Chiang Mai: blood donor appeal helps injured British backpacker

webfact

Thailand: blood donor appeal helps injured British backpacker
Press Association

Lucy Hill, who was involved in crash in Chiang Mai, out of immediate danger after response to request for A-negative blood

CHIANG MAI: -- An injured British backpacker is out of immediate danger in hospital in Thailand after an urgent appeal for blood donors went viral.

Queues of people reportedly turned up at the hospital on Monday offering to give the relatively rare type of blood needed by Lucy Hill. The 21-year-old from Bury, Greater Manchester, suffered serious injuries when her moped was involved in a crash with a car in Chiang Mai on Saturday.

Hill, a recent graduate at Leeds Beckett University, underwent emergency surgery and friends appealed online for donations of A-negative blood that she needed for a transfusion. Less than 1% of Thai people have negative blood types, spurring her family and friends to launch the social media campaign for other western travellers to come forward.

Her friend Darren Burns posted on Facebook that she was still in intensive care but had received a blood transfusion and was out of immediate danger at the hospital in Chiang Mai after the appeal prompted the required blood donations.

Burns said: “Compassionate people from all over the world came together over the space of 24 hours for a girl from Bury! She’s been my best friend for what feels like a lifetime and from the updates we’re getting she’s a fighter. Luce’s received the blood transfusion she needs, she’s still in intensive care but is out of immediate danger! Thank you to social media, the people that shared the status and the people who donated their blood because really that’s what made it happen!”

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/11/lucy-hill-thailand-blood-donor-appeal-a-negative

-- The Guardian 2016-01-12

This is a wonderful story of how quickly we as Humanity can come together to assist in saving someone's life because we have social media and because we have enough compassionate folks here in Thailand who exercise their free will to to join in and announce what requires immediate action when it is required. Congratulations to all who assisted in catalyzing this monumental achievement!

Lovely story and God willing will have a happy ending.I Wish a speedy recovery to you Lucy,lassie from Lancashire.

If God want this to have a happy ending, why did God want her to have an accident in the first place?

Sounds very selfish to me....

Edited by Cloggie

Rare Blood Donors Help Save British Tourist
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14526002261452601471l.jpg
Photo: Luce Hill / Facebook

CHIANG MAI — A British backpacker whose accident sparked an online campaign for donations of a rare blood type has regained consciousness and is in stable condition, her doctor said Tuesday.

Lucy Hill, 21, was transferred to Chiang Mai’s Rajavej Hospital on Saturday afternoon after being hit by a car while riding a moped. Her injuries required several urgent operations, but there was not enough blood she could use. Though her A- blood type is only found in three of 1,000 Thais, a Facebook call for donations drew 40 bags of blood by Monday morning, only a day after it was posted.

“The operation on her broken pelvis will be done on Thursday,” said physician Weerachat Lertnithikul. “In a couple of weeks, with physical therapy, we think she should be able to walk again.”

Weerachart said Hill underwent brain surgery Saturday night after the hospital was given the last four bags of of A- blood available from Chiang Mai’s Red Cross.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1452600226&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-13

Family of British Tourist Lucy Hill Overwhelmed as People Cue up to Give Blood in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI -Lucy Hill, 21, the injured backpacker who inspired hundreds of people to donate blood at a Rajavej Chiang Mai Hospital is out of immediate danger.

After undergoing several operations, the Rajavej Hospital told Lucy Hill’s best friend, Lauren Hall, that the rare A Negative blood type at the hospital had run out.

Lauren Hall campaign to help Lucy began on Trip Advisor. Lauren then took her pleas to Facebook. Less than one percent of Thai people have A negative blood, which led Hall to plea to western tourists in Thailand to come forward.

Since the post was shared, there have been reports of hundreds people queuing outside Rajavej Hospital to give blood.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/family-of-british-tourist-lucy-hill-overwhelmed-as-people-cue-up-to-give-blood-in-chiang-mai.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-01-13

Poor girl I hope she makes a full recovery. It is great to see that people donated this rare blood and maybe this is a lesson to be learnt for ALL Thai Hospitals if this is the case. I feel sorry for the girl and hope that she was wearing a helmet and had some experience riding motorbikes and a license...unfortunately too many young and old travellers lives are lost in Thailand due to this factor...

