Kawasaki Versys Valve Recall? 2010+

BBJ

Yes, the engine number begins with ER650AEAE .. they took the paperwork and checked up on the computer, and the came to the decision it needed some work, and came to a price of 6 hours labour - I then put them on the phone to kawasaki who informed them that the work was a fixed 700B fee.

Details seem way sketchy ? No one seems to refer to it as a recall, the first dealers thought it was a health check, Kawasaki English support was pretty much useless, they wouldn't even work off the serial number - they said I should take it to a dealers for inspection.

What about yours ?

Go to first page of thread all my posts checked with CM dealer.

So I can check these myself without taking the engine to pieces ?

No of course not in the case of valve & guides, unless it has been written down as a change out in service history.

The engine number is relevant and the year/month of motorcycle.

CM dealer as l have already posted said mine needs valve work done as per the symptoms are showing.

I've a long wait but they didn't seem concerned and said it will be OK, so l can only hope it will be. whistling.gif

So I can check these myself without taking the engine to pieces ?

No of course not in the case of valve & guides, unless it has been written down as a change out in service history.

The engine number is relevant and the year/month of motorcycle.

CM dealer as l have already posted said mine needs valve work done as per the symptoms are showing.

I've a long wait but they didn't seem concerned and said it will be OK, so l can only hope it will be. whistling.gif

Exactly .. So I'm at the mercy of the dealership .. I handed them my green book and they came back with an answer that yes it needed doing.

So you can imagine the surprise when the bike was returned with little more than a regular valve check / oil change .. I can't be believe a topping up the brake fluid is an alternative to swapping out the valves and guides.

It would be nice to get some confirmation in English from a dealer instead of gibberish.

I spoke to a member of CVT thinking there would be plenty of buzz on the forum, he said the recall applied to 2012 models which I had heard about last May.

Yeah I would be annoyed as you if that's how got treated especially if it dropped a valve after taking the time to get the work done.

Did you ask why the valve parts had not been replaced.??

I feel a bit lost about it but haven't got the tools for DIY anymore and don't wanna mess with it really anyway.

That said CM are waiting valve parts for bikes already booked in.

I trust the ChangMai workshop they look well set up and I have enjoyed watching them work on other bikes.

I'm booked in for the valve work, have taken my bike there for computer checks and had a clutch cable change but I will still be standing over them and want to see the new parts as well as the old.

Earlier in this thread it mentions all 650 twins from 2010 to 2012.

Yeah I would be annoyed as you if that's how got treated especially if it dropped a valve after taking the time to get the work done.

I feel a bit lost about it but haven't got the tools for DIY anymore and don't wanna mess with it really anyway.

I trust the ChangMai workshop they look well set up and I have enjoyed watching them work on other bikes.

I'm booked in for the valve work, have taken my bike there for computer checks and had a clutch cable change but I will still be standing over them and want to see the new parts as well as the old.

Where does it mention 2010-2012 ? - I thought we were working off the serial number ??

Mines a 2013, so maybe they are right ? Confirmed by my buddy in CTV.

Ask them ?? Lol .. hell, you know Thailand - I asked and they said it didn't need it, but "why didn't it need it ?" - "yes (smile) just adjustment"

Where does it mention 2010-2012 ? - I thought we were working off the serial number ??

Mines a 2013, so maybe they are right ? Confirmed by my buddy in CTV.

Ask them ?? Lol .. hell, you know Thailand - I asked and they said it didn't need it, but "why didn't it need it ?" - "yes (smile) just adjustment"

Apologies my mistake 2010 - 2012 l read in some other forum which maybe the correct info, this forum 2010 +.

Because mine is a 2011 that is why l took it to CM to confirm.

Yeah I would guess with your 2013 when stripped and examined yours had the correct parts and OK.

Like you say this is Thailand and getting answers from Kwacka workshops as other shop makes is difficult, as l have written already that is why l like Kwacka CM quite a few of them speak understandable English.

Has anyone had the valve health check done in kawasaki pattays? If so what was the experience like. I have lost faith in them and am reluctant to take my bike to them. If anyone had a positive experience with them I would like to hear it.

when I sent mine in for (early)valve clearance check just a few days before I saw this topic,, and then called them to ask why they hadn't changed the valves as per info on the forums,, they needed to order parts and make booking before do job,, so I'm guessing they did my valve clearances and checked the part numbers at same time to confirm, which would tie in with the info Recom273 received regarding "valve health check" a bit pissed though as to why do my valve clearances when I required the replacement parts anyway though,,, however, they didn't inform me I needed to come back to have the replacement parts done until I called them later about the info on the forums,,,

Apologies my mistake 2010 - 2012 l read in some other forum which maybe the correct info, this forum 2010 +.

Because mine is a 2011 that is why l took it to CM to confirm.

Exactly ., A Thai owner was telling me about the issue last May - it wasn't until I read this post that I started "worrying"

Like you rightly say, other forums suggest 2010-12. No need for apologies, you have been helpful.

Yeah I would guess with your 2013 when stripped and examined yours had the correct parts and OK.

Let's just hope so :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, to follow up on my valve change out,,

Sent bike in yesterday, job was completed in 6 hours, replaced the valves and guides, oil and filter change, total cost to me was 710 baht, they asked me to return again to recheck the valves in a few 100km's,,

a query that I didn't ask but maybe someone can advise is, should I treat these next few 100km's as a run in period until I return for the recheck? Or would it be normal riding hard?

Apologies, update to my previous follow up, no return required to recheck, I misunderstood the mechanic, who said at 40k km return for check,,, my current Milage is 39700km, I assumed a recheck on the work done at 40k km, in fact he meant good to go for another 40k km

Apologies, update to my previous follow up, no return required to recheck, I misunderstood the mechanic, who said at 40k km return for check,,, my current Milage is 39700km, I assumed a recheck on the work done at 40k km, in fact he meant good to go for another 40k km

Thanks for getting back, so it's safe to presume as my Thai buddies tell me, it's the 2010-12 models but 2013's need to be checked and adjusted.

Whatever way - mine was due for an oil change anyway, so as you, paid 710B for an oil change, valve adjustment .. Not a bad deal I guess.

• 8 months later...
On 4/8/2016 at 8:12 AM, jonnyscot said:

Ok, to follow up on my valve change out,,

Sent bike in yesterday, job was completed in 6 hours, replaced the valves and guides, oil and filter change, total cost to me was 710 baht, they asked me to return again to recheck the valves in a few 100km's,,

a query that I didn't ask but maybe someone can advise is, should I treat these next few 100km's as a run in period until I return for the recheck? Or would it be normal riding hard?

Probably a bit late but are you sure they replaced the valve and guides CM didn't change my 2011 Versys, thought everything OK when leaving workshop, and when l got home discovered it was just the same or worse.

On the 300 kilo return it needed 1/2 litre of oil to correct level, used more fuel than going and the exhaust outlet blacked out with soot as before.

Absolutely gutted CM workshop now cross off my list very disappointed.