Sound level complaints

cheeryble

Regarding complaints to the authorities about excessive noise levels....

I'm aware most posters will say it's a waste of time.

However I know of at least one instance when a condo building in a noisy nightclub area complained and it worked and the relevant officials came out with a sound level meter and did a measurement. As it happened the decibels were very slightly below the permissible limit.

This means there must be statutory limits in place presumably and at least some degree of willingness to enforce, in fact it must be someone's responsibility.

Seems the bar is set fairly high decibel wise but this isn't abnormal as I once had it done in the UK and also came out slightly below.

Anyone heard of other instances of authorities doing measurements......and any outcome.......or have any advice on the best approach route to authorities vis a vis intrusive noise?

(please no baseless opinions so prominent on TV, looking for facts)

Edited by cheeryble

Something more useful than the usual cynical old geezer comments that inhabit this website.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/864687-noise-control-avenues-in-thailand-none/

Have a little respect for your elders and listen to what those old geezers have to say.

Many of them have been here for a long time and could teach you a thing or two about Thailand that you didn't know before.

If you don't learn from farangs you will get lessons from Thais that you won't forget anytime soon.

The majority of Thais have a characteristic - or peculiarity, depending on your point of view - that expresses itself in deep resentment of foreigners who criticize or try to change their social, religious, or political practices and traditions.

The propensity for noise-making is a good example of a cultural difference that is hard for many farangs to tolerate. Threads about noise abatement appear often on the ThaiVisa forums, and while some of the solutions might work on an individual basis, the overall problem isn't going to be solved because Thais just don't give a damn.

Something more useful than the usual cynical old geezer comments that inhabit this website.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/864687-noise-control-avenues-in-thailand-none/

Have a little respect for your elders and listen to what those old geezers have to say.

Many of them have been here for a long time and could teach you a thing or two about Thailand that you didn't know before.

If you don't learn from farangs you will get lessons from Thais that you won't forget anytime soon.

The majority of Thais have a characteristic - or peculiarity, depending on your point of view - that expresses itself in deep resentment of foreigners who criticize or try to change their social, religious, or political practices and traditions.

The propensity for noise-making is a good example of a cultural difference that is hard for many farangs to tolerate. Threads about noise abatement appear often on the ThaiVisa forums, and while some of the solutions might work on an individual basis, the overall problem isn't going to be solved because Thais just don't give a damn.

10 years older than you mate.

Your options for dealing with objectionable noise depend to a large extent on where you live.

If you are in a gated community, a condo, or an upscale apartment building, then complaints made to the people who manage the place might very well produce results - for the short, if not the long term.

For those who live among Thais in urban neighbourhoods or in villages, the situation is entirely different and needs a more indirect and diplomatic approach, using Thais to act for you whenever and wherever possible.

This topic has been done to death and the replies are predictable. Very few show insight and the understanding of what works and what is counterproductive. The posters who advocate a belligerent and confrontational response need a check-up from the neck up.

Are you related to the guy who wanted to rebuild the airport with another runway that didn't point towards his Nimmanhaemin condo?

Generally speaking, if you live in a nightlife area (or what passes for it in Chiang Mai until barely 1am) and you don't like noise, then you should not live in a nightlife area.

Last weekend I was in a hotel and it was seriously loud from a nearby bar/club. So I went downstairs again and joined them. I was there for the nightlife anyway.

Nothing to do with nightlife.

Since you mention air traffic it seems there are really a lot more planes these days.

I'm not complaining it's a sign of growth in CM, but I guess having the main takeoff and climb path heading right across the middle of the main built up area at low altitude and full throttle isn't optimal.

I wonder if they ever takeoff south if there are only slight tailwinds.

Also wonder what's happening about the new airport.

Edited by cheeryble

Nothing to do with nightlife.

Since you mention air traffic it seems there are really a lot more planes these days.

I'm not complaining it's a sign of growth in CM, but I guess having the main takeoff and climb path heading right across the middle of the main built up area at low altitude and full throttle isn't optimal.

I wonder if they ever takeoff south if there are only slight tailwinds.

Also wonder what's happening about the new airport.

* Nothing is happening about a new airport. Some expansion of the current airport (parking, more gates) may be on the cards though.

* South-bound flights are preferred to take off to the South, when there is no incoming traffic to Chiang Mai coming the other way. I took off to the South last Friday. Especially around holidays however, the increased number of flights arriving causes almost all departing flights to go North, even the ones going to Bangkok or other destinations to the South. As traffic increases it seems likely to see more North-bound departures also outside of busy times.

* Not optimal: The airport was established in 1921. As recently as the 1970s, Nimmanhaemin looked like this:

post-64232-0-91747400-1452585591_thumb.j

When I moved here in the 1990s there were like two restaurants and one 7-Eleven. But even then I realized where the airport was, and that I didn't want to be under it. (Although I still should have bought something there, of course. wink.png ) Either way though, almost everyone who moved there knew very well where the airport is. And what the traffic situation is. And possibly noise.

Note: All of that may be worth it for the more Bangkokian, ThongLor-ish up-market international feel of the area. I'd much rather have all of that there, than in the Old Town.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai