Four Mexican tourists dead in Phichit van crash; Six injured

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sorry to hear about this tragedy.

I know we don't see very many Mexican tourists in Thailand.

Viva Mexico.

a lot of latinos mexicans, brazilians, argentinians, chile, is coming to SEA!!!!!!!

Well, I hope to see many more and I hope it works out better for them than happened in this tragedy.

Straight from Mexico and tired, rent a vehicle in the middle of the night, drive on the other side of the road (Mexicans drive on the right side)..in the dark. That was a disaster waiting to happen. RIP to the occupants. I think I'd take my chances with a Thai driver in these circumstances. There's no way I'd do such a thing if I went to Mexico/US.

VERY, VERY, VERY true.

I did it. Almost had a head on collision in the middle of the night.

I'm from Florida. Had my car at a buddy's house in the country. I had been driving in Thailand 18 months or better, and grabbed my Florida ride at about midnight, jet-lagged out the wazoo with a 12 hour time change.

I drove about 3 or 4 miles down the wrong side of the road with no traffic, sober as a judge, came to an S-curve that I knew like the back of my hand, and had no idea why the guy was in my lane, headed straight for me.

He hit the ditch (drove off to his right - he was OK), I yanked it to the right and I was still on the pavement, and that's when it hit me. I was driving on the WRONG side of the road.

I felt lower than whale-shit over that one, and I am SOOOOO happy the guy I ran off the road didn't get hurt!

That was the problem, you are from USA.

RIP - driving long distance after a long flight - fatal mistake.

We really have no idea where the flight came from, and hence its length. However, I suspect the flight. which arrived at Don Muang was short - perhaps from another part of Thailand or Malaysia ? Any travel is tiring, but I would not presume they had jet lag.

Edited by tigermonkey

It can take me as long as 25 hours to get from the W. Coast of the US to Thailand. Right now Bangkok is 15 hours ahead of the US W. Coast time. It takes me 3 or 4 days to truly recover from the trip and the jet lag. I always plan to just rest for the first couple of days.

The idea of arriving and renting something and taking off on strange roads is crazy.

RIP and may others be more careful.

Visit Thailand, enjoy your stay as it can be fatal.

Good try, but missed by a mile.

This was a Mexican tourist driving a rented van filled with other family members. Could just as easily have happened in England or India or Timbuktu.

Nothing to do with the well known risks of driving in Thailand or Venezuela or Russia or Poland etc etc.

Descansa en paz.

Now look what you've done...you ruined his Thai bashing post. ?

Straight from Mexico and tired, rent a vehicle in the middle of the night, drive on the other side of the road (Mexicans drive on the right side)..in the dark. That was a disaster waiting to happen. RIP to the occupants. I think I'd take my chances with a Thai driver in these circumstances. There's no way I'd do such a thing if I went to Mexico/US.

VERY, VERY, VERY true.

I'm from Florida. Had my car at a buddy's house in the country. I had been driving in Thailand 18 months or better, and grabbed my Florida ride at about midnight, jet-lagged out the wazoo with a 12 hour time change.

I drove about 3 or 4 miles down the wrong side of the road with no traffic, sober as a judge, came to an S-curve that I knew like the back of my hand, and had no idea why the guy was in my lane, headed straight for me.

He hit the ditch (drove off to his right - he was OK), I yanked it to the right and I was still on the pavement, and that's when it hit me. I was driving on the WRONG side of the road.

I felt lower than whale-shit over that one, and I am SOOOOO happy the guy I ran off the road didn't get hurt!

There sure seems to be a lot of unsure people out there. You mean none of you Brits ever drove on the continent? My wife, my son, and I all grew up driving on the right side of the road. I first drove a car on the left in Tokyo in 1967--yeah, I rented the car at the airport. My wife and son both drove on the left the first time here in Thailand in 2006. None of us ever had a problem; just keep your mind about you. If you are tired or drunk, sleep it off before you drive--yes, in the car or van right at the airport, if need be.

VERY, VERY, VERY true.

There sure seems to be a lot of unsure people out there. You mean none of you Brits ever drove on the continent? My wife, my son, and I all grew up driving on the right side of the road. I first drove a car on the left in Tokyo in 1967--yeah, I rented the car at the airport. My wife and son both drove on the left the first time here in Thailand in 2006. None of us ever had a problem; just keep your mind about you. If you are tired or drunk, sleep it off before you drive--yes, in the car or van right at the airport, if need be.

I have driven left hand drive cars on the right and right hand drive cars on the left. Leaving airports and especially when getting of the Channel ferry, its easy to forget what side of the road you should be on.

Had a few scares but lucky so far.

But, we know nothing about the driver, he may have driven in Thailand before.

He may well have been forced off the road, or had a blow out, or that he was dazzled and disintoriated by a motorcyclist or pick-up driving towards him on the wrong side of the road, it happens all the time here.

But they were very unlucky to hit a treee.

RIP

VERY, VERY, VERY true.

I hope you bought him a new car and compensated him for stress etc US-style!

There was no damage to either him or his car.

We had both slammed on our brakes and had 200 yards or better to contemplate the maniac in the wrong lane (I thought it was him, he knew it was me) so we were both going maybe 30 mph.

It happened in an "S" curve, where even going 50 mph in broad daylight is pushing it, so neither of us were going very fast to begin with.

The ditch was wide open and had a gentle slope.

It was more like he pulled off the side of the road at 30 mph.

Edited by jaywalker

VERY, VERY, VERY true.

That was the problem, you are from USA.

Wow! Thanks! I love you too!

VERY, VERY, VERY true.

I have driven left hand drive cars on the right and right hand drive cars on the left. Leaving airports and especially when getting of the Channel ferry, its easy to forget what side of the road you should be on.

He may well have been forced off the road, or had a blow out, or that he was dazzled and disintoriated by a motorcyclist or pick-up driving towards him on the wrong side of the road, it happens all the time here.

RIP

I find it extremely difficult to remember which side of the car to get in, whether as a driver or passenger when it's all backwards.

I rented my first right hand drive car in Australia, got in, slammed the door shut, and said "Damn! The steering wheel is over there..."

This was a Mexican tourist driving a rented van filled with other family members. Could just as easily have happened in England or India or Timbuktu.

Nothing to do with the well known risks of driving in Thailand or Venezuela or Russia or Poland etc etc.

Descansa en paz.

Poland?? Please, how can you compare road safety in Poland to Russia or even worse Venezuela and Thailand. Go back to school and learn about the difference!

Descansa en paz.

Poland?? Please, how can you compare road safety in Poland to Russia or even worse Venezuela and Thailand. Go back to school and learn about the difference!

I trust your driving is better than your comprehension. You missed the whole point of my post. Can you pronounce FACETIOUS?facepalm.gif

Oh, BTW, if you are an offended Pole by any chance, przepraszam.

Descansa en paz.

I trust your driving is better than your comprehension. You missed the whole point of my post. Can you pronounce FACETIOUS?facepalm.gif

Oh, BTW, if you are an offended Pole by any chance, przepraszam.

It might be true that my driving is better than my comprehension. Anyway I understand what you mean in your post and I don't feel offended.

I just know that there is huge difference between high risk of driving in Thailand or Russia, but relatively low risk in Poland. Not as low as in Germany for sure but far from Thailand.

I don't get the wrong side argument. We drive on the right side of the road where I come from too but its not that hard to make the adjustment. Its not like its a completely different form of travel, like going from a submarine to a space rocket or whatever.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I'm sure they were tired. But I have rented many a vehicle here in LOS & the tyres were tired i.e. bald & the brakes were useless. For the sake of the survivors i hope theres an investigation as to how the accident was caused.

VERY, VERY, VERY true.

RIP

Exactly, we know little about the driver or the accident and I doubt the tree was either in the right or left lane of the road. So, there was probably more to the accident than just driving the wrong way. Yes, it is easy to get confused, if you don't pay attention. When driving on the left and especially when turning, I too have had a few instances I wanted to go to the right, but I didn't. Driving the wrong way for any distance, unless no one else is on the road, seems unconscious. At the first sign of a vehicle approaching head-on, most people would become aware.

"Surawat speculated that the crash may have occurred because the tourist who was driving at the time was exhausted."

They were driving the van themselves?

Stupid as stupid can be.

Som nam naa

Yes stupid as stupid can be.

Because Thais drive on the WRONG side of the road according to the Mexicans, ands not only the Mexicans.

In addition the Mexican driver was sitting on the wrong side driving the Van.

In a nutshell everything was WRONG as far as the Mexicans are concerned.

They learned the hard way and had to come to Thailand to learn it.

What evidence have you seen which makes you think the accident was caused because of which side of the road they drove. They hit a tree. On which lane of the road do you think the tree was standing?

I'm sure they were tired. But I have rented many a vehicle here in LOS & the tyres were tired i.e. bald & the brakes were useless. For the sake of the survivors i hope theres an investigation as to how the accident was caused.

Oh dear Newbie, oh dear, oh dear, If you have rented many vehicles in Thailand you would know much better than to ask silly things like that.

No I don't believe this, you have got to be a Troll sending us up.

Mexicans normally just pull over and sleep. Strange one this..

Yeah Mexicans are all alike. Even in death the racism continues.

Come on Jingthing, you know better than to take exception to that. You know perfectly well the only reason he did not say Poles, is because they pack so many into a Trabant they can't pull over, as no one can reach the hand brake.

And that's only when they are returning the Trabants to Berlin to invite the Germans to take over, because they consider that being invaded by the Germans tanks is more merciful than having to drive one of those rust buckets.

Put in Brits in Reliant Robins if it makes you feel better.

You have much more important real racist posts to deal with and not be wasting your talents rising to jokes.