Police

leighd7

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but does FolkGuitar believe there is no corruption at traffic stops in CM / Thailand.

There is corruption all the way to the top. You don't need no video to prove it. If you do, then your head is in the sand.

As i said in my post earlier, i've been stopped over 50 times in CM and never payed a fine that i didnt deserve (expired tax). But i know dam well that there's plenty of bent cops out there working traffic stops.

If you wish to know what I believe, I suggest you read my posts. I've made it very clear.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not going to get involved in a who can wee the furthest contest here, but I think FolkGuitar is being taken out of context. Like him, I have not encountered any corruption in person. Like him, I'm not saying it doesn't exist - of course it does. The thing being argued here really is how prevalent is it.

We all seem to have different perceptions of how much corruption is out there in the open for all to see. If you see it a lot, you will perceive it as being endemic. There are many people like FG, and myself, and my real life friends who have not personally encountered a police officer or other government official asking for a bribe. That doesn't mean that we don't believe it doesn't exist at all, just that because we haven't personally encountered it in our perception it isn't as widespread as some are saying it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but does FolkGuitar believe there is no corruption at traffic stops in CM / Thailand.

There is corruption all the way to the top. You don't need no video to prove it. If you do, then your head is in the sand.

As i said in my post earlier, i've been stopped over 50 times in CM and never payed a fine that i didnt deserve (expired tax). But i know dam well that there's plenty of bent cops out there working traffic stops.

Consider yourself corrected, because Folkguitar didn't say there is no corruption, only that like me, he hasn't experienced it.

A traffic policeman stopped me today on Taphae RD, by mistake I think, because the cop in front of him was signalling the bike behind to stop, but this guy thought he was signalling me. Anyway, a quick show of my driving licence and I was on my way. No hint of trying to do me for something that wasn't true. I nearly always get waved through, but if I do get stopped, I'm taxed, insured, have a valid driving licence and wearing my seat-belt, so they have no cause to bother me and never have.

Traveled to CM from Lamphun a couple of days ago. Police out in force. Road blocks on Highway 11 before the Narrawat cutoff and on Thapea. Many cops on motorcycles locking car wheels after 3PM. Nobody batted an eye when I went by. I don't think they are 'targeting' farang imho. The only time I've been fined in CM is after being caught doing something they could fine me for. I smile and pay the fine. I've never been shaken down.

You can lead a fat,old horse to water, but you can't make a fat, old guy drink.tongue.png

Do you think being childish and calling me names aids your cause? Calling me fat,or calling me stupid because I don't accept your so-called "proof" is nothing more than a juvenile demonstration that you've already fired all your ammo, and they all turned out to be blanks.

Even from you, i would expect better than this type of attempt at deflection.

What are you calling 'deflection?' My asking you how the video you posted is somehow contrary to my statement? In what way is it contrary?

All I see is that you need to call me names rather that deal with the answer... I think you can't answer the question because your video isn't contrary to anything I've said.

So you post a video and call it proof of something. I say the UFO videos, ISIS videos, and Big Foot videos are just as much proof of what they show.

Would you like to tell us why you think your video is more "proof" of something than mine? Or will you just call me names again...

Two simple questions... I'm asking just two. I've asked before and you haven't answered. Are you unable?

Wow, hang on a minute now FG.How can you deduce that i am name calling? I wouldn't know you from any other anonymous T Visa poster.

Was having some fun dude,as you are getting way too wound up here, as a play on your pic, a thinnish young guy, whom i always thought was in fact you.

How on earth could i possibly know [except now after your reaction] that you are indeed old and fat [presuming that you even are?]and not just trolling again to make trouble.?

You are, as i said a few days earlier getting more and more confused, not only in the issue of the FACT that there are indeed many incidents of police corruption evident to many readers, but now you are saying that i posted the video that clearly shows police corruption first hand when again in FACT i did not post it.

See #225 from Rob13

Thanks for posting that proof, by the way Rob13.

Mate, FG, coffee1.gifand calm down

That's all from me on this issue.

