They got me again

TheCruncher

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in the detergent business for years. Are you certain you read the pack flash correctly? We often put a special announcement on the pack of the size/price reduction so the retailer would not cheat consumers. You might consider contacting the manufacturer toll free to complain. They likely will send you something to make you feel better.

I worked in the detergent business for years. Are you certain you read the pack flash correctly? We often put a special announcement on the pack of the size/price reduction so the retailer would not cheat consumers. You might consider contacting the manufacturer toll free to complain. They likely will send you something to make you feel better.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif You are having a laugh aren't you..................biggrin.png

In marketing terms, it's called "idiot pricing." Idiot pricing takes advantage of people who are math or detail challenged--size/unit/weight/quantity/price.

A famous idiot pricing ad from the states was done by a McDonald's marketing campaign. The TV commercial featured an American basketball star enjoying eating Chicken McNuggets--the ad showed a pack of six for $0.99 and a pack of nine $1.59. The athlete, with a big smile, said something like, "who can eat only six?" The ad didn't run long and the athlete sued Mickey D's. The point being, the ad was playing on the math challenged.

In marketing terms, it's called "idiot pricing." Idiot pricing takes advantage of people who are math or detail challenged--size/unit/weight/quantity/price.

A famous idiot pricing ad from the states was done by a McDonald's marketing campaign. The TV commercial featured an American basketball star enjoying eating Chicken McNuggets--the ad showed a pack of six for $0.99 and a pack of nine $1.59. The athlete, with a big smile, said something like, "who can eat only six?" The ad didn't run long and the athlete sued Mickey D's. The point being, the ad was playing on the math challenged.

Falsely advertising the article that the normal price is that of a different article has nothing to do with math or detail challenged people. It's lying with a straight face.

Edited by TheCruncher

Falsely advertising the article that the normal price is that of a different article has nothing to do with math or detail challenged people. It's lying with a straight face.

What false advertising? What lying with a straight face? It was plainly stated six for $0.99, nine for $1.59. Your choice. The question is, why did so many numbnuts order nine?

Edited to aid the math challenged: If six cost 99; three more would be an additional 49.5; or a total of 148.5

Edited by smotherb

What false advertising? What lying with a straight face? It was plainly stated six for $0.99, nine for $1.59. Your choice. The question is, why did so many numbnuts order nine?

I was talking about MY experience from the OP. They had labelled the 800 gram package as being previously the price of the 900 gram package.

It seems that many don't read the OP properly before commenting.

I have no issues with the reduction in size, but they should not falsely label the article as being sold at a higher price previously

Maybe they got the new stock in - priced it for a day at the old price, then decided to do the promotion...?

I recently bought a pack of two badminton racquets priced only 50% more than one of the same type - bargain I thought... but when I took it to the checkout it rang through as about 10% more than buying two singles. So told them to forget it and went back to buy a different style... I asked a staff member to confirm that this was indeed the correct price as I been misled once already, so he said I could have my original twin at the price shown on the shelf...RESULT..! (although in hindsight I suspect the twin pack had been returned to the wrong hook by a previous customer...)

Got more important things to do,.....I don't let a petty scam like this ruin my day...wake me up if there is something important happening.!!!

Regards

Edited by off road pat

They also got me/us again.

I rarely drink coca cola but i just like to have it in the fridge for when i want to mix it with sangsom.

2 times in row now i thought my wife opened the bottle and drank from it. No big deal but then i also drink it before the fuzz goes out of it.

Today i told her to not open those bottles (she's on diet) and she said she didn't do that. Maybe it was the ghost she said! Yeah right.

So i checked the other new bottle and also that one was empty untill the label but the seal was still closed!

Then we found out the factory doesn't fill those bottles properly....So we got cheated again, by coca cola.

I was talking about MY experience from the OP. They had labelled the 800 gram package as being previously the price of the 900 gram package.

I have no issues with the reduction in size, but they should not falsely label the article as being sold at a higher price previously

Cruncher, you stated, “ . . . the washing detergent I always buy for my front loading washing machine had a yellow price tag. This indicates that it is reduced in price, and indeed it showed the old price with a strike through, and the temporary promotion price which was 10% lower. Since I'm not senile yet I know the strikethrough price is indeed the price it always was . . .”

So, having a yellow price tag means a reduction in price, does it? So, showing a price with a slash through it and another price 10% less, means it used to cost the slashed-out price, but it now costs the 10% less price?

Indeed, it used to cost the slashed-out price and the new price is indeed 10% less. How interesting.

