Will self driving cars ever take off in Thailand?

Jingthing

Looks like Lonewolf has been on his own too long and needs to catch up on the latest developments in driverless cars......and maybe a bit of computer and IT while he's at it?

the human brain is not yet achievable by replacing the computer.
how many years it took to teach the robot walk(run)?
and still to a level scills not even any NOT professional athlete does not reach
Yes, already have some achievements in it and computer thnology. But I didnt trust computer driver the transportation of my stuff (if there is full coverage of their insurance) .biggrin.png

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Lonewolf has been on his own too long and needs to catch up on the latest developments in driverless cars......and maybe a bit of computer and IT while he's at it?

the human brain is not yet achievable by replacing the computer.
how many years it took to teach the robot walk(run)?
and still to a level scills not even any NOT professional athlete does not reach
Yes, already have some achievements in it and computer thnology. But I didnt trust computer driver the transportation of my stuff (if there is full coverage of their insurance) .biggrin.png

Yet again overestimating the skills required for driving. A computer can outplay jut about anyone at chess, but walking is not possible - to drive you don't need a brain like a human's, you need a set of tools visual mechanical etc and that's it....like chess it is not a sign of intelligence - if it was we could all beat computers at chess.

whether or not we trust our "computer driver" - if you think you can look at it as a single entity; it actually involves the coming together of several ITs - is purely subjective

It seems some people are having problems understanding my comments about F1 - the current thinking today is that so much of the driving has been taken away from the driver in F1 that the only reason there is still one in the car is because the rules state there should be....anyhow, to suggest a driverless F! is quite absurd - no-one would watch; besides the main award is given to a DRIVER not the car.

And to turn the steering wheel. And apply the throttle. And to apply the brakes.

It seems some people are having problems understanding my comments about F1 - the current thinking today is that so much of the driving has been taken away from the driver in F1 that the only reason there is still one in the car is because the rules state there should be....anyhow, to suggest a driverless F! is quite absurd - no-one would watch; besides the main award is given to a DRIVER not the car.

And to turn the steering wheel. And apply the throttle. And to apply the brakes.

How much of that is decided in the pits as the race unfolds - the driver has little or no say in that he may press the pedals etc but exactly what happens then is decided outside the vehicle.. As I said many fail to understand the extent of technology in F1 these days.

fly by wire is already the norm in many modes of transport........ driverless is just not that big a step.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Baby boomer Murcans will drive this revolution. Can't see at night? The car sees!

Good point...if the multitasking human superbrain is so good at driving, how come my 10k baht camera can see so much better than me in the dark...........and I can't process radar or ultrasonics either

Baby boomer Murcans will drive this revolution. Can't see at night? The car sees!

Good point...if the multitasking human superbrain is so good at driving, how come my 10k baht camera can see so much better than me in the dark...........and I can't process radar or ultrasonics either

Also no point in a car having headlights anymore. But weird though that as a pedestrian you'd share a road at night with a car that is dark and electrically propelled. You won't see or hear it coming. But I trust this future autonomous car to 'see' me and take evasive action :-). Or better, put plane/boat navigation lights on top of the car. A red one on the left and a green light on the right. When you see both lights with green on the right the car is moving away from you, if you just see the green light the car crosses your path from the right, etc. works well in shipping and flying.

How much of that is decided in the pits as the race unfolds - the driver has little or no say in that he may press the pedals etc but exactly what happens then is decided outside the vehicle.. As I said many fail to understand the extent of technology in F1 these days.

fly by wire is already the norm in many modes of transport........ driverless is just not that big a step.

whacko much......

Also no point in a car having headlights anymore. But weird though that as a pedestrian you'd share a road at night with a car that is dark and electrically propelled. You won't see or hear it coming. But I trust this future autonomous car to 'see' me and take evasive action :-). Or better, put plane/boat navigation lights on top of the car. A red one on the left and a green light on the right. When you see both lights with green on the right the car is moving away from you, if you just see the green light the car crosses your path from the right, etc. works well in shipping and flying.

Depends what you consider "headlights" are for ..... road safety is aimed at road users, not just car drivers.....it includes everything from pedestrians to livestock so lighting is already designed with this in mind. ....not just to see but be seen......so again a driverless car might well improve on that compromise we call headlamps..... you won't necessarily dazzle an oncoming computer either.

the red/green (port /starboard) on boats tells you if the vehicle is coming towards you or going away. Red is the port (left side) - Red on the right and green on the left means it is coming straight at you....boats in opposite directions always pass "port to port" red on your boat next to red on theirs.

Many electric vehicles, buses etc., are already fitted with artificial noise to make pedestrians aware of their approach.

However, I doubt if a driverless car would rely simply on one system of calculating trajectory.....

Edited by cumgranosalum

So the car manufacturer assumes the liability when someone is killed when the driverless vehicle they sell malfunctions?

Just as they do with any normal car. .....Subject to the usual cover-ups - which might be a bit more difficult with no "driver error" to fall back on.

Edited by cumgranosalum

As an aside, news today from Detroit is that Tesla will have some of its vehicles able to "park themselves without a driver inside with a software update beamed to customers this weekend." These are the Model S sedan or Model X SUV. They must be lined up within 33 feet of the space. The owner can then stand within 10 feet and park the car automatically using the key fob. The car can also exit the spot when the driver summons it with the fob.

Now this is the kind of innovation we have all been waiting for. Right, Mrs?

:)clap2.gif - Thank you Tesla.

As an aside, news today from Detroit is that Tesla will have some of its vehicles able to "park themselves without a driver inside with a software update beamed to customers this weekend." These are the Model S sedan or Model X SUV. They must be lined up within 33 feet of the space. The owner can then stand within 10 feet and park the car automatically using the key fob. The car can also exit the spot when the driver summons it with the fob.

smile.pngclap2.gif - Thank you Tesla.

My buddy's Lexus could do this about 5 years ago.

Not with the key remote, but the car could park itself without him touching the steering wheel.

smile.pngclap2.gif - Thank you Tesla.

self parking has been offered by many major manufacturers (Ford, Benz, BMW etc ) for the last 10 years or so - the technology was developed back in the 1990s

No.

Don't believe the hype/PR either - while huge gains have been made, the "last mile" to 100% driverless cars is a very, very, very long way away.

When an insurance company will insure them, they will then become a reality - so that's who you need to listen to to track real progress wink.png

Speaking of insurance companies, if a "driver-less" car has an accident, just who is at fault, who is fined, who is held responsible, who loses their license etc.

I think a big problem here and other 'developing' nations is the lack of standards and planning on the roadways that leads to right-of-way confusion (for humans for now), extreme traffic jams, and bottlenecks. Before they can implement an automated system, they would need to adjust the roadway systems to follow a set of standards.

Right now, it's the wild wild east... just try and follow road lanes, especially when coming to intersections, toll booths, roundabouts, and other areas where traffic merges and exits... it's a complete nightmare and none of them are following any known or unknown standard besides pandemonium.

Sometimes I'm not sure what some of these lane makers' doing the planning are smoking, but it must be strong! SMH

It took them decades to trust microwave ovens. A large percentage still won't use them.

That's a good point - public acceptance.

I saw a discussion on BBC some years ago about aircraft. The guru was making the point that airliners were now almost at the point where they could operate without pilots, but the public would simply not accept that.

Also, if the seats in airliners were facing backwards it could save lives in the event of a crash. Again, studies seem to indicate passengers would not stand for that. (I always travelled facing backwards on trains for that reason - although of course you could always be hit from the rear!).

I guess it would take a long time for public acceptance by pedestrians and other car users for driverless cars whizzing around. Spooky as well. thumbsup.gif