IS militant in Syria kills his mother in public for apostasy

rooster59

IS militant in Syria kills his mother in public for apostasy

BASSEM MROUE, Associated Press
BRAM JANSSEN, Associated Press

BEIRUT (AP) — An Islamic State fighter shot and killed his own mother before onlookers at a public square in the Syrian city of Raqqa after he was told that she was not a true believer, activists reported Friday, the latest in IS's brutal public killings over the past two years in the de facto capital of the group's self-proclaimed caliphate.

The killings — and there have been scores since IS blitzed across Iraq and Syria to capture large swaths of land in the summer of 2014 — are meant to spread terror and intimidate opponents. Many have been captured on camera, with the gruesome videos later posted on social media sites.

In 2014, a woman was stoned to death after IS charged her with adultery. Last year, the group put a Jordanian pilot inside a metal cage, then set him on fire, apparently also in Raqqa. The Islamic State has also posted images of beheadings of captured foreigners, journalists and aid workers, including Americans, British and those of other nationalities.

According to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which tracks the Syrian conflict, 20-year-old IS fighter Ali Sakr killed his mother in a public square in Raqqa on Thursday.

The Observatory said the woman, Lina Qassem, who was in her 40s, was originally from Syria's coastal region but had been living in the northern town of Tabqa for more than 20 years. The group said she was trying to convince her son to leave the extremist group and flee Raqqa but he in turn informed IS on her.

Abu Mohammed, a member of a Raqqa-based activist group that reports on IS, known as Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently, also reported the killing on his Twitter account. The Observatory said it took place near the local post office building, where Qassem worked.

Meanwhile, clashes in Iraq between a joint Turkish-Iraqi force and Islamic State militants near a training camp outside the northern city of Mosul left at least 18 IS fighters dead, the Turkish president and a former Iraqi governor said Friday.

The fighting erupted late on Thursday outside the Bashiqa camp, which was at the center of a controversy last month when Turkey moved troops there to protect Turkish trainers aiding local Sunni fighters hoping to take back Mosul from the Islamic State group.

Baghdad has demanded that Turkish troops withdraw, describing their presence as a violation of international law. Ankara has pulled some troops out but not all.

Turkish President Erdogan said on Friday that IS tried to infiltrate Bashiqa, triggering the clashes. Former Iraqi governor Atheel al-Nujaifi, who founded the training camp, said the attack was pre-empted.

But the commander of the training camp, Maj Gen. Mohammed Yahya, told The Associated Press that he was at the camp on Thursday night and there were no such clashes.

"There were airstrikes on IS targets, but there's always airstrikes. Our troops were not involved in any fighting," he insisted.

A commander with the Iraqi Kurdish peshmerga forces at the frontline near the training camp said airstrikes killed 16 IS fighters there on Thursday night. The commander, Saeed Mamuzini, said he was not aware of any fighting between the Sunni-Turkish forces and the IS group.

The disparate accounts of the events Thursday night could not immediately be reconciled.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-09

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to fear a mentality like this. I could not fathom in the slightest harming a family member based on some religious doctrine.

The submission to it is beyond my grasp.

It personifies evil and psychotic behaviour of the truly insane.

Any religion that can create such behaviour should be abandoned by any sane and intelligent person..

Edited by jacko45k

You have to fear a mentality like this. I could not fathom in the slightest harming a family member based on some religious doctrine.

Any religion that can create such behaviour should be abandoned by any sane and intelligent person..

Any religious belief system is susceptible such twisted thinking...ever hear of the story of Abraham and Jacob? This similar family sacrifice narrative is a key touchstone in Judaism and Christianity.

Any religious belief system is susceptible such twisted thinking...ever hear of the story of Abraham and Jacob? This similar family sacrifice narrative is a key touchstone in Judaism and Christianity.

Haven't heard of any Christians stoning someone to death or killing their mother in the name of religion recently.

Haven't heard of any Christians stoning someone to death or killing their mother in the name of religion recently.

I was just pointing out that it's happened in the past and that the practice is sanctioned in the "holy" books of these religions as well. The bigger problem here is the mental deficiency of religious belief itself.