As I said, it is just another form of idiot pricing for the detail challenged. Was the 10% less price box not plainly labeled 800g?

Cruncher, you stated, “ . . . the washing detergent I always buy for my front loading washing machine had a yellow price tag. This indicates that it is reduced in price, and indeed it showed the old price with a strike through, and the temporary promotion price which was 10% lower. Since I'm not senile yet I know the strikethrough price is indeed the price it always was . . .”

So, having a yellow price tag means a reduction in price, does it? So, showing a price with a slash through it and another price 10% less, means it used to cost the slashed-out price, but it now costs the 10% less price?

Indeed, it used to cost the slashed-out price and the new price is indeed 10% less. How interesting.

As I said, it is just another form of idiot pricing for the detail challenged. Was the 10% less price box not plainly labeled 800g?

You still don't get it do you? It never used to cost the slashed through price.

If you want to quote me then you should quote me completely and not take my post out of context. Below is the missing part.

When I came home I noticed that they had reduced the size of the package from 900 gram to 800 gram, so promotion my arse.

The 800 gram size has never cost the slashed through price, because it never has been available in this size, the slashed through price was from the 900 gram package.

Because I knew the old price since I buy this product for years already, though from a shop where it is always 5% discounted, the slash through price fooled me in thinking it was still the same size as before but discounted now.

Would you agree that a Toyota Vios was sold at the normal price but had a label with the price of the Altis slashed though as being the normal price?

Let me know if you want me to make a drawing for you to understand.

Edited by TheCruncher

My view is that it is not necessarily a Scam. If for example the OP had with him a photo of the product/ package from his last purchase he would have had that one piece of additional information to perhaps make a more informed decision before his purchase. I think he assumed that the company was out to get him, and trick him. Things like this go thru some people's mind, especially if you're mind is looking for a promotion.

My view is that it is not necessarily a Scam. If for example the OP had with him a photo of the product/ package from his last purchase he would have had that one piece of additional information to perhaps make a more informed decision before his purchase. I think he assumed that the company was out to get him, and trick him. Things like this go thru some people's mind, especially if you're mind is looking for a promotion.

My mind was not looking for a promotion, it was clearly labelled as a promotion including yellow label and slashed through price, though a fake one.

I know the price from the 900 gram package very well, since I buy this particular product fro years already, and it is priced exactly the same everywhere but at Makro.

As I said earlier, I was first wary of the size as being reduced, but since the label clearly mentioned the old price slashed through without any remarks of the reduced size, I was fooled into believing it was still the same size.

At Makro on Sunday it was clearly marked on the price tag that the package was reduced from 900 to 800 gram

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif You are having a laugh aren't you..................biggrin.png

When I was a US college student, a guy on my hall used to write ketters of complaint to manufacrurers of various products. You'd be surprised at the number who sent BOXES of free stuff to satisfy an upset "customer"

When I was a US college student, a guy on my hall used to write ketters of complaint to manufacrurers of various products. You'd be surprised at the number who sent BOXES of free stuff to satisfy an upset "customer"

No I wouldn't but TIT - not Kansas, or wherever he was in the US coffee1.gif

Cruncher said, “You still don't get it do you? It never used to cost the slashed through price. If you want to quote me then you should quote me completely and not take my post out of context. Below is the missing part. When I came home I noticed that they had reduced the size of the package from 900 gram to 800 gram, so promotion my arse. The 800 gram size has never cost the slashed through price, because it never has been available in this size, the slashed through price was from the 900 gram package. Because I knew the old price since I buy this product for years already, though from a shop where it is always 5% discounted, the slash through price fooled me in thinking it was still the same size as before but discounted now. Would you agree that a Toyota Vios was sold at the normal price but had a label with the price of the Altis slashed though as being the normal price? Let me know if you want me to make a drawing for you to understand.”

Cruncher, you do seem to be challenged. Perhaps you should make that drawing for your own cognizance.

You stated, “Since I'm not senile yet I know the strikethrough price is indeed the price it always was, so I took advantage of the promotion and bought a pack.”

If you knew the slashed-through price was the original price for a 900g box, why is it false advertising to offer an 800g box for 10% less? It certainly is not a deal, but they were not falsifying the promotion and labeling the 10% less-priced box 900g, were they?

As I said, idiot pricing for the math or detail challenged.

My mind was not looking for a promotion, it was clearly labelled as a promotion including yellow label and slashed through price, though a fake one.

I know the price from the 900 gram package very well, since I buy this particular product fro years already, and it is priced exactly the same everywhere but at Makro.