You are again, becoming very irrational and i think that it is you who has in fact fired off all your ammo..[blanks tho']

Go to sleep now,as you say do, with a big smile on your lips..laugh.png cute.

Edited by garryjohns

You can lead a fat,old horse to water, but you can't make a fat, old guy drink.tongue.png

Do you think being childish and calling me names aids your cause? Calling me fat,or calling me stupid because I don't accept your so-called "proof" is nothing more than a juvenile demonstration that you've already fired all your ammo, and they all turned out to be blanks.

What are you calling 'deflection?' My asking you how the video you posted is somehow contrary to my statement? In what way is it contrary?

All I see is that you need to call me names rather that deal with the answer... I think you can't answer the question because your video isn't contrary to anything I've said.

So you post a video and call it proof of something. I say the UFO videos, ISIS videos, and Big Foot videos are just as much proof of what they show.

Would you like to tell us why you think your video is more "proof" of something than mine? Or will you just call me names again...

Two simple questions... I'm asking just two. I've asked before and you haven't answered. Are you unable?

1. Wow, hang on a minute now FG.How can you deduce that i am name calling? I wouldn't know you from any other anonymous T Visa poster.

2. Was having some fun dude,as you are getting way too wound up here, as a play on your pic, a thinnish young guy, whom i always thought was in fact you.

3. How on earth could i possibly know [except now after your reaction] that you are indeed old and fat [presuming that you even are?]and not just trolling again to make trouble.?

4. You are, as i said a few days earlier getting more and more confused, not only in the issue of the FACT that there are indeed many incidents of police corruption evident to many readers, but now you are saying that i posted the video that clearly shows police corruption first hand when again in FACT i did not post it.

See #225 from Rob13

You are again, becoming very irrational.

Go to sleep as you say do, with a big smile on your lips

1. That's some fancy dancing... I'm impressed. And once again, no answers for the two simple questions... Very fancy dancing.

2. The thinnish young guy is in his late 70's. His name is Gordon Lightfoot. He's a folk guitar player. Dude? LOL! Probably before your time, eh?

3. Then why would you say it? Did you think it was clever?

4. Well, you're correct on this one. All you did was re-post it. I'm sure the police will take that into account.

I've said it half a dozen times before in this thread... I've never experienced any form of police corruption nor have I ever personally met anyone who has.

No police corruption in Thailand ??

My mother is the pope...

We were in a queue to pay pay speeding tickets at a checkpoint somewhere near Nakonsawan.

A Thai guy in a BMW was really pissed at the delay this caused.

He said, "look, i'm in a hurry to get to Phuket, how many roadblocks ahead, I'll pay all the fines now, you radio forwards ..."

Like the style.

Cops laughed and off he went.

He didn't get to prepay.but I had a beer and swapped around the keys in the cops bikes.

A warning to other posters on here, a certain prolific poster,full of indignation and unhappiness, might fill your inbox with spam and virus's.

Be careful of the nutters.

Well done to those who posted the video above and also to this website for leaving it up. The police should be exposed as much as possible imho.

The police should be exposed as much as possible imho.

True, to a point, but maybe the underlying factors that contribute to the "need" for police to ask for cash payments should be addressed.

AFAIK the individual police have to supply/buy their own gun, ammo,motorcycle,fuel and many other necessary for the job articles.

All these costs to be met on a salary of about 12,000baht.

I'm not justifying the corruption issue at all, just pointing out that there is a need to be aware of these facts.

IMO, if the police were paid a more realistic salary a lot of the cash payments plans would cease to exist.

Of course, not all would cease, as there are always the greedy ones that want more.

Edited by garryjohns

I dont mind the whole bribe thing, as long as they are polite and nice about it, the benefit is the things i can get away with on the roads in TH compared to the nanny states

advantages and disadvantages go hand in hand

The whole bribe thing is a cancer on society.

My wife's brother was killed by a drunk driver who paid his way out of any responsibility.

Instead of gloating how you get away away with things on Thai roads how about driving within the law?

I dont mind the whole bribe thing, as long as they are polite and nice about it, the benefit is the things i can get away with on the roads in TH compared to the nanny states

My wife's brother was killed by a drunk driver who paid his way out of any responsibility.

