Long term residency in Thailand

I am an over 50 year old financially secure U.S. citizen. I have been living in a Latin American country as a tourist for over 12 years. I must leave within a 90 day period to another country.

I would like very much to move to Chiang Mai. The Thailand embassy, here, told me that because I don't have residency here, they cannot issue a retirement or "O-A" visa.

I was told that I would have to go to a Thailand Consulate in the U.S. to get a visa.

This doesn't seem possible.

Are there alternative options?

You don't need an O-A visa to retire in Thailand.

If you do choose an O-A visa, yes go back to the U.S. and apply at the Thai embassy in D.C. or certain consulates like L.A., New York, or Chicago.

The other option is to begin the process IN Thailand.

For that you enter Thailand probably on a TOURIST VISA which you can get in Latin America, and then do a CONVERSION application at your local Thai immigration office to an O visa (good for 90 days). With that during the last 30 days of that you apply for an annual extension based on retirement in Thailand.

All done without an O-A visa.

Please state how you intend to qualify for retirement in Thailand, financially.

There are three options:

800K baht in Thai bank account seasoned for two months

65K baht income shown with an income letter from the U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate in Chiang Mai

or a COMBINATION.

Better for you if you've got the income.

Above is about qualifying for the RETIREMENT EXTENSIONS in Thailand (also must shown finance proof for the O).

I'm assuming you aren't going to do the O-A in the U.S. probably because like I said you absolutely DO NOT need an O-A visa. Ever. It's only an OPTION.

Another TIP -- it MAY be possible that the Thai embassy where you are in Latin American WILL grant you a SINGLE ENTRY O visa if you tell them your intention to use that to later apply for a retirement extension in Thailand. We don't get many reports from Thai embassies in Latin America but it is DEFINITELY worth asking them. If they say no, then you can just apply for a TOURIST visa instead. Getting the single entry O there will save you that first step in Thailand. It's really much better to arrive with that 90 day O but not necessary.

It's also quite possible that the staff there don't have the first clue that it is even possible and very common to start retirement in Thailand without an O-A visa. But again, worth asking them for the single entry O visa.

Edited by Jingthing

The previous post is generally excellent. I would just make one correction. One reason why you should try to get a Non O prior to arrival is because the conversion, if required, must be done in Bangkok. A few local immigration offices can accept the application and forward it to Bangkok on your behalf, but most cannot. Potentially, this can necessitate two visits to Bangkok just for the conversion which is a pain if you live up country.

• Like 2

The previous post is generally excellent. I would just make one correction. One reason why you should try to get a Non O prior to arrival is because the conversion, if required, must be done in Bangkok. A few local immigration offices can accept the application and forward it to Bangkok on your behalf, but most cannot. Potentially, this can necessitate two visits to Bangkok just for the conversion which is a pain if you live up country.

That's true but there is even another option.

If the OP wants to arrive on a 30 day stamp (no visa, not even a tourist visa)) that could be done as well.

Then he could go to either Vientienne Laos or Penang Malaysia and apply for a single entry O visa at the Thai embassy/consulates there.

I think you could also do a conversion to O of the 30 day stamp in Thailand, don't recall the latest news on that, but that is really not recommended. Too much TIME PRESSURE.

Edited by Jingthing

In a similar position (though from the uk & been living in Asia for the past 8 years, 7 in Singapore & 1 traveling around the region) & would like to get a Non-O based on being over 50 but am confused about the best way to go about this.

My "Plan" was to go somewhere local (Laos or Penang) & use evidence of funds in my Singapore bank account to get the initial Non-O, then use this to open a Thai bank account, seed the funds, get the 1 year extension etc... but I've recently learnt that I have to have the money in a Thai bank account BEFORE I can get the Non-O (my problem being I don't have a Thai bank account).

Is there anyway of getting "on the Retirement ladder" using evidence of funds in a non-Thai bank account (I can't go down the income route as my pension doesn't kick in for a few years but I do have sufficient funds to last me until it does)?

Happy to go back to the uk to do it but from what I've read I'm not confident of getting what I want from there either, especially as my cash is sat in a Singapore Bank account & my assets in the UK are my house & brokerage account there.

Edited by JB300

In a similar position (though from the uk & been living in Asia for the past 8 years, 7 years in Singapore & 1 year traveling around the region) & would like to get a Non-O based on being over 50 but am confused about the best way to go about this.

