, the size is decreased to the original size, but the price increase stays.sad.png

Most common I have discovered, is the price on the ticket on the shelf, is seldom the same as what shows up on the checkout screen, its invariably higher at the checkout.

I've never seen this in the years I've been here and I'm a pretty careful shopper. I think you read the price of the item on the shelf above or below by mistake - it can be confusing.

It must be because it never happened that Big C canceled it's policy that you got the item for free if the price at the check out was higher than on the shelf.

NOT?

I suggest next time you pay some more attention, because it is rife in Thai supermarkets

Yes, but Big C is particularly bad for it.

..bro...you erred...

...want a price...ask for a scan...before going to the cash....

...you cannot read Thai...and many times the product is in the wrong place on the shelf....

...or the price/promotion is expired.....

...ask before to make sure...verify...have the product scanned...then you can be sure...

...as for 'got you'....that happened when you (and I) stepped foot here....

...now...try to adapt....make the best of it...survive....or be eaten up inside...get sick and die...before your time....

....I am trying too....

...I love sales...I love discounts....they say 80% of millionaires around the world even use discount coupons...no shame there...

Dont see a scam here. It's your responsibility to check the weight label each time you purchase.

It is indeed a scam if the strikethrough price pertains to the old packaging with more content.

I doubt the practice would pass the smell test by any serious consumer protection authority and I think the shop would even be mildly sentenced in court for disloyal practices.

Dear Consumer Protection Authority,

Waaaa. Please help me. These really bad big companies are taking advantage of my inability to do simple math! They are pretending to make my life better and easier by providing me with all the conveniences of modern life, then stealing my hard earned pennies by forcing me to do simple arithmetic. They need to be punished for forcing me to think in public. Please drag them into court so they can spend millions of dollars on attorney fees, then tell them they cannot add that additional cost of doing business onto the price of their products, because that's just not fair. I asked my mommy to help me, but she is too busy reading all of those pesky warning labels.

Yours Truly,

Poor, sad, lazy consumer.

The supermarket business is a low-margin industry, with the average profit margin for supermarkets typically ranging from 1 to 2 percent. Compare that to Starbucks whose profit margin is closer to 60%. Talk about rip-offs.

Words to learn are Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware. ALWAYS!!!

Went to one of the bigger supermarket chains in Thailand today, and the washing detergent I always buy for my front loading washing machine had a yellow price tag.

This indicates that it is reduced in price, and indeed it showed the old price with a strike through, and the temporary promotion price which was 10% lower.

Since I'm not senile yet I know the strikethrough price is indeed the price it always was, so I took advantage of the promotion and bought a pack.

When I came home I noticed that they had reduced the size of the package from 900 gram to 800 gram, so promotion my arse.

How is it possible that supermarkets in Thailand still get away with this scam, because that is what it is in fact, since the promotion actually turns out to be a price increase.

I'm sure many of you have experienced similar scams, so feel free to post them here.

happens in any country

Well I can assure you that it doesn't happen in my homecountry.

Probably they will also reduce the size, to be able to maintain the same price, but they will not display it as a temporary promotion because we have government agencies that keep an eye on this, and they would be fined for this false practice.

here works things different if you don't like it, up to you. why are you here if everything is better in your homecountry
What a stupid remark....have you seen the weather in the uk and europe?

We live in thailand, so we are talking about thai supermarkets, doesnt mean it doesnt happen in the west as well, we ALL know it does exist there.

I don't like being stiffed in any country, anyone who doesnt mind being stiffed, is the cause of the problem...