Non-O for new (non-Thai) baby - Singapore or alternatives

After searching I haven't found a clear answer so here goes (details to follow):

1. Father (US passport) in Thailand on non-O extension of stay (retirement)

2. Mother and wife (UK passport) here on extension of stay, following on from my extension.

3. Our extensions expire Feb 10, but we intend to renew them before then.

4. We have a two-month old baby (US/UK citizen) born in BKK that has not yet left Thailand

5. Singapore is my former home of many years, and we regularly travel there, although I recently gave up my PR there.

With that background, my question is about getting our new baby the legal right to stay in Thailand.

We have a late January trip to Singapore, unrelated to visas, so are interested in getting the baby's non-O there. Yes, I am aware of Singapore's reputation with regard to visas, but again, it is a place I have ties to and visit often. I can think of no reason I would ever go to Vientiane (or Penang, honestly), especially with a baby, so a visa from Singapore would be ideal.

However, in addition to the well-known issues with visas from Singapore, the embassy website lists no category for non-O visa except Thai spouse or O-A (Singapore citizen or PR only), neither of which apply in our case.

So my options are as follows:

A. Attempt to get the visa in Singapore, which would require a painful, time-wasting consulate visit and probably one or two extra nights trip extension for processing in the (unlikely?) event it can be done there.

B. Just wait until my next trip to the U.S. sometime this June or July, which would require 2-3 baby overstays on 30-day extensions. The non-O could probably be obtained easily in the Portland honorary consulate near our home there.

C. Some other, simpler/easier method I am missing. A visa-run trip with a baby is not an attractive option for obvious reasons.

Unless this has changed, it is my understanding that no overstay fines would apply for the baby, but I still have a strong preference for keeping things legal, if at all practicable

So, with that, do we have any informed opinions or recent experiences? TIA

Your child has been staying legally in Thailand since the day it was born.

Your child is not on overstay and if you feel uncomfortable travelling with it due to its young age, don't do it yet.

The first time you travel out of Thailand with the child, take along its birth certificate to account for the fact that there is no arrival stamp in its passport.

If the baby was born in BKK it has a legal right to stay !

There is no need to fly in/out for visa exemptions just stay put !

You must obtain a passport for the child.

When you leave for the states just present the babes birth certificate and passport to immigration on departure.

Obtain an "O" visa for the child whist in the States an apply for an extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 which the visa will provide .

If, however you must, as a family travel to Singapore you could try for an "O" visa whilst there ............................

Thanks for the responses, but I think the relevant issue has been missed.

We already have a U.S. passport for the baby. Two others (UK and one more) obtained soon. I do know we can leave Thailand with only the birth certificate.

I also realize that the baby can stay indefinitely in Thailand, but AFTER we leave the first time, that no longer applies. And we WILL leave, as I indicated, already a trip scheduled to Singapore to visit friends and at least two others in the near future to visit grandparents and other relatives/friends. We are simply not the type to go many months or years without overseas travel.

So the question is specifically about getting a non-O visa for the baby so that a legal extension may be filed for upon return to Thailand.

Edited by eppic

It occurred to me that there MAY be an additional option: converting the baby's initial 30-day waiver to a non-O, as I did for my original non-O. Ubonjoe (or anyone else) do you know if this is possible? Although another day wasted at Chaengwattana is probably more painful to me than an overseas trip (or a root canal), it would still be helpful to know if this is a viable option.

Edited by eppic

It occurred to me that there MAY be an additional option: converting the baby's initial 30-day waiver to a non-O, as I did for my original non-O. Ubonjoe (or anyone else) do you know if this is possible? Although another day wasted at Chaengwattana is probably more painful to me than an overseas trip (or a root canal), it would still be helpful to know if this is a viable option.

Immigration will not do a conversion to a non immigrant visa for a dependent extension.

• Like 1

You should try and get the visa while in Singapore. There website is not very good since it leaves out most of the various reasons for getting a non-o visa.

You will need their a birth certificate plus a copy and copies of your passport photo page and extension of stay stamp.

You would know on the date you apply whether not they will do visa. They will not accept the application if they don't want to do it.

• Like 1