Fraud complaints drop since opening of jet ski dispute centers

Rimmer

Fraud complaints drop since opening of jet ski dispute centers

n8Jet%20Ski.jpg

Kamolthip Woraphan mans the jet ski dispute assistance center opposite the Pattaya Police Station.

PATTAYA:--In the three months since Pattaya opened three “jet ski dispute assistance centers”, complaints about fraud and extortion have dropped noticeably, an officer manning the Pattaya Beach booth said.

Kamolthip Woraphan, who was manning the booth opposite the Pattaya Police Station on Jan. 5, said there has been an obvious drop in complaints about jet ski vendors fabricating damage and extorting tourists – sometimes under threat of violence – out of tens of thousands of baht for bogus compensation payments.

At the start of the new year, there had not been complaints for several days, Kamolthip said.

Jet ski resolution centers were opened in Pattaya, Jomtien and Koh Larn in late October in an attempt to bring rampant extortion scams under control. The centers encourage vendors to register their watercraft and obtain insurance, while offering mediation services for people facing scams.

The goal is to have all problems handled at the centers, instead of taking matters to police, which have had a checkered record in resolving the scams.

Kamolthip speculated two factors may be behind the reduction in incidents: Jet ski vendors were now cooperating with authorities and not taking advantage of tourists as they once did, or, some third-party vendor may have stepped in to negotiate a compromise without getting authorities involved.

In either case, however, the officer admitted that not all those renting jet skis know about the resolution booths and that more needs to be done to promote their existence.

The three dispute centers are located on Soi 9, near the Pattaya Police Station, Jomtien Soi 5 near the Surf Kitchen restaurant, and at the Koh Larn district office. They are open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/fraud-complaints-drop-since-opening-of-jet-ski-dispute-centers-54792#sthash.yKYm4nBC.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-01-15 footer_n.gif

I'm not seeing the scams now since they have open that booth, so finally something is working. I never thought I would see the day, but I wonder how long it will last. In the high season the jet ski renters can make money just on rental free's. In the low season I don't think they can so that will be the test. Not nearly as many people are renting now, seems the word is out to the Indians, Arabs and the few Russians about past scams. I do see some thai's renting on the weekends though. Also in the past the resters would have 10 or more skis ready to rent now at the same spots I only see them having 2 or 3 and not 7 to 10 young thai thugs on staff just sitting around but now only 2 or 3.

I think its mostly that there arent many people renting them these days. The main scammers at Mikes seem to have gone, I think they ran out of business. Half pint, who was the most violent and should be in a private institution has moved up to the soi 13/2 area and the fat ones seem to have got a boat to hire these days. The uniformed people in the scam reporting box are the sames ones that used to turn up and force people to pay, anyway hopefully they are all suffering financially these days

Get rid of the noisy & dangerous things. All around the world you actually need a special licence to operate a Jet Ski. Here you can just hop on and go with little or no instruction on how to operate them safely. When Thailand gets liability laws then this will stop. I can just imagine the cues of people, who get hurt, waiting for compensation at the courts. Maritime safety like any safety is a joke here.

“jet ski dispute assistance centers”

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"At the start of the new year, there had not been complaints for several days, Kamolthip said."

"instead of taking matters to police, which have had a checkered record in resolving the scams."

"Jet ski vendors were now cooperating with authorities and not taking advantage of tourists as they once did,"

"or, some third-party vendor may have stepped in to negotiate a compromise without getting authorities involved."

From the videos on YouTube, the police, acting as mediators, were actively involved in scamming tourists.

How can we know if this isn't another version of the same thing?

Not the same thing or you would read about daily scams here on TV. Edited by balo

From the videos on YouTube, the police, acting as mediators, were actively involved in scamming tourists.

How can we know if this isn't another version of the same thing?

Yes, a way of keeping the cops out of direct "negotiations" and their noses clean. On the street at night the cops have negotiators in plain clothes collecting "tips" just around the corner.

• 2 weeks later...