As I said earlier, I was first wary of the size as being reduced, but since the label clearly mentioned the old price slashed through without any remarks of the reduced size, I was fooled into believing it was still the same size.

At Makro on Sunday it was clearly marked on the price tag that the package was reduced from 900 to 800 gram

Ah, now you change your story. Initially you said, “When I came home I noticed that they had reduced the size of the package from 900 gram to 800 gram . . .” Now you say, “I was first wary of the size as being reduced . . .”

Maybe you originally did not see, " . . . it was clearly marked on the price tag that the package was reduced from 900 to 800 gram"

Cruncher said, “You still don't get it do you? It never used to cost the slashed through price. If you want to quote me then you should quote me completely and not take my post out of context. Below is the missing part. When I came home I noticed that they had reduced the size of the package from 900 gram to 800 gram, so promotion my arse. The 800 gram size has never cost the slashed through price, because it never has been available in this size, the slashed through price was from the 900 gram package. Because I knew the old price since I buy this product for years already, though from a shop where it is always 5% discounted, the slash through price fooled me in thinking it was still the same size as before but discounted now. Would you agree that a Toyota Vios was sold at the normal price but had a label with the price of the Altis slashed though as being the normal price? Let me know if you want me to make a drawing for you to understand.”

Cruncher, you do seem to be challenged. Perhaps you should make that drawing for your own cognizance.

You stated, “Since I'm not senile yet I know the strikethrough price is indeed the price it always was, so I took advantage of the promotion and bought a pack.”

If you knew the slashed-through price was the original price for a 900g box, why is it false advertising to offer an 800g box for 10% less? It certainly is not a deal, but they were not falsifying the promotion and labeling the 10% less-priced box 900g, were they?

I knew the slashed through price was the price this brand of detergent was sold previously, I didn't realize that that the package now was reduced in size but was fooled into believing there had been no change, because honest people don't label it as a promotion and put the slashed through price of a different article on the label and claim that is the normal price.

Ah, now you change your story. Initially you said, “When I came home I noticed that they had reduced the size of the package from 900 gram to 800 gram . . .” Now you say, “I was first wary of the size as being reduced . . .”

Maybe you originally did not see, " . . . it was clearly marked on the price tag that the package was reduced from 900 to 800 gram"

I don't change my story since I posted this long before you started to split hairs, and it was not clearly marked that the package was reduced, It was clearly marked at Makro, which is a different supermarket as the one that makes false promotions.

I also noticed that Top Charoen has a promotion.

Posted 2016-01-09 11:10:42

Actually when I picked up the package I was suspicious already that the size was reduced, but since they published the old price on the label, I was convinced it was the same size.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/884979-they-got-me-again/?p=10287976

I knew the slashed through price was the price this brand of detergent was sold previously, I didn't realize that that the package now was reduced in size but was fooled into believing there had been no change, because honest people don't label it as a promotion and put the slashed through price of a different article on the label and claim that is the normal price.

Ah yes, now we have it, " . . . I didn't realize that that the package now was reduced in size but was fooled into believing there had been no change . . . "

You didn't realize the package size was reduced, so you were fooled into believing the package was the same size.

Okay, in your case we will call it "fools pricing" since the lower priced fooled you into thinking it was the same size.

How much laundry does a guy have to do to remember exactly what a bag of soap-powder weighs and costs?

So do you stock up on it when it's on sale?

Hey, does anyone know where I can get shoe polish on sale? The rainy season is coming and I need to lay in a decent supply.

Ah yes, now we have it, " . . . I didn't realize that that the package now was reduced in size but was fooled into believing there had been no change . . . "

You didn't realize the package size was reduced, so you were fooled into believing the package was the same size.

Okay, in your case we will call it "fools pricing" since the lower priced fooled you into thinking it was the same size.

No in my case we call it a scam, because the slashed through price is a price that has never existed for this size of package.

So you got slightly less product, but you paid slightly less to compensate for this. It was labeled as a promotion, but seeing as you were planning to buy the product anyway, this would not have influenced your buying decision.

I'm struggling to see why this is such a big deal, I have to say.

So you got slightly less product, but you paid slightly less to compensate for this. It was labeled as a promotion, but seeing as you were planning to buy the product anyway, this would not have influenced your buying decision.

I'm struggling to see why this is such a big deal, I have to say.

I never said i was planning to buy the product anyway, at least not at this particular shop, but was fooled in the believe that I had a deal.

And as i have said already the few baht aren't a big issue, it is the way it was brought, because if they do it with this article they most probably use the same malicious practices for other articles where the difference is more than a few baht.