Fifth Wheel.

Ace of Pop

A Ffifth Wheel is when the towing vehicle has a truck turntable mounted, rather than a tow/hitch bar. Yeah, just a different name for a caravan really, but they can be much larger because of the turntable mount.

Edited by Gsxrnz

Fifth wheel is used in UK as well as Oz and US, it is a very,vey old expression that originally comes from the horse drawn era where it was a simple (pre-Ackerman) steering device and now refers to the hub ("wheel" gettit?) on which a semi trailer mounts.

In the US they are particularly fond of RVs of the kind which mounts on the fifth wheel fitted to the bed of a standard pick up truck. I did try to find someone who fitted them in Thailand a while back but it all looked like getting far too expensive.

PS - if you are English it is the "joint" that makes and "articulated lorry" articulate.

I saw you first post and it was quite clear that you were making assumptions and posting when you hadn't bothered to think about the topic before posting.

Edited by Loeilad

attachicon.giffifth_wheel.jpg I was thinking how this speed n distance ting became a Trailer.. seeing as Warpspeed made reference to Trailers in his usefull posts and not fifth wheels him being an American.

I would like to ask how does the OP have anything to do with Motoring in Thailand??? Edited by fredob43

The fifth wheel travel trailers are great. A large bed, queen or even king size is usually above the truck bed and the rest of the trailer is much more spacious. Whoever came up with that was thinking. They also pull much better because the weight is much better distributed. Much less whipping back and forth when it is windy.

The fifth wheel travel trailers are great. A large bed, queen or even king size is usually above the truck bed and the rest of the trailer is much more spacious. Whoever came up with that was thinking. They also pull much better because the weight is much better distributed. Much less whipping back and forth when it is windy.

Like this?

post-35874-0-78669800-1452817021_thumb.j

attachicon.giffifth_wheel.jpg I was thinking how this speed n distance ting became a Trailer.. seeing as Warpspeed made reference to Trailers in his usefull posts and not fifth wheels him being an American.

I would like to ask how does the OP have anything to do with Motoring in Thailand???

Forum Title - Cars, law, traffic rules, drivers license, routes etc. Repair shops, second hand cars, all things petrol and diesel!

So for my next visit to the US ,I was going to rent a small R.V. Then was told a small fifth wheel was best Cause you can sightsee in the small tow truck.,now confused over what's best for 5 weeks freedom.

I defo recommend the small 5th wheel. Leave the 'house' at the campsite and nip off to the pub, Walmart, etc..

Airstream anyone?

So for my next visit to the US ,I was going to rent a small R.V. Then was told a small fifth wheel was best Cause you can sightsee in the small tow truck.,now confused over what's best for 5 weeks freedom.

In the US...smile.png

Small RV ?

Small tow truck

I think not.whistling.gif

Have you much experience with reversing an articulated rig?

Edited by VocalNeal

In the US...smile.png

Small RV ?

Small tow truck

I think not.whistling.gif

Have you much experience with reversing an articulated rig?

Reversing a single caravan is not rocket science. It's hardly an 'articulated rig' is it? Half an hours practice and anyone can do it.

Backing up a double-dogged roadtrain out of Darwin? Now THAT'S an art.

And US Trucks don't have cement mixer engines like here

True that.. they get V8 clonkers not the poxy 4cyl ones we get here.

Something like this will keep you sorted on you US visit.

Monster-Pickup-Truck-5th-Wheel-Setup.jpg

Edited by Don Mega