I went to Rahivej hospital to give blood for Lucy on Monday morning. I am A-.

Rajivej reception staff said they don't accept blood donations. sent to the Red cross in the old city.

Just behind Zoe in yellow I went, filled in the form, rejected as I'm over 55 years old.

Good luck young lady.

Edited by piewarmer

I went to Rahivej hospital to give blood for Lucy on Monday morning. I am A-.

Rajivej reception staff said they don't accept blood donations. sent to the Red cross in the old city.

Just behind Zoe in yellow I went, filled in the form, rejected as I'm over 55 years old.

Good luck young lady.

Ah yes, all citizens and aliens are discriminated above 30 or so, and can't get jobs without a Uni degree. Sorry your helpful gesture wasn't productive, but thankfully the girl has had enough donations to save her life.

What exactly is a "moped" classed as being today? In the UK it used to be, as the name suggests, a hybred of a small MOtor fixed to assist a PEDled bicycle, and did not require a licence to drive. I have not seen one of these in Thailand. All the motorcycles and scooters I have seen here require a drivers licence. Is the term "moped" something used to hire a motorcycle/scooter without having a drivers licence? A dangerous practice if so.

"Since the post was shared, there have been reports of hundreds people queuing outside Rajavej Hospital to give blood"

Humanity at it's best......

Yes agreed, humanity at it's best. Let's hope that this behaviour will persist and in future help all humans, farang and Thais.

What exactly is a "moped" classed as being today? In the UK it used to be, as the name suggests, a hybred of a small MOtor fixed to assist a PEDled bicycle, and did not require a licence to drive. I have not seen one of these in Thailand. All the motorcycles and scooters I have seen here require a drivers licence. Is the term "moped" something used to hire a motorcycle/scooter without having a drivers licence? A dangerous practice if so.

Ditto Confused me also. From US

It’s wonderful how this call for blood went ‘viral’ so quickly and that Lucy got the blood and treatment she needed. clap2.gif

My daughter was involved in a similar accident, crossing an intersection on her scooter just as the light turned green while the other driver accelerated through the red light. She was relatively lucky, only a few scrapes and concussion and just one week in hospital. Her passenger friend wasn’t so lucky, having to have several operations on her neck and throat over several months. If they hadn’t been wearing their helmets, they’d both be dead! Nevertheless, because their injuries were “normal”, we couldn’t appeal for public support or funding of course…

I’m working on an ebook to warn people of these kinds of dangers in Thailand. Travelers have virtually no experience of the reckless and erratic driving in Thailand. it’s so common for drivers to ignore red lights that most people in Thailand know to check for this before driving through an intersection (usually). Even the lights are now timed to allow an extra few seconds for the jumpers before switching to green.

But I’ve seen a lot worse and inexperienced drivers and tourists are at grave risk as a result.

If you are new to Thailand then, in the meantime, please search for tips or information about driving conditions here. It could save your life!

One of the most common dangers is when someone overtakes another car coming directly towards you. The driver simply expects you to somehow get out of the way. Firstly, you have to be aware of the oncoming car – it’s not something you anticipate, so it takes time to take it in and react. Secondly, there is usually a motorbike lane that you can veer into – but it’s not always possible to do so if there’s a car parked there already, or another bike already in the lane. If you're on a bike yourself, it is assumed that you will use the motorbike lane, so do so if you can. But when you edge out onto the main part of the road because of parked cars, say, be extra vigilant about cars behind you, as well as cars and bikes coming directly towards you.

(Note. Take care when you use the motorbike lanes because there are some sections that have dangerous pot holes or bumps from tree roots. So don't speed along these lanes!)

