They got me again

TheCruncher

100 gms less soap….price reduced by 10%….

It's not like they took the OP to the cleaners.

Never said they took me to the cleaners, read the OP again.

Seems appropriate, we are talking about you complaining about getting stiffed on the price of laundry soap.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont see a scam here. It's your responsibility to check the weight label each time you purchase.

If there was a simple price deduction I would agree, but this was labeled as a promotion with the yellow price tag and the price of the old item strikethrough.

The old price is a scam, since there has never been the same item in 800 gram package previously.

Have you checked EXACTLY the same item in OTHER supermarkets? Bit of a bugger doing that this weekend with all the extra traffic but you can do it some time next week. Either way, get back to us before next weekend.

What do I need to check?

I buy this particular brand of detergent for years already, but usually I buy it at Makro because it is sold there 5% cheaper, since there are not many powders around that are suitable for front loading machines. So I'm well aware of the original price, and can compare the size with the package I still have from my previous purchase.

Actually when I picked up the package I was suspicious already that the size was reduced, but since they published the old price on the label, I was convinced it was the same size.

You are comparing the new packet size from the 'dodgy' supermarket with the previous package size from Makro? If not, maybe you need to revert to using Makro again or at least check their packaging sizes/prices. Eventually the old/bigger stock will run out so interesting to see what Makro does to their prices once that happens.

Good to note that this soap powder manufacturer joined the band of companies that are doing incremental downsizing of products. I share your disappointment that transparency in sizing/pricing is not enforced here. In the UK and other countries, the 'unit cost' is also mandated on price labels for even better consumer judgement on best value for money. Generally, I don't think they do that here but I could be wrong.

That happens not only in thailand, here in germany the supermarkets regularly have higher prices per 100gram for larger packs of something, this because people have the idea that more of the same should be cheaper, when in fact it sometimes is not.

Small jar of peanut butter 1,69 (200gram) get our Large instead for 3,99 (400gram)...

So even in over regulated Germany large business try to scam you.

Most of the buy 1/2/3 promotions are a rip off make sure you check the single price first. Like big C 12 tins condensed milk looked good price worked it out 23bht per tin single tin price 19bht. !!! Trick by the way if you have a big shop in Lotus split it into 3 on checkout usualy get 70 to 100 bht off coupon which can be used for second bit then get another for third bit. As the money off tokens usualy only apply on the day you shop.

Being poor I buy such products almost every day. In Pattanakan huge lotus, repricing takes place around 8-9:30pm.

Just be cautious when in counter.

6 outta 10 times I have paid the initial price in different items, always getting an apology from the info desk clerk afterwards.

you know that you have the right to insist on paying the advertised reduced price

Absolutely. They return the difference.

I find on all bills here it pays to check all the figures oneself. So many mistakes occur in both directions.

Always do that. I learned my lesson well.

Did you ever think that maybe the supermarket ordered and priced for a 900 gram detergent and later noticed that it was 800 grams instead of 900 grams and reduced the price accordingly to get rid of improperly supplied inventory.

Went to one of the bigger supermarket chains in Thailand today, and the washing detergent I always buy for my front loading washing machine had a yellow price tag.

This indicates that it is reduced in price, and indeed it showed the old price with a strike through, and the temporary promotion price which was 10% lower.

Since I'm not senile yet I know the strikethrough price is indeed the price it always was, so I took advantage of the promotion and bought a pack.

When I came home I noticed that they had reduced the size of the package from 900 gram to 800 gram, so promotion my arse.

How is it possible that supermarkets in Thailand still get away with this scam, because that is what it is in fact, since the promotion actually turns out to be a price increase.

I'm sure many of you have experienced similar scams, so feel free to post them here.

happens in any country

If there was a simple price deduction I would agree, but this was labeled as a promotion with the yellow price tag and the price of the old item strikethrough.

The old price is a scam, since there has never been the same item in 800 gram package previously.

Have you checked EXACTLY the same item in OTHER supermarkets? Bit of a bugger doing that this weekend with all the extra traffic but you can do it some time next week. Either way, get back to us before next weekend.

What do I need to check?

I buy this particular brand of detergent for years already, but usually I buy it at Makro because it is sold there 5% cheaper, since there are not many powders around that are suitable for front loading machines. So I'm well aware of the original price, and can compare the size with the package I still have from my previous purchase.

