German’s partner forces confession of deadly reckless driving

snoop1130

German’s partner forces confession of deadly reckless driving
Kongleaphy Keam

post-249866-0-34848500-1452511610_thumb.

PHUKET: -- The partner of a German killed in an alleged drunk driving accident in Phuket last month vowed to push for the harshest penaltiesagainst the driver, who confessed to reckless driving leading to death.

Jakarin Rodpradit, 26, originally denied responsibility for the crash between his car and the motorbike driven by Andreas Walter, 47, with his partner Patcharin Lammai, 35, riding pillion (story here).

“I was conscious, but unable to move immediately after the accident. The driver didn’t stop; he kept trying to drive forward over the top ofmy boyfriend. I couldn’t do anything,” Ms Patcharin told the Phuket Gazette from her hospital bed in December. “Thankfully, a tuk-tuk driver and local man who witnessed the accident were able to stop the driver.”

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Germans-partner-forces-confession-deadly-reckless-driving/62855?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-11

"The first round of negotiations failed after Mr Jakarin alleged that the accident was in fact caused by Mr Walter."

Negotiations? facepalm.gif

Another lying punk.

“About a week after the accident, Ms Patcharin brought us CCTV footage and witnesses that clearly proved

that Mr Jakarin was at fault.” Lt Nipon Temsung of the Karon Police told the Gazette.

Yet: “Mr Jakarin then requested the chance to conduct negotiations again."

“Police did not test his blood alcohol levels at the scene and just let him drive away."

Sterling example of the incompetent, ignorant buffoons they call "police" here.

Bizarro World...

Wait, the guy kills someone and they let him drive away?

They illegally confiscated my drivers license and held me at the Karon police station when I was involved in a trivial accident which broke the plastic of a delivery vans tail light. Less than 500 THB damage.

I lost all respect for the local police a long time ago.

Wait, the guy kills someone and they let him drive away?

They illegally confiscated my drivers license and held me at the Karon police station when I was involved in a trivial accident which broke the plastic of a delivery vans tail light. Less than 500 THB damage.

I lost all respect for the local police a long time ago.

You didn't have the 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card...

"A woman severely injured in a Phuket traffic accident is demanding justice for her dead German partner, following police failing to conduct a blood alcohol test on a man who allegedly had admitted to drinking prior to the fatal accident on December 3."

“I was conscious, but unable to move immediately after the accident. The driver didn’t stop; he kept trying to drive forward over the top of my boyfriend. I couldn’t do anything,” Patcharin Lammai, 35, told the Phuket Gazette from her hospital bed.

“Thankfully, a tuk-tuk driver and local man who witnessed the accident were able to stop the driver.”

“The two officers at the scene did not ask Mr Jakarin whether or not he had been drinking,” said Lt Nipon.

“We also have yet to question any witnesses about this accident.”

"Police detailed the incident in their report, seized Mr Jakarin’s driver’s license and allowed him to return to his vehicle and go on his way."

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Partner-killed-German-seeks-justice-Phuket/62580#ad-image-0

Burn this punk Patcharin.

All the best for you...

And to the guy on another post re: the PUNK DJ, saying negotiation is the way to go with these braindead cops;

Negotiate this <deleted>.

I just read this article to my wife of 6 years.

She told me many Thai people think to do this so the person is dead and not left alive with severe injuries, because the one time cost for a dead person is cheaper than medical costs for a live person with injuries. This, of course, is what she believes and it is somewhat consistent with how auto insurance is written in this country. I also find the mentality of SOME people in Thailand makes this easy to believe.

It was either that or he was just trying to do the typical runner in his car not caring at all that he was driving over a person.

She told me many Thai people think to do this so the person is dead and not left alive with severe injuries, because the one time cost for a dead person is cheaper than medical costs for a live person with injuries.

This is true all over the world. Death is a lot cheaper than being alive.

She told me many Thai people think to do this so the person is dead and not left alive with severe injuries, because the one time cost for a dead person is cheaper than medical costs for a live person with injuries. This, of course, is what she believes and it is somewhat consistent with how auto insurance is written in this country. I also find the mentality of SOME people in Thailand makes this easy to believe.

It was either that or he was just trying to do the typical runner in his car not caring at all that he was driving over a person.

As much as I hate to admit it but your wife is correct
The maximum pay out for death in an auto accident in Thailand is 50,000 THB, Hospital bills can run into the millions
But let us contrast what would have happened to the driver in his home country:
First he would have been immediately taken into custody and taken to a hospital for a blood test, no wasting of time for a breathalyzer (and he pays for the test BTW)
The police would have already taken his driver's license and impounded the vehicle
He could hire a lawyer to appear in court for him but the best the lawyer could do would be to plead for leniency
He would have been fined an amount based upon his blood alcohol level over the legal minimum, from the hospital's lab results, the higher the level, the higher the fine
His license would be suspend for a period of time also using a scale based upon the alcohol level
Instead of incarceration the court would obtain his work record and his fine would be determined by a formula that is based:
Alcohol level over the legal limit X mandatory jail sentence (per point over) X his monthly salary + blood test + court fees = Total and suspension of license
The German government is not going to jail you and spend more money on maintaining you in jail but is going to make you pay based upon how much it would cost you in salary if you were incarcerated
This is how you stop drunk driving and is why you can buy beer or liquor at an AutoBahn rest stop

It's very good that this terrible accident is being high lighted and the alleged culprit will be brought to justice and compensate the dead and injured.

Predicting the future is very difficult. Doubtful if anything will happen to the Thai driver for killing a farang. That isn't a prediction that is history.

A friend witnessed a toddler being mowed down by a pickup on the Patak Road some years back. The pickup then reversed over the badly injured child, just to make sure it was dead and he wouldn't have to pay hospital fees. When my friend told his Thai wife, she simply shrugged.

She told me many Thai people think to do this so the person is dead and not left alive with severe injuries, because the one time cost for a dead person is cheaper than medical costs for a live person with injuries.

Yes but in most civilized countries upbringing, education, included moral and respect for human life is on a level which Thailand and a few other places never will reach because from young age people here simply are not teached human behavior.

Edited by Felt 35

Yes but in most civilized countries upbringing, education, included moral and respect for human life is on a level which Thailand and a few other places never will reach because from young age people here simply are not teached human behavior.

im sure you meant to say "fear of prison" instead of "upbringing,education , included moral and respect for human life"

I can see how it would be cheaper to go to gaol for murder than pay compensation to a motor vehicle accident victim.

Baht is number one here.

It's very good that this terrible accident is being high lighted and the alleged culprit will be brought to justice and compensate the dead and injured.

You have been on this board for so many years that you know very well that this, sadly, will never happen

Just when you think there's nothing else about this place that would shock you!

Having read all the thread I am lost for words.

You have been on this board for so many years that you know very well that this, sadly, will never happen

I think she has a good shot at justice and compensation given the Thai witnesses to the accident.