Despite plenty of experience driving in Thailand, I still get caught off guard sometimes. Here are some special considerations:

1. If you come from a country that drives on the right, be EXTRA EXTRA careful, especially as a pedestrian! It's already super dangerous, even in a 'safe' country like the UK; I personally know of several people who have been run over (and killed) because they crossed a road while looking left instead of right - where the cars are coming from in left-side-driving countries. You will instinctively start looking in the wrong direction. So a good rule of thumb is to look three or even four times before you start, and to keep looking both ways at all times while you are crossing. There are a few streets (notably Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok) where the direction of traffic changes during rush hour!
  2. When on your bike and driving in the motorbike lane with stationary or slow-moving traffic on your right, it often happens that someone turns into a side lane just as you're driving past (they’re obscured by the car immediately in front and to the side of you and they won't bother to check for oncoming bikes); so be super-vigilant whenever you are passing other vehicles, even if they are stationary and you have a clear stretch of road in front of you. Give yourself time to react and stop or slow down quickly if necessary.
  3. When turning left into a main road from a side lane: it’s normal to look right for oncoming traffic on your side of the road and not to bother with checking left because you don’t expect a car that’s overtaking at high speed coming directly at you on the left.
  4. Pedestrians do not have right of way, even when crossing at a pedestrian crossing when the green walk light is on! Drivers will drive straight through the red lights if they don't see anyone actively crossing - and usually they drive through even while you are crossing (and often they don't even notice)!
  5. In general, don't speed - or at least drive only as fast as you can safely and suddenly stop or avoid an obstruction (or pedestrian or dog or a vehicle coming at you from out of the blue in front or from the side). It's not at all uncommon to smash straight into a stationary vehicle or one coming across you from the side. It usually results in instant death if you're on a bike (imagine the effect of being slammed into a brick wall at 50kmph or even 40kmph).

Watch your back!! Thai drivers tend to tailgate when driving (and typically will be using their phone, picking their nose or even texting) so they will not be able to stop in time if you stop suddenly - even if you stop at a red light! (They will be expecting you to run the light... and will crash straight into your rear if you do stop.) You need to have plenty of space and time to stop gradually if necessary in the case of someone tailgating you. Slow down if the car behind you is too close to give yourself and the driver behind you extra time to react and, if you can, edge over to the left and let him pass.

Remember that Thai drivers' reaction times are even slower due to drink. A lot of drivers will be tipsy, especially late at night. Be extra vigilant.

6. When it's wet, drive even more defensively - treat it just like the icy, slippery conditions at home. The water on the roads might just as well be oil, and it's almost impossible to see clearly. And many Thai drivers drive just as fast and recklessly as on a regular bright, sunny day!

Keep in mind also that dozens of motorbikes have no lights at all (bicycles and mobile food carts very seldom have any lights either), the tail or brake lights of many cars are faulty, and Thai people have dark skin and wear dark clothes. You will be driving among shadows.
  7. Finally, watch out for pedestrians (and dogs and cyclists) who seem to have absolutely no awareness of traffic. They will cross the street without bothering to look at all. And even those that do look seem to wait until you're almost upon them and then suddenly dash out in front of you!

There’s so much more that maybe there should be a kind of safety driving course available to tourists and new expats before being allowed on the roads at all.

1zgarz5.gifPlease drive, walk and cross roads with extreme caution at all times.

Its wonderful how this call for blood went viral so quickly and that Lucy got the blood and treatment she needed. :clap2:

My daughter was involved in a similar accident, crossing an intersection on her scooter just as the light turned green while the other driver accelerated through the red light. She was relatively lucky, only a few scrapes and concussion and just one week in hospital. Her passenger friend wasnt so lucky, having to have several operations on her neck and throat over several months. If they hadnt been wearing their helmets, theyd both be dead! Nevertheless, because their injuries were normal, we couldnt appeal for public support or funding of course

Im working on an ebook to warn people of these kinds of dangers in Thailand. Travelers have virtually no experience of the reckless and erratic driving in Thailand. its so common for drivers to ignore red lights that most people in Thailand know to check for this before driving through an intersection (usually). Even the lights are now timed to allow an extra few seconds for the jumpers before switching to green.