Actually when I picked up the package I was suspicious already that the size was reduced, but since they published the old price on the label, I was convinced it was the same size.

You are comparing the new packet size from the 'dodgy' supermarket with the previous package size from Makro? If not, maybe you need to revert to using Makro again or at least check their packaging sizes/prices. Eventually the old/bigger stock will run out so interesting to see what Makro does to their prices once that happens.

Good to note that this soap powder manufacturer joined the band of companies that are doing incremental downsizing of products. I share your disappointment that transparency in sizing/pricing is not enforced here. In the UK and other countries, the 'unit cost' is also mandated on price labels for even better consumer judgement on best value for money. Generally, I don't think they do that here but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't call one of the largest supermarket chains in Thailand a dodgy supermarket.

A manufacturer of washing detergents doesn't make a particular size of package for a particular supermarket, as that would cost more to produce, so we can be assured that the size at Makro now also is 800 gram.

The only difference will be that at Makro it will now also be priced lower as previously, but it will not be displayed as a temprorary promotion. The supermarket in question even had the guts to write that the promotion will end on 14 january.

If the " PROMOTION " hadn't caught my eye I wouldn't have bought the detergent, since I know it is 5% cheaper at Makro and I still hadn't run out of detergent, so would just have picked it up on my next visit to Makro.

Went to one of the bigger supermarket chains in Thailand today, and the washing detergent I always buy for my front loading washing machine had a yellow price tag.

This indicates that it is reduced in price, and indeed it showed the old price with a strike through, and the temporary promotion price which was 10% lower.

Since I'm not senile yet I know the strikethrough price is indeed the price it always was, so I took advantage of the promotion and bought a pack.

When I came home I noticed that they had reduced the size of the package from 900 gram to 800 gram, so promotion my arse.

How is it possible that supermarkets in Thailand still get away with this scam, because that is what it is in fact, since the promotion actually turns out to be a price increase.

I'm sure many of you have experienced similar scams, so feel free to post them here.

happens in any country

Well I can assure you that it doesn't happen in my homecountry.

Probably they will also reduce the size, to be able to maintain the same price, but they will not display it as a temporary promotion because we have government agencies that keep an eye on this, and they would be fined for this false practice.

you know that you have the right to insist on paying the advertised reduced price

Not true, not here or in the West.

In Big C and Lotus I always get the lowest price if there is a difference between shelf and check out, and I know this because it happens at least once a week.

In this case however there is no argument since the price at check out is the same as on the label, but they simply created a false promotion.

You are missing the fact that the new sized pack could well have been sold previously at the price advertised before the promotion in one of there stores. In which case it is correct and as you state you usualy buy elsewhere you may not have noticed the size reduction. Wonder when macro sell there stock if the next delivery will be of the smaller size

happens in any country

Probably they will also reduce the size, to be able to maintain the same price, but they will not display it as a temporary promotion because we have government agencies that keep an eye on this, and they would be fined for this false practice.

here works things different if you don't like it, up to you. why are you here if everything is better in your homecountry

happens in any country

here works things different if you don't like it, up to you. why are you here if everything is better in your homecountry

So it doesn't happen anymore in every country as you previously claimed, you just wanted to play the Thaier than Thai apologist, and when that didn't work out you switched to the go home if you don't like it camp.

You are missing the fact that the new sized pack could well have been sold previously at the price advertised before the promotion in one of there stores. In which case it is correct and as you state you usualy buy elsewhere you may not have noticed the size reduction. Wonder when macro sell there stock if the next delivery will be of the smaller size

The price in one of their other stores has nothing to do with justifying a FALSE promotion.

Next you gonna say it can have been the price in a store in Zimbabwe.

NEXT

Edited by TheCruncher

The price in one of their other stores has nothing to do with justifying a FALSE promotion.

I'm afraid it does as long as it's been sold by the supermarket at a certain price anywhere in the country it is not a false promotion but as there is no trying standards here afraid you will just have to live with it if the op does one less wash a week should last him Edited by Sutty

I'm afraid it does as long as it's been sold by the supermarket at a certain price anywhere in the country it is not a false promotion

You are just making things up to justify your apologist attitude. If the price in another store was of any significance, then I'm sure I could also claim back money if an article was cheaper in another store.

By the way the 800 gram packages hasn't been available before, ANYWHERE.

