They got me again

TheCruncher

Note to OP : In future please change soap/detergent to Beer, Wine, Whiskey; or any other type of Booze for your scam example. Most of the people on this web site do not care about anything else. I wonder how many of the people reading this post, have a beer in their hand right now. The time is 9:05 am currently. For those members please enjoy your Leo, eggs, sausage, and toast and jam.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In al fairness, this is an invention from outside Thailand and applies to literally any and all household items like tooth paste, carbonated soft drinks (Coke is sold meanwhile in 285ml bottles compared to 330ml before), detergent, UHT-milk (946ml instead of 1 litre) and so fort.

Some shops show the price per comparable unit, i.e. fabric softener per 1ltr on the price tag affixed to the shelf. Otherwise use the little grey cells and work out the better deal. Result is better deal and the brain keeps trained gigglem.gif

You miss the point.

I don't dispute that they reduce the size, but that they stick the price from a larger sized package to it as being the normal price.

They can do this because most farangs are are DUMB enough to never check the amount of the contents.If you can not tell the weight between 900 and 500 grams then YOU fit into this category.As you said "They got me again" then this must be only one of many of your similar adventures.

Edited by sanukjim

How can they do it because they can and they do it the same way they do in Australia, take a look at chocolates and biscuits, Cadbury reduced the size of its blocks and charged the same.

To quote the old song Its the same the whole world over

Its a shame a bleeding shame

Its the rich what lives in pleasure

and the poor what gets the blame

It's nothing to do with soap powder or the amount of money involved. It's cheating and exploitation and it IS a scam.

I used to buy nice English baked bread from Big C at B42. Then suddenly one day the price was the same but the bread size had been reduced by at least 25%. I didn't buy it and never went into the store again. They can't try it on me again!

I believe in the principle of an honest trade rather than a fast buck!

Same errors occur in many of the UK supermarkets. but If you point it out, they are usually quick to rectify the pricing error and in some cases give you the item for free as a 'sorry' gesture.

However pointing out the same pricing errors in Thailand is usually met with 'Yes, but it's special offer'.

They just don't get it!

Last week multi pack of Mars bars, normal price 142bht.

Reduced because approaching 'best before' date. Yellow sticker with the 142bht crossed out and a handwritten price of 149bht.....what the F!

Pointless complaining or getting worked up about it. Bought a multi pack of Kit Kats that were reduced and everyone's happy and stress free.

Did you ever think that maybe the supermarket ordered and priced for a 900 gram detergent and later noticed that it was 800 grams instead of 900 grams and reduced the price accordingly to get rid of improperly supplied inventory.

Yea Right---------cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Caveat Emptor. (Let the buyer beware) This is a practice that has come about not only in Thailand but nearly ever other nation. In order to keep prices within reason, they just decrease the amount of product. It is the same in the US. The same in restaurants. We are paying today the same prices for less food.

Most supermarkets have a tag on the shelf below the product that breaks down the price per OZ or Grams. Read it. If not, check the product as they all have the volume marked.

We are not being ripped off. We are victims of the economy. Companies need to stay in business in a competitive market. Profit is NOT a dirty word. It is the only reason companies are in business. If they didn't make a profit, their shareholders ( you and me in our pension programs) will be in an uproar and the product would disappear from the shelves. As workers we always attempted to get the best salary that we could. Companies are no different and they must stay competitive with other companies in a global market or they will certainly fail.

Solution to this is to just be prudent in your business matters as well as in your shopping. Get used to this trend as it will continue at least for the next few years. Less product for more money.

They can do this because most farangs are are DUMB enough to never check the amount of the contents.If you can not tell the weight between 900 and 500 grams then YOU fit into this category.As you said "They got me again" then this must be only one of many of your similar adventures.

I suggest you read the OP again, very slowly this time, and then apologize for the insinuations you made to my competency.

Go Back Home and be safe....they cant getta there.....

Do I understand your posting as you agreeing to cheating customers and customers (Farangs or Thais) having to like it? Get real, ok? I also notice the practice of supermarket chains (i.e. BIG C) promoting items that turn out more expensive than the non-promoted one. And yes, I shop less at BIG C now, hate having to scrutinize each item before buying. Another thing that happens at LOTUS TESCO regularly? Items are reduced and the reduction is clearly marked but somebody forgets to tell their check out system...

Most falangs are living in Thailand because the cost of living here is so much less than their home country. And if they think scams don't occur in their home country on an even more massive scale than here, they're dreaming. Just check out the websites documenting how investors get ripped off in most Western countries. So the minor scams here don't add materially to the bottom line, unless one is living on the edge.

I get petty ripoffs here occasionally; however, I think a bit of perspective would help the OP. A packet of soap powder? Not worth getting one's knickers in a twist, IMHO.

In al fairness, this is an invention from outside Thailand and applies to literally any and all household items like tooth paste, carbonated soft drinks (Coke is sold meanwhile in 285ml bottles compared to 330ml before), detergent, UHT-milk (946ml instead of 1 litre) and so fort.

Some shops show the price per comparable unit, i.e. fabric softener per 1ltr on the price tag affixed to the shelf. Otherwise use the little grey cells and work out the better deal. Result is better deal and the brain keeps trained gigglem.gif

You miss the point.

I don't dispute that they reduce the size, but that they stick the price from a larger sized package to it as being the normal price.

Hey Cruncher------- I agree and understand where you are coming from---- It is A SCAM--- and you have been duped but with a lot of nitwits on TV you will never get them to understand your OP. But mate I admire you're persistance in explanations to themwai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Caveat Emptor. (Let the buyer beware) This is a practice that has come about not only in Thailand but nearly ever other nation. In order to keep prices within reason, they just decrease the amount of product. It is the same in the US. The same in restaurants. We are paying today the same prices for less food.

Most supermarkets have a tag on the shelf below the product that breaks down the price per OZ or Grams. Read it. If not, check the product as they all have the volume marked.

We are not being ripped off. We are victims of the economy. Companies need to stay in business in a competitive market. Profit is NOT a dirty word. It is the only reason companies are in business. If they didn't make a profit, their shareholders ( you and me in our pension programs) will be in an uproar and the product would disappear from the shelves. As workers we always attempted to get the best salary that we could. Companies are no different and they must stay competitive with other companies in a global market or they will certainly fail.

Solution to this is to just be prudent in your business matters as well as in your shopping. Get used to this trend as it will continue at least for the next few years. Less product for more money.

There is a big difference between reducing the size to keep the price within reason and announcing that it is a temporary promotion reduced from a price that has never existed for this size of package.

The latter is against the law in most countries I know of.

Go Back Home and be safe....they cant getta there.....

Do I understand your posting as you agreeing to cheating customers and customers (Farangs or Thais) having to like it? Get real, ok? I also notice the practice of supermarket chains (i.e. BIG C) promoting items that turn out more expensive than the non-promoted one. And yes, I shop less at BIG C now, hate having to scrutinize each item before buying. Another thing that happens at LOTUS TESCO regularly? Items are reduced and the reduction is clearly marked but somebody forgets to tell their check out system...

somebody "forgets to tell the checkout"--------- love it-------cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

1) the consumer rights here are not as developped as in "western" countries

2) who makes the profit? Who are the shareholders of the big supermarket chains?

3) it happens in "western" countries as well

4) beside of the topic: be aware if you buy from online shop LAZADA. The prices are lower than in the shopping malls but often (or always?) you get the stuff you want WITHOUT WARRANTIES. You can return the article in a period of 1 to 2 weeks, but if it is broken after 3 weeks you feel scammed.

Did you ever think that maybe the supermarket ordered and priced for a 900 gram detergent and later noticed that it was 800 grams instead of 900 grams and reduced the price accordingly to get rid of improperly supplied inventory.

Yea Right---------cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Very intelligent reaponse.

I feel for you brother. Just so you know, in Australia we have reputable companies who go one better. They advertise how they have held the suggested retail price firm against increasing costs and market pressures. They ask the same old price but reduce the size of your Mars Bar 10 to 15%. Used to be a Mars bar was big enough to get a firm grip on while you hoed into it. Now you have to open your fist just to make sure it is there?

NOT SENILE YET ? look before you leap comes to mind , ask yourself the question ," is this real ,what a bargain " i think you loaded the product so quickly in to your basket that you had not a care in the world until you got home and found the product a little light on, why you never quickly returned to the said place and demanded a refund , which they would have gladly given you , provided you had your reciept

what are we talking about here 5000 baht or 5 baht ?

They did the same with beer some time ago. You just have to suck it up.

Garbage bags in Tesco - price reduced, but only 7 bags per pack, previously 10!

No problem with that, as long as they don't stick a promotion label on it saying that the normal price is that of the 10 pack.

it's soap powder.

and you're taking it way too personally.

The item itself is not the subject of the topic, as it happens with hundreds of other items as well, and I think when I get scammed I have the right to take it personally.

The writer seems to think that there are consumer protection laws here regarding pricing and labelling.

In many countries, pricing laws also demand that the cost per 100g is shown. It is soon obvious if there is a cost increase.

They Love that when they do this ,Why? Because People are stupid They don't Check if anything has changed,,Like putting a new label an a Canned product . Same Weight Bigger Price,Than a Special for the normal Price Then up Again thumbsup.gif

That happens not only in thailand, here in germany the supermarkets regularly have higher prices per 100gram for larger packs of something, this because people have the idea that more of the same should be cheaper, when in fact it sometimes is not.

Small jar of peanut butter 1,69 (200gram) get our Large instead for 3,99 (400gram)...

So even in over regulated Germany large business try to scam you.

I shop in Germany once in a while (a couple of times a year), never noticed that. Have you got any picture proof of that? Seems a bit odd to me...

same for buying things in bulk, many times its not cheaper yet they put a yellow / red sticker trying to mislead consumers who don't try to do the calculations by making them think it is cheaper, other times its only cheaper by 3-5 baht

It always amuses me that Tesco sell a triple pack of Heinz Tomato sauce which is more expensive than buying 3 individual bottles!

BIG C does that right now with Lays Chips, double pack more expensive than 2 individual boxes...

it's soap powder.

and you're taking it way too personally.

The item itself is not the subject of the topic, as it happens with hundreds of other items as well, and I think when I get scammed I have the right to take it personally.

Which supermarket is it...is it owned by thai or farang.....if it is farang-owned you are "scammed" by farang..