But Ive seen a lot worse and inexperienced drivers and tourists are at grave risk as a result.

If you are new to Thailand then, in the meantime, please search for tips or information about driving conditions here. It could save your life!

One of the most common dangers is when someone overtakes another car coming directly towards you. The driver simply expects you to somehow get out of the way. Firstly, you have to be aware of the oncoming car its not something you anticipate, so it takes time to take it in and react. Secondly, there is usually a motorbike lane that you can veer into but its not always possible to do so if theres a car parked there already, or another bike already in the lane. If you're on a bike yourself, it is assumed that you will use the motorbike lane, so do so if you can. But when you edge out onto the main part of the road because of parked cars, say, be extra vigilant about cars behind you, as well as cars and bikes coming directly towards you.

(Note. Take care when you use the motorbike lanes because there are some sections that have dangerous pot holes or bumps from tree roots. So don't speed along these lanes!)

Despite plenty of experience driving in Thailand, I still get caught off guard sometimes. Here are some special considerations:

• If you come from a country that drives on the right, be EXTRA EXTRA careful, especially as a pedestrian! It's already super dangerous, even in a 'safe' country like the UK; I personally know of several people who have been run over (and killed) because they crossed a road while looking left instead of right - where the cars are coming from in left-side-driving countries. You will instinctively start looking in the wrong direction. So a good rule of thumb is to look three or even four times before you start, and to keep looking both ways at all times while you are crossing. There are a few streets (notably Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok) where the direction of traffic changes during rush hour!

• When on your bike and driving in the motorbike lane with stationary or slow-moving traffic on your right, it often happens that someone turns into a side lane just as you're driving past (theyre obscured by the car immediately in front and to the side of you and they won't bother to check for oncoming bikes); so be super-vigilant whenever you are passing other vehicles, even if they are stationary and you have a clear stretch of road in front of you. Give yourself time to react and stop or slow down quickly if necessary.

• When turning left into a main road from a side lane: its normal to look right for oncoming traffic on your side of the road and not to bother with checking left because you dont expect a car thats overtaking at high speed coming directly at you on the left.

• Pedestrians do not have right of way, even when crossing at a pedestrian crossing when the green walk light is on! Drivers will drive straight through the red lights if they don't see anyone actively crossing - and usually they drive through even while you are crossing (and often they don't even notice)!

• In general, don't speed - or at least drive only as fast as you can safely and suddenly stop or avoid an obstruction (or pedestrian or dog or a vehicle coming at you from out of the blue in front or from the side). It's not at all uncommon to smash straight into a stationary vehicle or one coming across you from the side. It usually results in instant death if you're on a bike (imagine the effect of being slammed into a brick wall at 50kmph or even 40kmph).Watch your back!! Thai drivers tend to tailgate when driving (and typically will be using their phone, picking their nose or even texting) so they will not be able to stop in time if you stop suddenly - even if you stop at a red light! (They will be expecting you to run the light... and will crash straight into your rear if you do stop.) You need to have plenty of space and time to stop gradually if necessary in the case of someone tailgating you. Slow down if the car behind you is too close to give yourself and the driver behind you extra time to react and, if you can, edge over to the left and let him pass.

Remember that Thai drivers' reaction times are even slower due to drink. A lot of drivers will be tipsy, especially late at night. Be extra vigilant.

• When it's wet, drive even more defensively - treat it just like the icy, slippery conditions at home. The water on the roads might just as well be oil, and it's almost impossible to see clearly. And many Thai drivers drive just as fast and recklessly as on a regular bright, sunny day!Keep in mind also that dozens of motorbikes have no lights at all (bicycles and mobile food carts very seldom have any lights either), the tail or brake lights of many cars are faulty, and Thai people have dark skin and wear dark clothes. You will be driving among shadows.

