Taxi driver punches Patong hotel staff for calling a Tuk tuk instead

webfact

Taxi driver punches Patong hotel staff for calling a Tuk tuk instead
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A taxi driver was charged with assault on Wednesday (Jan 13) for punching the Holiday Inn Patong's Human Resource Director in the face on Tuesday (Jan 12) after he saw hotel staff call a tuk tuk to service hotel guests.

Posted by เสียงประชาชน คนภูเก็ต on Thursday, January 14, 2016

A two-minute and 40 second video clip of the angry taxi driver punching the hotel's staff had gone viral after it was posted on a Thai-language Facebook (translated: Phuket Community page) by user Petch Dimond. The video was posted with the message: “Staff call tuk tuk to take tourists to the shopping mall for B200, Taxi driver upset and slap Holiday Inn staff... this is outrageous.”

The clip shows hotel staff leading a group of foreigners to a tuk tuk in front of the taxi driver. The driver then approaches a staff member and, a few moments, begins to assault him.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/-video-taxi-driver-punches-patong-hotel-staff-for-calling-a-tuk-tuk-instead-55792.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-15

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had really hoped the Army would have straightened out these guys, and they did, for a month or two, now it's even worse then it has ever been with taxi drivers taking over more of what they consider "their turf" and defending said turf with violence, thuggery and glares.

I had really hoped the Army would have straightened out these guys, and they did, for a month or two, now it's even worse then it has ever been with taxi drivers taking over more of what they consider "their turf" and defending said turf with violence, thuggery and glares.

That's what happens when you have the mafia running the taxis.

The mafia control big chunks of most tourist areas...what's one to do?

The mafia control big chunks of most tourist areas...what's one to do?

Tour Langkawi instead.

For those who may have missed the very first line in the article:

"A taxi driver was charged with assault on Wednesday for punching the Holiday Inn Patong's Human Resource Director in the face"

The headline seems to describe the incident clearly as well... facepalm.gif

The problem in Phuket is the idea customers in a certain location "belong" to certain drivers, even though that tourist has not asked for transportation yet.

When some one else "takes" that customer, it is regarded as robbery by the original driver as he has lost something that he thought he "possessed".

This really is the mentality here.

I cannot see how an honest taxi driver would ever react like that. If that thug is prepared to behave violently out of some bizarre sense of ownership of the tourists then he almost certainly had more in mind than switching on a legal taxi meter.

Boycott Thailand!

Take his taxi license away for life.

Charge him with assault.

Oh right.

a 500 baht fine, license suspension for a week, and a public apology for harming Thailand's image.

coffee1.gif

I've witnessed fights like this before and your right 500 to 1000 baht fine and go home

Sad

You mean the country

I've had my moments here when I'd gladly pay the 500 or 1000 to punch the Thai person who treated me as less than, in oh so many ways. And yes, I AM happier back in the nanny state now where people for the most part are civil and even friendly. I'll probably end up in court for saying this but if Thailand had an <deleted>, it would be named Phuket, which I believe actually means Phuku.