Instead of gloating how you get away away with things on Thai roads how about driving within the law?

I agree wholeheartedly. If nobody of paid bribes, corruption wouldn't exist. Sure you can get away with things, but compulsory helmet laws aren't there because somebody, somewhere decided it would be fun. Compulsory seatbelt laws aren't there because somebody, somewhere thought up of a way to crease your nicely ironed clothes. Speed limits aren't there because somebody, somewhere thought it would be a good idea. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture. All of these things have been proven in numerous studies in numerous countries - all such studies being totally independent of each other - that some things reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries on the roads.

I remember when front seatbelt laws were introduced in England in the early 80's and how inconvenient it was. I remember when back seatbelt laws were introduced in Victoria Australia in the early 90's I remember when the speed limit was reduced from 100 to 75 on the Westgate bridge in the mid 90's and how inconvenient it was. Within 6 months though in all cases I saw the numbers of people being killed or seriously injured fall by enough to convince me it was worth a bit of inconvenience, and by that time I'd got over the inconvenience anyway and it was second nature. Even now, 8 years after leaving Aus I still always put my seatbelt on.

Say what you will about nanny states, some laws are there for very, very good reasons. This goes from not being on the road in an incapable state or dangerous vehicle to sending little boys up chimney stacks. If you want to live in absolute law and order free chaos, there are a few countries in Africa where you can do so to your heart's content, but you have to remember that everybody else there can do it as well and there will be no nanny state to protect you and your family.

The best way to end such an argument is to ask a simple question; if your house is broken into, if you are mugged or even robbed at gunpoint, if you or someone close to you is beaten up, if your car is stolen, if you see someone being assaulted, if you accidentally find out someone is grooming children for sex, if you witness a murder, if - you get the picture. Who ya gonna call? If the answer is the police, then please tell me why you think that you are such a special snowflake that you can choose which laws do and don't apply to you. Unless you want to be a hermit, you choose to be a part of society, and if you do that you are choosing to live by the laws you agree with as well as the ones you don't in that society.

I agree wholeheartedly. If nobody of paid bribes, corruption wouldn't exist.

Haha, LOL. No, corruption would still exist.

Bribes are really only the top of the iceberg, and finding creative ways to squeeze money out of things is what the RTP do best.

The problem is with the police itself.

For example: Say you get into an accident and your car needs towing away. Tow truck shows up, and when the bill comes it's strangely expensive. Why? Because the police makes a cut from the tow truck operator.

In fact, the easy bribe-supply is probably what saves everyone from much nastier forms of extortion and racketeering.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The problem is with the police, on that I agree, but we are the ones who allow them to get away with it by playing along with them. I can see your point, but in the example if the tow truck companies also refused to participate in this game, there would be no game - it would take all of us, including tow truck drivers and everybody else to stop being involved in all stages of corruption. Of course, this is not possible, but I don't have to willingly have any part of it. If all of us did our bit we wouldn't be having this discussion now, but just because others won't stop doing it doesn't me I shouldn't.

A lot of years ago, my grandad had to change his name just after he got married because he was unemployable - his father had been a big troublemaker in the miner's union and it meant that grandad and all of his brothers couldn't get work. Should Ganny Archibald have kept his mouth shut and his nose clean to make sure his family would have no problems finding work when they were old enough? In my opinion, no, he did what he did because he knew the conditions were so bad that they were morally wrong. Not exactly the same, but you can see the point I'm making. We all make the choice of whether we accept what is thought to be inevitable no matter how morally wrong it might be, or if we want to do our bit in changing things. Grandad was (very) quietly proud of his dad, despite all of the hardships he'd suffered growing up but on the other side, nan was really ashamed of the whole thing and wouldn't have it talked about openly, and didn't want any of us making mention to grandad's side of the family because they were trouble and had done nothing but cause trouble all their lives and things would have changed anyway without them and she really couldn't see the irony in how much safer it was for her husband, her own sons and later grandsons to work underground (not to mention the perks she got from the union until the day she died because she was part of the family). Different people, different standards, different opinions of how to go about things.

