The dog I ran over today

Gecko123

Slow speed. Mid afternoon. Backing up at the Isuzu dealership. Guard waves me backwards. Didn't back up quite as much as I might have and shifted into forward. Speed bump lurch, followed by hysterical yelping. Braked. Got out. Young spottled black female mutt, unable to move. Rear legs paralyzed; watched as it lost control of its bladder.

Last image was of it struggling to drag itself up onto a nearby curb. Guard kept saying "mai pen rai" and waved for me to head for the exit. Last thing I heard was his whistle. Sounded full of recrimination, or was that just my imagination?

RIP little sister. Never meant to do you no harm. So sorry.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you just left it in pain ??

Sicko

You're joking, right? I don't think you have a clue about vet care out in the countryside in Thailand. There wasn't a vet in a 300 kilometer radius who could have performed emergency surgery or would have been equiped to euthanize the dog. The only "humane" thing I could have done would have been to back up and put it out of its misery. Would that have met with your approval?

Edited by Gecko123

Sicko

You're joking, right? I don't think you have a clue about vet care out in the countryside in Thailand. There wasn't a vet in a 300 kilometer radius who could have performed emergency surgery or would have been equiped to euthanize the dog. The only "humane" thing I could have done would have been to back up and put it out of its misery. Would that have met with your approval?

Yes on both counts...

I have lots of 1st hand experience with country vets, I agree with your comment...

So in conclusion, you would have been better to end its suffering as quick as was possible. Leaving it to drag itself into a gutter and die a slow death, something I could never do...

We're all different though !

I remember many years back riding my car in the dark back in the U.S. Hit a cat (at first it was a few thumps--thought it was a rock or something). Then I heard the nasty cat sound--it sounded like a cat making a meow while drunk. In the mirror I saw it still moving, but...like a drunk cat would. I never stopped to come back myself. I didn't do it out of cruelty. I was afraid I would come back to a dead cat and have to live with that image in my head. I feel you. It sucks. You know your heart. You would have never done that if you could have avoided it. It was an accident. Don't kill yourself over it.

I've mowed down about 5 or 6 over the years,unintentionally obviously.

It's high time they had a cull in my opinion,many of these dogs you talk of suffer needlessly on a daily basis,I haven't for the love of me seen scabbier looking dogs anywhere in the world,many are in such ill health it's terrible.

They haven't even got the decency to scoop them up off the road after dying,rotting corpses litter highway 21 between Lom Sak and Phetchabun,I keep a score tally now and my personal best is 8 going to and coming back from shopping.

The other reason I tend not to stop is because the old Farang killed my dog trick by the locals attempting to extort a small fee for a dog they never saw before in their lives,more likely to occur in a back roads village setting.

Edited by stoneyboy

It's high time they had a cull in my opinion,many of these dogs you talk of suffer needlessly on a daily basis,I haven't for the love of me seen scabbier looking dogs anywhere in the world,many are in such ill health it's terrible.

They haven't even got the decency to scoop them up off the road after dying,rotting corpses litter highway 21 between Lom Sak and Phetchabun,I keep a score tally now and my personal best is 8 going to and coming back from shopping.

The other reason I tend not to stop is because the old Farang killed my dog trick by the locals attempting to extort a small fee for a dog they never saw before in their lives,more likely to occur in a back roads village setting.

Wow, that's a pretty high body bag count, stoney boy. Me thinketh that you needth to sloweth down. You're not exagerating are you? Makes me think of how Westmoreland goosed the KIA numbers during the Vietnam war.

OP has passed the Thainess test. Congrats.

Benalibina:

It's Friday night. Lighten up. smile.png

P.S. I have to admit you're right, that is kind of a Thainess test.

Thanks for your compliment....I truly wonder though about the credibility of your OP

Friday night ??

Sicko

Yes on both counts...

I have lots of 1st hand experience with country vets, I agree with your comment...

So in conclusion, you would have been better to end its suffering as quick as was possible. Leaving it to drag itself into a gutter and die a slow death, something I could never do...

We're all different though !

I don't think one knows what one can do till one has tried

Shit go mate you really should have put her down. I know it wouldn't be easy but no way I would have left her dying paralysed in her own piss. <deleted> mai ba lai that just don't cut it for mine

Shit go mate you really should have put her down. I know it wouldn't be easy but no way I would have left her dying paralysed in her own piss. <deleted> mai ba lai that just don't cut it for mine

I think the OP is wishing it was a hypothetical situation as well.

-snip-

Wow, you should open a roadside BBQ. Call it The Roadkill Grill and you'll make a fortune.

-snip-

Wow, you should open a roadside BBQ. Call it The Roadkill Grill and you'll make a fortune.

When I lived in Isaan they scraped dead dogs off the road for dinner. That was Sisaket province, not the north. Women didn't partake.

Animals can be a lot tougher than humans, you may not need to feel so bad. My neighbors dog was run over by a big Lincoln town car, front and rear tires, going slowly. It hid under a tree for 3 days and was then fine. I hit a black cow on a dark night doing about 70 km/hr in a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. Cow was laying motionless in the middle of the highway. Couldn't just leave because someone else would have crashed into it. After 5 minutes, the cow stood up, and then after another minute, it walked off.

From a practical point of view: would you purposely drive over the head with your car or would you get out and smash the brain with a rock with a group of bystanders watching and filming with their mobile phones?

I saw this happen to a soi dog about 3 years ago. After the dog was hit this Thai man carried to the sidewalk. It wasn't his dog; but for the next 2 weeks he cared for the dog. feeding and giving water. I watched from my office window. He would go outside coffee break, lunch and dinner, hold the dogs broken hind legs and helping it to walk. The dog died in the third week. About a month later I was driving and I saw a dog that was hurt the same way. But someone had built a small two wheel cart and tied it around the dogs stomach. The dog could walk ok. I took a picture and showed it to my new Thai friend. His smile was very big, as he said next time. So it happens a lot. It is sad for the driver who hit it.

If you did not feel sad for hurting or killing man's best friend; you have no heart.

Just one question it states ran over a dog near IZUZU dealership am I correct!!!! ! then two post down it says vets in the country side (can I ask where it was) never seen an IZUZU dealership in country side??? I live in a small village in the country side we have a vet in village and so does the neighbouring village they not that rare. Now in not saying you should have done this or that it happens. But I would have questioned the security guard or indeed the dealership as to the nearest vet.