A serious lack of understanding in this post. For starters the story I believe you refer to is Abraham and Isaac. Neither of these two were killed. It was a test of Abraham's faith in God. He passed, nobody was sacrificed. And family sacrifice is neither a touchstone of Judaism or Christianity, in fact there are no sacrifices at all in Christianity, except for perhaps giving up your old ways in search of a better way.

To attempt to compare ISIS' behaviour to these two other religions shows not only ignorance, but a simple hatred of people of faith.

ISIS is drunk on hatred, blood, and violence. Clearly any comparison to them and any other religion would need to be done with other Satanic groups.

Edited by canuckamuck

I was just pointing out that it's happened in the past and that the practice is sanctioned in the "holy" books of these religions as well. The bigger problem here is the mental deficiency of religious belief itself.

Exactly, the past, and that's exactly where these monsters and in fact their whole religion still lives. Barbarians all.

A serious lack of understanding in this post. For starters the story I believe you refer to is Abraham and Isaac. Neither of these two were killed. It was a test of Abraham's faith in God. He passed, nobody was sacrificed. And family sacrifice is neither a touchstone of Judaism or Christianity, in fact there are no sacrifices at all in Christianity, except for perhaps giving up your old ways in search of a better way.

To attempt to compare ISIS' behaviour to these two other religions shows not only ignorance, but a simple hatred of people of faith.

ISIS is drunk on hatred, blood, and violence. Clearly any comparison to them and any other religion would need to be done with other Satanic groups.

I think thou dost protest too much...but I'll give you the names. I'm a little rusty on my old testiment as I gave up christanity for Lent many decades ago. The key point in the story of Abraham, and the reason it is taught to little kids of the religions, is his WILLINGNESS to make the sacrifice. That he was was willing to carry it out if the command to cease had not been forthcoming. The fact that it wasnt carried out is incidental to the story. This is no different than the test of faith for this ISIS fellow in killing his mother...to him, the test of his faith is his willingness to carry out the killing of his mother for her supposed wrong doing and in his eyes an his fellows he did the right thing.

And you say I don't understand religion...the whole of Christanity is build around a "family" member sacrificing himself for others and the celebration of this sacrificial act is the main sacramental act of the Christian church and re-enacted on a daily basis, with believers even drinking the blood and eating the body of their sacrificed "father."

There is also endless blood and gore, including the slaughter of children, in the Torah, the Jewish holy book. The point I'm making is that ALL these belief systems are equally abhorent and should be dumped in the trash bin of history.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Anyone reading the Old Testament would be shocked at the level of barbarity in those pages.

As I have been saying to those that think welcoming people from an alien culture into their home is a good idea, unless you have lived amongst them you have no idea of what they are capable of.

I think thou dost protest too much...but I'll give you the names. I'm a little rusty on my old testiment as I gave up christanity for Lent many decades ago. The key point in the story is that Abraham is celebrated in the story, and by contemporary religionists, for his WILLINGNESS to make the sacrifice. Not for the fact that it wasn't carried out...that is incidental to the story.

And you say I don't understand religion...the whole of Christanity is build around a "family" member sacrificing himself for others and the celebration of this sacrificial act is the main sacramental act of the Christian church and re-enacted on a daily basis, with believers even drinking the blood and eating the body of their sacrificed "father."

There is also endless blood and gore, including the slaughter of children, in the Torah, the Jewish holy book. The point I'm making is that ALL these belief systems are equally abhorent and should be dumped in the trash bin of history.

Why are you comparing Christianity, along with Hinduism, Buddhism etc, with the atrocities that are being committed in the name of Islam? Of course other religions were guilty of barbaric acts in the past, but Isis in the name of Islam is still performing these barbaric crimes. You are coming across as some kind of apologist for these hideous acts.

jacko45k - The best reply I have yet read on this matter and agree wholeheartedly - Re CMNNightRider - Send in the Marines !! They would be good at this ..as they did in Vietnam ...worse than the Waffen SS ..do read 'Kill Anything That Moves': United States War Crimes and Atrocities in Vietnam, 1965-1973... a real account of what the marines are capable of ..yet if I recall they still lost !!!

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

What about that story? Abraham or Jacob sacrificed people? That's a new one on me.

You beat me to it.

Cheers.