From little things, big things grow. In the meantime, I'm doing my bit. Your mileage may vary.

I agree wholeheartedly. If nobody of paid bribes, corruption wouldn't exist. Sure you can get away with things, but compulsory helmet laws aren't there because somebody, somewhere decided it would be fun. Compulsory seatbelt laws aren't there because somebody, somewhere thought up of a way to crease your nicely ironed clothes. Speed limits aren't there because somebody, somewhere thought it would be a good idea. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture. All of these things have been proven in numerous studies in numerous countries - all such studies being totally independent of each other - that some things reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries on the roads.

I remember when front seatbelt laws were introduced in England in the early 80's and how inconvenient it was. I remember when back seatbelt laws were introduced in Victoria Australia in the early 90's I remember when the speed limit was reduced from 100 to 75 on the Westgate bridge in the mid 90's and how inconvenient it was. Within 6 months though in all cases I saw the numbers of people being killed or seriously injured fall by enough to convince me it was worth a bit of inconvenience, and by that time I'd got over the inconvenience anyway and it was second nature. Even now, 8 years after leaving Aus I still always put my seatbelt on.

Say what you will about nanny states, some laws are there for very, very good reasons. This goes from not being on the road in an incapable state or dangerous vehicle to sending little boys up chimney stacks. If you want to live in absolute law and order free chaos, there are a few countries in Africa where you can do so to your heart's content, but you have to remember that everybody else there can do it as well and there will be no nanny state to protect you and your family.

The best way to end such an argument is to ask a simple question; if your house is broken into, if you are mugged or even robbed at gunpoint, if you or someone close to you is beaten up, if your car is stolen, if you see someone being assaulted, if you accidentally find out someone is grooming children for sex, if you witness a murder, if - you get the picture. Who ya gonna call? If the answer is the police, then please tell me why you think that you are such a special snowflake that you can choose which laws do and don't apply to you. Unless you want to be a hermit, you choose to be a part of society, and if you do that you are choosing to live by the laws you agree with as well as the ones you don't in that society.

Thats cool and all but ill continue driving how i want and enjoying and taking full advantage of the corrupt system in Thailand, if you dont like it then leave :)

Well done to those who posted the video above and also to this website for leaving it up. The police should be exposed as much as possible imho.

The police should be exposed as much as possible imho.

True, to a point, but maybe the underlying factors that contribute to the "need" for police to ask for cash payments should be addressed.

AFAIK the individual police have to supply/buy their own gun, ammo,motorcycle,fuel and many other necessary for the job articles.

All these costs to be met on a salary of about 12,000baht.

I'm not justifying the corruption issue at all, just pointing out that there is a need to be aware of these facts.

IMO, if the police were paid a more realistic salary a lot of the cash payments plans would cease to exist.

Of course, not all would cease, as there are always the greedy ones that want more.

Off topic, but I do like your sig: "We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell

So very true.

Thats cool and all but ill continue driving how i want and enjoying and taking full advantage of the corrupt system in Thailand, if you dont like it then leave :)

I agree (to a point- I would exclude drunks, reckless drivers, etc, but not those who can make a reasonable assessment of what's appropriate)- I'm keeping my after-market exhaust (which is illegal as it has no TIS stamp but conforms to TIS dB regulations), my high-end helmet (which is illegal as it also has no TIS stamp, though 150bt Tesco-quality helmets do...), I'm going to continue to use the middle and right lanes even if I'm not passing or turning (the left lane is for merging traffic, bicycles, and scooters that can't keep up in a crowd, not bikes that make more power than 99% of cars- all two-wheeled vehicles are not created equal and I won't obey a law that compromises my safety). I will also continue to move slightly faster than traffic (regardless of its speed) as it makes me easier to see and less likely I'll be caught in a car's blindspot.

Edit- after reading the post after mine, I should have added I don't really agree with the 'if you don't

Ike it leave' sentiment- people have perfectly legitimate reasons for feeling differently from me, but that's my view on it and I'm going to do what I think is right- I have taken advantage of the system, though, and will continue to do so. I keep a few bills in my jacket in case I need them, though in hundreds of rides in the last year in CM, I've only been pulled over once by a cop who wanted to BS about bikes.

