A 'genius', a 'starman': politicians join pop stars in Bowie tributes

webfact

A 'genius', a 'starman': politicians join pop stars in Bowie tributes
By Alasdair Sandford | With REUTERS

606x341_320937.jpg

"He provided a lot of the soundtrack of our lives from the first time I heard 'Space Oddity' to watching our athletes appear in those wonderful (London 2012) Olympics to the strains of 'Heroes'"

LONDON: -- From London to Los Angeles and beyond, David Bowie fans have been paying tribute following the news of his death.

In London’s West End they laid flowers where the singer once posed for the cover of his “Ziggy Stardust” album.

In Hollywood they gathered by his star on the Walk of Fame; in New York they put wreaths outside his apartment.

The tributes on social media and elsewhere have reflected the huge influence he had on the world of music and beyond.

The Rolling Stones said on Twitter that they were “deeply shocked and saddened to hear of the death of our dear friend David Bowie”.

“As well as being a wonderful and kind man, he was an extraordinary artist, and a true original,” the band added.

Paul McCartney said in his blog that Bowie’s music “played a very strong part in British musical history” and that he would remember the “great laughs” they had had.

Madonna and Kanye West are among a myriad of other artists joining the chorus of praise.

Somewhat sceptical of politicians who rub shoulders with rock stars, Bowie once said in an interview that he wore a pair of women’s high heels when meeting a previous British prime minister.

But today’s tributes have come from many beyond the world of music, including Downing Street’s current occupant. David Cameron said “an immense British talent” was now being mourned.

“Genius is an over-used word but I think musically, creatively, artistically David Bowie was a genius. For someone of my age he provided a lot of the soundtrack of our lives from the first time I heard ‘Space Oddity’ to watching our athletes appear in those wonderful (London 2012) Olympics to the strains of ‘Heroes’,” Cameron said.

The German government tweeted that Bowie had helped bring the Berlin Wall down, and Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier issued a statement describing the impact Bowie had had on Cold War Berlin during the 1970s, where the artist recorded three albums.

“David Bowie had something that is also essential for diplomacy, that is, the curiosity to discover the world through the eyes of others; the willingness to free himself from obsolete clichés and prejudices; and the conviction that borders can be overcome – even if this is not immediately apparent, as was certainly the case in the divided city of Berlin during the 1970s,” Steinmeier said.

In Russia many Muscovites remember a legendary concert in 1996 as part of his ‘Outside’ tour.

“Bowie was an absolutely amazing personality. He was constantly re-inventing himself. He was a person, it seems like from another planet. It wasn’t a coincidence that he had a song called ‘Starman.’ In a way, I think he sang a bit about himself,” said Moscow resident Georgi Aleksandrov.

Music journalist and broadcaster Paul Gambaccini commented on Bowie’s range of styles: ‘‘Such a variety of styles and images can only come from an inquiring mind and that’s what Bowie had – an intensely interested mind, he was always picking up elements of the avant-garde and bringing them into the mainstream,’‘ he said.

With his death, the images and lyrics in the artist’s final single ‘Lazarus’ is no less striking.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-12

This man's death is being turned into an event.

I'm staggered by the almost blanket coverage of this event on all media platforms. I realise the guy had talent and it's sad for his family, even though he was nearly 70, but the amount of news coverage - blocking out other very important world events makes me wonder how the media priorities their news items. I suppose it's what they call a 'human interest story'.

Sorry if this upsets anyone but honestly........

I'm staggered by the almost blanket coverage of this event on all media platforms. I realise the guy had talent and it's sad for his family, even though he was nearly 70, but the amount of news coverage - blocking out other very important world events makes me wonder how the media priorities their news items. I suppose it's what they call a 'human interest story'.

You obviously have not read and appreciated the information given in the introduction to this thread. David Bowie influenced peoples lives for the better all around the world.

69 years old is a young man in this day and age and no matter if you are 50 or 120 if you are very lucky your family will miss you when you go. Millions and Millions will miss David, thats why its important news.

So why did you bother to take time out from watching so much more important news to post this crap?

Sorry if this upsets you, Philistine.

I was never a big fan, but certainly realize that he was a great talent. All the fake gay stuff turned me off and I never thought his music was up to the standards of the Beatles, Stones and Zeppelin. He was pretty damn good though.

RIP

I saw the Beatles live in 64 and I followed them and the Stones from long before then. Love Zeppline, but the big difference is that almost none of Bowies music dates. Much as I love the others, I have to be honest and say that some (fortunately not all by any means) of the Beatles stuff does date. Stones R&B style of course less so. Zeppline is fixed in time, but something like Life on Mars will go on and on.

China girl is still my favourite and I was tickled pink to find out that it was about a Vietnames girl and why she says "just you shut your mouth" and "sush".

Rock on in the stars David.

I understand that some posters may not "get" Bowie, but millions around the world do..

Every place he ever lived had crowds turning out to pay their respects.
He was the single biggest influence on UK music in the last 4 decades and will continue to be..

His music was the result of genius. anyone who ever learned to play his songs will tell you he was the master of composition.
Lyrically he is without peer. "not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman".
He turned people on to new ideas. I'd never heard of Kahlil Gibran until I heard Bowie singing his name.

He had an uncanny knack of getting fantastic performances out of the wonderful musicians he worked with. Listen to some of the work he did with Mike Garson.

All his peers admired him and held him in high esteem.

Rick Wakeman on Life on Mars.

We will never see the likes of Bowie again in our lifetimes.
His final gift is nothing less than brilliant..

As I said before, I was never a huge fan, but I think all the coverage was warranted. He was a great talent without doubt.