My "Plan" was to go somewhere local (Laos or Penang) & use evidence of funds in my Singapore bank account to get the initial Non-O, then use this to open a Thai bank account, seed the funds, get the 1 year extension etc... but I've recently learnt that I have to have the money in a Thai bank account BEFORE I can get the Non-O (my problem being I don't have a Thai bank account).

Is there anyway of getting "on the Retirement ladder" using evidence of funds in a non-Thai bank account (I can't go down the income route as my pension doesn't kick in for a few years but I do have sufficient funds to last me until it does).

You can open a bank account with a tourist visa entry you just have to try different banks and different branches of the same bank.

Getting proof of residency will help at most banks. Some immigration offices will issue a certificate of residency. If they will not do it your home country embassy will do one.

Info on opening an account at Bangkok Bank is here. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

• Like 1

Back to the OP. Where are located now?

If you are having to deal with the Thai embassy in Mexico City they will not even issue a tourist visa unless your are a resident.

There are a few honorary Thai consulates in Latin america that would more than likely issue you a single entry non-o or tourist visa. See: http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand-travel-information/honcon-americas.php

The more I read the more attractive the Elite Visa gets. Yes it costs a bit more, but it saves trips and visa runs. No need for re-entry permits, etc. No need for income statement affidavits, embassy trips, bank account money seasoning issues, etc. If one can afford it, and if one comes and goes a lot or travels in and out, it has a lot of pros. Less chance of overstay issues and penalties as there is only one yearly thing to check on each year correct? You are still stuck with the 90 day resident reporting stuff, but that applies to all > 90 day stay processes.

The more I read the more attractive the Elite Visa gets. Yes it costs a bit more, but it saves trips and visa runs. No need for re-entry permits, etc. No need for income statement affidavits, embassy trips, bank account money seasoning issues, etc. If one can afford it, and if one comes and goes a lot or travels in and out, it has a lot of pros. Less chance of overstay issues and penalties as there is only one yearly thing to check on each year correct? You are still stuck with the 90 day resident reporting stuff, but that applies to all > 90 day stay processes.

Being myself convinced about the advantages of the Thailand Elite visa, I don't see why any financially comfortable foreigner would chose any other type of visa.

Being myself convinced about the advantages of the Thailand Elite visa, I don't see why any financially comfortable foreigner would chose any other type of visa.

Because the Thai system of government may not be stable and you would be spending 500,000 baht on a system of rules and regs that could be negated at any moment ?

That would be one reason

Second reason is you might change your mind...I know it's rare...but relationships with Thailand and more importantly with Thai women can go awry leaving you with the dreaded "I can't wait to get the hell outta here" feeling. 500k baht is a big chunk of change to walk away from.

With retirement extension you give up nothing but a little flexibility on where your funds are held. And when you leave you take it all back.

Because the Thai system of government may not be stable and you would be spending 500,000 baht on a system of rules and regs that could be negated at any moment ?

That would be one reason

Second reason is you might change your mind...I know it's rare...but relationships with Thailand and more importantly with Thai women can go awry leaving you with the dreaded "I can't wait to get the hell outta here" feeling. 500k baht is a big chunk of change to walk away from.

With retirement extension you give up nothing but a little flexibility on where your funds are held. And when you leave you take it all back.

Your first argument against opting for the Thailand Elite visa has been repeated since years and years...

Many members (including myself) enjoy highly convenient long term visas since 13 years (!), while, in the meantime, some others keep worrying and prefer to queue at immigration instead.

Second reason is not a reason for financially comfortable people. 500 thousand baht is not worth much in today's world.

Of course, any other option is better for all those who think that 100 thousand baht a year, for the best possible visa, is such an enormous amount of money that they prefer to deal with the immigration requirements and headaches.

The option for an easier life is there though...

Edited by gerry1011

That would be one reason

Agree with the comments about the Thailand Elite visa becoming more & more attractive, but as per the post above, I'm just not sure I'm going to want to stay in Thailand longer than a year or 2.

Especially as my partner (of > 5.5 years) is one of those rare Filippinas that doesn't want to live full time outside of the Philippines & "We" (in reality "She") have just bought a new house there.

Apologies for wandering OT, hope the OP reports back here on how he gets on & good luck with the move.

Edited by JB300