Edited by flare

Thats cool and all but ill continue driving how i want and enjoying and taking full advantage of the corrupt system in Thailand, if you dont like it then leave smile.png

Ah, if you don't like it leave. Oh dear.

I can see that you just don't get it. That's OK, but can I ask that you stay off the road while I'm on it please. Your safety really isn't my concern, but my safety is, so I'd be grateful. whistling.gif

I can see that you just don't get it

He does get it. The problem is endemic, as a foreigner there's very little he can do to fix it. Accepting it and making it work for himself is the best option. Playing by the rules on an uneven playing field is a losing proposition.

Thats cool and all but ill continue driving how i want and enjoying and taking full advantage of the corrupt system in Thailand, if you dont like it then leave smile.png

Ah, if you don't like it leave. Oh dear.

I can see that you just don't get it. That's OK, but can I ask that you stay off the road while I'm on it please. Your safety really isn't my concern, but my safety is, so I'd be grateful. whistling.gif

Well in turn i dont care about your safety so ill drive when i want smile.png

Also you need to get rid of your western false sense of abide by rules = safety

Edited by Jdiddy

I can see that you just don't get it

.....snip............ Playing by the rules on an uneven playing field is a losing proposition.

There are many of us who find that playing by the rules hasn't caused us any loss what so ever, and even enjoy knowing that we often help make things flow a little easier, safer, and perhaps more comfortable for others.

Then... there are those who simply don't give a XXX about others.

Let me tell you a little about what happened to my wife's brother.

He was helping at the scene of an accident when a drunk driver ploughed into him dragging him along the road under the car. Despite horrific injuries he didn't die immediately but after a week in ICU.

My in-laws were left the hospital bill after the drunk driver paid off the appropriate people who I'm sure were nice and polite when they received their take.

What do you suggest I tell my Thai in-laws as they hate corruption? Where should they leave to?

1. Wow, hang on a minute now FG.How can you deduce that i am name calling? I wouldn't know you from any other anonymous T Visa poster.

2. Was having some fun dude,as you are getting way too wound up here, as a play on your pic, a thinnish young guy, whom i always thought was in fact you.

3. How on earth could i possibly know [except now after your reaction] that you are indeed old and fat [presuming that you even are?]and not just trolling again to make trouble.?

4. You are, as i said a few days earlier getting more and more confused, not only in the issue of the FACT that there are indeed many incidents of police corruption evident to many readers, but now you are saying that i posted the video that clearly shows police corruption first hand when again in FACT i did not post it.

See #225 from Rob13

You are again, becoming very irrational.

Go to sleep as you say do, with a big smile on your lips

1. That's some fancy dancing... I'm impressed. And once again, no answers for the two simple questions... Very fancy dancing.

2. The thinnish young guy is in his late 70's. His name is Gordon Lightfoot. He's a folk guitar player. Dude? LOL! Probably before your time, eh?

3. Then why would you say it? Did you think it was clever?

4. Well, you're correct on this one. All you did was re-post it. I'm sure the police will take that into account.

I've said it half a dozen times before in this thread... I've never experienced any form of police corruption nor have I ever personally met anyone who has.

4. Well, you're correct on this one. All you did was re-post it. I'm sure the police will take that into account."

Oh dear, oh dear you sure do have comprehension issues..

I did not post the said video..now, at last you appear at least, to now understand this..took a lot of effort, but bravo.

I did NOT re-post the said video. wakey, wakey please dude.

I did comment on the said video, yes indeed.

Compre-vous?.Goooood.clap2.gif

" I'm sure the police will take that into account."

Huh????? say what FG?? What on earth are you implying now??crazy.gif

1. I did NOT re-post the said video. wakey, wakey please dude.

2. " I'm sure the police will take that into account."

1. Did you not look at your own post? #226? The one with the video in it? You may think you were 'just replying,' but a quick look at that post tells a different story.