I should add for you also, as I did for other members, learn to read.

I NEVER claimed I paid too much, I was tricked into a FALSE PROMOTION.

Edited by TheCruncher

This is happening a lot in the US, or rather HAS happened.

Eg, since I was a kid a big bag of sugar was five pounds. (yeah, there were ten-pounders, but not as common). Those big bags are now four pounds.

A big container of ice cream was a half gallon, but is now 1.5 quarts.

Seems a lot of people who have been grabbing these things off the shelf haven't noticed the reduction in size.

I wouldn't call one of the largest supermarket chains in Thailand a dodgy supermarket.

A manufacturer of washing detergents doesn't make a particular size of package for a particular supermarket, as that would cost more to produce, so we can be assured that the size at Makro now also is 800 gram.

The only difference will be that at Makro it will now also be priced lower as previously, but it will not be displayed as a temprorary promotion. The supermarket in question even had the guts to write that the promotion will end on 14 january.

If the " PROMOTION " hadn't caught my eye I wouldn't have bought the detergent, since I know it is 5% cheaper at Makro and I still hadn't run out of detergent, so would just have picked it up on my next visit to Makro.

Note I said 'dodgy' as you are the one calling the supermarket on their suspicious pricing regime, not me.

I never suggested that they make different packaging for different vendors. You still haven't clarified if you are comparing 2 purchases from the 'dodgy' place or one from the 'dodgy' place and one from Makro.

If you bought TWICE from the 'dodgy' place then your contention that you usually purchase from Makro is somewhat challenged. Unless you are a sucker for 'promotions'.

If you bought the packages from the 'dodgy' place and then Makro, then any comparisons are totally irrelevant and there's nothing at all assured about product size or cost.

Since they are brazenly continuing this 'promotion' to mid-month, you should bring this up with store management at the 'dodgy' supermarket. Thanks for the alert (for what it's worth).

Let us know how you get on.

Next you gonna say it can have been the price in a store in Zimbabwe.

NEXT

I'll tell you what's next buy another bigger packet of washing powder, better still spread your obvious superior intelligence you belive you have, and let a nice Thai lady in a shop do your washing for you problem solved.falling all of the above stop whining and enjoy life

Note I said 'dodgy' as you are the one calling the supermarket on their suspicious pricing regime, not me.

I never suggested that they make different packaging for different vendors. You still haven't clarified if you are comparing 2 purchases from the 'dodgy' place or one from the 'dodgy' place and one from Makro.

If you bought TWICE from the 'dodgy' place then your contention that you usually purchase from Makro is somewhat challenged. Unless you are a sucker for 'promotions'.

If you bought the packages from the 'dodgy' place and then Makro, then any comparisons are totally irrelevant and there's nothing at all assured about product size or cost.

Since they are brazenly continuing this 'promotion' to mid-month, you should bring this up with store management at the 'dodgy' supermarket. Thanks for the alert (for what it's worth).

Let us know how you get on.

<removed> I never said I bought from this supermarket before, you don't need to purchase to see the price label you know.

Since I use this particular powder for years already, not just 2 times because there are not many detergents available for front loading machines, over time I know the price of this product at every supermarket I visit frequently.

Outside promotions, it is priced the same in every supermarket but Makro, where it is always 5% cheaper.So I always buy from Makro, since you don't need this article daily, and I visit Makro at least once a month.

I haven't been in Makro recently, but will have to go there anyway tonight, so will report about the current situation there.

I have really no urge to bring this up with the store management, as we all know that it will be a waste of time, but in case you still don't get it my thread was to point out that supermarkets in this country still get away with this kind of practices which are banned in the civilized world

Edited by CharlieH
inflammatory sentence removed.

This is happening a lot in the US, or rather HAS happened.

Eg, since I was a kid a big bag of sugar was five pounds. (yeah, there were ten-pounders, but not as common). Those big bags are now four pounds.

A big container of ice cream was a half gallon, but is now 1.5 quarts.

Seems a lot of people who have been grabbing these things off the shelf haven't noticed the reduction in size.

It is not the same, everey where in the world they reduce the sizes of the packages to encourage spending, they only don't fool the customer in the believe that the current size was previously a higher price.

It is not about not noticing the reduction is size, but about the supermarket falsely declaring that the reduced size was previously sold at a higher price, when that smaller size never has been available before.

Edited by TheCruncher