Elderly woman killed while young girl, 5, hospitalised after crash

snoop1130

Elderly woman killed while young girl, 5, hospitalised after crash
Eakkapop Thongtub

post-249866-0-38594700-1452857943_thumb.

PHUKET: -- A 68-year-old elderly woman was killed and a 5-year-old girl was hospitalised Friday morning (Jan 15) when a car slammed into theback of the motorbike they were riding.

The accident happened shortly before 9:45am on Heroine-Pa Khlok Rd in Thalang, police said. When authorities arrived on scene they were told by residents that the elderly woman and 5-year-old girl were hit by a car, allegedly at high speed, from behind while the motorbike was switching lanes.

Lt Kraisorn Boonprasop said the police found a damaged Toyota Vios just 150 metres away from the Pa Khlok OrBorTor office. The elderly womanwas found on the road, another 20 metres away, with severe head injuries next to a totaled Yamaha motorbike, he added.

Lt Kraisorn said, "We were told by residents that the motorbike's passenger, a 5-year-old girl, was taken to Thalang hospital already by local residents."

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/elderly-woman-killed-while-young-girl-5-hospitalised-after-crash-55803.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-15

Police hunt driver in fatal hit-and-run

1_2016115152624398_hnBcqrMpuhlgbDiOXrPSE

PHUKET: Police are hunting the driver of a vehicle that struck and killed a woman in Paklok this morning.

Obrom Daengprapai, 68, was dropping her 5-year-old granddaughter off at school when her motorbike was hit by a car while changing lanes, confirmed Lt Kraisorn Boonprasop of the Thalang Police.

“Witnesses told us that Ms Obrom attempted to change from the left lane to the right. However, the driver in the right lane was unable to brake for her in time,” Lt Kraisorn said. “When we arrived, the driver had already fled the scene, leaving behind the car, as we were told that he feared being attacked by locals.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Police-hunt-driver-fatal-hitandrun/62882?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-16

And staying to face a lynch mob you might not get a chance to prove you did no wrong.

That's part of the reason to always have a dash cam running.

If the driver in the OP had driven to the nearest police station, or called emergency services, then there would at least be some mitigating circumstances.

I wonder if any further damage done to girl by the village moving her to hospital...then again emergency response could be inadequate and delayed....

Sounds like a case of speeding but improper lane changing as the culprit

Would you like to have the Girl kept on the road until Transport - Ambulance - arrives??

It can take forever in Phuket for one of those to show up, local's don't pay high transport costs like Tourists, it is not for free you know.

Sounds like the stereotype old lady that probably grew up in a village during quitter times when one could ride a scooter anywhere and anyhow and not have to worry about high speed traffic. Sounds like the car driver was speeding, but changing lanes without knowing and paying attention to what the other cars behind you are doing is well... Sounds like helmets were not used too? All too common and Bad confluence of events.

Fleeing in itself should be grounds for at leadt doubling the maximum punishment. Despicable

I'm inclined to agree but being attacked at the scene of the accident is a genuine concern as it does happen.

By an old lady and a 5 year old.

C'mon man.

Fleeing in itself should be grounds for at leadt doubling the maximum punishment. Despicable

I'm inclined to agree but being attacked at the scene of the accident is a genuine concern as it does happen.

C'mon man.

No by the crowd of onlookers that usually gather.

C'mon man.

So, you condone hit and run ?

Or maybe everyone should just carry a gun in case they get into an accident.....

C'mon man.

So, you condone hit and run ?

Or maybe everyone should just carry a gun in case they get into an accident.....

That absolutely not what I said. If you read my post I said I agree with increased sentences for fleeing the scene. I also acknowledged there are genuine concerns about being attacked by onlookers who are sometimes too quick to assume guilt.

That absolutely not what I said. If you read my post I said I agree with increased sentences for fleeing the scene. I also acknowledged there are genuine concerns about being attacked by onlookers who are sometimes too quick to assume guilt.

That's why under Thai law the driver has 24 hours to turn him/herself into a police station. And just in Thailand, same rule in other 'less developed' countries.

This rule is in place due to the risk of the local mob dispensing local instant justice on the driver.

Unfortunately, Thailand seems not to care much about hit and run - it is a common thing here, mostly to help the driver to sober up before handing themselves in at a local police station. Sad but true.

Unfortunately that is often the case, but the law still allows the 24 hour rule.

That's why under Thai law the driver has 24 hours to turn him/herself into a police station. And just in Thailand, same rule in other 'less developed' countries.

This rule is in place due to the risk of the local mob dispensing local instant justice on the driver.

Which speaks volumes for both Thai society and their law enforcement system.

Which speaks volumes for both Thai society and their law enforcement system.

Yes it does speak volumes about many developing countries. And not just Thailand. Not our western values call, and not our country. We just have to deal with the consequences ....

The rescue wagons are always there before police !!

Just a guess but likely the old lady just switched lanes without looking, seems to be common practice here.

RIP and swift recovery for the little lass.

Just a guess but likely the old lady just switched lanes without looking

yes, that happens every day, same as running away.....(because of strange law here)

The accident actually happened before 9 am. I passed by at 8.55 and the body was still in the road. Makes you wonder what else these reporters get wrong.

It was very important to notice the time. Thank you for passing by.

So you would have every passer by stop, block the road in case they could help?

The first on the scene were presumably already doing that and took the little girl to hospital.....

Sheeez!

Fleeing the scene of the accident in Thailand carries the horrendous punishment of a 2000 baht fine, and of course the fleeing party is automatically declared the culprit, even if it was not his/her fault. All according the Thai law.

If there was anything close to a legal deterrent for this kind of seriously coward behavior, things might change. As of now, it appears that hit and run remains a minor crime, if any crime at all. In a land of zero traffic safety and nearly zero penalty for reckless driving, it is a wonder that Thailand has not overtaken Libya for the number one spot, as most dangerous.

That's one part of the road, which got divider in the middle, because it was notoriously dangerous. There have been lot's of accidents before.

Now, when the road is wide, lot's of cars are driving very fast. I don't know if that has been the case in this situation, but it's possibility.

We talk a lot about the drunk and yaba drivers, but it's also the folks who overestimate their driving skills and drive way too fast, who are killing people.

Maybe some technical solution, like using speed radar to determine cars who drive too fast and then lift a speed bump up for these vehicles, could be introduced to Thai roads?

Edited by Guest