2. Are you really this naive?

With all of the newspaper reports of people being arrested for defamation, such as the fellow who posted on Facebook, complaining that the Police didn't handle his complaint correctly, and now the plans the Police announced to charge the sister of the woman who was killed on Koh Tao for simply saying she 'believed' that the police mishandled the investigation... both of them being charged with defamation, charged with computer crimes, etc., etc. Hell, they didn't even go so far as to accuse the police of corruption! What they said was really pretty mild, but wasn't the guy sentenced to 53 years in jail? Or was it 52?

It's obvious that the Police do monitor social media sites. Did you stop to think about the things you've been saying?

The police keep talking about their new "Cyber-Police Unit." Did you think it was formed to look for people playing Solitaire? What do you suppose this unit does all day? Do you suppose they just stumbled into the Facebook postings of these people? They are actively looking. That is their ONLY job.

Posters may be anonymous to other posters, but it probably doesn't take much for the police to get a warrant to discover your identity. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. I doubt the authorities are in any hurry, but they certainly won't let stuff like that just disappear.

Edited by FolkGuitar

A few off topic and insult posts removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

1. I did NOT re-post the said video. wakey, wakey please dude.

2. " I'm sure the police will take that into account."

1. Did you not look at your own post? #226? The one with the video in it? You may think you were 'just replying,' but a quick look at that post tells a different story.

2. Are you really this naive?

With all of the newspaper reports of people being arrested for defamation, such as the fellow who posted on Facebook, complaining that the Police didn't handle his complaint correctly, and now the plans the Police announced to charge the sister of the woman who was killed on Koh Tao for simply saying she 'believed' that the police mishandled the investigation... both of them being charged with defamation, charged with computer crimes, etc., etc. Hell, they didn't even go so far as to accuse the police of corruption! What they said was really pretty mild, but wasn't the guy sentenced to 53 years in jail? Or was it 52?

It's obvious that the Police do monitor social media sites. Did you stop to think about the things you've been saying?

The police keep talking about their new "Cyber-Police Unit." Did you think it was formed to look for people playing Solitaire? What do you suppose this unit does all day? Do you suppose they just stumbled into the Facebook postings of these people? They are actively looking. That is their ONLY job.

Posters may be anonymous to other posters, but it probably doesn't take much for the police to get a warrant to discover your identity. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. I doubt the authorities are in any hurry, but they certainly won't let stuff like that just disappear.

post-224886-0-32105200-1453461171_thumb.

No police corruption in Thailand ??

My mother is the pope...

We were in a queue to pay pay speeding tickets at a checkpoint somewhere near Nakonsawan.

A Thai guy in a BMW was really pissed at the delay this caused.

He said, "look, i'm in a hurry to get to Phuket, how many roadblocks ahead, I'll pay all the fines now, you radio forwards ..."

Like the style.

Cops laughed and off he went.

He didn't get to prepay.but I had a beer and swapped around the keys in the cops bikes.

A warning to other posters on here, a certain prolific poster,full of indignation and unhappiness, might fill your inbox with spam and virus's.

Be careful of the nutters.

Yes, and quite likely to be a snitch also IMO.whistling.gif

There is no need for anyone to snitch... You've done it to yourself. I can understand you wishing to blame someone else for your mistakes, but that's the facts, Jack.

Accusing anyone else is just further defamation.

The newspapers have been filled with stories about the Police Cyper-Crimes Unit lately.

Stories about how they are catching and arresting people who have made on-line defaming comments about them. This stuff hasn't been hidden. There have been news accounts, television reports, even threads right here in ThaiVisa... Anyone with half an ounce of sense knows not to publicly shout out defamatory comments.

Did you think the Cyber-Crimes Unit spends its time playing Pac-man? Wise up. Their ONLY job is to look for and catch people making "illegal" (in their opinion) use of the Internet. That's all they do, 24/7.

Your own bravado in insisting on flaunting your opinion in public is your own fault.

Did you ever stop to wonder why so many of us were very careful with our wordings? We read the papers. We see the writing on the wall.

We are not stupid.

Edited by FolkGuitar