• Finally, watch out for pedestrians (and dogs and cyclists) who seem to have absolutely no awareness of traffic. They will cross the street without bothering to look at all. And even those that do look seem to wait until you're almost upon them and then suddenly dash out in front of you!
Theres so much more that maybe there should be a kind of safety driving course available to tourists and new expats before being allowed on the roads at all.

:redcard2:Please drive, walk and cross roads with extreme caution at all times.

IMHO, The first thing you should tell anyone who wishes to drive a motorcycle in Thailand is, that they require ether a Thai, or International motorcycle drivers license to do so (I presume that your daughter had one or the other prior to her accident). Adding, that to drive without such a licence is unlawful and as a consequence, is not only punishable in a court of law, but also makes all insurance claims nul and void. (These are also the laws in UK. Just imaging what would happen to an unlicensed driver, who was involved in a fatal accident there)

Before you publish your eBook, or other, please seek out the laws, or just the moral attitudes, regarding racism.

My friend is an African-American, an excellent driver, but in your assumption a liability on the Thai roads, meerly due to the colour of his skin...that's only applies in your racist mind.

I also have many Thai friends who do not consume alcohol, are excellent drivers, and hence they should not fit into your racist judgement, that all Thais drive whilst "tipsy".

I honestly believe, that your racism is so deeply rooted that you don't even realise it. What's the legal attitude in the UK regarding, racial vilification these days? From what I gather it's a crime.

All the best with your book.

Lovely story and God willing will have a happy ending.I Wish a speedy recovery to you Lucy,lassie from Lancashire.

If God want this to have a happy ending, why did God want her to have an accident in the first place?

There is no god it's bs you and I know. This, nowadays it's just a figure of speech, it simply means hope you get well .

There is no god it's bs you and I know. This, nowadays it's just a figure of speech, it simply means hope you get well .

Whilst personally being a lifelong atheist, and unable to understand the mentality of believers in a religion, I do recognize that some people need to believe in a higher power.

When a believer says "God willing" they may mean exactly that.... But as a non believer, I never use that expression, unless trying to offer support to a friend who is a known believer, as it doesn't hurt me.

Their bible is full of stories about the testing of people's faith, hence they understand why the injuries in the first place, and if she survives, they will probably then attribute it to their God

So... Who are we to belittle them for it? It's rude and disrespectful, after all, they are free to believe whatever they want to

And it's been my experience, extremists aside, that believers are generally good people, so use your more logical approach to deities, and resist the urge to belittle them, after all, they may have relevant personal experience to substantiate their fath, however illogical you may find it.

this is a nice story of human compassion and i saw it when it broke on facebook. but i'll be the first to say this -- why on earth was she driving a "moped" (motorcycle?) in Thailand??? didn't anyone warn her of the dangers of driving a motorcycle in Thailand???

i hope she makes a full recovery.

this is a nice story of human compassion and i saw it when it broke on facebook. but i'll be the first to say this -- why on earth was she driving a "moped" (motorcycle?) in Thailand??? didn't anyone warn her of the dangers of driving a motorcycle in Thailand???

i hope she makes a full recovery.

Seeing a lot of these motorized push bikes ( mopeds) in rental shops around Rawai, nowadays.... And I agree 100%... Why on earth?

These bikes may be 50cc... No power to get out of trouble, or to keep up with traffic, so I see them as very dangerous to other road users

With locals on bikes riding anywhere between 8 and 80 clicks, commercial buses thinking they own the road, minivan drivers doing what they do, vehicles going both ways on one side of a dual carriageway, etc etc, the roads are already outrageously dangerous... Now they throw in mopeds... Pure lunacy

But it's a hell of a way to learn a lesson, and I too hope she makes a full recovery, and that she warns others, by telling her tale, because the message really needs to get out there.

Someone suggested in an earlier post, that something ( pamphlet) should be handed out to passengers, bound for Thailand, by the airlines, warning of road dangers and stats, the different scams running, not relinquishing your passport etc etc, which is a great idea, because travel agents and travel advisories don't tell of the dangers ( or emphasis them enough)

Mind you, that said, I have no idea as to how to acheive such a thing