Anyone Else - Water Rationing

pgrahmm

Anyone without a basic tank + pump does not get to complain about the water supply.

Watered the plants downtown this morning. Lovely.

Apparently the water supply was out in the downtown area for a day last week due to maintenance work. Didn't notice.

Nor those without a borehole at least 50m deep giggle.gif

I have 27 ongs and each holds about 1,500 usable litres of water but they don't last forever so I try to keep them topped up when the local fire truck delivers.

Somewhere between 1 and 2 metres under the land is granite bedrock which makes drilling a borehole at least 50 metres deep extremely expensive.

Depth to find water is dependent on the location. In my hometown the groundwater is only 3m below the surface.

In granite you will not find substantial water at any depth.

At the end of December ours would normally be about that but this year it was over a metre below normal levels.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Amphur has been very kind, they've come along and drilled a well for the rice farmer whose rice fields almost surround us, that way the farmer can run a diesel pump 24 hours a day sucking ground water and spreading it around the waterways in his paddies. Said pump is located about thirty f**king feet from my bedroom window and draws the same water of last resort that I use to keep my garden alive, the one that cost me 20k six months ago to have drilled! I'm so pleased, not only do I not get to sleep at night but I look forward to my garden dying by the end of February at the latest. Am I being selfish I ask myself, well the farmer did manage four crops last year and also managed to get the klongs flooded when everyone was being advised not to plant, special treatment perhaps, surely nothing to do with his very high police rank! Hmmmm.

The Amphur has been very kind, they've come along and drilled a well for the rice farmer whose rice fields almost surround us, that way the farmer can run a diesel pump 24 hours a day sucking ground water and spreading it around the waterways in his paddies. Said pump is located about thirty f**king feet from my bedroom window and draws the same water of last resort that I use to keep my garden alive, the one that cost me 20k six months ago to have drilled! I'm so pleased, not only do I not get to sleep at night but I look forward to my garden dying by the end of February at the latest. Am I being selfish I ask myself, well the farmer did manage four crops last year and also managed to get the klongs flooded when everyone was being advised not to plant, special treatment perhaps, surely nothing to do with his very high police rank! Hmmmm.

One of the problems here is that the Thai people find it difficult to grasp the concept of a water table and fail to recognise it as a communal supply. My wife thinks that our well is a personal supply and if we don't take water it won't go down.

We have a guy not far from us that sucks it up and sells it, has 2 or 3 of those pickup bowsers.

Anyone without a basic tank + pump does not get to complain about the water supply.

Apparently the water supply was out in the downtown area for a day last week due to maintenance work. Didn't notice.

I have 27 ongs and each holds about 1,500 usable litres of water but they don't last forever so I try to keep them topped up when the local fire truck delivers.

Somewhere between 1 and 2 metres under the land is granite bedrock which makes drilling a borehole at least 50 metres deep extremely expensive.

Depth to find water is dependent on the location. In my hometown the groundwater is only 3m below the surface.

Thank you for kind but slightly depressing news.

Sorry. Are you certain it is granite?

Granite was formed underground in a vast mass often many kilometers deep. It is solid, stable, hard and virtually impervious hence no water.

But look at the positive side. If built on it, your home will not sink.

Sorry. Are you certain it is granite?

Granite was formed underground in a vast mass often many kilometers deep. It is solid, stable, hard and virtually impervious hence no water.

But look at the positive side. If built on it, your home will not sink.

My wife told me that it was granite a few years ago. She talked to a borehole digger about the cost a few years ago while I was working in Pakistan.

My wife told me that it was granite a few years ago. She talked to a borehole digger about the cost a few years ago while I was working in Pakistan.

He may well have been right but over here they tend to use granite as a generic term.

When I had my house built I asked for black granite tops for the bathroom wash hand basins and on the window sills, I got black limestone.

When it came to do the verandah I went out and bought the granite myself.

A bit academic as far as your concerned, I suspect that with standard Thai equipment a bore hole through granite would be a non starter and limestone the next thing to it.

Out at Nongkwaai today it seemed odd that several moo baans had sprinklers going full pelt watering the grass (and the roads). Is it like a vampire drought that only comes when it's dark??

Talk to the vampire in your brain that makes you expect people to follow rules and be rational.